Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Solumin posted:

Wait will we get a David Bowie Pokemon??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Because it’s a reseller who marked it up because it’s no longer in print.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

mandatory lesbian posted:

How about legends based off a good band instead

Why stop with just a good band? They already suggested the best band? Does Pokémon not deserve a Beatles reference?

:psyduck:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ll make sure to tell the confused Japanese attendant in Sunshine City Pokémon Center what trash their store is and how they’re mismanaging their brand, all in very fast English, while they look on befuddled when I visit this year. lmao

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gen 5 remake when

Diamond and what? Never heard of them.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Super No Vacancy posted:

there are like 15000 species of beetles

On that note, there are 1200 species of bats.

Gimme more adorable bats and less goddamn stupid fish. :argh:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure there are more than 1200 species of fish.

Yes but I like bats and I don’t like fish? :confused:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, it was a Japanese game aimed at kids who presumably wouldn't have learned much English in school yet. And even in Gen I, some of the Japanese names worked well enough for an English-speaking audience that the localizers kept them. But yeah, the Japanese names for Gen I Pokemon are generally not great.

Edit: I was going through the list, and some of them are worse than I remembered. I like "Barrierd" for Mr. Mime, though; they're weird/nerdy and make barriers.

I think Berrierd is more likely "Barrier+Bard" like a performer. Though, traditionally bards are singers, but the Japanese might not have cared about that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You know how some people don't shut up about Gen 5 being the best and poo poo?

They're right.

:hai: A good post.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Snake+ivy...like the plant...'cause he's a grass type...

:thejoke:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

It can be both!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Swampert is swamp rear end

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
ORAS has Slakoth, Lotad, Ralts, Seedot, Shroomish, Taillow all in the starting area.

How can you be starved for good Pokémon?

Aron is in Dewford Cave too, right?

Edit: Oh, you picked Swampert. You just have poo poo taste. Got it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gripweed posted:

I swear to god, I am not exaggerating when I say that half the wild pokemon I've encountered have been Zigzagoons

Do you just...not walk in the grass? Like, even Wurmple are all over the area before the first gym.

Dewford has Zubat, Machop, Geodude and Abra too, I believe.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sorry OP he’s a trash fire

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Leak confirmed even more I guess.

That chairman is totally evil.

I’ve been out of the loop. Which leak is this, please?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The WiiU pro controller is the platonic ideal of controllers. Works on Switch with a $15 dongle from Amazon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Detective No. 27 posted:

A friend of mine uses the 8bitdo adapter with the Wii U pro controller and it works wonders.

Yup. That’s the one.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Andrast posted:

I'm glad I do not give a poo poo about animations or older pokemon not being in the game because SnS looks cool

:hai:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don’t give a gently caress about the National Dex. Give me those new evolutions and forms and Hangry mode, goddamn.

In short:

oddium posted:

pokemon is good

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Borsche69 posted:

It looks like a weirdo wearing a costume mask, in a bad way.

No, you’re wrong. It looks really cool. “Redesign” looks shite.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So, being only vaguely aware of the whole Dexit situation, I had a pretty long conversation with my friend about it all. We both are firmly on the side of not minding the whole thing, but he was playing devil’s advocate.

In my eyes, this happened once before with losing (permanently) all of the pre Ruby/Sapphire Pokémon, and while I wasn’t as online then as now, I imagine people were upset but obviously got over it. What is so different about this situation other than the internet becoming an echo chamber of people repeating the same complaints and then feeding off one another?

My friend’s rationale is that the development time spent on Dynamax and Gigantomax could have gone to bringing over the full dex. My argument is that that’s likely not true, and even if it were, Game Freak would be blasted for not adding a new gimmick after megas and Z-moves.

Also, am I completely nuts in thinking that either the inevitable 3rd version or DPPt remakes will bring back the full dex and/or patching SwSh?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zore posted:

No, but they're pretty clearly testing the waters.

Again the big difference between this and R/S/E was that all the pokemon were programmed into R/S/E even if you couldn't catch them. Like you could still glitch or gameshark in a Mew and eventually trade them in. The missing ones literally won't exist in Sw/Sh's data.

Also there isn't a chance in hell they patch Pokemon in post release. Like we've seen them add a bunch of things like Megas or new monsters mid generation and they've never patched older games to have them. The best shot is a hypothetical DPP remake or 3rd version has them.

I think suggesting that Gameshark was a viable/popular option is unfair. If you wanted every Pokémon, you needed something like 6 games in Gen 3, no? Ruby, Sapphire, FR, LG, and the two N64 games, right? Theoretically, this gen will be a lot easier since you can always trade online.

Also, regarding the chance of patches, megas seemed like ultimately a gimmick for that generation, and probably carries less weight/importance than entirely missing Pokémon.

But you could also be absolutely right, I just don’t think it’s as impossible as you’re saying.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Amppelix posted:

If it was this easy, they would have done it.

That's usually the answer to these kinds of questions in games, by the way. If it seems like there was a super easy fix to some obvious problem that wasn't implemented... well, the fix probably wasn't easy.

That’s exactly my thinking. People assume game dev is as easy as pressing a button and it’s just not. This whole dexit thing reeks of entitlement.

