Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Whoever came up with video interviews needs to be loving murdered. It's the same bullshit questions from the application form so what's the point of making me repeat my lies on camera before I can come in and repeat them in person?

Also just writing "Motivation" isn't even a question. If it's acceptable to put that little effort into your questions I should be allowed to answer with "Money" but yeah sure I'm really excited by challenging tasks and opportunities for advancement or whatever the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
My favourite way of getting rejected is getting ghosted. The job of HR departments is to deal with (potential) employees so is a copypasted "sorry but we picked someone else" email too much to ask for? I don't even care about the details, just let me know so I don't have to keep guessing.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Having been on the hiring side a few times, I can attest that the person accross the table is probably going to hire you based on how "likable" you even if they are telling themselves that they are looking for a qualified candidate. The lovely thing is that "likable" can often be codeword for white guy.

Even ignoring the racism angle, "likable" is a highly variable standard and you never have any idea what it's gonna be with each interviewer. One might like you to talk straight while another wants you to hit every cliche jobhunting codeword. When applying for low level customer service jobs when younger, I'd occasionally go for a confident "it's a simple job after all, I can handle it np" approach. Sometimes that would instantly get me the job, sometimes the temperature in the room would drop 20 degrees and the interviewer would get a look on their face like I just shoved a barrel of lemons up their rear end.

Interviews (and the job hunting process in general) are built on constantly changing rules and there's simply no way to know which set of rules you're playing by at any given time.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Spending hours(or more than 5 minutes really) on a single application is a massive waste of time. Yeah they say you're supposed to tailor your poo poo, but it'll just get run through algorithms and even if you get through those you're at the mercy of some HR gently caress's current mood. Spray and pray is the only reasonable approach unless you're applying for a highly specialized field.