Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

I love this. Do you know who the artist is and if they've done similar drawings of other Pokémon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm not ruling out a taiko-drumming gorilla a-la Donkey Konga as Grookey's third stage.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I also had the 2 B A Master CD. The title track, Viridian City, and the weird 90s trance song always got me super pumped

I'm also one of those people who will defend Veronica Taylor's Ash, both out of nostalgia and because of the His and Her Circumstances dub

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Never heard of this guy, but based on my understanding of Spanish that's a really cute name

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

I remember enjoying Gen V well enough but looking at the list of the Gen V pokemon, there are some real duds I'd happily forgotten

:effort:

Gothitelle is in the Ubers tier on showdown because of its Shadow Tag ability. It's not on literally every team, but it's present enough that I'm always aware of it

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if being on a 'main' console for once will spell some significant differences for a Pokemon game. They've had console spinoffs before (Pokemon XD and all) but not mainline entries. Might be on a bigger scale than previous Pokemon games.

We're talking about Gamefreak.

It's more likely that they'll reintroduce HMs

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Currently reading through the BogLeech posts.

I love that as of Gen 3 he hadn't written Gen 7 yet since he predicted or asked for several gen 7 designs. I hope he felt affirmed :)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

Raichu sucked until Alolan form

Late to this, but Wolfe Glick won worlds with a Raichu in his party.

Fake out, encore, electric move redirects... Raichu is cool and good

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Wasn’t it Pachirisu?

Seijun Park won with a Pachi in 2014. Probably the most dramatic moment in VGC history.

Wolfy used an Assault Vest Raichu in 2016

It was a pretty badass strategy. He used Volt Switch and an eject button Hitmontop to repeatedly abuse fake out

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

There's an episode of the anime where the pokemon are separated from their trainers and it's shown with subtitles that they can all communicate as fluently and eloquently as Meowth does. Their constant name-saying is more like what Groot does; we just don't get it.
I like that ep because at some point I think Meowth tries to start a fight and the others are like, hey, *we* don't fight. *They* fight.
...and Bulbasaur jumps right to WELL WE HAVE BEEN ABANDONED THAT'S PEOPLE FOR YA

This was the very first episode of the anime I ever saw, before I even had played the games. I just assumed every episode was exactly like this and had subs for what the Pokémon were saying.

It also started my lifelong love of Bulbasaur. He's my #1 to this day.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Regarding Japanese names, there's a really good YouTube mini series that just finished up explaining each name and its wordplay (or lack of). They even have a native Japanese speaker pronounce each one!

Pokémon Japanese Names Explained

They're also in the process of remastering the English name videos.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

a colonial organism in the shape of a giant robot...
You're gonna have to help me with this one

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm still not sold on just how furry the furry Pokémon look in Detective Pikachu

I'm not sure what I really wanted, but Jiggly/Sneasel/Pikachu/Snubbull designs all look slightly too long-haired for me.

Movie still looks amazing, I just always imagined short haired pelts on all of them.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

See Minccino and Cinccino are the concept done right to me. They have a genuinely nifty theme (fashionata wearing their own fur) and a very good ability with the moves to take advantage of it. If pikaclones were more like them and the Marill line I'd probably be more into them. My only wish is that their shiny was closer to the blue gray of the actual animal's fur.

You can't convince me that Marrill isn't gen 2's pikaclone.

Also Pidgey is the Pidgey of gen 2, not Hoothoot.

I will die on that hill

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

how is marril a pikaclone, is any pokemon clearly made to be cute a pokeclone now

Round, two-stage mouse with small, black eyes, similar faces and a crooked tail?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there any trick to catching the Gen 1 legendary birb in X or am I really stuck roaming Kalos forever praying the annoying thing doesn't decide to change routes across the country before I can reach its location?

If you're still having trouble with this, yeah there's a trick.

Head to the first town (the one with the bug gym - sorry, I forgot its name) and hop on your bike. The upper exit of the town is a gate that is conveniently next to several patches of grass and has no load screen to exit/enter. Put a Pokémon below the birb's level (50 iirc) but above the wild Pokémon of the area's level and use a repel. Bike around in the grass for a bit, cycle down, reset the birb's location, cycle up, repeat.

Carry lots of repels. Don't even bother checking the location honestly. Just repeat this process until you get the encounter. I did it three times, one for each birb, and it never takes more than about 20 minutes.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

RatHat posted:

Oh my god the Food Court Triple Battles are such horseshit.

- A Triple intimidate team with more tanky Pokemon. Hope you don't rely on physical attackers!

They also spam snarl iirc. Yeah, it's bullshit

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I like the presentation of Pokémon battles in Detective Pikachu.

Rather than trainers constantly yelling out commands, it's shown as much more dog-fighty, with the Pokémon apparently using their training to hold their own in the ring.

I'm a little annoyed that all of the Pokémon in the movie appear in the various trailers and promos. It becomes obvious about 30 minutes in that they've already used up all their models and just reuse them in background shots. Apparently everyone in Ryme City only have Sneasel, Arcanine, or Audino.

There's no attention paid to type advantages but that's probably a good thing.

