Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So I skimmed this thread and I wanna ask:

Is the world really going to go into nuclear winter because some slapdick politician realized that he can get a bump in his approval ratings by ramping up a border fight with his neighbor, who also has nuclear bombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the idea that people would choose to destroy themselves if we let them have nukes is pretty common.

Aziz of Arabia posted:

yes, the US should surrender its nuclear arsenal

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Just popping in to make my prediction that when this is all over, it will in fact be India that sees the most corona deaths:

1) Massive population, much of it in places that are more densely populated than China
2) Affordable but massively inadequate healthcare system
3) Dreadful sanitation as a general rule
4) Corrupt and incompetent political leadership at almost every level of government with the exception of a handful of states
5) Large sectors of the population that for various (sometimes extremely valid) reasons are accustomed to not loving doing what the govt tells them.
6) Likely compounding catastrophes of sectarian strife, climate disasters, etc

Counterpoints:

1) Strong mutual aid tradition in certain sectors
2) Large and generally competent army that actually has a fair amount of hands-on experience with emergency relief and such

This is like, the one time I want to set a reminder for 3 months from now and see what happens.