Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the winner of NICSA 20 - Beans?
Ben Nevis
BrianBoitano
Kirtar
Nephzinho
SLICK GOKU BABY
Waci
View Results

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's been a great competition and thanks all for participating! We had a few pros in this one who will be considered for the chairmans prize only and not part of the general voting since this is a newbie contest. There are prizes for 1st and 2nd place in the voting and the chairman's prize which could be almost anything (or almost nothing!).

In order of submission are:

Kirtar - Many beans and many pickles
BrianBoitano - Garbanzo bean meats and lima bean sweets
Nephzinho - Beans - Good For Your Heart
Waci - The accidentally deep fried hands were not part of the meal
SLICK GOKU BABY - Once you go Black You Don't Go Back... Well You Might...
Ben Nevis - A Mess of Beans

Those not eligible for NICSA - chairmans prize will be considered
dino. - Beanception
Scientastic - Chronicling the failings of a has-bean

Voting will run the entire week until I wake up Saturday, March 9 and call it. Please try to share the thread far and wide and lets get some decent turnout. We've all seen what happens with low voter turnout. Once winners are voted I will reach out to see how you prefer to get your prize.

Thanks to everyone for participating, and for the non-newbies to throw in some nice effort and show us all really interesting stuff!

If you have any concerns or questions or spotted any errors, PM me or email at breaky@gmail.com or just post up in here if it's not a sensitive topic.

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So many great entries, this is gonna be a tough choice in voting! Nice work all around.

I really wanted to get in on this, and actually instantly had the perfect dessert idea --- which seems to have been the big head-scratcher for most entrants. Unfortunately, my life's kinda gone sideways and I'm squatting in someone's basement with a "kitchen" that consists of an old dining room table and a microwave. I did make split pea and mixed bean soup in the microwave (THAT only took, like, 5 thousand hours. I really should have soaked before trying that).

Anyways, cross-posting from the Historical Cooking Thread, here's what I was gonna do for dessert:

I, a few months ago, posted:

Recently my boss at my restaurant job had pies cooling when we came in (we come in at 5 am; she's nuts and comes in at like 3. But hey, not gonna argue with stuff like 5am congee if she likes making breakfast for us).
They looked like pumpkin pie, and the whole kitchen smelled like it. She'd put a pecan crumble on top, and had freshly made whipped cream. Woo! Breakfast of champions!

We dig in, and while this pie is really good, we all start exchanging looks because none of can quite place what it's made from. It's custardy, but not quite pumpkin pie, nor pecan pie.
"Boss, what IS this?"

Turns out a thing in the south during the Great Depression was using pinto or similar beans to make a mock pecan or pumpkin pie. She had come in early to soak beans for one of our lunch menu items, and had a poo poo ton left over, so she made these sweet pies out of them. And drat fine pies; as I said, we all liked it, and she gave out samples to customers to test drive it and got rave reviews. Now it's on our holiday catering menu.

As a Yankee born in the 70s, I'd never heard of such a thing, and thought the thread might find this lil bit of historic cooking interesting (and a cool way to use up extra beans).

So if anyone's got a ton of leftover beans you don't know what to do with, give it a shot! Just Google "depression bean pie" and you'll get varieties using pintos, navy... I bet black beans would work pretty well, too.

Thanks for all the inspiration, folks! And now I'm starving. :(

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sorry to hear about your kitchen situation. May your future contain happy counters :)

I can say bean pie worked well for me, everyone should get get pie-happy when they can

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 3, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I need to get personal pie tins. I've never finished a normal sized one in a meal and slices don't keep as well. A local bakery does 2"-3" pies and after every holiday I get to fill my freezer with leftovers.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I made Dino's vadai from his entry - really neat recipe! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805594&perpage=40&pagenumber=62#post493072725

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So many great entries, this is gonna be a tough choice in voting! Nice work all around.

Seriously; every entrant had at least one dish that was super intriguing to me.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Whalley posted:

Seriously; every entrant had at least one dish that was super intriguing to me.

Absolutely. I vote with my tummy though and picked the one I'd be most excited to eat overall. Good job, guys!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bollock Monkey posted:

Absolutely. I vote with my tummy though and picked the one I'd be most excited to eat overall. Good job, guys!

Yeah, I finally voted with my gut (yuk yuk) choice of "if I could have any one of these for dinner tonight, what would it be?" I absolutely suck at photography, and am an avid follower of the AFP thread, so I know sometimes something can taste fan-loving-tastic but doesn't photo well, even under the best circumstances. Beans are pretty notorious for this; one of my signature dishes is my family's sacred lentil soup. Every year I make it and take pictures, and while it tastes fantastic, it always comes out a hot mess in photos.

All y'all did a great job, though! Special shout-outs to dino and Scientastic for participating; I love your posts and it was cool as heck to have you join the party even though you weren't technically qualifiers.

