Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

russia's population is pretty drat spread out compared to settler states like canada and australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Still mostly concentrated in the European part but yeah not as bunched up to the border as Canada

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah circle the upper caucasus and that's the toronto-montreal corridor

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Looking at that map imagine living in Norilsk, the only city in hundreds and hundreds of miles of frozen tundra. Got to be a hard life.

Anyway what I was getting at was that the population of India is staggeringly large, massively dwarfing even Russia which from the European perspective has an enormous population itself. Any pandemic outbreak in India is going to make European numbers look piddly. For example Sweden is held up as an example of mishandling the crisis and India is suffering more deaths per day by some margin (according to many estimates) than Sweden has suffered in total. It's a humanitarian disaster off the scale.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's always funny to see the Kalingrad enclave: a little oasis of Russia in the heart of Europe :3:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's always funny to see the Kalingrad enclave: a little oasis of Russia in the heart of Europe :3:
As funny as ethnically cleansing an area and then replacing the people with Russians can be, at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

i say swears online posted:

russia's population is pretty drat spread out compared to settler states like canada and australia

lol, looking at Russia of all countries and assuming that it's not a settler state.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Budzilla posted:

Not nitpick, India could fit into Russia 5 times with room to spare.
Thanks, this is good article.
One of the other Time articles linked state that the likely infection rate is ~30 times what is reported but that is sourcing a Lancet study from January.
This is hell dimension. It won't.

Yowza, that bit about the guy losing two friends in their 30’s, has it got more deadly or is this just what happens once there are no health services?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yowza, that bit about the guy losing two friends in their 30’s, has it got more deadly or is this just what happens once there are no health services?

I havent seen anything comprehensive about variants, but remember there's 15% of the population that gets hospitalized and mostly recover. If there's no more hospital space, that's the group that starts dying.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Morrow posted:

I havent seen anything comprehensive about variants, but remember there's 15% of the population that gets hospitalized and mostly recover. If there's no more hospital space, that's the group that starts dying.

There was a study in the US earlier this year that showed that mortality spiked at around 95% ICU capacity. Not enough beds, not enough supplies, not enough doctors.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I was going to make a post about the high smoking rates in India but I just checked and their tobacco consumption is completely unremarkable by global standards, so it can't be that.

In the Uk, the key thing that everyone's always tried to avoid is the healthcare system becoming overwhelmed, 'cos if that happened, everyone that got seriously ill (not just with Covid, but anything) would just die, because there'd be no critical care beds to put them in. It could well be that we're now seeing in India what it looks like when a country gets to that stage in the pandemic.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think what might be of a particular issue in India is a mixture of income disparity/poverty and literally just how busy the cities are. The income disparity and poverty means people cannot afford to stay home and the busyness contributes to how easily the virus then spreads when everybody is out and about.

Added to that factor is that hospital capacity per capita is very low in India (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.BEDS.ZS) and you have a health system that gets overwhelmed quicker than in most places, especially compared to the west.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The author of the TIME article is Rana Ayyub. Her Twitter feed is an excellent (read: incredibly grim) resource on COVID in India.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Still mostly concentrated in the European part but yeah not as bunched up to the border as Canada
drat you Mercator scale! :argh:

Anyways I find myself unsuprised that Mumbai seems to be the epicenter of chaos, and at the same time curious as to why. What made Mumbai this gigantic sprawl of both squalor and Hindutva populism? This is the South Asia thread after all.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I don't know about chaos, but I know that there's a long history of Marathi nationalist (or regionalist, I guess) sentiment that's tied to the Hindu identity. A lot of Shiv Sena's politics are specifically about enforcing a Marathi identity onto Mumbai, so Hindutva nationalism fits nicely into that. Big rural population too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I’m curious if anyone can speak to the prevalence of alt med in India as a potential aggravating factor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I’m curious if anyone can speak to the prevalence of alt med in India as a potential aggravating factor.

See the TIME article I linked. BJP officials have been promoting cow piss and turmeric (either separately or together) as COVID miracle cures.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, Germany's the biggest country in Europe, with about 80m people, so 150m is still nearly twice that, so it's pretty big relative to European countries.

But yeah, Russia's quite like Canada or Australia in that they have an absolutely enormous territory, but nearly all the people live in one quite small part of it and the rest is largely empty.

