Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

are there any gameplay differences or is it purely cosmetic?
Very technically, different weights and that's it. (also a bit of flavor text change but that's still pretty cosmetic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Dr. Stab posted:

If you're on the other side of the occluding wall, it's not being occluded, is it? Also, occlusion culling is really more of a local thing. In an open world game, you wouldn't have distant objects loaded in the first place to be able to be culled by the renderer. And performance issues seem to be more related to data streaming than render time. Like that video posted seems to be the game going "oh poo poo I'm out of memory and I need to do the catch animation" and then whatever process that is supposed to quietly free up space for that hosed up and defaulted to unloading everything except the low detail world mesh, and then the game chugged as everything slowly loaded back in. And that sort of thing makes sense to be a problem because that's the hard part about making an open world game.

I make VRChat worlds in Unity and if I clip through an asset I can tell if occlusion culling is working because the assets in the world don't load when I'm inside of it. That's one way I test to make sure it's working. Only the skybox and the terrain would load, not all the details.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I buy the main Pokémon releases and other long running series like Bayonetta physically because I already have the others and I like to look at all of my pretty objects laid out in my big house in big America.

I downloaded PLA, Brilliant Diamond, and Omega Ruby though. Not sure why I didn't just download Ultra Sun, but there you go. I like collecting poo poo.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Lacrosse posted:

I make VRChat worlds in Unity and if I clip through an asset I can tell if occlusion culling is working because the assets in the world don't load when I'm inside of it. That's one way I test to make sure it's working. Only the skybox and the terrain would load, not all the details.

how do you know whether the assets have loaded? you are looking at debug output, or you have a "camera" that is distinct from the player avatar and you look at what's rendered for the camera?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Hammerite posted:

how do you know whether the assets have loaded? you are looking at debug output, or you have a "camera" that is distinct from the player avatar and you look at what's rendered for the camera?

I load the world into the game engine and I run around in it. I can see that the only loaded assets that are in my field of view when inside a solid asset (like a building) are the skybox and the terrain. In the unity editor I have more ability to debug, there's a way to see what occludes when the camera is moved around.

Admitably I'm just a hobbyist doing it for fun and not a career so I may not be entirely correct, this has just been my experience. The game camera in my case is first person perspective and not third person so it might be different in the games. It's clear that Gamefreak could use some more tech artists though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I guess the thing I'm not sure about is what I said in the original post I made on the topic. If the camera is in a position to show some far-off-object, and it is shown, then that's not evidence that no occlusion culling takes place. By definition, if occlusion culling is taking place, you don't know about it because you couldn't in any case see the thing that is or isn't being drawn! If the player clips through a wall, or causes the camera to pass through a wall into the void, and other parts of the game world are drawn, it's not evidence that those things would still be drawn if the player or the camera hadn't clipped through the wall, even if it seems likely to be the case. If you're just looking at video output from someone's Switch rather than at debugging tools, then you don't have direct evidence of whether things are being drawn by the engine.

I'm having difficulty picking a version. I like the Scarlet exclusive pokemon better but I like the Violet fashion I see in screenshots better. I guess I will probably end up getting Scarlet because I like the pokemon so much more. Is there a difference in accessories the player character can get?

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Starjeti/status/1592712852514959362?s=20&t=7vJRnSQJJOH0rwNGxqOGew

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

how can you not love that animation. it's amazing

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

super excited to see all the framerate freak out themselves. Have a great time everyone!!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
*taps side of head* Can't be disappointed with framerate issues when you were expecting them to begin with

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

An Actual Princess posted:

The eyebrow sliding in from the left is a bit weird tho

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Framboise posted:

*taps side of head* Can't be disappointed with framerate issues when you were expecting them to begin with

Yup, i've played a Pokemon game before I know what to expect.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

it's pretty terrible tbh

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Looks like a shitpost lol

Anyway, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna wait until the first big patch to pick it up :)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

The eyebrow sliding in from the left is a bit weird tho

that's not what's happening lol. Are you stupid.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
it's supposed to be a leaf blowing past or something. but lol, it does look like an eyebrow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its definitely not a leaf. i think its their hair clipping through their hat tho, not an eyebrow

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Endorph posted:

its definitely not a leaf. i think its their hair clipping through their hat tho, not an eyebrow

nm actually

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hogama posted:

It might depend on the individual store and person you ask but my last personal experience with a simple attempt to see if I could buy something on the shelf at Walmart early (like, the night before the official release), the system beeped the clerk that the game wasn't able to be sold yet and that was that. WAS back in 2008, so things could be different.

