Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

we got pretty far into this thing last time around:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860124

. . . but we still have a ways to go. shamefully, our font could not even spell the name of this subforum until I put together the letter "O" up there (my official entry to kick this new round off). likewise we do not have the digits to spell any funny numbers. this shall not stand!

so, you are cordially invited to submit your artwork for any characters missing from the font. like last time, please submit your character in the form of a bitmap, 400x400 works as a resolution but it's really up to you, just try not to make it too low-res unless that's what you're going for.

unlike last time, there will be no assignment process (unless you really want one assigned to you because you can't pick). I suggest you post itt which character you plan to work on so others don't duplicate your efforts. however these placeholders won't last forever, if you don't do anything with the character you pick within a reasonable time it's up for grabs.

capital and lower case letters are distinct in this font, so please specify which one you're doing. however unless you have a good reason, I suggest picking a letter to work on that doesn't have either a capital or lower case glyph yet, that way we can at least spell more things even if we're mixing cases ransom-note style.

if your glyph is wildly nsfw or otherwise really problematic I reserve the right to exclude it from the canonical font, but nobody can stop you from using these characters in your own work and possibly getting fired because of it.

I'll post the "hero's gallery" of newly designed glyphs below.

font characters designed to date are listed in the op of the prior thread, for quick reference the following characters have been designed:

pre:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
f q s v
@ # ? !
New Hero's Gallery:

0 (zero) - Android Blues -

3 - Goons Are Great -

6 - vanisher -

7 - Goons Are Great -

8 - manifisto -

9 - manifisto -

C - FutonForensic -

F - alnilam -

G - pixaal -

M - TVsVeryOwn -

O - Manifisto -

Q - Goons are Great -

V - Goons are Great-

W - TVsVeryOwn -

X - Bacalou (via Manifisto) -

! - Android Blues -

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

i finally finished that exclamation mark i pledged a thousand long years ago but i CANnot figure out how to export a transparent bmp

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

i finally finished that exclamation mark i pledged a thousand long years ago but i CANnot figure out how to export a transparent bmp

ooo awesome!

what app are you using? maybe I can help, and/or can transparentize as long as the bg is a different color from everything esle

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

I think I was on a posting break last thread, I'll work on some things!

Manifisto

Manifisto posted:

ooo awesome!

what app are you using? maybe I can help, and/or can transparentize as long as the bg is a different color from everything esle

oh wait a second, I don't know if that was a joke, what you want is a PNG, I don't think a BMP can have transparency

vanisher posted:

I think I was on a posting break last thread, I'll work on some things!

:peanut:

ty nesamdoom!

Android Blues

Manifisto posted:

ooo awesome!

i'm using krita/fiddling with gimp which has better export options, and actually i think i figured it out but now imgur is converting my uploads to .png!!

Android Blues

Manifisto posted:

oh wait a second, I don't know if that was a joke, what you want is a PNG, I don't think a BMP can have transparency
oh no, a .bmp can have transparency, it's just stupid and tricky (it needs to be in a certain colourspace) vs. easy with a .png

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Updated with this one!

This one! whoops the shadow was hitting the right of the image not that anyone would have known or cared but I updated it! I also changed the "bad" ones to timg because I have a feeling this thread is going to have enough scrolling as is

It didn't feel complete the step before and tried a Nova first, I like the shadow (top one) better. Still going to share the nova.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 26, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

Android Blues

alright, i promise this was a .bmp originally but imgur is incredibly vexatious

also exported as .png because the lack of transparency is grinding my gears, also with a contrasting background for ease of conversion

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2019

pixaal

everything else is .png why are you so concerned with a .bmp?

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

This one!

It didn't feel complete the step before and tried a Nova first, I like the shadow (top one) better. Still going to share the nova.

