Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love this game by sheer virtue of the fact that the main character is the biggest trainwreck in RPG history

I wouldn't call Yuri the biggest trainwreck (although he's up there). Some of his fellow party members this game got him beat in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

But Cardinal Nicolai Conrad. Well... Maybe this should not be something you can read literally the moment you gain control of the game.

To be fair, was anyone (not named Karin) fooled by the pretty boy, even for a second?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Or is Nicolai really just that much of an insecure jerk?

A lot of this, a little of preemptively taking out a threat to Nicolai's evil plan. I don't even remember if he has one or the details, but frankly he's a bishie in a PS/PS2 era jRPG, having an evil plan is a given.

Unrelated observation, of course the little girl from Domremy-la-Pucelle is called Jeanne.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kurtofan posted:

Gepetto after Pinocchio left the house "finally, time to get wasted"

Lord knows he needed that.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shitenshi posted:

I was referring more to the Holy Mistletoe itself. You know Nicolai is bad news as soon as you look at his profile and he's described as a heretic disguised as a priest, but that Artifact of Doom was completely on the Pope's turf.

It was under lock and key. Admittedly in a tutorial dungeon, but that's a gameplay conceit. Father Elliot and Father O' Flaherty were both part of the Vatican (and tasked with a relatively important mission to retrieve the Emigre manuscript) and from what we saw they were mostly all right.

The Catholic Church here feels like the Aidios Church from Falcom's Kiseki series: mostly good with a shady enforcement agency that exists because having one is just common sense in a jRPG world.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shadow Hearts Covenant: where the dog is the smartest party member by a mile.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who What Now posted:

Why would hanging kill a puppet? That's like the one method of execution they are explicitly immune to.

Broken necks are not a joke, even for puppets. He gets ressed by the blue-haired fairy* shortly afterwards, I think a couple days later at the latest.

*I think her title translates to blue-haired fairy

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Wasn't Odin in on the deal to, at least so far as to agree to it?

I can easily see Loki brokering the deal, with both him and Odin wearing poo poo eating grins, thinking they're getting a free wall, then BAM! Giant's just blazing through his work on his horse! Odin losing the grin but schooling it into a cold smile, slowly turning towards Loki, and saying to him "Fix. This. poo poo. Now."

Yeah, this is a 100% accurate representation on how this myth went. I wonder if Dad of Boi 2 or 3* will include this and their interpretation.

*I kinda hope they'll get snappy subtitles because I'm not looking forward to disambiguating which God of War 2/3 I'm referring to.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Brainamp posted:

Mentioning the party limit upgrade makes me sad that I still haven't found a jrpg that lets you use your entire expanded party in combat at once. Like when a game gives you like seven or eight people, I wanna see all of them crowding a field and beating on stuff at the same time.

The two Mana Khemia games had three frontliners with a total party size of six/five*. The combat system revolved around constantly rotating everyone between the active frontline and the backline, while backliners recovered HP and SP at a decent clip. Not exactly what you asked for, but it's a decent way for everyone to contribute.

*In the first game a 7th character joins in somewhat late but you still can only bring 6 people in the party, in the second game you occasionally get a guest character as 6th and in the postgame the two ateliers join up for a 10 man group, choose any six.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

...! posted:

There'd have to be a Shadow Hearts 3 first. :colbert:

This is a quiet reminder that one of the early proposals for Drakenguard 3 was for it to be Drakenguard 4 and the plot would involve searching for the lost game.

(yes, I got :thejoke: )

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A wild Grand Papillon appears.
Thread goes wild.

It is endearing seeing the reactions from the other side, and wondering, was I the same during kethryveris's LP?
(answer: but of course I was)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Come on you assholes*, Yuri made an actual good joke there, how the hell are you not getting it? EVERYONE knows how pretentious sommeliers (but I repeat myself) go about wines.

*Looking at Karin, Geppetto and Blanca here. Joachim can be excused on this.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welcome back, TDI.

I'd like to point that if the scroll is actually from Solomon's time then calling it a book is fairly appropriate, not that Yuri would understand that. It's not like they had paper or printing presses at the time.
I mean, what do you think the books in the library of Alexandria looked like?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Crowetron posted:

I benched Lucia because, near as I can tell, she is not a buff vampire wrestler or a hyper-intelligent dog.

The wolf is still the most intelligent party member by a nautical mile.

E:

quote:

Is Carla talking about Veronica here?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Supersonic Shine posted:

I can only imagine Yuri saying the perverted responses in the most bored monotone imaginable, even though he's well-established as a lech.

Yuri is dumb, but not a complete idiot.
He understands don't stick it in the crazy, and Veronica absolutely qualifies.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Commander Keene posted:

Probably somewhere around 195%.

[Morbo]That's not how probability works.[/Morbo] You forgot a zero or two at the end.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Are we still in the stereotypical "leeches for everything" phase here?
E: assuming it ever was a thing that happened of course

But yeah, modern medicine is still in its infancy and a charlatan with the right idea could outperform court doctors with no clue. I'm also giving the Romanovs a lot of credit by assuming they hired actual doctors instead of charlatans pretending to be medics before Rasputin.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

My theory is that TDI's writing style was heavily influenced by this game, and that the Drakengard 3 writers were definitely familiar with the LPs from the rest of the series.

:yokotaro: was aware of TDI and his Nier 1 LP. The Dark Id has been officially nominated as Nier's Ambassador to the West after that LP almost made more sales than the marketing department for the game.

So I don't know if our favorite game maker still remembered about our fellow goon when he was making Drakengard 3, but it'll be forever my hypotesis that he pointed an intern with passable English at the LP archive and told said intern to take notes.
They did an "everybody's dead, game over" joke for heaven's sake. As far as I can tell that's common only here on Something Awful\Discussion\Games\Let's Play.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you and just wanted to expound some more for the thread.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 17, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:eyepop:
Figures, with Automata's success fixing Replicant is probably a slam dunk.

