Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CMANO scenario when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

where's our well heeled titled but eccentric genius British lord to get the administration out of this bind??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bird with big dick posted:

I spent all night tweeting at these guys to settle down or the US was going to nuke both of them and I think I got through to them.

thank u 4 ur service

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

India still flies MIG-21's? Those things are ancient.

They still had about ~250 of them as of 2013, though they're supposed to be rather unsafe to fly these days because of their age.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yeah rip

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Please stop posting the Strategic Sentinel. They're literally just taking someone else's news and changing a word.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in 1987, the Soviets built the Baku, a Kiev-class aircraft carrier. After the USSR fell, it was renamed the Admiral Gorshkov, and served under the Russian state until 1996, when it was decommissioned.

The Indians bought it from the Russians in 2004, and rechristened it the Vikramaditya. That's how old that ship is

that just makes it slightly younger than the HMS Ark Royal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TOAW 4 has a Kashmir scenario set in May 1999

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

One of those GOOD MORNING Indian meme things but with a mushroom cloud.

oh the bright side, nuclear war is probably going to reduce a lot of the load on WhatsApp's servers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
SLBMdog millionaire

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
we must support Pakistan lest Russia gain a port on the Indian Ocean

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

It rules how quickly actual events are converging on Starship Troopers

I'm from Balakot, and I #SayYesToWar!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

#SayYesToPeoplesWar #JaiNaxal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Sir Jadeja fans are 100% Hindu chuds.

#JaiTrump

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sikhs for Trump!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/indusdotnews/status/1125270646563516417

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdBUQvm7itE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Impressed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s triumph in the recent parliamentary election, a Muslim woman named her newborn son after him, sparking a variety of reactions among political groups and people online.

A woman from Uttar Pradesh, a northern Indian state with a large Muslim population, filed papers to have her newborn son registered as Narendra Damodardas Modi on Friday, local media reported. The child was born on May 23, the same day the final votes were counted and the mother, Mainaz Begum, heard the news of Modi’s crushing victory over the opposition.

“I want my son to do good work like Modi and become as successful as him,” the woman told ANI.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

It's the same with Filipinos in the US and Duterte.

gently caress yeah pinoy pride

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

India could have used their economic potential to be an economic superpower. why are they so content to be the crown jewel of neoliberal globalization instead?

because it would require the toppling of social and economic hierarchies, something that even Gandhi stringently opposed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

If India and Pakistan did decide to lob nukes at each other would the rest of the world just wait until it was over?

There's a non-trivial chance that everyone nukes everyone else because they can't take the chance that all of the nukes ever launched are only targeted at India and Pakistan

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.icrc.org/en/doc/assets/files/2013/4132-2-nuclear-weapons-global-food-production-2013.pdf

quote:

A “limited” nuclear war involving only 100 Hiroshima-sized bombs (i.e. of 13 kilotons each), which is less than 0.5 percent of the world’s nuclear weapons, could disrupt the global climate. More than 5 million tonnes of soot from fires in urban and industrial areas targeted by these weapons could be lofted into the upper atmosphere and cause global temperatures to fall by an average of 1.3 C for several years, shortening the growing season in many areas. The drop in temperatures would be much more severe inland, especially in the interior of North America and Eurasia. The cooler temperatures would result in a major decline in precipitation, as less water evaporates from the oceans to fall back as rain and snow. In addition, there would be a large reduction in ozone levels in the upper atmosphere, allowing increased levels of harmful ultraviolet (UV) light to reach the earth’s surface. The cooler weather, shorter growing seasons and decline in precipitation would have severe effects on agriculture. For example, it is estimated that soybean and corn production in the Midwestern United States and rice production in China would be 20 percent lower in the years immediately following the event, and 10 percent lower even after a decade

More than one billion people around the world might face starvation as a result of a limited, regional nuclear war. The world is ill-prepared to deal with a decline in food production. World food reserves cover only 60 to 70 days of consumption. In addition, there are currently some 870 million malnourished people in the world, who do not receive the minimum of 1,800 calories per day that are required to maintain body mass and perform the physical labour necessary to gather or grow food. A reduction in food intake of as little as 10 percent for a full decade would put this entire group at risk. The estimated 10 to 20 percent drop in corn and maize production could easily translate into a much larger decline in access to food because hoarding and panic are likely to drive up market prices, thereby making food unaffordable for many people. Furthermore, more than 300 million people in the world are well-nourished today but live in countries that are highly dependent on food imports. They too would be at risk if food-exporting countries halted exports to feed their own people.

for reference, the Indian nuclear stockpile is estimated at 200 warheads, and the Pakistani nuclear stockpile is estimated at 150 warheads. The last warhead tested by India was a 31~45 kiloton device, while the last warhead tested by Pakistan was a 20 kiloton device, both back in 1998.

so if the balloon went up, and both countries only used half their stockpiles (or the estimates of actually-usable-weapons was off by that much), and nobody else escalated the nuclear exchange, the amount of destruction and suffering would already be pretty much unimaginable

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spergin Morlock posted:

I like the part where the vx is released and the people nearby immediately blister and melt.

the "string of pearls" thing is also straight fiction that they made up for the movie

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1160460575454957568

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

The UNSC is going to meet about Kashmir, and China is heavily on Pakistan's side. I'm honestly not sure anyone is going to side with India; I think even Trump remembers the tariffs India slapped against the US like, two months ago.

the US was the first to raise tariffs on India, when India was dropped from a list of preferred countries last June 5th

India was the one that retaliated with their own set of tariffs later that month

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1134903/donald-trump-news-india-trade
https://www.businessinsider.com/india-tariffs-us-products-apples-almonds-2019-6

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MLM_Mayhem/status/1162762094611185664

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I can't find it now, but I saw on the twitters a couple of days ago that an Indian government website describing its compliance to no-first-use had been altered to... not say that anymore, if you compared it against the Wayback Machine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Failson posted:

Nothing to see here, just Pakistan's railway minister threatening India with tactical nukes.

https://www.indiatvnews.com/amp/news/world-pakistan-minister-claims-n-bomb-546733

Railway Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmad go on cumtown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/zlj517/status/1190128565506826241