Yeah, I was just wondering how they managed to have the numbers to lose millions of people during WW2 with a population size similar to the USA (at the time). But I just looked at their population graph and yikes. If the war had gone on for another few years they wouldn't have anyone left.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/saadmohseni/status/1387147424255381509?s=21

Feels like most Indian journalists giving interviews in the West have lost someone now. It's one of those tiny details that really drives home the scale of the crisis, especially given that journalism is a relatively elite profession.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is this concentrated in a few urban areas like Delhi and Mubai, or is it nationwide? Someone mentioned air quality as a possible comorbidity, and having visited Delhi during the burning season I can certainly see that being a factor.

Whatever the exact mix of causes, the graphs are pretty shocking:

I've stared at countless graphs since this thing started and its rare to see such a crazy spike, especially a year into it where basically everywhere has gone through at least one wave of the thing.

I think blaming the BJP and Modi for this is at least partly correct, but I think there's a big set of unknowns here as well. Different regions of the world spike at different times. Sometimes this seems related to some policy or a big event, and other times it seems totally random. Much of the US has no restrictions at all anymore, and yet Canada which has been cautious and successful since the very start has a higher infection rate than the states. Coming back to India, all those political rallies are obviously perfect places to spread a virus. And yet its odd this spike didn't happen sooner. India's initial lockdown was largely bungled, with huge numbers of migrant workers moving across the country. That's also a great way to spread a virus and yet it somehow didn't take hold. The virus seems to ebb and flow on its own almost as much as its influenced by human healthcare. Lets hope it gives India a break now, because Modi doesn't seem like he's going to fix anything.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Count Roland posted:

Coming back to India, all those political rallies are obviously perfect places to spread a virus. And yet its odd this spike didn't happen sooner. India's initial lockdown was largely bungled, with huge numbers of migrant workers moving across the country. That's also a great way to spread a virus and yet it somehow didn't take hold. The virus seems to ebb and flow on its own almost as much as its influenced by human healthcare. Lets hope it gives India a break now, because Modi doesn't seem like he's going to fix anything.
AFAIK there has never been a single super spreader event caused by an outdoor event and not, for example, people mingling afterwards in the White House. So unless Modi was holding indoor events, this should be disregarded.

The missing factor is superspreader luck. For example, a single member of a South Korean cult was directly responsible for over 5000 infections. Most people will infect just one or two people, but every so often a really friendly flight attendant who loves karaoke gets infected and spends two weeks infecting everyone around them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Is this concentrated in a few urban areas like Delhi and Mubai, or is it nationwide? Someone mentioned air quality as a possible comorbidity, and having visited Delhi during the burning season I can certainly see that being a factor.

I've stared at countless graphs since this thing started and its rare to see such a crazy spike, especially a year into it where basically everywhere has gone through at least one wave of the thing.

I think blaming the BJP and Modi for this is at least partly correct, but I think there's a big set of unknowns here as well. Different regions of the world spike at different times. Sometimes this seems related to some policy or a big event, and other times it seems totally random. Much of the US has no restrictions at all anymore, and yet Canada which has been cautious and successful since the very start has a higher infection rate than the states. Coming back to India, all those political rallies are obviously perfect places to spread a virus. And yet its odd this spike didn't happen sooner. India's initial lockdown was largely bungled, with huge numbers of migrant workers moving across the country. That's also a great way to spread a virus and yet it somehow didn't take hold. The virus seems to ebb and flow on its own almost as much as its influenced by human healthcare. Lets hope it gives India a break now, because Modi doesn't seem like he's going to fix anything.

It's absolutely ravaging rural India. The only reason we're not hearing more about it is because the information infrastructure is as poor as every other kind of infrastructure there.

https://twitter.com/timesofindia/status/1385113638499872771?s=21

https://twitter.com/ranaayyub/status/1386986819716222978?s=21

Election gatherings are strongly correlated with COVID-19 spread...

https://twitter.com/shoaibdaniyal/status/1387018824352890880?s=21

... to the point where the Madras High Court has recommended that the Election Commission of India be arrested on murder charges.

https://twitter.com/ranaayyub/status/1386975110091853824?s=21

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Count Roland posted:

Those graphs are also under reporting the number of deaths by a factor of at least 10, if very credible reports on the ground are to be believed.

BBC posted:

Goa has become the latest state to announce a lockdown.

Officials said the strict four-day lockdown would last from Thursday night until Monday morning. Many states have announced similar measures as Covid cases surge.

