Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Big bomb big life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/ricknmorty11/status/1100522367665631232

ricknmorty

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
also there won't be an actual war, this is one of those "leader A and leader B both need to look tough" so some dudes on the front line are gonna die to satisfy public blood-lust situations

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, this actually got me into church on a Tuesday. Really freaking out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The latter I think. My knowledge of Indian politics is fuzzy at best but the current right wing party is getting butchered in elections so this might be an attempt at getting some sympathy for The Troops.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/AsadBut04141420/status/1100517355581591552?s=19

Fuckin tik tok lol, all these dudes with their phones out, hell dimension is hilarious

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Typo posted:

also there won't be an actual war, this is one of those "leader A and leader B both need to look tough" so some dudes on the front line are gonna die to satisfy public blood-lust situations

That can be pretty difficult to back down from, though. Especially if whoever above is correct and the Indian forces are sufficiently superior that Pakistan is humiliated. An engagement that bloodies both sides can probably be walked back but a rout of the Pakistani forces could lead to Problems.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'm punjabi rick

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kazak posted:

https://twitter.com/AsadBut04141420/status/1100517355581591552?s=19

Fuckin tik tok lol, all these dudes with their phones out, hell dimension is hilarious

That's a military exercise from like 2016

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it escapes a lot of people in the west that the partition was a completely unnecessary shitshow that killed millions of people entirely because the UK wanted to cripple an independent india

yeah, this is mostly a myth. the British desperately, but ineffectually, tried to keep India together but the politically powerful and secularly led Muslims demanded an independent state. things just sort of spiraled out of control from there... if you want to blame the Brits, blame then for propping up a bizarre system of local princedoms and a century of ham handed social policy, but it wasn’t an actual conspiracy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Hassan30775007/status/1100525006143000577

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Wow, this actually got me into church on a Tuesday. Really freaking out.

:chloe:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

General Dog posted:

Not to get too far ahead of things, since I'm sure this will get diffused somehow, but if major poo poo were to go down between India and Pakistan, who else is likely to get involved and why?

China, a nuclear conflict in the Hindu-Kush range would gently caress their watershed too.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

wrap it up, carparkailures

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lamebot posted:

China, a nuclear conflict in the Hindu-Kush range would gently caress their watershed too.

What would they do

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

General Dog posted:

What would they do

diplomacy

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

That's a military exercise from like 2016

I won't hear any aspersions cast against Asad Butt

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

General Dog posted:

What would they do

get pakistan to calm the gently caress down and not nuke anything

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

General Dog posted:

What would they do

remind india and pakistan that they could take them both out if they absolutely had to, just through sheer attrition.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

this guy is definitely russian

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

General Dog posted:

What would they do

Strike military targets and occupy water sources in neighboring countries in the name of protecting them

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Often Abbreviated posted:

That can be pretty difficult to back down from, though. Especially if whoever above is correct and the Indian forces are sufficiently superior that Pakistan is humiliated. An engagement that bloodies both sides can probably be walked back but a rout of the Pakistani forces could lead to Problems.

any small scale engagement can be casted as a victory regardless of actual outcome

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That said I'm pretty sure this is just some dudes on the border shooting at each other, I doubt it'll turn onto anything more than a minor border skirmish and it'll die down by the start of next week

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

making offerings to khorne as we speak

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Agean90 posted:

That said I'm pretty sure this is just some dudes on the border shooting at each other, I doubt it'll turn onto anything more than a minor border skirmish and it'll die down by the start of next week

"nuclear war is not imminent" says increasingly nervous man

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeet them nukes at each other bros!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

"nuclear war is not imminent" says increasingly disappointed man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Finally the ages long enmity between bob and vagene will be settled

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/DEFCONWSALERTS/status/1100515678677860352

tag yourself

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
you guys are acting like this is the first time two nuclear powers had soldiers shooting at each other geez

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I am # 28, exemplary attacks against property

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
who knew electing right wing nationalists to nuclear powers would end badly

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i enjoy the intellectual asscovering with #43

"maybe there's other types of controlled general war, gently caress man i don't know everything"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I'm #15: barely nuclear war

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it escapes a lot of people in the west that the partition was a completely unnecessary shitshow that killed millions of people entirely because the UK wanted to cripple an independent india

that implies a whole lot more strategic forethought than the british were capable of wrt india in 1948, or almost any other time post-Mutiny

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hard to imagine the BJP letting this go. ages ago i subscribed to a bizarre right wing indian subreddit for high caste hindu nationals and they're absolutely champing at the bit for anti muslim pogroms on a international scale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if they go nuclear and launch all their nukes at each other what sort of damage are we looking at?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

e v a c u a t i o n s e sh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jose posted:

if they go nuclear and launch all their nukes at each other what sort of damage are we looking at?

a lot will be come one word to express the level of human misery such an eventuality would cause. alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jose posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/india-pakistan-military-strength-arsenal-190226064227556.html

quote:

India has nine types of operational missiles, including the Agni-3 with a range of 3,000km to 5,000km, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington.

Pakistan's missile programme, built with Chinese assistance, includes mobile short- and medium-range weapons that can reach any part of India, CSIS said. The Shaheen 2 has the longest range, up to 2,000km.

quote:

Pakistan has 140 to 150 nuclear warheads, compared with India's 130-140 warheads, according to SIPRI.

A quick glance at Wikipedia suggests that these warheads are anywhere from 15 kt to 250 kt. I plugged 60 kt into NUKEMAP https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

a 60 kt warhead would annihilate the entire downtown of either Islamabad or New Delhi. Multiply that by 100