Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

What does it say on the scrolls? It hangs where I work and it’s driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
STOP

COFFEE REPLACES TEA FROM HERE.

PREVENT YOUR DEATH!

GO NO FARTHER.

FACT: More than 300 employees, including experienced office workers, have died in break rooms like this.

FACT: You needed training to serve tea. You need training to serve coffee.

FACT: Without coffee training and coffee equipment, employees can die here.

FACT: It CAN happen to YOU!

THERE'S NOTHING IN THIS ROOM WORTH DYING FOR!

DO NOT SERVE HOT DRINKS UNTRAINED BEYOND THIS POINT.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can’t actually decipher the letters, OP, could you write out what you think it says?

I see “bahn” or “hahn” and maybe a ß (double s) so I’m thinking German of sorts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

bolind posted:

so I’m thinking German of sorts.

:agreed:

it's one of the moderately weird blackletter typefaces (eg "e" is still recognisable as such, whereas it would look like "n" in the really rear end-backwards ones). The banner on the left is "[illegible] bringt Himels Lon" which is badly spelled/drunk/several centuries old for "[...] gives heaven's reward".

I bet if you manage to transcribe all of these they end up forming ye olde motivational poster.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think it’s “bringt Himels Lob” but the rest of it I have no idea.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Late to the party, but the language may be Swiss German. I found one traveler's mention of the original being an 18th century piece that is in the collection of the Basel Historical Museum.

The traveler's entry is here, with a photo of the original in the museum.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

TofuDiva posted:

Late to the party, but the language may be Swiss German. I found one traveler's mention of the original being an 18th century piece that is in the collection of the Basel Historical Museum.

The traveler's entry is here, with a photo of the original in the museum.

How did you ever find this? Got lucky?

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
Enlarged text:

Ei?? bringt himels ??n

??? ?oben ???

?... ?ahn

??

??

They really made an effort to make it unreadable

MrOzzy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 5, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

MrOzzy posted:

How did you ever find this? Got lucky?

Mostly luck with a few teaspoons of stubborn, I guess. I just googled things, switching it up when terms led to repetitive results. I don't remember for certain which string ended up working, but I recall having the best luck when I included "verdure" (that type of background) and some of the beasts that are shown (gryphon, lion, unicorn, stag). I also deliberately did not include the word "tapestry," since from the OP's photo, I wasn't sure whether it was a woven textile or an embroidered one.

Each search's image results were fairly quick to look over, since the ribbons with text are unusual and quick for the eye to catch. But you are absolutely right, they are not easy to decipher!

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Maybe you should look on the other side for a label, considering this is not some ancient artifact. If there isn't a tag, ask the people you work with where it came from. I'm guessing they'll say 'Dunno, it was always here.' In that case you might check some places that sell wall art for commercial establishments.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

STOP

COFFEE REPLACES TEA FROM HERE.

PREVENT YOUR DEATH!

GO NO FARTHER.

FACT: More than 300 employees, including experienced office workers, have died in break rooms like this.

FACT: You needed training to serve tea. You need training to serve coffee.

FACT: Without coffee training and coffee equipment, employees can die here.

FACT: It CAN happen to YOU!

THERE'S NOTHING IN THIS ROOM WORTH DYING FOR!

DO NOT SERVE HOT DRINKS UNTRAINED BEYOND THIS POINT.

thank you

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
"Many curiously designed tapestries of German 15th-century origin are to be seen in the museum at Basel—one of them (fig. 21) displays strange beasts, unicorns, stags in the midst of Gothic foliage, and labels with legends"
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Tapestry
stock image version here
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-fine-arts-tapestry-antependium-with-four-symbolic-fabulous-animals-111309913.html

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here, I isolated the text from the original tapestry:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Have you considered writing to the Basel Historical Museum to ask if they know what it says? Surely they have to have someone on hand unless it's one of those privately run one room museums with a grand name.

e: which it isn't, looks like a proper museum with historians on staff and poo poo, I think it's worth a go.

The problem in deciphering it is really that half of it consists of apparently identical vertical lines so you kinda have to have pre-existing knowledge of the vocabulary and orthography of the time, just working out the letters ain't gonna cut it I think.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

You should inquire here!

https://www.virtue.to/articles/tapestry_reproductions.html

Look!

This is a mostly-wool tapestry; the original is in Basel, Switzerland; not sure of the date yet, but I'm betting around 1400. I got it on eBay for $63 plus shipping. Friends found other sources selling them new for over $1,200. It's 4 feet x 6.5 feet.

It pays to be patient.