Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
First time posting in central spam, long time lurker. This thread speaks to me on a deep personal level.

I loving hate applying online for poo poo. Yeah I know indeed or whoever mostly populates the forms, but I still have to change around all the lies to fit the particular job posting. I spent at least a couple of hours on a specifically tailored resume and cover letter last week and I probably won't hear back. The dream of having a savings account or health insurance eludes me once more.

E: but basically what other people have said. It blows that most HRs won't even copy and paste you a rejection letter. Like drat, I'm stranded on a deserted island of student debt and terrible work sending out my resume in bottles.

Poor Outlook has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

bloom posted:

Spending hours(or more than 5 minutes really) on a single application is a massive waste of time. Yeah they say you're supposed to tailor your poo poo, but it'll just get run through algorithms and even if you get through those you're at the mercy of some HR gently caress's current mood. Spray and pray is the only reasonable approach unless you're applying for a highly specialized field.

You're probably right, but this particular posting actually wanted skills my thus useless degree taught me and is tangentially related to what I'm doing now. I haven't ran into that too often and felt the need to break from my template and emphasize stuff. I won't not get that job because my grammar is bad