Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Lying. A lot of people recommend some form of deception in trying to find a job. Personally, I suck dogshit at lying, and am also generally afraid of being found out. I would also hope I wouldn't need to lie given that I have a Master's degree, but apparently I'm competing against people who have no qualms against making up seven years experience? I'm joking, I don't actually know the rate or level at which people are lying, but I still can't shake the idea that this puts me at some sort of massive disadvantage. Then again, even if I was told "You MUST do this", I'm not sure I could, not for moral reasons but again because I just suck poo poo at it.

It's more like slightly fudging dates and adding a couple of skills to your resume that you don't technically have but think you could handle easily enough, not just making up seven years of relevant experience wholecloth

Like if you have a gap in your employment history, just shuffle some dates around to cover it up because no one checks anyway and that way you don't have to answer stupid loving questions like "well I see you were unemployed here for a while, what happened there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bloom posted:

My favourite way of getting rejected is getting ghosted. The job of HR departments is to deal with (potential) employees so is a copypasted "sorry but we picked someone else" email too much to ask for? I don't even care about the details, just let me know so I don't have to keep guessing.

It's all so hosed up, it's bad enough we have to compete with each other they have to make every single part of the process as awful as possible and if you complain about it even a little then you don't win.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Socks4Hands posted:

wow this is almost a harder read than the climate thread

ironically any success in this thread just leads to greater carbon expenditures as people commute to their new job (which is probably far as gently caress away)

:v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

the NYC subway is annoying, but i'd take it on its worst day over commuting by car any day, so i'm glad i use it

I felt the same way about the LA metro. It took me 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Pasadena to LAX during rush hour and the time was the same if I drove or if I used buses/light rail and it was awesome as gently caress to be able to read books while commuting

I read the entire Song of Ice and Fire series while commuting!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MizPiz posted:

What's worse is that I just know that even if I manage to find a job, it's going to fill me with nothing but indignation. Just pure contempt that I had to go through nearly a years worth of grovelling and rejection just to do some minimum wage bullshit that somehow makes me feel worse than being unemployed.

and then you get fired a month into it because you were sick for two days

:toot:

guidoanselmi posted:

hi pasadena goonfriend

sadly I don't live there anymore, it was a really pretty area (because of all the old money and antique shops)