Also, I haven’t seen confirmation anywhere that they’re never going to have the full dex available again. I’d genuinely like to see the link to that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TheKingofSprings posted:

When you’re paying 50% more for something it’s not entitlement friend

Pretty sure Let’s Go Eevee cost me over $50...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The amount of content in the 3DS games was 100% worth more than they charged.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

less laughter posted:

And LGPE was the opposite so it evens out

Hard agree. LGPE was a very pretty turd.

indigi posted:

use "I" statements

Nah. Anything subjective can be assumed to be prefaced by an “I think.” It’s unnecessary. Like this post. :v:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
At the end of the day, I just play the single player and enjoy the games for casual fun. Maybe 10 years ago I might have cared that a string of 0s and 1s I spent a long time leveling up was “trapped,” but I just don’t have it in me to care that much anymore about that particular aspect. It was surprising to see so many people who did, which is endearing in a way. But it’s the aspect where people get nasty and angry and claim that Game Freak is doing this out of anything but sheer necessity that bothers me and screams of entitlement.

Like, yes, these games cost money, but even a casual playthrough of just the story mode is gonna run you 20-30 hours, let alone if you do the post game stuff. At 20 hours and $60 for the game, that’s $3 an hour. I can live with that, especially when those 20 hours are as well crafted and fun as the mainline Pokémon games always are. When there’s so much else to enjoy and appreciate, the fact that this vocal sect of the fanbase chooses to ignore it and focus on one negative aspect bothers me. As someone who doesn’t have a creative bone in their body, I admire the people who can create awesome stuff and get defensive when I feel they’re being unfairly harshly criticized, which is exactly what I feel is happening here.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m...not upset? I was just giving my opinion. I also wasn’t calling your post unnecessary up there, fyi. I was talking about my own. As a joke. :v:

You seem to be the one upset and dictating how people should post.

Anyway, I’m gonna go back to posting when I see cool stuff like a gas bag with mutton chops or Gene Simmons dressed as a badger.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Spin to Win

When gods ask to speak to your manager
https://twitter.com/Silent71Knight/status/1183463620707016705

Next week: final Z Moves

It's gonna be lovely when Ash loses despite having an actual bond with his Pokémon as opposed to Tapu Koko who is just stronk. At least he won the title and they can't take that from him.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I got stuck with Blue as a kid despite loving Charizard 'cause my (Blastoise loving) best friend had Red. Eventually, I got all three Gen 1 games, so I guess it's a wash:

Blue/Red/Yellow
Gold/Crystal
Ruby/Emerald
FireRed
Pearl/Diamond/Platinum (Got all three, but started with Pearl because...Pink is closer to red?)
HeartGold
Black/Black 2
Y
Sun/Ultra Sun

But this time I'mma have to go with Sword because...swords are cooler...Sirfetch'd is cooler...and the sword wolf is cooler. I wish it were more Red colored though, 'cause I like red. :shobon:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 15, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I guess I'm about a hundred pages late to this, but Ponyta is Psychic and not Fairy? That's wild.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pentaro posted:

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
-Skipped 4th Gen :(-
Black 1&2
Y & Alpha Sapphire
Moon & Ultrasound I mean Ultra Sun.

I still haven't got a Switch but I guess I gotta get one ASAP.

Track down a copy or emulate Platinum. It's excellent.

Only downside is the player outfits in Platinum suck, but as sprites, you'll never be able to tell.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

less laughter posted:

Dawn looks better in Platinum than in Diaperl.

That's arguable, but at least we can agree Lucas looks better with his Diamond/Pearl outfit.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Winter wear rules, actually.

It does, but that collar and puffy scarf is so dorky

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Same, though I’m perfectly fine with breeding my own.

:same:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
From a purely brand new Pokemon standpoint, not counting forms, this game clearly has the least, right?

The three starters (plus evolutions) = 9
Wooloo (might have 1-2 evolutions)
Gosifleur and Eldegoss
Drednaw (probably doesn't evolve?)
Corviknight (probably doesn't evolve?)
Yamper (might have 1-2 evolutions)
Impidimb (might have 1-2 evolutions)
Alcremie (probably doesn't evolve?)
Rolycoly (might have 1-2 evolutions)
Duraludon (probably a third stage?)
Obstagoon
Sirfetch'd
Morpeko (probably doesn't evolve?)
Cramorant (probably a second stage?)
Polteageist (probably doesn't evolve?)
Zacian
Zamazenta

And then a bunch of unconfirmed Pokemon like the fish, that red thing the chairman sends out, the squirrel(s)

So a rough estimate would put the amount, as of now, to be around 40 new Pokemon. Maybe it'll go up to a round 50 by the time of release. I'm sure we're gonna get some surprises, a legendary trio of some sort a few more evolutions of old Pokemon...

I know X/Y had a really small amount of new Pokemon, but was it more than this?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 16, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Didn't the dynamax photo-website have index numbers that meant Alcremie, Drednaw, and Polteageist evolve, and that Corvaknight is a 3rd stage monster?

Just looked this up, and yeah, it looks likely. That's cool news. I always just thought of Corviknight as being similar to Skarmory, so I didn't think it would have evolved from anything. Makes sense though. That's one bad rear end evolution for a trash route-1 bird.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gen one merchandise sells the most, therefore, we get more gen one poo poo. It's $$$.

I went to the biggest Pokemon Center in Japan last week and like 90% of the merchandise was gen one poo poo. Some Mimikyu stuff and some plushies and mini-figs from various other gens, but yeah, mostly gen one.

Adults (who have the most disposable income) remember gen one best, so it makes sense to cater to them. And children don't really care one way or the other (and may not even know there's a concept of "gens")

I'm not saying I'm particularly happy about this (though Gigantomax Charizard is boss), but it's the reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Actually Charizard is good.

Actually.