Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

New update added teams mode and I'm not sure how I feel about it because I've been getting crushed all night. There also seems to be password games and you can buy special themes you missed for 30 tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

NofrikinfuN posted:

New update added teams mode and I'm not sure how I feel about it because I've been getting crushed all night. There also seems to be password games and you can buy special themes you missed for 30 tickets.

Does this include the Luigi's Mansion 3 theme? This is important.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ritznit posted:

Does this include the Luigi's Mansion 3 theme? This is important.

I'm actually wondering about the GameBoy theme that I missed out on.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I believe it is any of them, but I was only missing the Kirby theme.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Everyone's throwing down in Team Battle right now, so this is probably the best time to go for an Invictus win. If you're willing to accept a mostly-bot game. Which I am.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Everyone's throwing down in Team Battle right now, so this is probably the best time to go for an Invictus win. If you're willing to accept a mostly-bot game. Which I am.

I haven't seen an invictus game that was less than 50% bots since week 1.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

NofrikinfuN posted:

I haven't seen an invictus game that was less than 50% bots since week 1.

Every once in a while people who stream Tetris like blink from hard drop organize sessions to get as many people as possible playing invictus.

That is if you don't mind playing against actual grand masters

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah there's another streamer who has an entire league going with rankings and everything and the players it's attracted are terrifyingly good at Tetris

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Every once in a while people who stream Tetris like blink from hard drop organize sessions to get as many people as possible playing invictus.

That is if you don't mind playing against actual grand masters

I rage out playing against random people so this would probably be bad for my self esteem.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
oh man. I didn't have a Switch until the Fire Emblem event so I'm really stoked I can get the GB and Splatoon themes now!!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Team mode does not gently caress around and neither do I.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1205638250733244416
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1205638835557683200

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

^^^ Nice work!

Team Battles are fun except for the part where everyone else is looking at how you're playing and judging you

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I hate team battles.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Remember the Amemiya vs. The World exhibition match at Evo a few years back that was 3v1? Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTE4zEKtxkA

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 14, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This kind of makes me want to quit. I can't comprehend the strategy just watching it, let alone trying to perform it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

4wide owns and is a great demonstration of some of my qualms with the way vs works in guideline Tetris.

At least in this you don't have to go against it as a puyo player.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SeXReX posted:

4wide owns and is a great demonstration of some of my qualms with the way vs works in guideline Tetris.

At least in this you don't have to go against it as a puyo player.

It's a great reminder for me that I only ever win because none of these guys were present.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

NofrikinfuN posted:

It's a great reminder for me that I only ever win because none of these guys were present.

I just take solice in the fact that me being able to get up to level 400 in TGM2 is like, way beyond anything 99% of people I know can do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

holy gently caress that was insane. Here I was riding a high of getting two wins in a row for the first time with a KO record of 20, every time I think I'm pretty decently fast I see one of these motherfuckers and feel like total garbage.

He did have the advantage of being able to get damage multipliers via KOs though, once he managed to knock out a couple and do more damage with each line clear than the max amount that could be sent to him the challengers were fuuuuuuucked.

Is there a reason he occasionally sat on a block rotating it in place for a couple seconds? Is that like a way of memorizing your next pipeline in order to drop them at absurdly fast speeds?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Where's an article where I can read about the strategy and thought process used at that level of Tetris?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUFDyOlUFM

Tafo verbalizes his thought process here and I feel it mirrors my experience. It's just getting to the point where you can do your builds on reflex and are able to not panic when you're dealt a less-optimal piece or you misdrop. I think the first "setup" we all instinctively get the hang of is the big well on one side that you cram an I-piece into, but when you're really good you react the same way to do more wacky poo poo like DT Cannons or Albatross setups.

I think the wiki on Hard Drop is where you want to go to learn about stuff like that, although I'm not yet at the point where I'm memorizing things like openers and perfect clear setups.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/Tetris_Wiki

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

raditts posted:

Is there a reason he occasionally sat on a block rotating it in place for a couple seconds? Is that like a way of memorizing your next pipeline in order to drop them at absurdly fast speeds?

Your garbage meter can top out, and if you get sent more garbage while it's full, it goes to waste. So stalling between line clears gives more time for the garbage to actually pile on the other players before you add more.

PS: I just got my 999 gold points :dance: so if any of you qualified you'll probably be getting emails from Nintendo soon! Good luck!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Your garbage meter can top out, and if you get sent more garbage while it's full, it goes to waste. So stalling between line clears gives more time for the garbage to actually pile on the other players before you add more.

