Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel lovely that i'm not hyped.

I didn't want this to be BotW or anything like that. But. Just a little closer to Dragon Quest or Xenoblade in terms of overworld, and like a camera you can control, keep some stuff from Let's Go like the pokemon hanging in the overworld or following you.

New region and new 'mons will probably be enough for me to play once at least. Though i'm gonna be eyeing SMTV harder whenever ATLUS decides to show something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Are any of the anime seasons better than x/y? I've only watched those and the first season

SM is the best the anime's ever been.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Bleck posted:

you mean exactly the same as every other jrpg except it takes five times as long to loving get anywhere

Yeah, exploring is fun

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, naw. I like the spirit of this; how the SM anime and all the movies in this gen have wildly different art style and approaches. This one just looks kinda ugly with the human characters, the lighting and shaders just aren't stylized enough; makes it look like a middle point between the new Link's Awakening (good) and Jump Force (bad). And it being mostly (entirely?) a remake of the first movie is also lame.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If they wanted to do CG so bad, they should've just gone with Iwane's desire of a mecha pokemon thing

https://twitter.com/animator1965/status/1100177533838839808

https://twitter.com/animator1965/status/1091243314240643072

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was complaining before that the new region looks very linear, but looking at it more, it really, really looks closer to Sinnoh than anything else. Lots of big important-looking areas that you'd need to backtrack to and some lateral movement needed in many spots like the upper area with the 3 big cities and 3 smaller-but-still-big areas. A big-rear end field in the lower middle that leads to at least two entrances to big cities. Lots of cave tunnels. And heck, the trailer might be playing tricks with the wishywashy, but if it's not and that 'mon is below level 20 in that ice area, then we're probably gonna get pretty high up north before doing a dramatic backtrack. And a seemingly unconnected train track on the left has me thinking you'll go all the way to the steampunk city first and then all the way back to your house to go to the creepy forest next to it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Probably a tidbit in May, a lil' something in June, few early pokemon in July, a couple human characters in August, the plot of the game and its battle gimmick in September, 80% of the pokedex in October, and another 18%, most of the plot and coolshit about the post-game a couple of weeks before release.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

E2M2 posted:

Looks like Lets Go Evee is gonna be $30 if you have a local Meijer.

https://weeklyad.meijer.com/flyers/...r_run_id=420274

:stare: might go with that. Also lol 400 Xbox One X Fallout 76 bundle... and a 75 dollar meijer gift card.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm just disappointed that after all this time they didn't make an Electric/Steel form based on a moment from the Adventure manga when Rotom possessed an action figure.

Now I hope the SM anime steals from this and has Rotom possess Team Rocket's newest most gundam-est mecha.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

My favorite part of Incineroar was people of culture immediately noticing he was a heel due to the design sheet and calling out that it'd be Fire/Dark, a neat combination. Then every schmuck out there went "uhh bipedal and muscular?? that's a fighting type" unable to grasp what a heel was no matter how many times it was explained.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you're thinking of the same colour scheme I am with that yellow (specifically, with black stripes), that may cross from reference into blatant copyright infringement.

It should've been

(RIP Eddie)

Anyway, you Female Incineroar is valid
https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1103191416652660736

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I only expect starter leaks from crispy jpgs of anime production stuff.

Regular leaks from chinese people that has gone through a few rounds of international telephone game so yetis and snowmen get confused.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wish she would've started her pokemon trainer journey with the fully evolved nebby as her starter. Let's see Brock's geodude deal with that poo poo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pretty pathetic how they don't dedicate a shelf to Tranquill plushies or build an amusement park themselves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Game Freak still operates at the level of a "Double A" company (as opposed to a "Triple A" studio). They probably have about 50 or so people handling development and other jobs needed to run a small company.

This is true and something I came to terms with recently.

They'll never grow and operate on a AAA scale, because that just risks a game getting delayed, and the IP is too big to not get a new generation every 3 years on the clock.
If it was just games, I'm sure we'd be getting an RPG with camera controls and stuff. But it's not just a game; if it got delayed by 4 months for whatever reasonable situation, that'd gently caress over the anime, the anime movies, the card game, the toys, the keychains, the towels and all that crap that's planned out a year in advance minimum.

