Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have you guys tried enlisting for 2 to 4 years. I've been hired first try at every job I've tried to get since leaving the military

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to know more

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
bloody military WELFARE QUEENS taking our good jobs and benefits

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

some guy manages an IT department at some shithole in germany and suddenly he's a vet and deserves 3 or even 4 jobs the bastard

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Peanut President posted:

some guy manages an IT department at some shithole in germany and suddenly he's a vet and deserves 3 or even 4 jobs the bastard

Troop worship is a hell of a drug.

Just to put another tally on the board for nepotism, my recent stint of unemployment was ended by a friend telling me about a job opening where they worked and me discovering that my supervisor would be someone I worked with 10 years ago and so I leveraged the gently caress out of that and went from $11.15/hr pre-unemployment to $18/hr post-unemployment.

Half the time I want to kill myself because said-superior is a control freak, but I can at least afford the fried chicken and cigarettes to do that with now!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

it's even better. i was a phone operator

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Larry Parrish posted:

it's even better. i was a phone operator

every_super_saiyan_scream.avi

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
I have repeatedly experienced the boomer fever dream of walking into a business with a smile and a firm handshake and walking out employed and folks, the one weird trick is: small, popular national park-adjacent but remote towns

everywhere's so desperate to hire people since the local unemployment rate is like -25% that they're as willing to take risks on unknown people as your demented grandparents think every business in your midwest hometown is, and though they still won't offer to pay you decently upfront because of ~the experience of being here~ they pretty much all have some way of making stuff work out reasonably as long as you realise you have bargaining power. I have a house that I live in, alone, for like $200 a month, along with an immigration tickbox allowing me to be in canada instead of the UK at brexit o'clock, because the alternative is that I leave and go to one of the other jobs I could be doing and the business falls apart for six months, and I'm a stupid loser nerd who never did anything useful in my life except get 80% of the way through a university degree and then quit because of sadbrains. if you have actual skills or experience doing anything at all, oh boy

it is not for everyone, you'll have a better time if you're young and of a wandery sort of mindset. the visitors are generally horrible and you'll hate their guts. you will want to have a car and at least a bit of money saved up ahead of time, moving isn't free. it could all come crashing down if 2008 happens again. but, it beats the hell out of answering phones in a depressing brexit call center until the baked bean riots start

also houses in most of these places cost like a million dollars so you can't stay there forever. at least you can go back to wherever you came from with some money in the bank though.

(this is in canada idk how applicable it is to the US. presumably only particular places, might have to go to alaska or montana or something like you have to go to alberta or BC here)

also second the 'moderate lie' advice. I personally did not but wish I had because like 20% of the jobs I've ever had ever checked anything at all and it cost me 5 years of being unemployed and spending every penny I had just to stay alive, which I don't recommend

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yep. i walked into a resort and got my current job (overnight in a hotel, $14/hr) just by finding HR's office.

night shift is killing me though. i just signed my intent to vacate my apartment and am moving closer into my city. if i don't quit i'll have a 90-minute commute, so at least i'm forcing myself to move on

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

I have repeatedly experienced the boomer fever dream of walking into a business with a smile and a firm handshake and walking out employed and folks, the one weird trick is: small, popular national park-adjacent but remote towns

everywhere's so desperate to hire people since the local unemployment rate is like -25% that they're as willing to take risks on unknown people as your demented grandparents think every business in your midwest hometown is, and though they still won't offer to pay you decently upfront because of ~the experience of being here~ they pretty much all have some way of making stuff work out reasonably as long as you realise you have bargaining power. I have a house that I live in, alone, for like $200 a month, along with an immigration tickbox allowing me to be in canada instead of the UK at brexit o'clock, because the alternative is that I leave and go to one of the other jobs I could be doing and the business falls apart for six months, and I'm a stupid loser nerd who never did anything useful in my life except get 80% of the way through a university degree and then quit because of sadbrains. if you have actual skills or experience doing anything at all, oh boy

it is not for everyone, you'll have a better time if you're young and of a wandery sort of mindset. the visitors are generally horrible and you'll hate their guts. you will want to have a car and at least a bit of money saved up ahead of time, moving isn't free. it could all come crashing down if 2008 happens again. but, it beats the hell out of answering phones in a depressing brexit call center until the baked bean riots start

also houses in most of these places cost like a million dollars so you can't stay there forever. at least you can go back to wherever you came from with some money in the bank though.

(this is in canada idk how applicable it is to the US. presumably only particular places, might have to go to alaska or montana or something like you have to go to alberta or BC here)

also second the 'moderate lie' advice. I personally did not but wish I had because like 20% of the jobs I've ever had ever checked anything at all and it cost me 5 years of being unemployed and spending every penny I had just to stay alive, which I don't recommend

this is 90% of my advice too. although if you're going to try this you have to be in what most city slickers would call a small town, but for someone like me who's from a very small town, then its really a small city. like, a county seat thats got 10k people in it has this somewhat unique problem of crippling unemployment but plenty of (unfilled) minimum wage jobs around. a town as small as where i'm from has the crippling unemployment but its too small for large corporations to bother setting up franchises and such so theres no jobs either

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I'd really like to just be able to put 'i've worked 5+ years at a job I don't particularly like handling literal poo poo while studying to get into this field that pays at least $10hr more, I know I didn't magically graduate with 2years of experience but hire me literally anywhere and I will probably work at least that long and be thankful' on my resume but somehow i don't think that would work.

Give it time though I might try it this loving sucks and I hate it but hey, at least I'm not unemployed as well.

Went to interview, referees contacted, had to provide like extra info and I was cautiously optimistic because hey, if they're going to the effort it means I'm in with a chance, right? Hear back a few weeks later that nope, 'we wanted more detail in the interview'. the interview was a month ago why did you even bother contacting my referees then

Gitro has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Mar 15, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally got a response from my job interview two weeks ago. It was of course that they didn't think I was the right fit for the job.

Not sure why they thought ignoring me was going to work since I work with them 5 days a week. Did they really think I was just going to let the elephant go unmentioned?

Fuckers.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I work 'skilled trades' and I was being paid ten bucks an hour, illegally on a 1099 and being forced to work unpaid overtime with zero job security and constant sexual harassment and abuse. I threw away 90% of my poo poo and packed the rest into a car and went somewhere with strong unions and now i make triple that plus overtime on w-2s. I'm a freelancer but I have more job security than most people I know because I'm booked out two or three months in advance.

And I'm not even in the union. Those guys are pulling down like 60/hr to nap most days it's some real #goals poo poo.

Go somewhere where there are unions.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I'm going to be unemployed in July.

I've been teaching English in Asia for about two years now. A common refuge for college grads who either wanna "find themselves" on Daddy's dime, or don't do well with girls back home and come out here to gently caress some Asian strange, or want to fool themselves into being "real" educators while singing "Old McDonald" at 9am on a Sunday at a Happy Giraffe franchise.

Still, I'm going back to school to get a credential and try my hand at international schools. In the meantime, I look forward to filling out online applications three times over due to bullshit algorithms, getting my resume trashed for daring to be born a non-white, fist fighting with 5 other people for the same few McJobs in town, or my Dad spouting Boomer advice with a Mexican immigrant twist ("Look, thousands of immigrants come every day and they all have jobs. gently caress the recession, you're just making excuses.").

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how about book of homos and its full of c spam posters