Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Man, Misty is such a bitch to poor little Caterpie. This a good show though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh man you have so many good episodes ahead of you.

Caterpie evolved into Metapod through the power of victory and friendship!

Edit: wow! Bug types have a hardon for Misty! Weedil or whatever his name is was just dry humping her leg!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 28, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Am I correct in assuming you're new to pokemon my friend?

When the first season came on TV, I was a senior in high school and clearly “too old” to watch a kids cartoon. Sigh, I regret that. This show is fun! I only just got into Pokémon with Gen 6.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Nice! Y'all want a bunch of free shinies/legendaries? Because I'm seriously trying to unload a bunch of these guys.

I'd love anything!

Granted I hardly have anything worth trading and I've only bred two poopy mons back in Y.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 28, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Oh no that's perfectly fine! I put a list of mons with my contact information on page 2. Take your pick! :3

Can I get one Marshadow and a Shiny Arceus? That'd be dope!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Sure! Send me over your Friend code and I'll add you!

Nick

3454-1661-5925

Edit: And i've got you added already. Thanks a bunch!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

No problem! I'm logging online now send me over a call!

edit: what's your in game name?

Got em! Thank you so much!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m lookin forward to making a six man party based on the members of Iron Maiden and conquering the land with the power of rock!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm not sure why there's concern about Gen 8 linearity? I've been playing only since Gen 6, so I've played a bit of Yellow and Silver on the VS, and Y, AS and UM, and all the games are pretty much walk from point A to B to trigger the next cutscene, in the meantime there's a bit of "openness" here and there to go gently caress around in tall grass. This new map looks pretty much the same to me? Also, it looks like the elevation continually rises as you head north, which I think is really cool. With the Switch's graphics, you can hopefully look south at any point and see where you came from stretching off in the distance, giving a good sense of journey. I think that'll be fun.

To be fair, I haven't played any of Gens 4 and 5, so maybe there's some crazy open world shenanigans there I haven't seen and i'm talking out my rear end. I do hope to/plan to play those some day. At Least BW/BW2/Platinum.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think I read this earlier in the thread but just to confirm: Totem Pokémon are not bank compatible, correct? So...ultimately they're kinda a useless afterthought?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I've got the first three Samson Oaks Totem gimmes. I guess I can check myself, but are those bankable? I'm trying to remember what I even got now. I know one was bubblespider. I forget the rest.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The villain team should be tracksuited Eastern European guys who illegally traffic stolen Pokemon.

I'm going to name my player "The Machine" in honor of this suggestion.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While I like both styles, I do prefer the Gen 8. It keeps with the series "sprite based/cartoon" look while Let's Go's looks like the game it's a spin on, which is Pokémon Go. Both version are pretty faithful to the source.

I'm also surprised by how faithful the movie Pokémon look. These are characters and creatures that until now have ONLY lived as cartoons and sprites and what not, and yet I don't have any complaint with how they look in the movie. They look real without having been painted with a "grim dark" paint brush or some dumb poo poo. They're still recognizable and iconic. The only one I'm iffy about is Charizard because he has so much more detail in his scales that he actually resembles a scary dragon. In the games/anime he just looks like an orange chubster.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This needs more looks. poo poo is hilarious. While we’re at it, can we get a National Lampoon’s “I can’t get left” Pokémon? Maybe it’s just a sad friend face that resembles Chevy Chase and rotates right constantly?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ometeotl posted:

I am going to be really mad if my enormous water spider friend and enormous ghost bone-twirling friend are stuck in Ultra Moon forever.

I'm sad too, because I wish my Pikachu with his hip rear end jacket from ORAS could be imported. :( Hipachu

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

1st place goes to "Toto by Africa" because that song is amazing. Also a big fan of "this is fine."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ziddar posted:

Her. Cosplay Pikachu is always female. And I'm sure you meant Dr. Pikachu PhD :colbert:.

