Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Given the oxygen shortages being reported, it's not surprising to see death rates this high. It's gotten to the point where having to be hospitalized is analogous to a death sentence, because the beds and equipment just aren't there. This is literally the flatten the curve argument playing out, people who most likely would have survived aren't even getting the chance to be triaged, demand is so high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Morrow posted:

I havent seen anything comprehensive about variants, but remember there's 15% of the population that gets hospitalized and mostly recover. If there's no more hospital space, that's the group that starts dying.

There was a study in the US earlier this year that showed that mortality spiked at around 95% ICU capacity. Not enough beds, not enough supplies, not enough doctors.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I don't know about chaos, but I know that there's a long history of Marathi nationalist (or regionalist, I guess) sentiment that's tied to the Hindu identity. A lot of Shiv Sena's politics are specifically about enforcing a Marathi identity onto Mumbai, so Hindutva nationalism fits nicely into that. Big rural population too.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Looks like the official death toll is reaching the 4k per day mark