Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I love pretty much everything about the Kirby theme, but I think my favorite thing about it is getting the Kirby theme song when you win. I've just left it playing for a couple minutes while I type this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

raditts posted:

I love pretty much everything about the Kirby theme, but I think my favorite thing about it is getting the Kirby theme song when you win. I've just left it playing for a couple minutes while I type this post.

I wouldn't know :negative:

Ninja edit: well, I guess from CPU matches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I feel like my lazy tactic of setting target to KO and only occasionally switching to attackers when I’m being targeted a lot isn’t cutting it anymore.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like my lazy tactic of setting target to KO and only occasionally switching to attackers when I’m being targeted a lot isn’t cutting it anymore.

Nah that's pro af optimal targeting right there. Lazy would be never changing it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is it a good strat? I stopped doing it when I saw that good players were deliberately stacking high to reach near-KO status, so that they could drop a bomb by targeting a whole bunch of attackers at once.

The elegant theme is... ok. It's main advantage is that the music is pretty chill so I never feel like I'm in a battle to the death.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Is it a good strat? I stopped doing it when I saw that good players were deliberately stacking high to reach near-KO status, so that they could drop a bomb by targeting a whole bunch of attackers at once.

Well in a sense that is using the strat. When being attacked a lot, target attackers. It just has the additional step of making yourself more likely to be attacked. Even a really good player who can pull that off won't do that the entire game, and when they play normally again they'll probably target KOs.

You really don't need any advanced strategies (e.g. baiting, 4-wides, t-spin triples) if your goal is just to win normal mode regularly. Invictus maybe. I don't win invictus regularly :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: I found this video to be extremely helpful in properly setting up T-spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyulht3wfM

thanks to this video I've actually managed to do a couple of t-spins, like, on purpose, so thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ You're welcome! Yeah, it's been the only one that's made sense to me so far. T-spins forever now (whenever I can manage to pull them off).

Wasn't there some sort of strategy that involved always leaving two spaced wide open? I mean, you'd obviously not really be going for any Tetris' then. I can't seem to find it online, but I remember someone explaining how it keeps you out of way more jams, since literally every piece can, in some way, clear lines that way.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Wasn't there some sort of strategy that involved always leaving two spaced wide open? I mean, you'd obviously not really be going for any Tetris' then. I can't seem to find it online, but I remember someone explaining how it keeps you out of way more jams, since literally every piece can, in some way, clear lines that way.

That’s what is known as a 2-wide, and allows for a large combo, and also has more of a “release valve” if you get in a jam then a 1-wide setup, yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tempura Wizard posted:

That’s what is known as a 2-wide, and allows for a large combo, and also has more of a “release valve” if you get in a jam then a 1-wide setup, yes.

Thank you!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Save your combo attacks for endgame though, if you target KOs in the beginning or midgame it's likely that all these lines will get sent to different players, and it probably won't do much.

But they're great once you hit top 10. And you can get even longer combos with three- or four-wide setups, but those take more forward planning to keep the combo up.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
3-wides are better but more difficult.

4-wides in the middle are the most difficult, most risky, but can have huge payoffs, probably even better than constantly t-spinning. But you'd be a Tetris god at that point. It's HARD.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Also if you ever center 4-wide against me I'm calling the police

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Tempura Wizard's Power Ranking of Themes (that he's unlocked)

Galaxy
Music - 8/10
Legibility - 6/10
Notes - Theme good. Blocks bad.

Elegant
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 9/10
Notes - The thematic mismatch when using this in Invictus is never not funny.

School
Music - 6/10
Legibility - 7/10
Notes - Why does the music sound sort of sad?

Treasure Map
Music - 2/10
Legibility - 1/10
Notes - It's trash.

Toy Blocks
Music - 9/10
Legibility - 8/10
Notes - This is a good theme.

Donkey Kong
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 9/10
Notes - How high can you get?

Gameboy
Music - 10/10
Legibility - 4/10
Notes - Gotta love this one, right?

Splatoon
Music - 10/10
Legibility - 9/10
It's a pretty good theme, except for when Now or Never has to loop because you're taking too long in the top 10.

Fire Emblem
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 7/10
I like the muted colors but strongly dislike the dead-eyed renders of the characters staring at me.

Kirby
Music - 6/10
Legibility - 10/10
Why does the player out sound effect sound like someone is being shot with a handgun

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 5, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s the sound it makes when a mini boss is defeated in Kirby.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wish there was another way to get the gameboy theme :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish there was another way to get the gameboy theme :negative:

I’m sure they’ll bring it back someday. It’s cool but it’s kinda distracting to play with seriously. Having that color really helps when it gets more intense.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EDIT: I found this video to be extremely helpful in properly setting up T-spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyulht3wfM

Thank you so much for linking this video! I can finally set up T-spins on purpose now! Previously, when garbage blocks set up my T-Spin I could see it and do it, but I never could craft it on my own until now.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Tempura Wizard posted:

Fire Emblem
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 7/10
I like the muted colors but strongly dislike the dead-eyed renders of the characters staring at me.

