Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
strangle the landlords with the entrails of the bosses hth

eta: the best snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

red sampson posted:

it really is that way in the local iron union workers. you work a job and theres like 3 overseers that do absolutely nothing but leech off you.

live in the real world for once, get off your daddys couch

look at this post

just fuckin look

quote:

you work a job and theres like 10 capitalists that do absolutely nothing but leech off you and then one fine day you are laid off.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Feb 20, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

red sampson posted:

it really is that way in the local iron union workers. you work a job and theres like 3 overseers that do absolutely nothing but leech off you.

live in the real world for once, get off your daddys couch

loving lol

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

look at this post

just fuckin look

seems legit, ask Wisconsin about it.

Jerbs

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Whoever came up with video interviews needs to be loving murdered. It's the same bullshit questions from the application form so what's the point of making me repeat my lies on camera before I can come in and repeat them in person?

Also just writing "Motivation" isn't even a question. If it's acceptable to put that little effort into your questions I should be allowed to answer with "Money" but yeah sure I'm really excited by challenging tasks and opportunities for advancement or whatever the hell.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

bloom posted:

what's the point of making me repeat my lies on camera before I can come in and repeat them in person?

It's to filter out all the dirty poors who can't afford a decent laptop and internet connection.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got a call back from a much better place than I am now! But it's an hour and fifteen minutes from home. About $5/hr more and according to this benefits summary I got all health insurance plans cost $0.04/cents a pay with a $500 deductible. Which is better than my current $90/pay and $4000 deductible

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ive had almost a dozen rejections come rolling in today and its rejection syndrome time so gently caress my brain

lol i got denied a job at a retail store because their i scored something bad on their assessment test

also got denied part time data entry because i wasnt higher than 70wpm with 0 errors

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
taco bell wants me to install an app to work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Siljmonster posted:

taco bell wants me to install an app to work

:what:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It's to filter out all the dirty poors who can't afford a decent laptop and internet connection.

Joke is on them, since the person who was supposed to be interviewing me couldn't figure out Skype and then couldn't be bothered to try and fix it.

The joke is still on me because that means I didn't get interviewed.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Siljmonster posted:

ive had almost a dozen rejections come rolling in today and its rejection syndrome time so gently caress my brain

lol i got denied a job at a retail store because their i scored something bad on their assessment test

also got denied part time data entry because i wasnt higher than 70wpm with 0 errors

I'm surprised they're not only telling you that you're rejected but also specifically cuz of their bs tests. That's some commendable transparency

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raldikuk posted:

I'm surprised they're not only telling you that you're rejected but also specifically cuz of their bs tests. That's some commendable transparency

oh theyre just telling me im not the right fit, about 30 minutes or so after assessment

i scored 68wpm 0 errors and i didnt score 69 so i assume thats why

12$ an hour part-time data entry job loving gatekept by an algorithm

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Siljmonster posted:

once i was denied a job as a graveyard stock boy job at a grocery store becuase i "did not have sufficient stock boy experience" and this was like a decade ago so yeah rip

are there like unemployment coins or medallions i can collect?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ive been working since i was 15 years old, 18 years of barely a gap in employment

living paycheck to paycheck for the last 18 years makes me want to die

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Siljmonster posted:

living paycheck to paycheck for the last 18 years makes me want to die

yeah its all ive ever known thats why i decided to stop working and love the tomb

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Koishi Komeiji posted:

extremely ^^^ this, lol

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel depressed because I went to an interview on Tuesday for a position at a start up and the interview lasted for like 15 minutes before the guy said "I have to take a call". Like god, that's just the worst sign is having a short interview and I don't really get why it keeps happening to me. Like gently caress, I walked 30 minutes to get to some restaurant for an interview and the lady spent 4 minutes with me and later told me "we found a more qualified candidate". I don't think I've ever hit above 30 minutes.

Also god it feels great to yell at people in emails when they reject me. At the least I hope it made them upset for a bit.

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

Also god it feels great to yell at people in emails when they reject me. At the least I hope it made them upset for a bit.