If we assume Z did exist at one point, then Z was the scare that makes them want to play it safe. It wasn't gonna make November of its intended year, so instead they ignored it and let Zygarde and Ash-Greninja show up in everything else that was coming up rather htan delay those things to match up with a delayed Z release.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pTFLxeg6tg

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I have come to the important conclusion that I do not want Gen 5 to be remade, but rather just upscaled to HD and put in bundles of White/White 2 and Black/Black2, along with the single new feature of a sound test like Smash's.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I hope we get all the physical eevees before a dragon one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, Eeveelutions are the leaks i'd trust the least because last time we had one with flesh ribbons.

Anyway, for now I'm mostly expecting anime design sheets, so if it doesn't have Ash somewhere, it's probably fake.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Alolan Raichu is a good boy and we can now forget about regular Raichu existing.

All the recent Gen V talk made me want to replay White, so I just started doing that. Man! It feels good! Battles are fast, the story's introduced super quick and neatly, a rival fought me at the end of a route without healing me first, the music when you're at red is nice, the whole monkey thing is a nicer, organic way to tell you to git gud at type match ups and reward you for exploring, and I'm just having a good time with the early game so far.

Really makes me miss the auto-run from HGSS, tho.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You know how some people don't shut up about Gen 5 being the best and poo poo?

They're right.

I'm playing White again after several years (played BW 3 times through after initial release), just got to the 5th gym's city and oof. It's good.
-Route design is really, really good. It's linear as hell, but what's nice is how wide it is. You can go straight and just get to the next area no problem, but there's a chunky amount of optional stuff literally off the beaten path. A whole desert and ruins, old railroad area overrun with grass, etc, just enough content to explore around that is optional. And exploration is handsomely rewarded in the early game. The first 3 gym leaders have hard counters in the areas around their cities. The elemental monkey, timburr/throh, and darumaku are all easy to get if you explore around before going to the gym.
-Cutscenes are brisk and feel 'natural'. You get a fight with N when you decide to go into the second gym, your friend challenge you often, there's two sequences in Nimbasa city you can tackle in any order. It feels less like the game is waiting for you to step into somewhere to start the next thing and more like when you decide to do something, the game will have some story to go along first.
-Level curve kinda owns. Not having the new EXP Share (in fact, Exp Share is optional and i didn't bother grabbing it) means you don't level everything as fast, means that levels going down after a gym is okay because whatever destroyed the last gym won't be as useful and you'll need to use the other pokemon that didn't jump levels during a gym.
-Nimbasa is a fun challenge because the first three gyms have hard counters nearby, Nimbasa doesn't. You can get the ground alligator before arriving in town, but it'll at best destroy Half the gym with lovely-ish moves (Dig is the best thing you can get at that point), and the other half is Emolga. The best counter to it is instead all the way back at the first cave you went to, like three towns back, either Drilbur with similar issues and having to wait on the dust cloud stuff, or a Roggenrola... IF you explored Castelia enough to get Eviolite, otherwise it doesn't survive Volt Switch enough. It's a strong wakeup call because the counters you can get can be dealt with by the gym, so you just gotta be good.
-The story is great. Plasma is spouting interesting stuff, and stealing pokemon. The community at large takes actual stances about this, and Gym Leaders who are respected members of the community, fight to stop Plasma's crimes... while giving thought to their BS and coming to their own conclusions to challenge Plasma. They don't just roll with it like a certain French Professor with a thing for redheads, and they don't just ignore the problem. They challenge Plasma back on all regards, but specially fight them whenever they commit violence. Meanwhile your friends are taking their opinions on that, and Bianca's is to grow and see the world and take in all these new views and opinions, while Cheren is fighting because that's what he knows, so far he is actively trying not to give thought about what's going on and what he himself is doing.

