Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Galahad's sword? Jeez Nicholas, that's pretty ritzy using such an historical artifact for starter equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ratoslov posted:

How the heck did this wet-behind-the-ears loser become a Cardinal?

He's a handsome anime man, he can be whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kanfy posted:

You may laugh at one cute lil' toy duck, but when you find three of 'em stacked on each other? Well that's when poo poo gets real.

The fools, they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could stack 3 ducks they didn't stop to think if they should stack 3 ducks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so, Nicolai's whole thing is that he was destined to save the world, but Yuri and friends did it first, so now Nicolai wants to murder Yuri so he can be famous or something? That's super petty. Yuri doesn't appear to have gained anything from saving the world, he's not well known or rich, his one reward was getting to continue to live in a not destroyed world, something Nicolai (and everyone else in the world) also benefits from. Nicolai has lost nothing from not being the one to punch out God other than, apparently, having his ego damaged.

Am I misunderstanding? Or is Nicolai really just that much of an insecure jerk?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Video games with playable dog characters are usually pretty great, case in point: Okami.

That puppet is kind of freaking me out. Does she ever talk? Or is she just kind of there? I can't decide if it's creepier for her to talk or not talk.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Accordion Man posted:

Even the Disney version of Pinocchio is dark, namely in that all the villains get away scot-free and continue committing their crimes, unlike in the book where some of them didn't.

Also, all those kids who get turned into donkeys stay donkeys forever.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the bees? Or the snakes? Or the bees with snakes in their mouth and when they buzz, they shoot snakes at you?!"

The monster designs in this game series are always so great :allears:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My favorite version of the myth is the one where Arachne brags about being better at weaving than the Gods and then Athena comes down and is all "oh yeah?! Prove it!" and Arachne is just like "Fine, I will" and it turns out Arachne actually IS better at weaving than the Gods and Athena is so pissed about this she whacks Arachne other the head and murders her and then turns her corpse into a spider as an extra little gently caress you.

The Greek Gods were total dicks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arkanumzilong posted:

Wasn't he a swan once too?
Or was that a bull?
Greek myths are weird
Fun, but weird.

He did both of those things.

He also once had sex with a woman and then turned her into a fly and ate her.

Yeah.

Are there any Greek myths that don't involve sexual assault or horrific violence or both?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

David D. Davidson posted:

There's the story of how Hermes and Apollo became friends.

Hmmm, yeah, fair enough, that story only contains some light animal abuse and mutilation. Which is super tame by Greek standards.

Also, now that I think about it, the story of Echo and Narcissus doesn't have sexual assault or horrific violence either. Just extreme emotional distress and body horror.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, sign me up for the "I hate Karin's new outfit" bandwagon. I think I wouldn't dislike it as much if her military uniform hadn't been such a good look for her, it's such a massive step down design wise.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kemix posted:

The fact Vaan was the main protagonist because they thought Basch wasn't engaging/attractive enough to sell the game on his own still pisses me off. FF12 had a LOT of bad choices, but the Vaan/Basch one was probably the worst of the lot...so much beginning padding...

Well, it's not the first time square enix picked the wrong person to be a protagonist.

Yuna should have been the lead in Final Fantasy X.

That is a fact.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

literal translation gave us persona 5

don't be persona 5

Important to note for people who don't already know: the literal translation in Persona 5 was not something the people translating it even wanted to do, Atlus insisted upon it (I have no idea why).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Accordion Man posted:

I'd like to reiterate that changing Yuri's name was a fantastic dub change.

Also I much prefer Lenny over his original name, Rene. Lenny fits his whole Mad Max villain minion motif far better than any kind of French name.

Kind of disagree with you on that one because Rene is an adorable name :3: and I'm a sucker for that old gag where super tough and mean looking people have super cute names.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GeneX posted:

I don't like beating up the other dog, he just wanted to impress his friend :(

And Tetsu is just one year old too! He's basically still a little puppy!

I hope the next fight our good boy has is a little more fair.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BioMe posted:

I don't think the entire thread pulling their swimming trunks up to their armpits over Karin's outfit being too ridiculous quite had the game's tone pinned down by the last update.

No one was upset because it looked ridiculous, they were upset because it looks lovely.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BioMe posted:

Not sure what distinction you are trying to get at here, but if you say so

Well first of all The color scheme is awful, the beige of the top blends in with Karin's skin way too much and causes her to look like a weird topless barbie in low lighting. Also, aside from being three sizes too small It's a remarkably bland outfit. It's not just fan service, it's boring fan service.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Req.Martyr posted:

It reminds me of some of the weirder FFX outfits actually. Though not for the better

Personally, the beige and orange color scheme isn't one I think manages to look good, especially on a pale redhead. That said, when Karin came back out for some reason I felt like they were trying to make her look a lot like Koudelka and I'm not sure if I'm just insane. Gotta go back and look.

