Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I guess the 3DS still got a new Pokemon after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh zacian and zamazenta

cyan and magenta

I get it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Completely possible if that guy did see the trailer early but made the rest of it up.

FFS it's a 4chan leak. It should be taken with a 10-pound bag of salt at minimum.

I mean I would be skeptical if there wasn't also a similar 4chan leak that had 100% accurate details on Let's Go like six months out from announcement

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
impidimp is my son

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think Nintendo stock prices are plummeting because of something only like a percentage of the Pokemon fanbase cares about

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just tell us it'll be in a post-launch patch, if you can put a stage builder in Smash you can get my goddamn Ribombee in a Pokemon game.

I don't care that much about this alleged camping thing, just let me Pollen Puff an Eldegoss and I will fling $60 at you.

They found a way to kill the hype for the new entries of one of their flagship franchises during The Big Hype Event For Hype so, uh, probably!

I think "kill the hype" is a wee bit overly dramatic

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like it's pretty obviously a case of Game Freak going "well we only have so much time and people let's look at what we have to cut" and deciding that the resources saved on not having to implement and balance 600 or whatever Pokemon was worth whatever flak they were going to get from a portion of the fanbase.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't understand why people keep seeing "resource limitation" and thinking "but they have so much money" like that's the only possible stumbling block to doing whatever you want in game dev

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They have the money to increase their studio's size and let Pokemon, the multimedia juggernaut born from a videogame, take a longer development cycle.
Instead it's GameFreak's B-Team obligation to make a new entry each year, and have chosen to continue to pretend patching is not a real thing outside of game-breaking bugs.

"Increase the studio's size" is also not a magic bullet to game dev problems. First, you have to actually have enough qualified people to hire when you're trying to staff up, and then you need to make sure you either have or can hire competent managers for those teams because nothing will kill a development process faster than poor communication and huge spread-out groups of people who have no idea what anyone else is doing. Then you're stuck with the third resource beyond money and people - time. Games choke to death on these problems all the time - there's an article on Kotaku about Star Wars 1313 slowly dying for five years because of a situation exactly like that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That is a fair point, it would not magically fix things and indeed it would be a move that would take a lot of time and resources.

It simply feels like GF has chosen very wrong moves with their organization when their flagship titles are publicly for their secondary team, and the move to needing to expand to an HD console was known internally for enough years to carefully prepare for it.

I don't disagree with this position, but I can also see where Game Freak is coming from on this with the idea that a Pokemon game should be about catching new Pokemon first and foremost, which I have to imagine is the line of thinking that lead to this.

I guess the main thing is we really don't know exactly why Sword and Shield's development came to the point where this decision had to be made, but I doubt the decision was made lightly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf I don't think anyone has said "lazy" because it's 2019 and hopefully we're all cognizant of the constant grinding overworking shithell game developers live in

it's mainly just been "dumb" which is much more fair even if I don't agree

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mandatory lesbian posted:

the only reason they adhere to a strict release schedule is the need to make as a much money as possible to the detriment of the customer's desires. obviously, we must end capitalism to free the pokemon

Finally something we can all agree on

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like I'm the only person not losing their absolute poo poo about this. I mean, it's not ideal and I understand why people aren't pleased, but am I just the only one who doesn't transfer Pokemon? I like making new friends :shobon:

No, me neither, but I initially came into this conversation with a "Well this doesn't effect me so who cares" mentality and have been trying to dial that back.

I think there are a lot of people who won't mind this or even care that it's a thing but it's the most hardcore who are going to notice and they're the people most likely to talk about it to begin with.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Farecoal posted:

Finished X, including the Looker side quest in the post-game, which turned out to be my favorite part. Overall not bad, but Black 2 is still my favorite of the games so far.

