Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i wish to protest the erasure of the maldives

So do the maldives, but nobody cares and the sea level keeps rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tino posted:

The empire rulers play different ethnic/sectarian groups against each other in order to stay on top and in control, Brits were not the only one doing it, both Stalin, French did it, but the Brits do it more skillfully. So all of them were fully responsible for the blood of their hands when they were rulers of the empires. But when they leave, their main goal is to stay in good grace with all former colony countries for maximum trade benefit.

Nation State is actually a pretty recent concept came out of Westphalia Treaty. How do you choose to interpret the definition of border and citizen in dealing with the neighbors, a nation has certain degree of flexibility.

Not all empires did this. The Mughal Empire, for example, and in the exact region currently being discussed, explicitly tried to maintain harmony between different ethnic and religious groups. The view of the concept of empire as being inextricably linked to European-style colonialism is inherently Eurocentric.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

Not all empires did this. The Mughal Empire, for example, and in the exact region currently being discussed, explicitly tried to maintain harmony between different ethnic and religious groups. The view of the concept of empire as being inextricably linked to European-style colonialism is inherently Eurocentric.

The way I see it, if you are an "empire" in 18th and 19th century, you have to embrace the breakneck pace of technology advancement to survive, otherwise you would get swallowed due to new technology changing the ballgame so much. These include empires that didn't use colonization to expand, the Manchu Qing Dynasty, the Russian Empire, the Ottoman empire, all use gunpowder to expand from their borders. Mughal's peak was about a century earlier than the gunpowder empires. I think it never made the transition from frudel to a more centralized bureaucracy. A good comparison is the Korean Joseon empire. Both of them had good geographical protection from the land routes and slow down on social reform, and both ended up being colonized by a sea power hegemon. Qing made a serious effort to reform and ultimately collapsed in on itself.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while i have sympathy for the apparently vaguely pro-independence Muslim population and, you know, the UN assessment that they should be allowed self-determination, I figure the best plausible outcome is some sort of increased-autonomy arrangement for Kashmir within India that cuts popular support for the various insurgent groups off at the knees

even that is... unlikely

Yeah, and things like the following don't really help..

https://twitter.com/CallSignONE/status/1102475899130310656

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flayer posted:

Colonialism was bad, that is a pretty much universally accepted fact. Apart from Japan and Korea every country outside of Europe suffered from invading European colonisers

Hey, European countries also suffered from invading European colonisers, just look at Ireland or Poland.

But also, it's not like colonisers were always exclusively Europeans. Europeans were simply the most recent and successful at it, but you don't need to search long to find examples of conquest and colonization done by non-European cultures too.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Squalid posted:

I haven't actually taken any position on the statements of historical record made by Helsing. I don't really know enough to even have an opinion about development and economics under the Raj. I'm annoyed at the way he has hopelessly confused some kind of morality with dialectical materialism and as a result produced a frankenstein Marxist theology which is of zero analytical or interpretive use to anyone. Most of all I'm probably just offended at what I felt was his implication that I had made an "ethical defense" of the British Empire. Ethics being essentially irrelevant to a materialist or empirical view of history they are something I make a point of avoiding.

I don't know if this is your genuine interpretation of what I wrote or just some poorly articulated attempt at an ice burn, but either way lol. Sometimes it is helpful to actually read what the other person writes instead of apparently forming your analysis of their opinions based on their forums avatar.

Anyway please excuse me, I need to go to my office and throw out all my history books on World War II. You see quite a few of them make these bizzare references to the historical "evil" of the holocaust which of course means we need to instantly disregard everything they say, because that's definitely a principled and consistent position that you actually believe in and not an insanely stupid double standard you pulled out of your rear end just now.

quote:

His bizarre grand standing regarding the trivial and uncontroversial point that colonialism is bad is also entirely uninteresting and does little to frame the current crisis at the border.

Since you already said that you lack the knowledge to form a proper opinion on this issue I find it remarkable that in the very same post you're trying to lay down authoritative guidelines on what is or is not relevant.

just another posted:

I take your point, but if the conversation was about antisemitism and neofascism in contemporary Poland (in the same way this conversation is about current events and not the Raj), then you probably wouldn't quibble about putting the Holocaust into a wider historical context.

I don't think there are any apologists in this thread.

Of course I wouldn't. But my point here is that noting the 'divide and rule' nature of the Raj and the fact that the Raj was entirely predicated around resource extraction and geopolitical maneuvering is the relevant historical context and a statement like "it's not as though history began when the British arrived" seems, if anything, to decontextualize the situation by removing agency from the people who controlled the subcontinent up until the partition happened.

This is also why comparing the British Empire with the Nazis can be so polemically useful. The vast majority of native English speakers are reflexive apologists for the British empire, typically without fully realizing it. We've been trained by thousands of hours of film and television and other media to see Britain in a very particular light that superficially acknowledges some British crimes while functionally erasing or seriously downplaying how the empire actually functioned. This is the usefulness of the Nazi example: nobody is likely to be surprised at the thought that if the Nazis ruled a territory in eastern Europe and then were forced to withdraw then there'd likely to be horrific infighting and all kinds of other problems emerging in the territories the Nazis ruled.