I didn't notice until just now, but you're totally right they do look alike:

Koudelka's outfit has a way better color pallet for her skin-tone though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Am I misremembering, or wasn't the hypothetical Koudelka 2 going to star her son? Was that supposed to be Halley's game?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, Koudelka's actual story still stands out as a really strong character driven gothic horror story. It's such a shame about the gameplay.

The voice acting was also great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Persona 5 stuff is significantly worse. The Magimel brothers may be stereotypes, but at least they're actual characters (and portrayed as pretty nice guys with useful skills) and not just an excuse to do child rape jokes.

For the sake of my own sanity I'm just going to go ahead and assume that Cornelia is a small doll modeled after an adult woman. Actually, is she modeled after Gepetto's late wife? Is she inhabited by his late wife's ghost? That would be kind of sweet, in a super creepy way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

OminousEdge posted:

It is actually modeled after His Dead Daughter

....That makes things so much worse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

These fusions are kind of bland compared to the last game, I mean this was the level one light fusion back in the first shadow hearts:

Do they get weirder and more monster-ish as they level up?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I would say none of them are as aesthetically interesting as SH1's Fusions. It's a side effect of the much, much more lighthearted tone of the game, unfortunately.

Accordion Man posted:

The Level 3 Fusions are cool, but they are more traditional looking compared to some of SH1's weird looking fusions.

That's a bit of a bummer, I really loved how strange and creative the fusions were in the last game.

Oh well, at least the random enemies are still bizarre and surreal.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

it's me, the guy who actually likes Glam Rock Vampire Yuri

Yeah I honestly think Glam Rock Vampire Yuri is fine, it's just that I prefer Angelic Sea Slug Yuri.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 26, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

amigolupus posted:

So we got Nicolai who's dressed like an evil JRPG priest, Lenny who's dressed like a Mad Max extra, and Veronica who's dressed like a rejected Sailor Moon villain.

What kind of organization is Sapientes Gladio again???

I bet it turns out their ultimate goal is to make everyday Halloween, which I think might make us the bad guys for trying to stop them?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

wow the TV Show really has not aged all that well.

Wait, there was a Shadow Hearts TV show?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Donkey Kong Country one :ssh:.

Ooooooh, yeah early CGI has aged like unrefrigerated milk.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who is this magical butterfly man? Does he join the party at some point? Because if he doesn't the developers made a terrible mistake.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yuri's little "What? Huh?" Some how makes a great scene even better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Junpei posted:

"Papillion" is French for "Butterfly", btw.

It's also the name of a breed of dog that has an adorable butterfly shaped heads:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 13, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Really don't think the Mayor thought attacking Yuri and friends through: He and his gang weren't strong enough to beat Joachim, the new group WAS strong enough to beat Joachim, so of course that group is going to be strong enough to beat HIM.

Dude really should have just taken the money back and avoided an rear end whooping.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nimsant posted:

Hi!
I have caught up to this LP, and it is much fun

I have not played SH2 before (only Koudelka and SH1) and I am playing along now.
I realize I miss this kind of PS2 RPG games.

I have been thinking, what kind of alternate outfit could make Gepetto's doll look less creepy.
So I made this. Do you think this works?

Oh poo poo! That's a perfect improvement in every way!

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Take all the time you need to deal with real life stuff, these let's plays are hilarious and well loved but everyone in this thread understands you're also an adult with a job and a life and that comes first :)

Anyway, Joachim continues to be the best character. I very much respect his commitment to the craft in regards to refusing to use his vampire powers outside of costume.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm so sorry

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

gently caress yeah let's ride.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What is that thing on Veronica's left eye?

Best I can figure she cut apart a Mardi Gras mask and then super glued half of it to her face.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, wrestle vampire is great, every rpg should have a wrestle vampire.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh! The giant bug's name is Gregor! I get that reference!

I dunno about that Mr. Chef guy, cooking while naked and holding the frying pan so close to your crotch doesn't seem sanitary.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RandomMagus posted:

Kafka right? The dude who turns into a bug?

Yup! From his novel Metamorphosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, is chin guy still working for the Japanese government, or is this just a vacation to him? That part wasn't totally clear. Well, whatever he's doing he can afford to buy a new kickass cape so I guess he's doing alright.