Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Oni healing item was hypo sprays. And boy were they hard to make full use of; I can totally see it working in a game with actually reliable hitboxes...
Oni was still pretty great though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The nice thing about the hypospray system was that you had the option to "overheal", giving you a nifty aura and letting you hit harder while the health ticked back down to max.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Oni is one of those games where I wish that someone would remake it so that it was a bit less janky, since the martial arts gameplay itself is really fun but it's got a lot of rough edges to it.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Blastinus posted:

Oni is one of those games where I wish that someone would remake it so that it was a bit less janky, since the martial arts gameplay itself is really fun but it's got a lot of rough edges to it.
Oni was great, janky, and iirc broken - you learn martial arts moves as the game goes on, but start the game already knowing the strongest one (that you were supposed to gain at the start of the final stage) and I can't remember if that was to fix difficulty or by accident and never patched.

I kept a bunch of saves on my old computer because the final boss was different depending on a decision made earlier in the game, but it determined that by checking a .DAT file or something instead having two branching levels; you could save right before the final boss, reload the save right before the decision point and pick the other option, then reload your final boss save and it would be the other branch. Could probably just swap out the files, but I didn't know how to do that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Content Warning: Arachnophobia :siren:

:siren: Part 20: It's a Metaphorical Scythe :siren:

For those of you who get squeamish around spiders, you should probably check out until Part 22. You're not missing *too* much, the Iron Canopy is very...Temple of Time-esque, if I had to put a name on it. Get to the end, get your new toy (It's the hookshot), then go back through it with the new toy and clear the actual objectives. It works, and it's a nice return to form after the Ashlands, but the overall dungeon design is definitely starting to show some cracks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, I've got a pretty strong case of arachnophobia but Darksiders spiders never really bothered me; I think it's the cartoony art style and proportions.
The only bad parts are where you have to pass under one of the invincible fuckers on the ceiling.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Content Warning: Arachnophobia :siren:

:siren: Part 21: Let's Murder All the Spiders :siren:

Not to say that the game's bosses in general are very good, but Silitha especially has that missed potential feeling. But alas, we're done here and on to the next one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ended prematurely perhaps but I think the teleporting and quick dodging kept things a bit more lively.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Maybe its because you got the equivalent of the biggoron sword not too long before you met this boss.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Ended prematurely perhaps but I think the teleporting and quick dodging kept things a bit more lively.
Yeah, this is actually a pretty good fight. The key is figuring out that you can get the most hits in when she is taunting you - you're not as much fighting the giant teleporting spider as shutting it up. The second phase is just a victory lap.

Regaring the visual design, I feel that Iron Canopy suffers from focusing too much on the "spider" part and too little on the "ruined hospital" part. Darksiders' mix of the goofy and apocalyptic can work really well when it utilizes both (like the oil rigs or ruins around Ulthane's place - hell, even the subway platform you fight whatshername the bug boss at). Darksiders 3 really loving nails the feeling as well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 22, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Gotta say, I really wish you'd bite the bullet and LP Darksiders 2. I played it a little and wouldn't mind seeing what the rest was like.. just, y'know, not enough to actually play it. :effort:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

inflatablefish posted:

Gotta say, I really wish you'd bite the bullet and LP Darksiders 2. I played it a little and wouldn't mind seeing what the rest was like.. just, y'know, not enough to actually play it. :effort:

Ask and you shall recieve
Kind of anyway.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

That's a really good LP (as is their LP of the first one). They're also currently doing an LP of the 3rd one on their Youtube channel (They don't post on SA anymore).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 22: We're In the Video Game Singularity :siren:

And so Samael gave us exactly what we wanted as part of an even and fair exchange, which is exactly what everyone expected to happen.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I always loved that twist. All the buildup towards his betrayal and in the end he just calls us a big fat jerk, declares himself the better man, and does exactly what he originally said he'd do.

Just with more threats and anger because, y'know, demon.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 23: It's a Soul Laser :siren:

Welcome the Black Throne! It sucks! The genre change is...okay, I guess. It gets a lot more grating as it goes on, much like the dungeon in general.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm glad fedule and crow are willing to do what they must, because they can.

Those rooms with the up and down paths super suck. It's trying to solve a puzzle where you can't see the parts.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have almost no memory of this dungeon, but I firmly believe Artix is telling the truth about it being the worst in the game.