“If people do not step out for the next four days we will be successful in breaking the chain of this surge,” Goa's Chief Minister Pramod Sawant told local media.
Many other states are also not introducing a lockdown so I suppose just having one at all is something positive but from what we know of Covid19 a 4 day lockdown is utterly ineffective. I doubt it will even make a noticeable difference. And this is one of the "good" guys during the crisis, it really is a horrific case of the government abdicating all responsibility and allowing a deadly pandemic to take its natural course through society.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 28, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

AFAIK there has never been a single super spreader event caused by an outdoor event and not, for example, people mingling afterwards in the White House. So unless Modi was holding indoor events, this should be disregarded.

I haven't come across any either. A study I found looking for outside spread to 3 or more people found no examples, just one example (in China I think) of a small scale spread outside. Still, if you have a tightly packed crowd where say 5% of people are positive then some amount of spread there is very likely. Its just not spreading it to the entire crowd, only those standing adjacent to those who are infectious.

quote:

The missing factor is superspreader luck. For example, a single member of a South Korean cult was directly responsible for over 5000 infections. Most people will infect just one or two people, but every so often a really friendly flight attendant who loves karaoke gets infected and spends two weeks infecting everyone around them.

I think you're right on this point as well. There could also be genetic elements here too. Maybe people in India had some sort of resistance initially but do not have resistance to the variants seen there. That's pure speculation of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, India itself seems to be providing most of the data right now on how large, unmasked, tightly-packed outdoor gatherings can spread COVID-19. The statistics from West Bengal seem to paint a pretty clear picture.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Flayer posted:

Many other states are also not introducing a lockdown so I suppose just having one at all is something positive but from what we know of Covid19 a 4 day lockdown is utterly ineffective. I doubt it will even make a noticeable difference. And this is one of the "good" guys during the crisis, it really is a horrific case of the government abdicating all responsibility and allowing a deadly pandemic to take its natural course through society.

You could be talking about the US here.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, India itself seems to be providing most of the data right now on how large, unmasked, tightly-packed outdoor gatherings can spread COVID-19. The statistics from West Bengal seem to paint a pretty clear picture.

It isn't clear, nor complete. Many US states have few/no restrictions in place and yet their cases are quite low. Now is not the first time India had a lot of people together outside in the past year. I'm not saying gatherings like this played no role, merely that there's other factors at play, some of which seem to be invisible. Don't be surprised if cases decrease without a change in policy, or if they remain high even with drastic measures taken.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/n_waters89/status/1387480447853244420?s=21

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want balkanization to occur to India now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Should he have started a go fund me instead?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It’s time to liberate India

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I want balkanization to occur to India now.

if you want to make things infinitely worse I guess that's a good way to do it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Badger of Basra posted:

if you want to make things infinitely worse I guess that's a good way to do it

Now now, it's not that bad, just look at the last time it was partitione... oh.

Oh, you might have a point there.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

PT6A posted:

Now now, it's not that bad, just look at the last time it was partitione... oh.

Oh, you might have a point there.

Just gotta partition better than the brits.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Like a state for South/Dravidian India? The southern states have a billion less people than north of the Deccan, and I doubt they have much representation in Delhi...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Like a state for South/Dravidian India? The southern states have a billion less people than north of the Deccan, and I doubt they have much representation in Delhi...

how would this help

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yeah giving Delhi a colony to terrorize isn't an improvement. One of the big drivers of the current mode of colonialism is that not having a territory be painted your color on a map means that you can say it's not your problem if the people there are suffering.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Good luck with that!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio I am begging you to read a book for once

Or even just the Wikipedia article on the Partition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's crazy how what's happening in India has been reduced to a minor story in the press in the last few days, all of them parroting the official figures. It's diabolical how millions of deaths are going to be swept under the rug while almost nothing is done at a government level to combat it.

In the UK for example (where I'm sure there has been some fudging but generally seems fairly accurate) cases and deaths per day peaked at around 60,000 and 2,000 respectively in the most recent lockdown period. This in a country where hospitals were never overwhelmed and seemed on the whole to be within capacity. India has officially reported a high of around 400,000 daily new cases at its peak (very likely a vast under reporting of the real situation) which would lead to around 14,000 deaths based on the UK model. However India's healthcare system appears to have completely collapsed, testing isn't even vaguely close to being adequate and the strains of Covid19 detected in India seem to be the most virulent yet. I can't see the daily number of fatal cases being any lower than 50k a day at the moment and over the last week or so and possibly much higher.

I guess it is boom time for oxygen suppliers though.