We are so reflexively inclined to give the British a pass that sometimes a historical analogy is necessary to prompt people to actually think about what colonial rule meant in practice. None of this is meant to erase the role played by locals or to suggest that local ethnic and religious rivalries need to be explained by reference to outside forces. The natural mode of human behaviour is tribal and tribes tend to accumulate long lists of grievances against their neighboring tribes. Nevertheless, any honest examination of the Indian subcontinent has to start with an honest accounting of how the Empire was designed to weaken and not strengthen its subject territories.

The alternative is we fall back on the still popular crypto-racist narrative about plucky Brits trying and failing to spread the light of civilization and technology to the savages. By this accounting the British gave India their best shot, gifted it with lovely democratic institutions, and then were forced to leave after the bloodthirsty natives got too uppity. Cause a lot of people still stick with that version of history and it absolutely colours any discussion of this region.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Anti-imperialism is always noble but bringing up the British empire in a discussion about the potentially catastrophic conflict between India and Pakistan seems about as appropriate as bringing up the treaty of versailles in a discussion about the holocaust.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Mercrom posted:

Anti-imperialism is always noble but bringing up the British empire in a discussion about the potentially catastrophic conflict between India and Pakistan seems about as appropriate as bringing up the treaty of versailles in a discussion about the holocaust.

The only way that might arguably be true is if you ignore how the Cold War era imperialism of the Soviet Union and the United States continued to influence the conflict and formed the context under which President Zia-ul-Haq's American and Saudi backed regime pursued development of a nuclear weapons program and Islamicization of state institutions during the 1980s.

Besides which, were I to discuss the American civil war in more than cursory detail I would absolutely discuss the status of the 13 colonies prior to independence and then discuss how these experiences lead into the articles of confederation, then the modern constitution, which then set up the conflicts between federal and state power that became the focus of Northern-Southern rivalries. Because history tends to be really important for understanding contemporary conflicts.

The only context in which I could see this history as being irrelevant would be people who want this thread to exclusively be about breaking news and really superficial breathless analysis of current events. Frankly we'd be better served going to regular news sites for that stuff. Talking about long term historical context and relating current events back to that context just seems like an inherently more suitable kind of discussion for this format. People need to get over the idea that Something Awful can or should be your primary news source. D&D should be the place you come to talk about the news, not where you come to learn about it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I can't tell if this is some sort of parody

Air India crew members have to say Jai Hind after every in-flight announcement

quote:

New Delhi: 

Air India crew will now have to say "Jai Hind" after every flight announcement "with much fervour", an official advisory of the airline said today. Officials say it is a "reminder" to the staff, in line with the "mood of the nation".

"With immediate effect, all (crew) are required to announce ''Jai Hind'' at the end of every announcement after a slight pause and much fervour," the advisory issued by Amitabh Singh, Director of Operations read.

During his first stint as Air India's Chairman and Managing Director, Ashwani Lohani had issued a similar direction to pilots in May 2016.

"The captain of a flight should often connect with passengers during the journey and, at the end of first address, using the words ''Jai Hind'' would make a tremendous impact," Mr Lohani said in a communication to his staff in May 2016.

"The cabin crew should greet the passengers while emplaning and deplaning with a ''namaskaar'' as was the tradition. A smile on the face and conversing sweetly and politely without an iota of irritation would be a good thing, he had instructed the crew.

Upto this point only the captain used to say it after their initial announcement.

A quick Google search has every local news site repeating the news, hopefully there will be some clarification tomorrow indicating if it's fake or not.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What does Jai Hind mean?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Victory to India is the most direct translation but depending on context it can also mean long live India

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

1stGear posted:

What does Jai Hind mean?

Like the equivalent of "God bless America"/the USA chant, it looks like

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Helsing posted:

This is also why comparing the British Empire with the Nazis can be so polemically useful. The vast majority of native English speakers are reflexive apologists for the British empire, typically without fully realizing it. We've been trained by thousands of hours of film and television and other media to see Britain in a very particular light that superficially acknowledges some British crimes while functionally erasing or seriously downplaying how the empire actually functioned. This is the usefulness of the Nazi example: nobody is likely to be surprised at the thought that if the Nazis ruled a territory in eastern Europe and then were forced to withdraw then there'd likely to be horrific infighting and all kinds of other problems emerging in the territories the Nazis ruled.
Seems unlikely, since if the Nazis had ruled Eastern Europe for another 10 years every non-German would be dead.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

1stGear posted:

What does Jai Hind mean?

It is the equivalent to Pakistan Zindabad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dodoman posted:

Victory to India is the most direct translation but depending on context it can also mean long live India

The Narrator posted:

Like the equivalent of "God bless America"/the USA chant, it looks like

Thanks!

Dante80 posted:

It is the equivalent to Pakistan Zindabad.