I love the detail that the town's mothers asked Juniper to give the main characters the pokedex quest simply as an excuse to get them all to explore the world and find who they want to be. The journey of pokemon is meaningless, it's just a convenient way to have kids come to age and figure out life. Cheren can't figure that out fully so he's super into catching pokemon.

I love these games, they're fun. My pokemon are super nice and i'm gonna get an icecream guy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm okay with these 60-70 pokemon long new regions if we get more and more regionals.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

We won't ever get more regional forms and it's best you all accept this now instead of being forced to accept reality later.

You're probably right, but I still hold out hope.

Arcanine, but it's one of those scotish breeds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait, what? Why?

We'll find out next week, but it's probably related to those two's history together. The game only references it a little and points out they both failed the island challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcTITXy5fsk
In Which Ryan Reynolds Canonizes The Right Way To Pronounce Arceus

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://monpoke.jp/

Monpoke is unveiled

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This is actually Shinzo Abe wanting to increase the societal pressure for people to have children, by making Pokemon now expect you to have a baby for this merch.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

Remember when Twitch streamed the Pokemon anime last August? they're in the first season of Black and White right now. :psyduck:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This conversation sucks, let's post pokemon gifs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Jessie and James, another thought as I watch the anime: the Team Rocket trio are great characters when the writers have actual ideas for them (giving them humanizing moments, having them come up with actually clever plans for capturing Pikachu that almost work, getting them involved in Lupin III-style multi-sided heist antics). But the role they play in the more formulaic episodes, where they attempt schemes almost identical to ones that have failed multiple times before in order to give the character of the day an opponent to show off against and/or pad the episode by a few minutes, is really annoying. I think it would have been better if they showed up around every other episode, instead of being in nearly every episode.

That's what Sun and Moon does. They actually spent about 10 episodes without even showing up, and when they did last week, they weren't doing any schemes but were rather one of the victims of the Ultra Beast and their mom, Bewear, saved the day as previously posted.

Hell, I think at this point in SM, less than half of their evil plots involve stealing a pokemon. There's a much better ratio of them legitimately earning stuff like their Z-Crystals.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can't speak for Staraptor, but Swellow did get some time, yeah. Including the infamous time Pikachu gave him a Thunder Armor so they could beat the lunatone/solrock gym. Kalos also gave Ash's bird time if only because half his team was birds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

It had two. Not sure what you think Greninja, Noivern, and Goodra are.

Noivern is a bird.

e: poo poo. well this is the worst time to find out that bats are mammals.
e2: wait, but it still lays egg since pokemon. is it a bird? are pokedogs birds??

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

lightrook posted:

Okay, to make things even weirder, Noivern and the other bats (Zubat, Swoobat, etc.) are exclusively in the Flying egg group with other bird Pokemon, but NOT the Field egg group that contains most mammals. So according to Game Freak, I guess you're technically sorta right?

Hell yeah the best kind of right

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We playing pokemon while Golisopod is playing Sekiro

https://twitter.com/sakagami1989pi1/status/1112290308098711553?s=19

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/nyautaro/status/1112287651606851584?s=19

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Team Rocket's is bad since they're basically screaming the lyrics to their motto, whereas Skull actually had some skill with... what is that, Enka?

I give James a pass since his performance shares energy with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEqDjpIIJc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, same. You're already translating the thing to English, thus acknowledging that your audience doesn't speak Japanese. Why leave the names in Japanese? It sticks out and it's lazy and also dumb.

Some-Stuff ran a poll for it when they started subbing SM and the terrible pokemon anime fanbase wanted japanese names.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pentaro posted:

How do you decide which version to pick? Do you check the exclusive monsters first, or decide based on what your IRL acquaintances will get?

I usually just pick the cold-colored version. I only broke that streak with Y because Hellbird won my heart.

Usually a combination of box legendary and exclusives, whichever has teh coolest factor in those categories. However, outside of these forums I usually have a moon themed username, so I had to get Moon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ash is going to win the Alolan League

Only because his dad, who built the whole drat stadium for Ash, will job and eat the pin for Ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lana lives in the coast, Kyogre has room to chill.