Christ, how long ago did I play this? Nine or ten years I think? Pardon me; I'm having one of those "I feel old" moments.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Black Throne sucks; I don't think I've even seen any Darksiders fans having anything good to say about its gimmick. On the other hand, by now you're kinda invested in the story and want to see how it turns out even if the Big Bad's identity was obvious since the tutorial, so just want to get the dungeon out of the way and to the climax already.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
This is the place that broke me for this game. I didn't find the super rune for the sword, so I slogged through combat with enemies with way too much HP, just to be rewarded with terrible portal puzzles. I finally get the third beam puzzle done (The first one was enough!), get to yet another combat arena heading for the boss... and fall through the floor. I'm stuck under the world, and my last save point is before I even entered the place. I just couldn't do it over again.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I never minded the Black Throne because I managed to finish it for my friend when he couldn't which was a big moment for me because I was always going to him whenever I got stuck on stuff like it (gently caress Ocarina's Water dungeon:argh:).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 24: This is Now a Hate LP :siren:

Have we mentioned the Black Throne is bad yet because boy howdy is the game determined to show its rear end. I still have no idea how to properly explain the scale puzzle because I definitely just kinda stumbled around until I solved it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 25: This is Your Brain on Puzzles :siren:

Man, I knew the Black Throne was bad but I didn't expect it to crater discussion. Can't say I blame anyone, though. Tragically, Crow was cut off by the end of the video and we may never know what he was actually going to say. The world is poorer for this turn of events.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The Black Throne proves that you shouldn't always follow the rule of threes.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The worst part of all this is, if the devs had just made a few small changes to the center room this entire last video wouldn't have needed to happen and we could have been spared a third of this mess.

Remove the doors that lead to the third tower.
Remove the portal panels needed for the third tower.
Cut the angels "one more beam" line.
Remove one of the skull seals.

That's it, they could have even left the area in and just covered up the doors! The rule of three is really more of a suggestion, and should not be applied to tedious repeated puzzles.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rule of three is more of a comedy thing too, as I understand; setup, subversion, reversal.

It's not even padding, because they added like half an hour of bullshit.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The devs love the rule of three, which gets taken to ludicrous extremes in Darksiders 2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wiseblood posted:

The devs love the rule of three, which gets taken to ludicrous extremes in Darksiders 2.
Yeah, but I honestly can't recall a single mandatory area in that game that would be as bad as the Black Throne.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me I still need to actually FINISH Darksiders 2 at some point.

I wonder if the developers were just running out of steam when it came time to make the Black Throne, or if it was late game crunch leading to a lack of polish. Also leads me to wonder if the portal thing would have been better if it had been introduced earlier in the game (thus giving them more time and more space to work with it).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 26: A McMansion Made of Skulls :siren:

The end of the Black Throne means we're heading into the final stretch! Thankfully the last section kinda speeds up a bit because we were in there too long as it was.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about the direction. Genesis looks weird and decidedly unpromising, but Darksiders 3 was mostly amazing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Darksiders 3 was alright, just 2 things bugged me about it:
* No map
* Unmarked point of no return that locks you out of the 'true' ending if you missed something

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ah, the Cavia gambit.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I recall Artix having a, shall we say, less positive opinion on Darksiders 3.

I picked it up during a random sale at EB Games a couple weeks back, but I haven't played it yet. Mostly because I want to finish Darksiders 2 before then. That of course hinges on me remembering HOW to play Darksiders 2 given I got distracted by a shiny object, or personal life-altering crises or something, at like 1/2-2/3 of the way through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, now I'm looking forward to that LP if it ever takes place.
No map is definitely an issue but I am fairly sure you get warned before the point of no return, plus the structure of the game should tell you poo poo Is About To Go Down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 27: And Then War Was a Demon :siren:

In which Fedule makes a fascinating character read that makes a ton of sense and was 100% not intended by Vigil.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love the exasperated expression that Azrael has when the watcher fails to get what he means by asking War to bring the Destroyer peace.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm surprised by how good a job the animators did at making these character designs expressive.

Now if only the script were better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like the script. It's simplistic, but functional and stuff like war being a quiet, stoic dude is pretty cool.

It suffers pretty hard from Sesame Street levels of important words though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

paragon1 posted:

I'm surprised by how good a job the animators did at making these character designs expressive.

Now if only the script were better.

Honestly Darksiders has surprisingly great character design for what it is, they're expressive and generally unique with meaningful opinions/equipment.