Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Best JRPG of all time right here. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

Now I want a Shadow Hearts game set in the Nixon era.
Interestingly enough it was brought up in the Koudelka thread that Kikuta had plans for three Koudelka sequels that never left the concept stage, the second sequel was going to be set during the Nixon Era in Chicago with Koudelka's professor grandson investigating supernatural occurrences around soldiers coming home from Vietnam.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kemix posted:

Death Emperor (I think that's him) got fuckin JACKED between games. Too bad he's probably gonna get tossed aside fairly quickly and completely forgotten about before we hit the five hour mark.
It's Amon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

Repeating anything you see in this game in a history class will cause you to fail badly.
Nonsense, everyone knows Mata Hari helped kill an evil Taoist wizard.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There actually is zero rights issues, the publisher just stopped making games and focused entirely on pachinko, they're just sitting on the rights and letting them squander. It's not like say, NOLF, where three competing major companies each own part of the rights.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 2, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The dev, Nautilus, is totally dead though so even if by some miracle we get HD remasters don't expect a new game even then.

I would still be hype as poo poo for just HD remasters though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ubiquitous_ posted:

There’s only 1 copy of this game left on Amazon. New condition, $99.99.
eBay has got more for cheaper, like in the $30-$50 range.

The days of getting a complete copy for like $20 at Gamestop like I did is definitely long gone though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Speedball posted:

So is magic public knowledge at this point or are people like Karin still getting used to it?
The latter, Shadow Hearts for the most part has it where most people don't realize magic and the supernatural exists. Any exception to this tends to be played off as a joke, like a certain character in FTNW who is a human-sized talking cat who's pals with Al Capone.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nohman posted:

So what like ten updates before the first actual child death? :v:
More like next update

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DiggleWrath posted:

I could have sworn there were more of those goofy arm dogs in this dungeon... Maybe they're in the next one with the finger spider...
No, armdogs are only in SH1.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sapientes Gladio also aren't part of The Vatican.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

Koudelka barely has any relevance to the first Shadow Hearts.
If it wasn't for Koudelka Yuri would have never saved Alice.

On second thought, you mean the game itself right?

I'd argue Koudelka definitely is relevant but its in such a way that yeah, you could just start with Shadow Hearts 1 and still be fine.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CmdrKing posted:

Naaaah, nah. remember that the Church in this setting planned to kill Roger Bacon as soon as he gave them immortality (he of course got his then set it all on fire to get around that) and their general "we rule the world and must keep humans beneath our bootheel" attitude started Albert on his path to "summon god, he'll kill everyone and sort this poo poo out" jRPG baddie status.

They just want all the Doom Artifacts for themselves so nobody can use that stuff against them. More of a lawful evil if you will.
The Church in the series backstory is bad, but not in the series present.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

Koudelka also introduced Roger, who is going to be important forever because he's great.
As well as the Emigre Manuscript which is relevant throughout the whole series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Even the Disney version of Pinocchio is dark, namely in that all the villains get away scot-free and continue committing their crimes, unlike in the book where some of them didn't.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, all those kids who get turned into donkeys stay donkeys forever.
They also definitely won't be the last.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Schwartzcough posted:

What happened to Prettyface McEvilPriest? He stabbed Yuri, Yuri exploded, and then it was campfire and picnic time.

Edit: Ah, I read bad. I guess Gepetto showed up and somehow dragged off both Yuri and Karen without getting noticed.
Blanca was there to help.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I actually don't think I finished this game, but I do remember Blanca never left my party unless he had to because he's The Goodest Boy
Pretty much everyone is viable in this game, unlike in the first game where Zhuzhen just falls off a cliff. (Though like the first game Yuri is still far and away the best character) I always had Karin in my team plus two more party members that we haven't met yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Junpei posted:

I'm not sure what characters you're talking about, so let us know which ones you are talking about when we get them. I can make an educated guess as to two of them, but the third still stumps me.
I can think of one character that is essentially an inferior version of another, but that character is still not bad at all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Typical turn of the centennial
drat Lost Generation with their crippling PTSD for seeing their friends getting blown apart in the trenches, what a bunch of sensitive babies. Back in my day...