What do you say?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've been working graveyard shift in the same job i had since i was 18 and paying my way through college. now i have an mba and am $56,000 in debt. i had my one year review tonight and got a twenty cent raise. i haven't been able to hold anything down for long since i graduated in late 2007 and never really got any interviews

i cleared out my throwaway email's inbox tonight and found a bunch of responses for a professorship at a college i wanted to work at. i had no idea they would be routed there. the deadline was a week ago. i'm crushed lol

edit who knows how long job responses have been routed there? i'm absolutely not willing to check. if i go back and find responses to things i really really loving wanted oh my god

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

i've been working graveyard shift in the same job i had since i was 18 and paying my way through college. now i have an mba and am $56,000 in debt. i had my one year review tonight and got a twenty cent raise. i haven't been able to hold anything down for long since i graduated in late 2007 and never really got any interviews

i cleared out my throwaway email's inbox tonight and found a bunch of responses for a professorship at a college i wanted to work at. i had no idea they would be routed there. the deadline was a week ago. i'm crushed lol

edit who knows how long job responses have been routed there? i'm absolutely not willing to check. if i go back and find responses to things i really really loving wanted oh my god

This physically hurts.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I was job hunting for most of last year and went through everything possible - job boards, recruiters, connections, drat near begging for a position. my favorite rejection ended up being the "you were just behind another candidate" or "if we could take two people, we'd take you too" or even "we loved you better than the other person, but they have an extra piece of paper than you" it's awesome and definitely didn't make me feel like screaming!!

what was really awesome, was an interview I had where I met with the owner, his controller, and some other owner (??) for like 2 loving hours. it was the Friday before Labor Day and they wanted me to come in earlier than I scheduled for and it was a pain in the rear end but gotta do it because any negative thoughts hurt you!! I finally go in, get to hear the owner brag about how little he likes paying people and making them work to death while he's eyeing 100 million in revenue in the coming years. then... after all of that, they tell me the week after I didn't have enough experience. thanks for making me waste the time and getting my hopes up for something that you could have looked at my resume to determine, bitch.

how'd I finally end up getting a job? I got a message on indeed. i ignored it because I got like 10 of them a week, all usually spam. but this one seemed legit and so I followed up with it, and within no time they scheduled me for an interview and then hired me the next day. after like 6 months of bs I finally got a job though making well below what I wanted. I say that, not to brag but to try and give some hope to people ITT who've been looking for much longer than me. poo poo loving sucks, but do keep believing you'll find something. staying positive and being excited for a position in an interview (no matter how much you're fakin it) is a big rear end strength. I've always been good at faking a smile though, so if you're bad at it, I'd say to start there.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
My favourite way of getting rejected is getting ghosted. The job of HR departments is to deal with (potential) employees so is a copypasted "sorry but we picked someone else" email too much to ask for? I don't even care about the details, just let me know so I don't have to keep guessing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bloom posted:

My favourite way of getting rejected is getting ghosted. The job of HR departments is to deal with (potential) employees so is a copypasted "sorry but we picked someone else" email too much to ask for? I don't even care about the details, just let me know so I don't have to keep guessing.

HR is garbage at every job I work at. The place I am now will actively ignore employees unless we copy management into the emails because they can't be bothered to do their jobs.

The first time I tried to use my health insurance I found out that they forgot to file paperwork on their end so I didn't actually have anything yet which was awesome

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bloom posted:

It's all so hosed up, it's bad enough we have to compete with each other they have to make every single part of the process as awful as possible and if you complain about it even a little then you don't win.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
poo poo is hosed up and bullshit

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

i'd been job hunting for about six months, through several failed interviews, when I had what seemed like a great one. The guy doing the interview was also the owner of the business, we sat around for a while talking after his questions and mine were done, ended with a great vibe, was told to expect a call about setting up a second interview in the following week.

waited for the call, none came. called them, was routed to a voicemail, didn't think much of it because the company in question was a small operation, left a message, waited a few more days. still nothing. called again, got routed to their voicemail after a few rings, finally understood they were screening my calls. they never even bothered to send me an email about reneging on the 2nd interview

the naked cowardice and laziness of business owners and HR should never be underestimated

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I interviewed for Pizza Hut as a delivery driver about 10 years ago and she was happy and optimistic. And then I just didn't hear back anymore.

Turns out they didn't like my two speeding tickets and that meant I couldn't get the job but rather than tell me or return a call she ignored me until I went in to pick up a pizza and asked her.

My current job has that with logistics companies right now. I'll be given out of date information and rather than let me know I'm emailing or calling the wrong people they ignore me for days.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My favourite job hunting experience was turning up to a "job interview" for a bottle shop attendant. I turn up (after weeks of not getting any interviews) and it's some recruitment team for some certificate in hospitality or some poo poo. Then they told me because I have a bachelors degree that I wouldn't be eligible for government support for the training and they couldn't offer me anything. The good old two grift combo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pretty Little Angel posted:

What do you say?

I just yell at the hiring manager or HR for wasting my time or deciding I'm not the one based on something loving trivial. Like, poo poo, I think I left my jacket on once during an interview because they did it right next to the entry way and it was a bit cold, but apparently that's bad because I was somehow signalling I didn't really want the job, according to a site I read about how HR dipshits make hiring decision. Like, gently caress, anything I do could be construed as bad and unworthy by these weird assholes, apparently.