Android Blues posted:

alright, i promise this was a .bmp originally but imgur is incredibly vexatious

:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop:

off to a very strong start! these are really lovely.

edit: never mind, android took care of it

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

pixaal posted:

everything else is .png why are you so concerned with a .bmp?

i think Android Blues is getting hung up on the fact the bitmap is both an extension and a method of image compression
both PNG and BMP are bitmap file formats since they define each pixel specifically, as opposed to JPEG which uses algorithms or some poo poo

Imma work on a uppercase M

Android Blues

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i think Android Blues is getting hung up on the fact the bitmap is both an extension and a method of image compression
both PNG and BMP are bitmap file formats since they define each pixel specifically, as opposed to JPEG which uses algorithms or some poo poo

Imma work on a uppercase M

this was exactly my problem thank you TVsVeryOwn

pixaal

I was cutting off all of 2-3 rows of pixels from the shadow and it didn't look right, so I have submitted a slightly updated version if it's not too much trouble. (I backed it slightly to the left it's still 400x400)

sig by owlhawk911

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto

ooo. bold. masterful. I like.

pixaal posted:

I was cutting off all of 2-3 rows of pixels from the shadow and it didn't look right, so I have submitted a slightly updated version if it's not too much trouble. (I backed it slightly to the left it's still 400x400)

of course! will update the op when not phoneposting.

Goons Are Gifts

This is going to be so exciting, I'll try to make you proud!!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Android Blues

hit me with another letter, let's get this thing word processor-ready!!

Manifisto

this is glorious

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

hit me with another letter, let's get this thing word processor-ready!!

you got it! you can tackle capital "C", or if you prefer you could do 0 (zero) and make us truly 420-friendly

ty nesamdoom!

Android Blues

here's a cheeky 0

Papa Was A Video Toaster

:350: nice

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

here's a cheeky 0

hmmm . . . lessee . . .

:hai: checks out

(I love it, ty! :love:)

fake edit: gently caress, beaten (honestly I was putting this together as TVsVeryOwn posted, it's a separate image)

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Manifisto

it occurs to me that we need an "X" and we have not yet represented the bone buds in the font

maybe we could do something like this:

. . . but ideally with a bacalou-style skull, a la the bone buds tag:

also it could be colored like some of bacalou's art, e.g. his avatar:

I could take a stab at it, but I think we need bacalou . . . paging bacalou . . . anybody seen him recently?

or somebody else could do it . . .

ty nesamdoom!

FutonForensic

C

lol but

body is a dinosaur

colour coordination on that collar is on. point.

Manifisto

rowr!!!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

okay let me emphasize that this is not a bacalou RIP-OFF it is a bacalou TRIBUTE no copyright intended do not sue

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 1, 2019

Android Blues

Manifisto posted:

okay let me emphasize that this is not a bacalou RIP-OFF it is a bacalou TRIBUTE no copyright intended do not sue

this is... cellent

vanisher

Maybe its too simple or the colors make it hard to see the 6 i'd be happy to edit it or redo

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Maybe its too simple or the colors make it hard to see the 6 i'd be happy to edit it or redo

no I think it's awesome

we are really close to having a minimal complete set of characters folks!

pixaal

that 6 is great, I took a stab at making a 6 and 9 pair and it was gross

do not make a 6 with a human skin texture with lips inside the circle. It um... it's pretty gross and wasn't funny.

someone do a heavenly 9 in a similar style, I think 6 and 9 just have to be a set and devil angel is way better than my idea the other day that was more disturbing than goatse.

sig by owlhawk911

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

that 6 is great, I took a stab at making a 6 and 9 pair and it was gross

do not make a 6 with a human skin texture with lips inside the circle. It um... it's pretty gross and wasn't funny.

someone do a heavenly 9 in a similar style, I think 6 and 9 just have to be a set and devil angel is way better than my idea the other day that was more disturbing than goatse.

by the way I think this is a great idea

I nominate . . . [points in the direction of the person reading this post] YOU!!!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

perfection

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

we are three characters away people, now is the time to step up!!

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Wait, which one are we lacking by now? I was too post to design one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Wait, which one are we lacking by now? I was too post to design one yet.

we need 3, 7, and 8.

we could use capital letters F, Q, and V. we have lower-case letters of those characters but it would be nice to be able to avoid mixing lower and upper case.