Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPHMw5F-GU

The year is 1991 and Tim Berners-Lee just gifted the World Wide Web to the public. The internet barely existed.

In the console wars, Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis ships 15 million units; Zelda: A Link to the Past ships 4.15 million units.

One game for the Genesis however, was weirder and way funkier than an anthropomorphic hedgehog running around gathering rings or a sword-wielding hero traversing between dimensions to defeat a pig demon.

That game was Toejam and Earl.

I remember playing this game at my cousins' house with my brother. We were immediately hooked. Many hours of the best co-op gaming that was ever created ensued.

It was absolutely zany, we had played nothing else like it.

The premise was simple - you played as one of two excellent funky hiphop aliens trying to obtain pieces of their lost ship to escape earth and its dangerous denizens. The game world was usually randomized; presents littered on the ground to help you in your quest were unknown objects of help or hindrance; and the game got much harder the further on you got. For many of us early millenials, it was the first roguelite we encountered. And the game was perfectly suited for playing with a friend.

Fast forward to March 1 - where steam helpfully popped up an alert telling me, without much foreknowledge, that a new Toejam and Earl game - based as a homage to the old-school first game - was out, today. I mashed on that buy button, my dudes.

Well, is it any good?

If you liked Toejam and Earl (the first one) at all, it is a must-buy. Online and local co-op, with up to 4 players! New enemies, presents, levels, interactions, along with your old favorites, plus a bunch of the more interesting mechanics from Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron have been implemented.

Live Action music video :lol: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0bK0_6hbY

The only critique I have of the game so far on launch day is that I wish the view would be zoomed out just a bit more - it's harder to see what's happening on later levels when you're playing with friends because of screen clutter. Other than that, huge thumbs up! Get this!

Pacra fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Reserving for fanart, googledoc of steam names for co-op, etc.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 2, 2019

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Feels a lot like the original, which is a great thing.

Only thing I'm missing so far is some of the sounds and music from the first one, but some of that is probably the nostalgia talking.

Looking forward to co-oping this with my brother like we did in the 90s, with lots of accusatory bickering at who attracted the ice cream truck and terrifying mailbox to the other so that we got knocked off the map. That and making burp sounds.

(also we totally swiped this game from our cousins)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Love this so far, had a great time going through co-op with a friend and looking forward to many more games with the randomized worlds. I like that it meshes some of the mechanics of 2 with the gameplay of the original. It's a great love letter to the series and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed TJ&E.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I'm super pumped about this game existing now, I'm going back and replaying the original 2 before checking this one out. Don't wanna miss any funky details they included.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Loving the hell out of this on my Switch. Although I seem to have had some manner of glitch/bug earlier, and I'm not sure who the hell to report it to. I was playing for a bit, had a rando join in, played a bit more, then I had to leave. When I got back I noticed all the levels I'd visited had de-popped all the NPCs/enemies and likewise all the levels I was visiting seemed to have no presents/dudes spawning. It was Fixed World FWIW, since it was literally my first time playing. Got to level 10 before it happened though so been playing rnadom world now and loving it.

I played a bit of Panic on Funkotron when I was a kid. Other than the ~HYPER FUNK ZONE~ what's from it in this one? OP mentioned having some features from it, but yeah.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Loving the hell out of this on my Switch. Although I seem to have had some manner of glitch/bug earlier, and I'm not sure who the hell to report it to. I was playing for a bit, had a rando join in, played a bit more, then I had to leave. When I got back I noticed all the levels I'd visited had de-popped all the NPCs/enemies and likewise all the levels I was visiting seemed to have no presents/dudes spawning. It was Fixed World FWIW, since it was literally my first time playing. Got to level 10 before it happened though so been playing rnadom world now and loving it.

I played a bit of Panic on Funkotron when I was a kid. Other than the ~HYPER FUNK ZONE~ what's from it in this one? OP mentioned having some features from it, but yeah.

Mainly that you can search trees and bushes. But the parking meters/buttons and the dance minigames are also from 2.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I only had the sequel when I was growing up but I loved that game so much. I watched a bit of the giantbomb quicklook for the new one and it looked pretty good but obviously nothing like 2.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

man nurse posted:

Mainly that you can search trees and bushes. But the parking meters/buttons and the dance minigames are also from 2.

Oh, poo poo, I completely forgot the bush/tree searching from 2. Heh.
I remember it being very different but rather liking it (if less than the original) as a kid. Is it worth playing, or was I just dumb? It's on that Genesis collection I've also got on my Switch so probably should check it out.

Anyway, how does one going about unlocking the extra characters in this one here?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh, poo poo, I completely forgot the bush/tree searching from 2. Heh.
I remember it being very different but rather liking it (if less than the original) as a kid. Is it worth playing, or was I just dumb? It's on that Genesis collection I've also got on my Switch so probably should check it out.

Anyway, how does one going about unlocking the extra characters in this one here?

Panic on Funkotron is a fun platform in its own right, but was a completely different kind of game than toejam and earl 1. I recommend playing it!

You unlock extra characters by beating the game - 1 extra character unlocked per game beaten. I should probably update the op with some actual useful info, but to be honest I'm still enjoying playing it and discovering all the new stuff (I've only scratched the surface.)

The fixed normal world is extremely easy, I feel like for vets of the first game, this game will only truly shine once you have random world and hardcore mode enabled (along with all the unlocks of course).

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Apparently Macaulay Culkin is a huge fan of Toejam & Earl and is an executive producer of this new one? Did not expect that name to be in the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Logan 5 posted:

Apparently Macaulay Culkin is a huge fan of Toejam & Earl and is an executive producer of this new one? Did not expect that name to be in the credits.

Yeah that threw me for a loop, too.

I'm an unabashed fan of the second game as well. I really liked it growing up and I think it's a fine game in its own right. But this is a welcome return for the funky aliens.