I mean hell, one time I went to interview at a sandwich place. The hiring manager told me straight up to my face, "You're too qualified for this job," then asked me if I needed it. I of course say yes, and she says, "Well ok, go do an application on the site and I'll see." I do so, and then I get called saying, "Oh, you should apply for shift lead, I can't really pay you more than 13 bucks as a team member." So I do that, and wait to interview again. But apparently she just wanted to stall so she could fill both the shift lead position and the team member position, as she kept dodging my calls until I got a notification saying that both positions were filled. Terrible loving rear end in a top hat.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

My favourite job hunting experience was turning up to a "job interview" for a bottle shop attendant. I turn up (after weeks of not getting any interviews) and it's some recruitment team for some certificate in hospitality or some poo poo. Then they told me because I have a bachelors degree that I wouldn't be eligible for government support for the training and they couldn't offer me anything. The good old two grift combo.

I once knew someone who's job it was to run grifts like that, essentially calling up people job hunting and make it sound like they're getting a job, but then selling them on training instead.
edit: commission based pay of course

Emmideer has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Feb 23, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jon Joe posted:

I once knew someone who's job it was to run grifts like that, essentially calling up people job hunting and make it sound like they're getting a job, but then selling them on training instead.
edit: commission based pay of course

I also like the people at staffing agencies who put up posts for jobs but then almost always tell you "well the position has been filled already, but please put yourself on our firm's roster so we can get you a job."

I think I'm with 3 or so of those temp agencies now. None of them have offered me anything. Very cool!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
nothing feels quite like working sales on commission, door to door, busting your rear end for hours on end, working out of your own car, making no sales at all one ugly day, and ending that day even poorer than you started after food and gas

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
job hunting is a euphemism for jerking off for me since that’s what I do more of when i should be job hunting

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i call dibs on guillotining whoever invented/mainstreamed those dehumanizing 200q personality assessments for minimum wage poo poo jobs.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh those things are the best

especially the questions that test to what degree you're willing to narc to the boss on your coworkers

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
god i should just fake having experience in poo poo because this is loving aggravating. every stupid loving job here is like "oh we need you to have 2+ years of being an administrative assistant" on their requirements, so I should just loving fake having one for two years, have a friend pretend to be my supervisor from there or some poo poo, so I can get SOME loving interview my god.

also what other weird poo poo do interviewers hate? i've got long hair but also i'm a huge pussy and go to job interviews presenting as male because 1. I don't wanna get discriminated against for being trans and 2. I loving hate myself and have no confidence in how i look, and i feel paranoid that the long hair makes interviewers think i'm untrustworthy or a metal head or some poo poo.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

I say that, not to brag but to try and give some hope to people ITT who've been looking for much longer than me. poo poo loving sucks, but do keep believing you'll find something. staying positive and being excited for a position in an interview (no matter how much you're fakin it) is a big rear end strength.

:glomp: thanks a lot buddy!

Getting ghosted loving sucks. Back when I was fresh out of college with a bullshit liberal arts degree I tried finding work in (God forgive me) think tanks and other bullshit. They never wrote me back, not even to tell me to gently caress off. To hell with the bullshit make-work jobs for failchildren with connections.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never had trouble getting a job for more than a month or so but I get to claim the epic veteran card so scumbag business owners love me for the tax break. I still get fired a lot because I can't keep my mouth shut lol. I had a job as a security guard where I ended up getting fired but I threatened the owner (who gave people lunches, but expected you to stay on the jobsite and be available to work) with coming after him for like 100+ hours of missed wages and he instead just left me on the books at 0 hours lol. Anyway now I got this pizza boy job which is complete trash and rough as gently caress on my car but I like my coworkers and it's easy.

I'm amazed nobody's yelled at me for constantly pointing out that the owner's policy of making all the men shave and nobody having 'unprofessional' hair styles is racist, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My wife is job hunting now and it's stressing her like crazy. I oscillate between trying to mansplain resume advice and totally ignoring the subject. Neither of which seem to be making the process easier.

I actually have submitted my resume to BFC for critique a couple times over the years and got hired. Idk how active that sub is these days but it might be worth a shot.

Having been on the hiring side a few times, I can attest that the person accross the table is probably going to hire you based on how "likable" you even if they are telling themselves that they are looking for a qualified candidate. The lovely thing is that "likable" can often be codeword for white guy.

The most cspam advice I have is: job hunt drunk, interview sober. Ask friends and strangers about their work at parties and at the bar. If you act genuinely interested most folks will open up. I have hired strangers I met at the bar twice because I liked the way they carried themselves and interacted with others, and they had the initiative to ask me how to get into my industry.