E: Is that number the decimal expansion of something interesting?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MachuPikacchu posted:

I'm not familiar with Japanese military history, so I don't know which two famous generals those two are.

As far as I can tell, they're nobodies.
They're also a Sentai antagonist squad, so that's why nobody is commenting, because it's simply par for this game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

They've been around Gepetto and his :yikes: doll daughter for a while.
I think they let some subconscious frustrations out.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I quite like that the party is so inured to everything that they give their opponents the respect they deserve, which is usually none.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DukeofCA posted:

Auron was 35.

35!

I think getting killed by Yunalesca, dragging his dying (bad)rear end through mount "Summoner Killer" Gagazet solo, then walking death off through pure spite caused some premature aging.

Having said that, the gently caress you mean he's 35?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welcome back, and ouch that sounds painful.

ultrafilter posted:

The whole combat data thing is an overplayed anime trope but it's absolutely how you would go about building a weapons system. You might have simulated it in software and run it through tests, but until you see how it acts in a real fight you don't know whether it works. There's a similar process behind designing self-driving cars.

:agreed:
At this point translators should stop using "combat data" because it simply doesn't work in English, but field testing is not this strange concept.
It doesn't help that the guys gathering combat data in animeland never loving say what improvements they're considering after gathering that data.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Exactly, The Emigre Manuscript can raise the dead, but it can't restore a soul. It's just not that precise and when you try to use it to do that things go horribly wrong and nothing you do or try will change that.

It's like how a power drill is great for woodworking, but terrible for doing dentistry work because it simply wasn't designed for that and shouldn't be used in that way.

And theoretically if one had perfectly steady hands a power drill could maybe possibly be used for dentistry work (since a lot of dentistry tools ARE power drills, just calibrated for teeth) so there's always going to be that idiot that thinks he's got the perfectly steady hands (narrator voice: he didn't).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

gently caress 2020.

Amen to that.

Ring Soul second* best character in the game.

*sorry but it's really hard to beat the wrestler superhero vampire.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

achtungnight posted:

Personally I like the Kazama Kiryu style of Japanese foreign relations. It’s where you gladly work with foreigners who want to help your business or train you in something (see Yakuza 0), but go punch happy on those who would mess with your countrymen in a bad way (see Yakuza 3). Yuri probably endorses this diplomatic style too.

What's the difference with the Kazuma Kiryu style of internal relations?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ratoslov posted:

Congratulations! That is the single most successful ressurection using the Emigre Manuscript yet! Almost five seconds of lucid sapience, and no monsterization! I say this calls for champagne all around!

Night10194 posted:

That went considerably better than I expected.

And it only took both the most accomplished warlock in the world to cast the ritual and the most powerful monster slayer in the world with a specialization in suppressing malice to disperse the inevitable malice buildup.

I'm thinking that before Roger translated part of the manuscript wrong on purpose, as a joke, the original author(s) also wrote down a lot of rituals wrong on purpose, as a joke.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

OK now do a Drakengard trolley problem.

I think we had a multi-track drifting edit in the automata thread.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That was some fresh bullshit all right.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

Some people who haven't played the game might think we're overselling the Man Festival. We're not. I've forgotten a lot about this game in the sixteen years since I played it, but I will always remember finishing it and sitting on my couch unable to completely comprehend what I had just seen.
I think we are overselling it a bit, it isn't the second coming of comedic Jesus (it does come close). It is genuinely funny and as insane as the rest of this game and the first put together. But this is 2021 so I assume we (collective we) are more inured to insanity.

Happy Landfill posted:

Um but what about the woman festival?? :colbert:
You know, this is a legit question that I don't think I can answer before we see the man's festival.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

achtungnight posted:

If you think this is weird, try the Cat Festival. A huge kitty tower covered in lounging felines that occasionally battle it out over various comfy spots as you go up. The amount of fur that must be cleaned up afterwards is enough to kill anyone with an allergy to it. The event is… [AN’s cat gives him a pleading expression] No. No, we are not going. How will participation in this be any different from what you do in my living room every day? Ok, you’re right, maybe you can be champion. Now I have to find out. Augh!

Is this from shadow hearts 3?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gilgamesh255 posted:

...There's a reference here, but damned if I can--ANNND there it clicks. How the heck was it that boar drifting was the key to it for me?!

Nega-protagonist and gardening are somewhat generic, while boar drifting is unique to Nier.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well, that happened. :confuoot:

Happy Landfill posted:

Um but what about the woman festival?? :colbert:

Now that we actually saw the man festival I can try to answer:

While I would trust these writers to write an equally funny two+ hours shitpost (shitquest?) with women, one gotta admit that a wrestling gauntlet to decide who will be the top and who the bottom in a yaoi scene doesn't really work if you simply swap* everyone's gender.

*You. You there. I see you typing your :actually: response. Don't.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 25, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Wow, Fate/Stay Night's spinoffs got really weird.

That'd be a solid 7.5/10 on the Fate spinoff weirdness scale, yes. Then again, much like this series, Fate is not afraid to go really stupid during joke sidestories.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thanks for all the LPs and introducing me to Nier. :cheers:
Take care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm kinda curious how Shadow Hearts 2: Alice is alive edition would go.

Probably Useless still manages to mistletoe Yuri, but Alice says screw that and purifies the curse in three days, a week top.
Afterwards, lvl 99 Rude Hero and lvl 99 Alice Elliot carry the rest of the party in speedrunning the plot having even less respect for the joke villains.