Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
The best followup the the mix and match fossils would be comically skin shrink-wrapped fossils. The more abominations the better

IronicDongz posted:

late but parasect being a hosed up grim mushroom zombie is exactly why it rules

It's true. They should make more pokes based on extremely hosed up parasites, like that bug that becomes a fish's tongue, or that worm that gives snails crazy eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

I started in Gen1, but my favorite was gen 4 (gen 5 is a close second). The "level curve" problems never bothered me, getting blown out by a stronger opponent kicks rear end. I wish it happened more often, or at least that there was an option you could enable to make it happen. That is, without jumping through weird hoops or using self-imposed rules.

MorningMoon posted:

Gen 5 is the best gen but it also has the worst starters. I've played through BW1 four times and the correct way is to ditch your starter ASAP.

It's a shame. Every gen 4 starter is a pokemon I would catch and use if it was found in the wild, but I don't think I've used any gen 5 starter past the first half of the gyms. I don't know if gen 5 would overtake gen 4 as my favorite if it's starters were on the same level, but it'd definitely be a lot closer.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

I wonder if gf is ever going to realize that leaks are basically inevitable, and that it's better to release things like this a bit earlier, on their own terms. At the very least the the new typhlosion and the ursaring evo could have been given a much more appealing first impression.

Or maybe the fact that the audience for these games is hypercasual means that it doesn't really matter at all?

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Can confirm, sadboi rules with his flames on:

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Also, new bear still looks stupid, but slightly better in motion.

Nice. Good enough that I'm pretty sure they'll grow on me.

Blaziken386 posted:

play Touhoumon Purple

What's the deal with these?

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

its pokemon, but with touhou characters instead of pokemon

basically think of it as Emerald, but with a slightly modified type chart, Phys/Spec split implemented, and a more challenging (but not stupidly hard) difficulty curve

there's a bunch of touhoumon games of varying quality but purple is one of the better ones that's easier to understand

TPDP is also somewhat more of a pain in the rear end to install (especially if your system isn't set to japanese), and is tailored to people who already like touhou, whereas Purple can be played on anything that can run GBA games and requires no knowledge beyond "oh yeah, I think I've seen Bad Apple at some point"

Neat. I haven't actually played a pokemon game a while so I'll probably try these older style ones before getting into this new one :cheers:

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Khanstant posted:

how so, real question

edit: how are those good menu-based combats, not how is pokemon's bad

Kinda hard to explain. Let's say that a "good turn" in a turn based game is one where you evaluate the current situation, consider your options, and come up with a solution that will resolve your current problems while putting you on the path to execute your long-term strategy. And a "bad turn" is one where you pick the most obvious choice without thinking and mash through all the text. Storyline pokemon has a much higher percentage of bad turns than both of those other series, where you can make a some bad choices and in the course of single turn the battle can snowball into a loss. I don't think pokemon's battle system is like, inherently bad. Multiplayer pokemon has a really high concentration of good turns. Storyline is just a boring sleepwalk for actual children, with no real options to improve it without intentionally handicapping yourself to an absurd degree.

Also pokemon turns are SLOW AS poo poo. Like seriously you can cut the amount of time a turn takes by like a half or more and lose absolutely nothing, it's ridiculous.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Wish those magnemites were real pokes :/

Been considering picking up a game after a decently long break from the series and new mag stuff may have won me over

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

I wanna play a pokemon game but I'm fine waiting. Did any recent pokemon games have any post-launch patches that improved this sort of stuff in a meaningful way? I haven't played any in like the last 10 years so I don't know what's normal for the series nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Looks like a shitpost lol

Anyway, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna wait until the first big patch to pick it up :)