What? Fire Emblem? I missed a theme god drat :(

I hope they implement a random theme mode. I think it would be more fun to have your theme randomly chosen (from the one's you've unlocked) each game

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I just started joining Tetris Hell and also hope the themes become acquirable again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Schlub Husband posted:

What? Fire Emblem? I missed a theme god drat :(

I hope they implement a random theme mode. I think it would be more fun to have your theme randomly chosen (from the one's you've unlocked) each game

That would be cool. I hope they keep adding more as well. Challenges and unlocks really made me play this game a lot more.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Eeey I just won my first Invictus round

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Was in third place in an invictus match with zero garbage and got a communications error. :tizzy:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What time of day are y'all typically playing Invictus? I want to play it more, but I'm so used to playing instantly that the wait is getting annoying, plus I don't want to be playing against CPUs.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Fire Emblem
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 7/10

I use this theme for the music, especially right after finishing Three Houses when the top 10 boss theme comes on I get all "WAR FEEDS MY BODY AND MIND". My Maximus rate has started taking off since I started treating Tetris battles like a campaign to annihilate Edelgard's foes. I got 3 today, which never happens.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I love everything about the Galaxy theme except the absolutely terrible looking blocks that hurt my eyes for some reason. Really wish we could mix and match things.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ritznit posted:

I love everything about the Galaxy theme except the absolutely terrible looking blocks that hurt my eyes for some reason. Really wish we could mix and match things.

Same, the music is really good but those blocks look kinda dumb

Anyway you guys had better get the Spooky Castle theme if you haven't already

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spooky Castle is the second best theme behind Kirby but I just unlocked Fancy and it's a nice chill theme that doesn't make it feel like you're going to be executed if you lose the match.

I've been getting better at t-spins thanks to that video posted upthread but I can't seem to reliably get KOs, it seems like it's completely dumb luck unless I set it to Attackers and have a bunch of people attacking me (as opposed to the odd case of one person that somehow consistently manages to throw stacks of 15 garbage rows at me as fast as I can clear them). Which often leads to me being in the top 3 with zero KOs and being bodied by someone with 100% damage boost filling up my entire screen with one attack.

Also, is there something up with my joycon sticks or does anyone else randomly have their attack target just randomly go loving crazy all over the screen until you nudge the left stick to make it stop? I don't think I've noticed any drift in any other games.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

raditts posted:

Spooky Castle is the second best theme behind Kirby but I just unlocked Fancy and it's a nice chill theme that doesn't make it feel like you're going to be executed if you lose the match.

I like the spooky theme but I literally cannot reach maximus without the Fire Emblem music. I'm trying to use it this month for spooky reasons but when I switched back today to test my theory I won twice.

Also, the stick thing is the beginning sign of stick drift, or at least it was in my experience.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

You gotta use Spooky Castle this month though, it's the law or something

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That t-spin video was very helpful. I’m actually doing set ups without thinking too hard about it now.:eyepop:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

That t-spin video was very helpful. I’m actually doing set ups without thinking too hard about it now.:eyepop:

Good work!

Now work on your t-spin triples :getin:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
:siren:Next Maximus Cup Announced:siren:

This weekend, starting on the 25th. Those getting 100+ points will get a Luigi's Mansion 3 theme.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

EightFlyingCars posted:

You gotta use Spooky Castle this month though, it's the law or something

Finally managed to get a win in the spooky castle.

Then I switched back to Fire Emblem and promptly got the badges for three wins in a row and winning with only two KOs, as well as getting my first Invictus wins. If they release a Doom theme with Mick Gordon's soundtrack I might become unstoppable.

RIP AND TEAR THOSE BLOCKS

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
How does the local wireless mode work? If I buy the DLC can I play local wireless with someone who doesn’t have the DLC?

(The answer seems impossible to search for, just a million regurgitations of the press release without anyone actually sharing their experience. Or maybe nobody’s tried?)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Pokémon Sword & Shield Maximus Cup this weekend (??)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Won at Invictus! :toot:

Only took... 43 tries. :sweatdrop:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

So this happened

https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1200632869401415680?s=21

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Twist ending on that one.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Twist ending on that one.

I was super mad before the tetris maximus popped up. Then I was just sort of bewildered.

Too bad there isn't a special icon for a zero KO run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's great when you get a win you absolutely did not deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWIN2KmgO7w

I haven't been able to play in a month since I messed up my wrist and it's driving me nuts. I just hopped on to get the last Maximus cup and the Pokemon theme, which probably made things worse. Still won, tho.