Cute little movie! I really like it

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Robot Style posted:

There's actually some behind-the-scenes reasons for the specific cases you're mentioning.
We were very careful to make sure than any given shot or sequence had a good variety of Pokemon specifically to prevent repitition, but some of the worldbuilding we were doing required specific pairings.
Throughout the film, police are paired exclusively with Arcanine/Growlithe, and there were a lot of police at the parade at the end, so they are more common than they might be otherwise.
The Sneasels are also there because of the parade. Each pokemon balloon was held by a group of about 20 people, each dressed to resemble the balloon they were holding, and a pokemon to match. Most of the action with Lucy during the parade happens near the group of Lugia balloon holders, who were all given Sneasels as the closest color match to their costumes of the pokemon we had built.
Audino is actually a specific character - it's the pokemon partner of the reporter Lucy interacts with dyring the parade, but because it keeps popping up in the background of shots where you're already aware of repitition, it might seem more numerous than it actually is.

My disappointment was incredibly minor btw. Y'all did an amazing job. Thanks for the extra info! I didn't think about the Growlithe thing but it makes complete sense.

I don't know if you worked on Bulbasaur, but its scene made me tear up. I was so happy to see my favorite Pokémon be so wonderful and helpful on screen.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Adjustable camera gently caress yeah

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
The "ampere" part of Yamper's name is immediately apparent to me, but where does the Y come from? Yap?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Jesus, the UI looks :effort:

And the idle animations are so lifeless. Just watched Yamper sit motionless with his mouth hanging open for several minutes

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

:havlat: Who is ready for good news? :havlat:

If you participated in the May Online competition, your shiny Tapu Fini is available as your participation trophy!

Presumably just in time to be kept in gen 7 for all of perpetuity

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 14, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

What about Stantler. The only reason I remember it is that it's the most forgettable.

I play the randbats ladder on showdown and Stantler pops up every now and then.

It's cool that such a forgettable Pokémon has one of the best competitive abilities in the game

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Pokemon I think could disappear with the fewest complaints: Mantyke, Delibird, Spinda, the Starly line, Stantler, Volbeat, Illumise, Castform, Heatmor, Unown, Spoink and Grumpig, Solosis line, Elgyem line, and at least a half dozen Legendaries like the Lake trio and most of Gen 5's legends other than its cover Legends

I agree with some of these, but Staraptor is the best regional bird next to Talonflame. Banded Reckless double edge destroys even Pokémon that resist it

Also, again, intimidate.

Which makes me remember, is THIS the generation we get a SpAtk intimidate ability??

I think it's more likely at this point that Gamefreak will just abandon abilities altogether

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

this is off topic, but, you know, I really wish there was an online poke battle place that wasn't smogon

don't get me wrong, I'm sure the community itself is okay?

but
the battle system moves too fast for me to think, and I feel like a jackass if I take more than a few seconds to pick my next move; and everyone on there's way too fuckin' good for my team composition to stand a chance, which is just me going "hmmm, these two pokemon might work well together?" especially considering I got too used to SM's QoL change of listing what attacks are super effective, and that's derided as "too casul" among most hardcore players.

Sounds like you need to get good

I mean, not in a mean way or anything. You just need to be lovely at it long enough before you start understanding the way each meta works. You'll get there.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to break out of the 1100-1200 range on the ladder. My current standing is around 1400-1600 depending on the meta, which still isn't great, but it's better!

And don't worry about taking your time each turn. Even if they turn the battle timer on you'll have more than enough time to decide.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 16, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Not sure what this means but I'm just going the story right now

They're referring to a competitive doubles metagame, in which Shedinja has a super niche spot.

Otherwise yeah it's only useful if you can accurately read if its opposing Pokémon has a move to hit it

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

it sucks that I probably won't be able to bring my beautiful shiny Kartana or any of the Tapus to swish :(
Whether or not the fanbase embraces this shorthand, I'm going to start using it because it's easy to type out on a phone and sounds like the console

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Goons defending their intense emotional response to something so utterly inconsequential is really loving Goony

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm gonna need more hi-res images of new Pokémon please

Also name puns:

Alcremie - Cream/Alchemy
Rolycoly - Coal/Roly Poly
Duraludon - Durable/-don (lizard)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Thank you. I wasn't quite sure about that one.

Nice to have a dragon/steel type for the lower tiers now.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Some-Stuff, the fansubber group, ran a poll when they started subbing sun and moon about japanese vs localized names. Sadly, the people chose the former.

E: they ugly but idk how to feel about pokemon getting preorder dlc costumes
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1148547623839776769?s=19

Is prison jumpsuit what they were going for? Because that's what I see.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Just wait until we hear him speak.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

idk how Sweet Veil is as an Ability in competitive, but without looking at stats and movesets, who knows

Now I want to see if a decently coveraged Food themed team is possible.

In metas with a sleep clause, Sweet Veil is pretty useless

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

They're chasing the casual handheld market that made the DS sell masses but were put off by the higher switch price.
Hey! That's me!

I only want to buy one for SwSh and BotW. I don't have a tv so handheld only is perfect!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm really happy the game is so easy. Otherwise I'd get steamrolled by fighting types having both Zigzagoon and Wooloo on my team

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Whether or not the fish that the bird has in its mouth is a Pokémon or not is kind of interesting to me.

Has any other non-pokemon creature appeared in official artwork or in game before?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

less laughter posted:

Polteageist is a reject from Yo-Kai Watch

Gotta agree with this take. It, the bird, and Impidimp all look more in line with that franchise than with Pokémon.

I don't have any judgement behind that, but they definitely have a different aesthetic to them. I dunno if it's the faces or what

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
What kind of route 1 bird will there be, or do y'all think Corviknight (and maybe its possible first stage?) will fill that role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
People who pronounce it ra-TAT-uh can go join the "jif" losers in word jail for being so bad at words