Black/White 2 were also probably my favorite Pokemon until Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon

I just love Alola so much it's such a good region

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the important thing is that this has given us the five minute pokemon modeling meme

https://twitter.com/deb_lal_/status/1139979096073658370

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If loving Voltorb is in the Galar dex I'm unironically going to be very upset

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't find any sources that imply the 3DS models were used for the Pokken models.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
watched detective pikachu and that was...okay! It was very okay. I'm glad I watched it. I probably would not watch it again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the affleck leak said it was pure fighting which was probably a bizarre slip up for pure fire because at this point basically everyone thinks of fire/fighting at the same time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Avalerion posted:

The rival should be a loving monster tho.

Why?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
impidimp continues to be the best

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Too much horsing around in this thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Please stop being weird about Charizard

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

indigi posted:

this is one of the more pathetic things I've read

Consider the source.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was expecting something extremely lanky the second the leak said "spy chameleon"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was wondering if we were going to get a troll.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's me. I like Cinderace.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shneak posted:

They're the campfire foxes! :3:

Oh vul

that makes sense

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Procrastine posted:

Galarian Darumaka

oh my GOD

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Now that the leaker has been liquidated by a Nintendo cleaner crew we can get back to the real important work: disproportionally hostile arguments over extremely minor bullshit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brother Entropy posted:

the most important question no one is asking: which galar pokemon will end up as jessie and james' new buddies

Impidimp 100%

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Joestar posted:

mr. knifecrime

*surviving edged weapons voice* Many Pokemon live on the edge of knife culture.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Story beats have been spoiled, not many actual impressions about the game so far.

It's funny how after years of people demanding an "adult" Pokemon game we have one that deals with climate change, a looming energy crisis, and how small towns are dying out once their usefulness has dried up but because there's no blood or cuss words those people aren't going to give a poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Charizard is several orders of magnitudes more popular than any other starter Pokemon except possibly Greninja.

The idea that it's some exclusively some weird favoritism on Game Freak's fault baffles me. Popular things will continue to get pushed. That's how it works.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flopsy posted:

Chocolate is loving delicious. It doesn't mean I want it in every single meal at all times, I don't care how they prepare it.

Which is fair, but you're vastly outnumbered by the amount of people who very much want to slather everything they eat in chocolate.

This analogy may be falling apart at the seems.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lezard_valeth posted:

Charizard's popularity is also in part to it's overexposure. In the anime he was the Pokemon with the most episodes centered around him, and had the most character development, even more so than Pikachu. He had the bad boy personality that anime fans tend to gravitate to, and personality is really important as proven by Incineroar who was universally hated upon it's design being leaked but won back the crowd once his dex entry was revealed and people saw him in action in the anime and Smash. Charizard had a big fight in Mewtwo Strikes back and a big role in the Entei movie. And unless I'm misremembering he was the last of Ash's original team to be "released".

Had Ash kept his Charmander and evolved his Venusaur maybe he would be the most popular one, as it would be in a fair and perfect world.

I think you have it backwards. Charizard was all over the anime because he was already popular before then. The games and card game had already been out for a significant chunk of time in Japan (about a year for the games and six months for the TCG) before the anime ever started, and it was popular from the jump because it's a loving dragon with a fire tail. It was never not going to be popular.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Geostomp posted:

It’s a something of a chicken-egg scenario: something gets exposed because it has some popularity originally and gets more popular because it gets exposure. The result is a feedback loop where something that starts popular just keeps getting shoved to the forefront forever.

Never forget how the initial mascot push was going to be Clefairy and that never got off the ground.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's going to be hilarious when the games still sell fine and the youtube outrage factory is going to switch their narrative to whatever the video game equivalent of "Disney bought out theaters for Captain Marvel to artificially inflates the sales" is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Most video game AI is The Way It Is because making super reactive "smart" AI is super expensive and time consuming compared to what you get out of it, which is a very small portion of the playerbase pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flopsy posted:

Is this loving thing going to be a subscription service on top of the 20 bucks you pay for nintendo online services? Because if so holy gently caress. Also who here is motivated to try and catch gigantomax pokemon knowing full loving well they're going to drop the idea next Gen making them fundamentally no different from any other pokemon.

Me because I'd like to use the gigantomax pokemon in the game where you can make giant pokemon happen

I don't care if it gets dropped or not.