That is TOTES ADORBS!!!! I used the black leather jacket looking thing with some kind of red trim. I called her "Pikachu," because i'm too lazy to name Pokémon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ziddar posted:

It is a shame that she'll never get to flaunt her stuff in games beyond. The outfits are so good. :(

Bottom right, that's my Pikachu's look. She was a star!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How hard is Mimikyu to catch? Since false swipe doesn’t even effect him, I’m spinning my wheels murdering him everyone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having literally just started watching the show last week at almost 40 years old, I’m not sure I see what the hate is about? I have no nostalgia for it since I never previously watched it, but it’s basically every Saturday morning cartoon I saw as a kid. I had poo poo like thunder cats, silverhawks, MASK, the ghostbusters cartoon and my favorite: Voltron. This show back in the 80s would’ve fit right in with that stuff as a fun kids show and adventure, plus the bonus that it ties into the games. I don’t see any problems with it and while the characters, especially Ash so far, are way loving over the top, that’s par for the course for a Saturday morning cartoon. I said this before, but I really wish I hadn’t skipped out on the show when it first came on. Had I given it a chance I’d probably have loved it then too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TaurusOxford posted:

I think that's the issue here. You grew up in the 80's where cartoons didn't even try to hide the fact that they were glorified toy commercials, so a 4kids dub would fit right in. I think a lot of us grew up in the 90's with shows like Reboot, Beast Wars, and Batman the Animated Series, where the shows were far less "hey buy these toys" and more "hey check out this engaging story and great characters."

I suppose that’s possible. When I grew up cartoons were just silly time wasters that allowed their parent to keep ignoring them so they could snort their lines. The 90s is when I noticed cartoons taking a more “adult” turn. Maybe late 80s. Adult oriented cartoons were more “fringe” poo poo until stuff like the Simpson’s started airing in the late 80s/early 90s. Then along comes poo poo like Beavis/Butthead, ren and stimpy as well as even the Saturday morning variety taking a more “serious” turn with poo poo like Batman the animated series. Funny fact: I never watched the animated series Batman either. But I saw the 89 film in theaters and loving loved it. I started watching the BAS earlier this year and I love that too. I missed out on a lot of poo poo, but now I have the advantage of coming back to it with fresh eyes and zero nostalgia.

So yea, from that angle, it’s hard for me to criticize the Pokémon cartoon because it reminds me of being 5 years old.

I’ve also said this fairly recently in the Pokémon thread: I totally missed out. I was just old enough to not give a poo poo about the show, card game, or video games when they were the hot new poo poo. I’d babysit my 7-8 year old cousins and they’d be sat in front of Pokémon and Spongebob for hours, along with their Gameboys if their parents were rich. I still I wished I’d been in on it then too, especially Red and Blue. Then at least I’d know what most of you are talking about instead of just breeding Pokémon because they look like kitty cats.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite toy franchises as a kid was Robocop. And, if you’ve seen the original Robocop, you’d know that poo poo was never supposed to have kids watching it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Attention!! Just received another wonder trade shiny! if anyone would like a shiny Xurkitree another has just become available!

How do you constantly get so much stuff?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jedi425 posted:

There was actually a safe for kids Robocop TV show that was kinda amazing because of the lengths they had to go to in order for Robocop to solve cop problems without actually shooting anyone with his gun.

It also featured this guy:

https://youtu.be/diZjO04AT9w

Commander Cash would have easily fit in the original movie as part of the whole ridiculous parody of capitalism.

I do remember that show. Never really watched it though. I saw Robocop 2 in theaters when I was 10 and parts of that movie frightened the poo poo out of me.

Pokémon breeding: how “fast” can someone breed? When I tried in Y, I’d wait for two mons to bang each other, then steal the egg and do laps on my bike with it until it hatched. That poo poo was tedious, but people breed by the thousands. How?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

indigi posted:

with an oval charm, a Pokémon with magma armor, and Tauros, you can crank through like 45+ an hour

I can’t begin to piece together what any of that poo poo means aside from Taurus. Don’t worry pokefriends, I’ll get there!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Once you’ve bred that much, is the idea to keep line breeding Pokémon to get good trait and moves? Is there any kind of eugenics?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just got a Destiny Knot the other day and had no idea it was for breeding. Most items don’t tell you much about how to use them huh?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Males pass down their poke balls now.

Giggity!

Also: can you change what ball your mon is in? Why would you do that, and how?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I ask because I read about getting a Pokémon in this or that ball; while I just catch everything in the least expensive ball possible and work my way up as needed.

Also, do shops ever carry specialty balls like dusk, dive, or net?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Egg moves... another term I hear a lot. And read a lot. What’s egg moves?

