Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

indigi posted:

oh so you want them to do 24/7 crunch with no overtime pay???? you lunatic rear end in a top hat

tbf game freak is not a gigantic company. I think to actually get to that point they would need to outsource a ton of art. I think there's also some pipeline problems that would make it hard.

I think it's less "we can't afford it" but more "we don't want to kill the golden goose by restructuring the company and scaling up rapidly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mesadoram posted:

Just out of curiosity I checked out the number of employees they have. According to Google: 169. I checked out a different studio for shits and giggles and according to Google, Eidos Montreal has 481.

So yeah, their team is shockingly small for a AAA studio.

Eidos montreal is considered small in the AAA space. Ubisoft montreal has 4000 employees and also collaborated with 15 different development companies to make the latest assassin's creed. And they still don't put out games near as often as gamefreak does.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 9, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Lmao if gamefreak decrees competitive battles are now switch.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Natures and EVs do what IVs are designed to do but better.

I think IVs being for making it so pokemon have some individual variability in casual play isn't needed. EVs already accomplish that. My level 100 pikachu is faster than yours for some unknown reason (because casual pokemon have effectively random EVs).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I thought Ash became 11 a few years ago.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Vandar posted:

Jynx wasn't meant to be a Mr. Mime counterpart, she was a counterpart to Electabuzz and Magmar, but whoops the whole blackface controversy stopped her from getting a Gen IV evo like they did.

I was going to say "if jynx is meant to go with magmar and electabuzz, why isn't she found in seafoam island" but she is, just only in Japanese blue. That's still weird.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zuzie posted:

At this point, I think the only "permanent" modifications to a Pokemon that'll stay when a Pokemon is transferred from game to game are going to be just stat related stuff such as Bottle Caps, Mints and possibly EV spreads, and these can all be modified in future games.

Granted though, I think there will also be games like LGPE, Legends and Go which have wildly different stat allocation systems, but I don't believe they'll have active metagames.

Don't take away my ribbons.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh god is All Ribbons still a thing that some insane people do, how many ribbons did Sw/Sh add

Just 4. But SwSh also added titles for each ribbon, so now you can show off to your opponent that your pokemon won mount battle in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...okay that's actually excellent, I wouldn't have expected them to go all the way back

They made a title for every ribbon. Even the ones that were never given out.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DACK FAYDEN posted:

holy poo poo all ribbons is dead

I absolutely trust this because this guy's been legit since back on the gamefaqs magic the gathering forums lmao

lmao holy poo poo. You can give a pokemon max ribbons, but only if you give it away to a stranger. This is amazing.

e: the cowards will probably make it not count, like the ribbon for online coop in DP (even though there are server emulators out there)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lux Animus posted:

lmao ball stickers

e: anything but Luxury ball once you can obtain them is intentional cruelty

Premier ball is better. :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The main problem with "pokemon killers" is that they don't have pokemon in them. There have been a few very nice attempts, but no kid gives a poo poo because it doesn't have pikachu or any of the other characters from the massive media franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lacrosse posted:

I read someone with the game already clipped through a cave wall and saw the entire world was being rendered. Gamefreak's gamedev team apparently doesn't know what occlusion culling is.

If you're on the other side of the occluding wall, it's not being occluded, is it? Also, occlusion culling is really more of a local thing. In an open world game, you wouldn't have distant objects loaded in the first place to be able to be culled by the renderer. And performance issues seem to be more related to data streaming than render time. Like that video posted seems to be the game going "oh poo poo I'm out of memory and I need to do the catch animation" and then whatever process that is supposed to quietly free up space for that hosed up and defaulted to unloading everything except the low detail world mesh, and then the game chugged as everything slowly loaded back in. And that sort of thing makes sense to be a problem because that's the hard part about making an open world game.