Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Don't think I've entered one of these in a few years. After spending the last 4 months or so going through every cooking notebook I've kept and cleaning house getting consistent photos and formatting while rooting out the bads, it is time to go out and try new things for the first time in a while. Made two things I know, two things new, and different beans in all 4. Links to recipes on the two that exist, if anyone is bored feel free to poke around (the web UI is not great, I can just share the source notebook with your Evernote account if you actually want to browse).

tl;dr:

Lentil Stew:
I've been trying to keep more vegetarian options in my cooking as I host far more dietary restrictions nowadays than just my aggressively vegetarian brother, and this is something that is cheap, easy, and filling. If winter were a season any more I would probably make this more frequently. Based on the Budget Bytes vegan lentil stew but tweaked some of the ratios for personal preferences.

Our cast of characters:

Get a simple roux going:

Add the thyme, potatoes, broth, and lentils:

Bring to a strong simmer and leave it there:

I keep going backwards and forwards on the peas, but included them on this iteration:

Give yourself a generous pour and top with scallions:

Shot for the notebook:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/view/n...31-c66f26adbe32

Cassoulet:
One of my FIL's favorite meals that he never makes because of the efforts involved. This is my first try and I took guidance from a Serious Eats recipe as well as something I found from Claire Saffitz (<3). Only real deviations from "traditional" is that I'm using chicken instead of duck as the primary protein (though with plenty of duck fat retained, I knew I kept all of that for something besides fries).

Bring on the meats (beans were soaked overnight already):

Pork, the first:

While that is crisping up, getting our birds seasoned:

Lay those suckers down in that pool of fat over high heat and forget they exist (did two at a time to avoid crowding):

While I get everything else prepped (pressed the cloves into the celery to make it easier to find later):

That'll do, chicken. That'll do:

Pork, the second:

Discard most of the fat and deglaze a bit with onions before adding everything else and simmering for a bit:

Before removing the veggies and herbs and adding back The Meat:

And putting the whole thing in a nice warm 300F oven:

At this point there is a couple hour wait until a crust forms on the top. During this time you do important things like dishes, writing posts on SA, and checking to make sure the beans don't get uncovered. Also, make sure to give your sous chef enough attention:

After hanging in the kitchen with all the searing meat and getting nothing, he has retreated to the office and is protesting his poor treatment/ruff life.

Things starting to look good, time to start breaking the crust with a spoon and keeping tabs on this every 30-45 minutes for the next couple of hours (very scientific tracking):

Patience is a virtue:

Pulled out of the oven to check, we are getting there:

Okay we are done now and ready to eat:

And scene (this took all day and my wife got impatient and ate the greens beforehand, meant to plate the beans over the sausage and then the broccoli rabe on the remaining third, but :shrug:):

(I'll write up the recipe at some point pending me deciding it doesn't need another attempt before documenting)

Chickpea "Cookie Dough":
Was pretty stumped as to what to make with beans for dessert. I used to have a nasty cookie dough habit, like, keep-a-gallon-bucket-from-Costco-in-the-fridge-with-a-spoon-in-it bad. These days I am mostly sugar free so cookie dough is a rare treat that generally leaves me filled with regret. Saw a vegan recipe for a cookie dough dessert and thought I'd give it a try. Honestly didn't love it, my wife proceeded to eat most of it, but tried.

Our final victims:

Rinse them beans:

Add to the food processor while skinning them. Skinning chickpeas takes loving forever:

Add everyone else in there to join:

Pulse until smooth, can add a little of the hummus water that I can't spell the right word for if its too thick:

Add your chocolate chip (or nibs):

And eat out of a small glass instead of out of the tub like an animal:

Or just keep it in the tub:

(despite taking the photo, I ended up not liking this enough to keep it in my evernote, it is still in the WIP notebook and might get tweaked and attempted again if I have an occasion to need to make a vegan dessert)

Espresso Martini:
All that cooking works up an appetite, treat yo'self. I didn't actually take pictures of the process because its a martini and doesn't really warrant it, also I may have made more than one. But here is what I used:
* 2 oz vodka
* ½ oz simple syrup
* ½ oz Kahlua
* 1 oz espresso
Added to a shaker with ice, stirred, and strained into a coup glass garnished a few coffee beans. I think my linkedin picture is of me drinking one of these like 8 years ago and is somehow the most professional photo that exists of me.

Shots shots shots everybody:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/view/n...94-37c1fd569523

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm convincing my wife to open up our marriage to include a third– that Dutch oven of cassoulet :swoon:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm convincing my wife to open up our marriage to include a third– that Dutch oven of cassoulet :swoon:

I had the leftovers and they were even better a few days later, though my FIL has informed me that taking 8 hours still was cutting too many corners and that using the chicken was morally wrong. I'm definitely going to be making again, but may document it was "Cassoulet" in quotes so as not to incur wrath from purists.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cassoulish

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Unffff..... That "cassoulet" looks phenomenal. Awesome entry.

Any tasting notes on the cookie dough that lead you to what might make it better?

Also, gently caress skinning chickpeas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Unffff..... That "cassoulet" looks phenomenal. Awesome entry.

Any tasting notes on the cookie dough that lead you to what might make it better?

Also, gently caress skinning chickpeas.

The texture was right, but the peanut butter was way way too forward. So I guess if you like eating peanut butter cookie dough it would have been a success? I would maybe have reduced the peanut butter content, increased the maple syrup content, added a little salt, and punched up the vanilla extract in order to better hit chocolate chip cookie dough.