(I also picture it being sang by Bob Seger.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Oh Lord thank you LOL. Welp you're going think I'm insane but the fact I actually went through with this probably means I already am. So the worst thing I've ever had to breed in my life was essentially the jewel of my collection. A single Budew. Now you might ask yourself "What makes this Budew so much more valuable than all these shiny Arceus' and Deoxys' you're giving away Flops?". It's a timid, hidden ability budew with extrasensory and hidden power fire in a moon ball with the highest possible IVs in every category save attack.

Breeding this took four weeks and a significant chunk of my sanity. I bred a "shiny" before I got the pokemon I wanted. To the uninitiated Budew are notoriously hard to breed because they require the parent to hold the rose incense. Essentially forcing you to give up one of the most vital breeding tools: the everstone. Their nature becomes completely randomized and getting it right becomes a gamble. In addition to that hidden abilities are also randomized along with IV's. And in order to get extrasensory on the pokemon it HAD to be a Budew because the move will not pass down to Roselia. So....through a lot of trial and error I managed to get two parents, a female Roselia with her hidden ability, the right IV's for hidden power fire and extrasensory but a poo poo nature with a bulbasaur with the same exact IV's needed for hidden power fire holding the destiny knot. Because of the sheer amount of randomization involved in the breeding process I had thousands of near misses trying to get the right combination for the baby. I got almost all my shinies from the sheer amount of wonder trading I did trying to breed this perfect budew that just seemed like it wasn't happening. Why did I do this nitpicking bullshit you ask? Because Roserade is one of my favorite pokemon and I wanted to make one as competitively viable as possible. Also I'm loving nuts. So one beautiful BEAUTIFUL DAY I finally did it. i finally got a timid one with all the business correctly in order and named him Arsene. I may or may not of wept. It then occurred to me I might have a problem before I promptly shook off this revelation to start breeding a Vespiquen.

The END

Did you pick Arsene because it’s from Persona/Shin Megami Tensei? Also, fantastic story! I’d love to know how many hours you have in Pokémon!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just moved into my new house. It’s big and empty and I have no internet. Thankfully I can stay up with the dog and play Pokémon all night because I have the week off of work. Thank you for reading. That is my story!

Also fun fact: I’m a grown rear end man with a giant squirtel plushy on my desk at work.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm a grown rear end woman with a whole shelf full of Pokemon dolls.

I stand by my life choices :colbert:

Oh yes, I have no desire to do anything otherwise. People come by my desk and say “hello good sir! You certainly have a fine taste in Pokémon! Please have a Krispy Kreme donut!” Then I slam that poo poo down, take a “lunch break” and go sit in my car in the parking garage and catch mons.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I guess I’m on the home stretch of Ultra Moon. I just clowned on blondy bighair’s team with my level 62 Decidueye. Never even had to heal or swap out.

Speaking of being an amazing human both in real life and in Pokémon games, who should I use the master ball on in Ultra Moon? I think Necrozma is my next big fight, should I use it then? Or hold out for bigger prey? I bought like 48 ultra balls, maybe they’ll work instead?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Infinitum posted:

Stephen King

Maybe it’s just me, but I lol’d hard at this!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How can a man like me tell if his little Pocket Monsters have bad EVs?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Infinitum posted:

I caught a Charjabug, because he looks like a bus, and named him Vengabug

I'm not very good at the meta game either. I just try and have fun with my mons

I can’t believe a “Yennefer of Vengabug” Pokémon never occurred to me!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yay my internet is back on! I can check back into the festival funhouse and see what’s what!

Edit: hOly balls Garbador is gross looking!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 5, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aerofallosov posted:

Would liepard or luvdisc actually be useful in a regular run through OS/AR or Ultra Sun/Moon if I go for one?

I love me some Liepards! It was the first and only mon I decided to try breeding, so I made a few in Y. Shame I can’t bring eggs over from game to game. I just logged into Y for the first time recently and had an egg waiting for me in the nursery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I know snails aren’t “bugs,” but I adore Magcargo. If you pet his shell he burns your hand and he has a cute dopey smile. He’s also covering my fire and ground attacks while BusBug covers electricity, ground, and bug attacks. BusBug is also adorable.