Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
to big to fail face legal repercussions or behave morally.

ignore iron rose, they place money and the rich above all else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Iron Rose posted:

Giving SNC-Lavalin a free pass is absolutely the correct decision from an economic and security standpoint.

Alternately: Whatever important 20k jobs and services they provide that would be considered a national security issue get nationalized and all the C-level gets thrown in prison. Fine them hundreds of millions of dollars and use that to set up those important services at a new company with the same low level employees.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings on Friday accused the White House of stonewalling their demands for documents and witnesses relating to the White House’s security clearance process, and warned that this would be the White House’s last chance to comply before the panel issues subpoenas.

“Over the past five weeks, the White House has stalled, equivocated, and failed to produce a single document or witness to the committee,” Cummings (D-Md.) wrote in a letter to White House Counsel Pat Cipollone. “The White House has refused to commit to providing any information regarding the security clearance of any specific White House official, and the president has asserted no constitutional privilege to withhold this information from Congress

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1101579671798538240?s=19

Him and America's perfect boy Carter Page prove that a PhD isn't intelligence, just perseverance

Echoing above: His PhD is from a diploma mill.

Case in point:

This would get you sentenced to death in an actual PhD program.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Eej posted:

You're literally arguing that once a company is big enough they get to engage in morally reprehensible behaviour like bribing their way into building prisons for the Gaddafi regime and because money is the most important thing they should get away with it.

If you read carefully I'm actually arguing the exact opposite. Nowhere did I say that SNC-Lavalin should escape consequences for its behaviour. Nowhere did I say Trudeau's interference with the AG was okay. I'm explaining why it happened, not defending it. Nuance is not the enemy my friend.

E: I don't think barring SNC Lavalin from government contracts will be a good thing for Canada. I do think it should happen anyways. Is that more clear?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 1, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Trudeau hosed up pretty bad with the SNC-Lavalin mess. The company is a massive employer in Quebec and a loss of government contracts for 10 years will cost tens of thousands of jobs, and opens the company up to foreign exploitation and control, so there's a bit of a natsec issue there too. The Liberal government instituted a mechanism for companies that have been convicted of paying bribes that allows them to make an apology and pay a fine but doesn't come with the freeze-out of government contracts.

Giving SNC-Lavalin a free pass is absolutely the correct decision from an economic and security standpoint.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut you can't just go about pressuring your attorney general about these sorts of because even if it's the right policy decision it is still impugning on the rule of law which is a big no-no.

It's pretty bad news in an election year. The Tories are favoured to begin with as Trudeau has lost a lot of confidence among NDP voters who voted for the Liberals in 2015 - where the Liberal Party ran fairly significantly to the left of the NDP. Despite a significant amount of left-wing federal policy successes of which marijuana legalization is probably the most notable it's definitely not going to save him. It's a shame, I rather liked having an explicitly feminist Prime Minister and explicitly feminist foreign policy but Trudeau keeps running into scandals like they're garden rakes.

Jagmeet Singh, the leader of the NDP gets a bad rap for being unpopular and unelectable and polling has born that out pretty well so far, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another Conservative majority government in six months. Good guy with good ideas though, I'd be quite happy if he were to take the Prime Minister's Office. It's not gonna happen though, they're just not popular enough. I'll probably still vote for them though.

I don't know about the movers and shakers in government contracting world in Canada, but giving a company a pass after being convicted of paying bribes is a dumb as gently caress decision.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDona...Ftwitter.com%2F

so thats why they kept asking about a book deal

they're terrified

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
:stare:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Echoing above: His PhD is from a diploma mill.

Case in point:

This would get you sentenced to death in an actual PhD program.

the best part of this image is it's not a continuum, but rather a straight line. Peacekeeping leads directly to thermonuclear war. Which is why we have nuked Bosnia, and Somalia in my lifetime.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit

My question is why it's taken so long? Like no poo poo Pissbaby and his minions are going stonewall and spew bullshit. It's what they do. That pattern is already established. So why let them? What is gained by not sending the request and the subpoena on day one to prevent this poo poo?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i could guess, but i figure rep cummings is p. much the best possible choice for oversight chair possible and hes pretty good at his job

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Decorum.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
The amount of people at my yard who want someone to shoot Trudeau is staggering. Chud mania is alive and kicking and liberals are gonna lose this election if Trudeau stays as liberal leader. Their only chance is Trudeau not seeking re-election, or a Jack Layton strong NDP but lol at that (and RIP to Jack)

Edit: lol we're all gonna die

https://twitter.com/AnthonyAdragna/status/1101173601754058753?s=19

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 2, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

My question is why it's taken so long? Like no poo poo Pissbaby and his minions are going stonewall and spew bullshit. It's what they do. That pattern is already established. So why let them? What is gained by not sending the request and the subpoena on day one to prevent this poo poo?

Probably faster to threaten them and hope they comply than to actually subpoena from the get go, since the latter will end up stuck in court.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 2, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so thats why they kept asking about a book deal

they're terrified

Well, one person should be :v:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1101629247154737153

"You know how you didn't put me in jail for threatening you? Let me do my best to make you think that was a poor decision!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Well, one person should be :v:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1101629247154737153

"You know how you didn't put me in jail for threatening you? Let me do my best to make you think that was a poor decision!"

:stare: He published a loving book after getting chewed out.

E: Its not his book, but there's no way he didn't know about this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 2, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Talking point for next senatorial election: "I took action on climate change in Congress!"

:downsbravo:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh I just noticed that my governor is apparently running for president now

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah yeah good ol Jay inslee, best known for his ability to not be dino rossi. I wish him the best three weeks into the primaries before he calls it quits

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe he can get more unions to work against their own best interests again

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

:911:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

hello garfield

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EBB posted:

Talking point for next senatorial election: "I took action on climate change in Congress!"

It's more of a "my opponent is on the voting record disavowing anthropogenic climate change, please don't continue voting that loon into Congress".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

EBB posted:

This is actually a smart move because it being so simple and uncontroversial means no one can weasel out of their position being on record?

Republicans either have to admit on record climate change is real and we need to act... or go on the record as claiming it's not real.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It is a wedge into the door. Much like how "conservatives" insert things that look like nothing but actually chip away at things like abortion and birth control.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ah yes, a "transcript" of a book, or as people who aren't illiterate cheesebrains call it, "a book".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm guessing he meant manuscript.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EBB posted:

I'm guessing he meant manuscript.

Probably, but he's also an illiterate cheesebrain.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There are more benjamins in circulation in the world than there are singles. This certainly does not imply anything about the state of wealth inequality.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/the...taboolainternal

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

Probably, but he's also an illiterate cheesebrain.

Is he actually illiterate, or did he just fake it so he couldn't be deposed?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1101279538380750853

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1101287357528068096?s=21

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

As an alcoholic both of these suck TBQH except for the Okocim.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

an alcoholic who waters down their drinks with mixers is a bad alcoholic

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EBB posted:

an alcoholic who waters down their drinks with mixers is a bad alcoholic

Who said anything about mixers? There's no loving martinis.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lol if you don't drink anything put in front of you

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Umm excuse me, if Narragansett is good enough for Quint then it's good enough for me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There apparently isn't a drink named a Fat Lazy-Eyed Bitch

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Those DC bar drink lists that people have occasionally posted are way better than those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Handsome Ralph posted:

Umm excuse me, if Narragansett is good enough for Quint then it's good enough for me.

Agreed. Didn't see that one.