When the purple and orange joycons came out my walmart had like 10 stocked in the display case and refused to sell me any on three consecutive days after the street date.

Walmart can suck a fat one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
none of that is why the animation looks bad, it's just a very stupid looking and lazy way to animate eating a sandwich and an obvious step down from the curry animations we got not that long ago

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
extremely torn between which starter I'm going to take

- Skeledirge is extremely my jam, but there's already so many ghost types I want to use
- cat seems like the "normie" choice but I love its animations
- Nothing about the duck really does it for me but it seems far and away the least popular which inherently draws me to it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Blockhouse posted:

- Nothing about the duck really does it for me but it seems far and away the least popular which inherently draws me to it

wth the duck is the best one, are people really spurning my boy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am gonna pick the duck, his hair is based

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hammerite posted:

wth the duck is the best one, are people really spurning my boy

conceptually I like it and the animations are great but the design, typing, moves, etc all leave me cold

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can't expect the biggest videogame IP in the world to have good eatings.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The duck is both creepy and wet, you simply must pick it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I legitimately still don't know how they did that

"character actually taking a visible bite out of something" is up there with "character gets under bedsheets" and "character hands something to someone" in the halls of Really Difficult To Animate Video Game Stuff

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

super excited to see all the framerate freak out themselves. Have a great time everyone!!

How was the frame rate in your experience?

That one tweet is bad (the catching a Pokemon one, the sandwich one is fine with me) but not a dealbreaker for me. Just means I'll read goon opinions at work before buying instead of preordering.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Weed Cat is obviously supposed to be the favorite since its evo gets ---Protean--- but grass is due for some favoritism so I'm chill (and biased since I always go Grass).

Otherwise, other starters are cool because you still get to choose between keyboard nose gator with bird friend and extremely flamboyant duckman. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these starters.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I will take the Miror B. Duck

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mega64 posted:

How was the frame rate in your experience?

bad! i simply didn't care because the game is fun

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah that was also my impression. It's a good game that runs badly, as opposed to SW/SH which is a bad game that runs badly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mega64 posted:

Weed Cat is obviously supposed to be the favorite since its evo gets ---Protean--- but grass is due for some favoritism so I'm chill (and biased since I always go Grass).

Otherwise, other starters are cool because you still get to choose between keyboard nose gator with bird friend and extremely flamboyant duckman. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these starters.

Protean did get nerfed to hell this gen though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not having a battle tower is a big L tho

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Augus posted:

not having a battle tower is a big L tho

agree w/ that. its postgame is meager.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
PKMN Fans, GEN 8: Ending the main plot with a ride up the battle tower meant for the post-game is the laziest thing ever!

PKMN Fans, GEN 9: :mad:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What's the post-game this time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Metapod posted:

pvp

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Metapod posted:

Gotta hunt for the biggest loving Pokemon you can find and nickname it "Big Jeff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Blockhouse posted:

I legitimately still don't know how they did that

"character actually taking a visible bite out of something" is up there with "character gets under bedsheets" and "character hands something to someone" in the halls of Really Difficult To Animate Video Game Stuff
I'm not asking for anything like that, I just want like... basic decent animation.

Like, have her hold the sandwich in her hands, raise to mouth, chomp, a little visual effect and then there's a cartoony bite taken out of it. It doesn't need realistic physics, I don't need yakuza bread.gif. it just shouldn't look terrible lol