Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

Hmm, that's very doable, getting right on it after work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

And here we go!

edit: no idea why this was mirrored, now it's fixed!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 7, 2019

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

And here we go!

edit: no idea why this was mirrored, now it's fixed!

oooooh nice

we have a heaven/hell thing going on with 69, do we need a sheep/goat pair as well?

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

oooooh nice

we have a heaven/hell thing going on with 69, do we need a sheep/goat pair as well?

For various biological reasons, the answer to this is yes!

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

For various biological reasons, the answer to this is yes!

lol

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Honestly I think I'll work on something better later on, as this one feels a bit brutalized. Although we do need sheeps here!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sheep should be Zzz

sig by owlhawk911

Goons Are Gifts

I sincerely apologize for the low effort 7 there, I thought about it again and made a new one that hopefully better suits the honorable profession of being a sheep!

A nice little sheep family.

Manifisto

:woop:

Manifisto

finally . . . jenny . . . byob can call you like we've always promised . . .

Goons Are Gifts

Lovely! Is byob the font officially complete now?

pixaal

Goons Are Great posted:

Lovely! Is byob the font officially complete now?

lots of lowercase is missing

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

like many byob projects "finished" is a state of mind

the important thing is to declare success

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Sounds like just another byob success story on this marvelous Friday!!

pixaal

Goons Are Great posted:

Sounds like just another byob success story on this marvelous Friday!!

It's Thursday, I'm so sorry

sig by owlhawk911

Goons Are Gifts

pixaal posted:

It's Thursday, I'm so sorry

What? Oh no!! But this means byob is going to be deleted! Luckily we have the font ready to remake it all after the deletion

Farecoal

There he go
hey manifisto should i goldmine this or resticky?

Manifisto

Farecoal posted:

hey manifisto should i goldmine this or resticky?

thanks for asking!

I have been trying to figure out whether there is a way to make this a font that you can type with, I am not having a lot of luck tho

but I'd appreciate a little more time to see what I can do, and if anyone wants to add other characters that is super welcome

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

Font is only a single color so that will be a problem. An image generator based on text input could work for short things.

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

Font is only a single color so that will be a problem. An image generator based on text input could work for short things.

well there is this info

https://www.colorfonts.wtf/

which includes a link to a tool for making the color fonts, however the tool costs $50 on top of Illustrator which I don't have

but maybe some other (free) tool works/will eventually work, I've been playing with FontForge but have had no luck

blender has the ability to automatically swap in a collection of images for characters in a font, that kind of thing is useful but blender's text processing is pretty primitive and it would be very clunky as a general solution

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

I had no idea font even supported that. Or I guess the way font is stored? You can pick the color of a font and I think I just assumed it had to be that way.

Anyway it should be possible to make images with it by making sure each letter is the exact same size (add padding if required). You make a simple website hosting an input box do ??? on the backend to line up the images and make a single large image. There has to be some way in code to glue images together that is open source. Pick a line length and stick with it. So say you want it to be 20 characters per line you just code it so it goes to the next line if there isn't enough room on the current line for the next word word is defined as separated by a space.

I'm not sure how to code this but it should be fairly easy I see a ton of website with maybe 3-4 banner ads only that do similar functions so something out there can do it. Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Maybe Irfanview might be able to do it if you are looking to do it offline. It supports command line, batch processing, and has a panorama image creation option that can probably be forced to do something like this. They may even have better tools / plugins.

sig by owlhawk911

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
so there was a local kidnapping in my area yesterday, some rich guy got abducted by a couple masked gunmen at a pizza place and a handful of bystanders were injured in the scuffle, and to my delight when they published the ransom letter today on the morning news... you guessed it! they used the byob font!

high fives all around everyone, we're starting to get some exposure here due to this project :)

pixaal

So, who did you kidnap and why?

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

so there was a local kidnapping in my area yesterday, some rich guy got abducted by a couple masked gunmen at a pizza place and a handful of bystanders were injured in the scuffle, and to my delight when they published the ransom letter today on the morning news... you guessed it! they used the byob font!

high fives all around everyone, we're starting to get some exposure here due to this project :)

lol

okay every time someone mentions this I can't help but think of this goldmined thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709875

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

pixaal posted:

So, who did you kidnap and why?

it's not one of my hobbies but i've heard that some people really enjoy doing it so to each their own

Manifisto posted:

lol

okay every time someone mentions this I can't help but think of this goldmined thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709875

yes!!! in the goldmine where it belongs, and there are so many people in that thread who are long gone now :(

also this quote:

treasure bear posted:

kidnappers still use this technique despite the availability of printers to preserve the craft

Goons Are Gifts

Maybe we should get some fun byob banner ad going with byob the font in it?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
david byrne is a quaker

edit: wtf!? i posted this in the chat thread.....

:stare:

Manifisto

Goons Are Gifts

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

:worship:

Goons Are Gifts

Let's banner ad that tbh

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Let's banner ad that tbh

we can do a font-themed banner ad but I'd like to give a little more thought to what it should say

suggestions are welcome tho

Goons Are Gifts

A BYOB Success Story

Farecoal

There he go
I heart Comic Sans

Goons Are Gifts

OK let's brainstorm what banner ad text would drive people in the chill internet club. Probably some wool, or the universal code for chill.

Also the ad needs a sig

alnilam

oh my god i just caught up with this and it's glorious

alnilam

sorry i had this guilty feeling of how i want to make a letter but have been mostly phone posting so i kept not looking at the thread until i felt i could contribute but here i am now and it's great

pixaal

You can add the other cases if you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

like 1 or 2 you don't have to finish the font