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 15, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

God, I hate Karin's new clothes - the boots are fine, but the rest was clearly made for player fanservice. Like yes, there's a good reason she can't trot around in a uniform, but can't they give her something that doesn't look like it'll pop off if she breathes too deeply.

Let the woman have a pair of pants!
What they do with Karin as a character in general is one of the very few things I really don't like this about this game. I won't really specify right now due to spoilers, but you will all see what I mean eventually.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hwurmp posted:

Maybe there'll be better outfits to find?
Just hold that thought until the end of this LP.

Oxxidation posted:

town of twilight might be my favorite rpg town theme of all time
:same:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeTosh posted:

Given the setting of Shadow Hearts, I could believe Karin just got some secret, occult first draft of the opera that describes sword techniques.
Wagner did compose an opera about a werewolf that would force any werewolf that heard it to transform into their wolf form so this checks out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The mobs being thinly veiled Combatmen is fitting, I guess, because the Combatmen (and Shocker in general) are already even more thinly veiled Nazis. They even do the salute and everything. It's a couple decades early in game for that, though
Shocker was straight up founded by Nazis, akin to Marvel's Hydra.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
FF kind of had a bad habit of refusing to make their female protags the actual protag from time to time, i.e. Yuna is the real protag of 10 and Ashe is the one for 12

As exceptions go 6 had Terra and Celes as the protags, X-2 finally gives Yuna the spot, and then Lightning pushed the series into having the the female protag be the real protag more often than not.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shitenshi posted:

The actual kanji used for it has the translation roughly becoming something akin to "Triumphant Heavenly Firebird." I personally like Seraphic Radiance better just for the sound of it, but you know the official translation is wrong if only because there's no way in hell Dehuai should be summoning anything "seraphic" given that he's a Taoist living in China.
Seraphic Radiance also fits better because its reinforcing what they were going for; the original Jewish interpretation of angels looking like cosmic horrors like flaming wheels within wheels covered in eyes instead of the eventual Christian interpretation of androgynous pretty people with wings.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd like to reiterate that changing Yuri's name was a fantastic dub change.

Also I much prefer Lenny over his original name, Rene. Lenny fits his whole Mad Max villain minion motif far better than any kind of French name.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Brainamp posted:

What was Yuri's name originally? I know it was mentioned in the first thread but a reminder would be nice.
Urmnaf.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

...! posted:

The fact that the front cover (on the US version at least; I'm not sure about Japan) is just a gigantic portrait of Karin -- with Yuri nowhere to be seen -- is clearly an appeal to get horny teenage boys to buy the game.
Japanese cover just has Yuri on it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The closest thing we have to a Koudelka 2 is the manga, which Shadow Hearts retcons, though most likely still took some ideas from.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd still say Covenant's and FTNW's comedy is still unique to the series when it comes to games, especially when it comes to their love of kooky alt-history stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The stuff in Persona 5 is actually a lot worse than the Magimel Brothers, because the Magimel Brothers aren't portrayed as child rapists as a "joke".

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

and the P5 guys after the sexpest scene can be heard lusting over a celebrity that's high-school age. It's definitely very mean spirited and cruel.
Shadow Hearts as a series, despite its problems with its portrayals, actually has a healthy gay relationship too; which is something that Post-Persona 2 P-Team has never done in nearly twenty years.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 21, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Level 3 Fusions are cool, but they are more traditional looking compared to some of SH1's weird looking fusions.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Are we sure Sapientios Glados isn't just composed of Godhand villain rejects?
Keep that thought in mind for a little while longer.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
He's here! :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

Wait. I just realized after watching the Xenosaga stuff. Grand Papillion's VA was Cherenkov in Xenosaga, wasn't he?

E: I just checked, yes, he is!
Yeah, it's Paul St. Peter, he's in a bunch of turn of the 2000's dubs.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 12, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Joachim was a party mainstay for me too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Glazius posted:

I love how it's not even a wrestling mask but a hairclip. Perhaps when you have enough wrestle power, wrestling masks spontaneously arise from the environment?
For a true luchador the mask is not a physical mask but an extension of yourself. :haw:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If I remember right I ditched Gepetto for Joachim and Blanca for the next party member and then dumped that person for the next party member after that and that was my final team.