PS: I just got my 999 gold points :dance: so if any of you qualified you'll probably be getting emails from Nintendo soon! Good luck!

How many points did you get in the event? I think I got about 1600

edit: oh snap I got them too! So if you got at least 1600 points, you've got :10bux: in Nintendo funbux coming your way

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 21, 2019

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

raditts posted:

How many points did you get in the event? I think I got about 1600

edit: oh snap I got them too! So if you got at least 1600 points, you've got :10bux: in Nintendo funbux coming your way

Congrats, dude! Me, I only racked up like 1400, which I didn't even grind all that hard for. Easy money!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wooo! Finally unlocked the Gameboy theme, and holy poo poo, I'm never playing with anything else, ever.

Ever :getin:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wooo! Finally unlocked the Gameboy theme, and holy poo poo, I'm never playing with anything else, ever.

Ever :getin:

The Donkey Kong and Mario themes had me expecting something stylized, remixed...
but nope it is just straight up GameBoy music, sounds and graphics and it owns so hard!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's my favorite theme but it can be kinda tough to differentiate pieces when in the top 10 so I don't use it that much.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i haven't been playing as much but did everyone in regular 99 mode just level the gently caress up? I haven't gotten a single maximus in 2020.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Should I make an anki deck or something to memorize common T-spin triple setups because christ I have been practicing in marathon mode for hours and I still have very little success in successfully setting them up, even after studying the patterns on the Tetris wiki.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Argue posted:

Should I make an anki deck or something to memorize common T-spin triple setups because christ I have been practicing in marathon mode for hours and I still have very little success in successfully setting them up, even after studying the patterns on the Tetris wiki.

This video helped me:

Just got my first theme, and I picked the Zelda one. I love it!

These missions and themes are the perfect way to entice me to play everyday, aside from loving the game. Sometimes I get kind of tired of it, but I can usually knock out these missions within 30 minutes every day :toot:

EDIT: I found this video to be extremely helpful in properly setting up T-spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyulht3wfM

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Argue posted:

Set up like the basic setup, or as in setting up chains of multiple t-spins?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A bit of both. Sometimes I see a small region that I remember from the wiki as something that can be turned into a setup for a triple, but in the heat of battle I can't really visualize or recall the pieces I need to complete the setup. The wiki also has some techniques for cleaning up the mess you leave afterwards and I can't recall those properly too.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

i haven't been playing as much but did everyone in regular 99 mode just level the gently caress up? I haven't gotten a single maximus in 2020.

I've had the opposite experience for the most part, but certain dates/times it seems like the absolute rawest players congregate and shut me out completely.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Argue posted:

A bit of both. Sometimes I see a small region that I remember from the wiki as something that can be turned into a setup for a triple, but in the heat of battle I can't really visualize or recall the pieces I need to complete the setup. The wiki also has some techniques for cleaning up the mess you leave afterwards and I can't recall those properly too.

T-spin triple? Those are a little more difficult/rare.. I think you should work on doubles, first. Those are much easier to learn.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The cool thing about t-spin triple setups is that they're almost exactly the same as double t-spin double setups, just with one extra block in the middle of the well, so once you learn one of them you get the other for free

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This feels untrue. I can do doubles pretty well and often already, but when I try to go for a triple I get nothing but catastrophe. Although to be fair Tafo's video on triples itself warns about the consequences, so I guess it's normal.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
...for some reason, when I read your original post, I missed the word "triples"

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I've played over a thousand games and have done exactly zero t-spin triples.
I win roughly half my games at this point though, so eh, I'm good with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't understand... the T-block is 3 tall, but technically two-wide; how the hell do you fit it in somewhere to clear 3 lines at once? The L piece I understand, since the one block that juts out would be at the top, so you wouldn't have to put it down further, but the T-block? How do you get that one bit from the T past what would be the top line you'd be clearing?

I'm :psyduck:-ing over here, trying to picture that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I don't understand... the T-block is 3 tall, but technically two-wide; how the hell do you fit it in somewhere to clear 3 lines at once? The L piece I understand, since the one block that juts out would be at the top, so you wouldn't have to put it down further, but the T-block? How do you get that one bit from the T past what would be the top line you'd be clearing?

I'm :psyduck:-ing over here, trying to picture that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRs9Lny_J7E