:negative:

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mercrom posted:

Anti-imperialism is always noble but bringing up the British empire in a discussion about the potentially catastrophic conflict between India and Pakistan

There would be no Pakistan (East and West) if not for the British

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

svenkatesh posted:

There would be no Pakistan (East and West) if not for the British

I'm not sure whether I'm glad you're a poster hereabouts now or mad you're diluting my brand as the only Hindu goon :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not sure whether I'm glad you're a poster hereabouts now or mad you're diluting my brand as the only Hindu goon :v:

like gillibrand, you're destined to be nothing more than a water-downed alternative to the market-leading brand

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

like gillibrand, you're destined to be nothing more than a water-downed alternative to the market-leading brand

:negative:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

:iceburn:

Also Greyjoy I've been picturing you as Cohen so this comes as a shock to me, personally.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, I'm here to further dilute it! (Even though I'm an atheist, I came from a Hindu family :ssh:)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-kashmir-blast/blast-in-indias-jammu-and-kashmir-wounds-at-least-18-police-idUSKCN1QO0LP?il=0

Someone threw a grenade at a bus station in Jammu and wounded 18 people.

Edit: 1 dead and 32 wounded now.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 8, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

:iceburn:

Also Greyjoy I've been picturing you as Cohen so this comes as a shock to me, personally.

i'm a convert to weird bengali hindu quasi-unitarianism (GOOGLE SRI RAMAKRISHNA, HUG UR PARENTS), so you can keep picturing me as cohen

:(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do we have a proper Southasia.jpg thread in GBS? Even South America has one. (I have major gaps in my cultural and geographic knowledge of many regions there.)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grouchio posted:

Do we have a proper Southasia.jpg thread in GBS? Even South America has one. (I have major gaps in my cultural and geographic knowledge of many regions there.)

I hope not. There was an India thread a while ago and it descended into a racist shitshow really quickly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

I hope not. There was an India thread a while ago and it descended into a racist shitshow really quickly.

Well if you know a better way to fill in major knowledge gaps about a foreign culture I'd sure like to hear them mister.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The last time I looked at a pakistan.jpg thread, I saw that:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pooja303singh/status/1090957284686159872

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Pakistan vs India: Is your Vestibule gapping?

edit: the comments going "no this is totally what they teach in med school: :smith:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 7, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Vagina is roomy

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Cat Mattress posted:

The last time I looked at a pakistan.jpg thread, I saw that:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pooja303singh/status/1090957284686159872

I would not consent to treatment from any doctor whose Med School textbook headers were formatted in Comic Sans.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

tino posted:

You can't divide the two countries by religions because people don't live physically on two side of an invisible line. There was nothing the British could draw on the map that can satisfy both sides.

Yes it was a Brit who draw the border line but a lot of this bad blood had to do with the subcontinent was not unified before the British except a brief time under Ashoka; there was no unified single language and culture to build a common foundation for a single nation state; subcontinent long lasting caste system has tendency to encourage two different religions because the oppressed lower castes has inventive to jump ship to a different religion that doesn't recognize caste in principle.

So the Brit top priority was get the gently caress out of the British Raj asap and don't get blame. They couldn't prevent the split of the country by religions. I mean the Brits probably could have and should have cut out another country for the Sikhs but interestingly they didn't.

I'm not as familiar with the larger India example, but I've got Sri Lanka to compare at least. And while there was very little divide and conquer going on there regarding the Tamils and Sinhalese, good GOD the Brits were insanely clueless to the nationalist nightmare bubbling up there. And so were the heavily British educated political class they were mostly ceding the reigns to.
While yes it was an insanely tough challenge to make that tension work, I genuinely think the British generally speaking were just astoundingly out of touch with the dangers of these types of issues around that time. The idea that much of it was run by clueless upper class twits really seems pretty valid.
Hell even in their own home countries an apartheid state had formed in Northern Ireland and I don't really think London honestly noticed anything was the matter until poo poo started going crazy in the late 60's.

The late British Empire was a myopic bumbling old man in a constant state of spouting boy scout slogans and dropping colonies like dinner plates.
As if Darth Vader transformed into Mr Magoo

Grape fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 8, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/nazir_lord/status/1157146243505594370?s=19

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1157883256911605760?s=19

https://twitter.com/ahmermkhan/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Some local Kashmiri political leaders have been placed under house arrest too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

India please stop escalating poo poo every six months.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You'd think Modi would've waited till after the Amarnath Yatra to pull something like this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

You'd think Modi would've waited till after the Amarnath Yatra to pull something like this.

America is distracted by pain. Also Modi was embarrassed and must save face.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is it okay if I ask a few "baby questions" on India in this thread? Unlike China, there doesn't seem to be an official India thread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKCN1UU0E4

Indian officials have announced the following restrictions will be put in place at midnight local time in Srinagar until further notice:

No movement of public.
All educational institutions shall remain closed
All public meetings or rallies are banned.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it okay if I ask a few "baby questions" on India in this thread? Unlike China, there doesn't seem to be an official India thread.

Yeah just ask. There are a small handful of Indian posters that occasionally pass through (not me). Others of us have studied enough we can at minimum point you in the right direction.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1158253659416739841
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1158254061872803840

im a dumb babby american who has been mostly following this through intelcrab while filling the gaps in on wikipedia. I can't tell if this is.... good...??? or if it will start a war with pakistan????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I would prefer there be no nuclear war between India and Pakistan at this time.