I hope another NICSA pops up soon, I really want to try one someday. :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I finally voted with my gut (yuk yuk) choice of "if I could have any one of these for dinner tonight, what would it be?" I absolutely suck at photography, and am an avid follower of the AFP thread, so I know sometimes something can taste fan-loving-tastic but doesn't photo well, even under the best circumstances. Beans are pretty notorious for this; one of my signature dishes is my family's sacred lentil soup. Every year I make it and take pictures, and while it tastes fantastic, it always comes out a hot mess in photos.

All y'all did a great job, though! Special shout-outs to dino and Scientastic for participating; I love your posts and it was cool as heck to have you join the party even though you weren't technically qualifiers.

I hope another NICSA pops up soon, I really want to try one someday. :(

I've been spending more time on my plating overall and just starting to take the photography aspect more seriously. For the former, it 90% comes down to being patient enough to hold off on just diving in (see: the broccoli rabe part of my cassoulet dish being completely eaten about an hour before it was done). For the latter, it has just been taking photos in the one well lit spot in the apartment and using consistent framing/exposure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You can buy nice photo lights for reasonably cheap too if you want to take the photo and lighting came up to the next level. I sell on Ebay and already have a couple lights and umbrellas. My kitchen however is laughably small and was only able to get 1 light in there. And even then it was interesting to deal with... (I also have a tripod and a wireless clicker because I am not able to hold my phone steady and take photos).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just a heads up I have company coming in for a good chunk of the weekend. Depending on when they leave I may post announcements a little later in the weekend instead of 1st thing Saturday morning. Voting will remain open until then.

Once results are up I will get in touch with the winners to go over specifics about prizes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That Works posted:

Just a heads up I have company coming in for a good chunk of the weekend. Depending on when they leave I may post announcements a little later in the weekend instead of 1st thing Saturday morning. Voting will remain open until then.

Once results are up I will get in touch with the winners to go over specifics about prizes.

Boo. Clearly you need to close it on time so that we have a second place tie and ensuing death match.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Boo. Clearly you need to close it on time so that we have a second place tie and ensuing death match.

I haven't voted, and was only going to if there was a necessary tiebreaker.

Actually, I would flip a coin for that result so as not to hand-pick a winner.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is there a way to see poll results in the iOS awful app? Laptop is on the fritz

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Coinflip tiebreaker went to Nephzinho.

Winner is Waci, 2nd Nephzinho.

Chairman's prize goes to dino. for making a very nice newbie friendly instructive and educational post. I need to see if I have something i can send to slick goku baby as well because that was a really cool effort going all in on black beans.

Winners please contact me by PM if you have them and we can sort out preference on prizes, ie methods to send money or giftcards. If you don't have Pms post here and I'll give contact info.

Thanks to everyone else that participated, New and old alike. There was a lot of cool stuff and I'm definitely making several of these dishes this month or two. Congratulations!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dunno what the second place prize is, but happy to split with goku if possible on the tie. I've already got most forum upgrades.

Looking forward to the next one (with better photos)!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Dunno what the second place prize is, but happy to split with goku if possible on the tie. I've already got most forum upgrades.

Looking forward to the next one (with better photos)!

It was $25 amazon / other gift cert, or I can paypal you cash or something. Up to you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You can buy nice photo lights for reasonably cheap too if you want to take the photo and lighting came up to the next level. I sell on Ebay and already have a couple lights and umbrellas. My kitchen however is laughably small and was only able to get 1 light in there. And even then it was interesting to deal with... (I also have a tripod and a wireless clicker because I am not able to hold my phone steady and take photos).

You don't have PMs and I thought your entry was cool and that it sucks to lose on a coin flip. Do you want an avatar cert or forums upgrade at least? If so let me know and I can send over. My email is spoilerd in the OP.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That Works posted:

It was $25 amazon / other gift cert, or I can paypal you cash or something. Up to you.

Not sure how splitting credit works so I'd say venmo me $12.50 and send the rest to goku.

@ username

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Congrats all! It was fun.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That Works posted:

You don't have PMs and I thought your entry was cool and that it sucks to lose on a coin flip. Do you want an avatar cert or forums upgrade at least? If so let me know and I can send over. My email is spoilerd in the OP.

I'm cool with taking 3rd, but wouldn't complain about getting the platinum upgrade. Never got it back after the last ban :P

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm cool with taking 3rd, but wouldn't complain about getting the platinum upgrade. Never got it back after the last ban :P

Ok cool. Can u send me an email so I can send the certificate to you for platinum directly?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That Works posted:

Ok cool. Can u send me an email so I can send the certificate to you for platinum directly?

Done.

Cool now people can continue to not PM people, but I can now be a snitch again :smug: (jk, I'm not no snitch)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ok, prizes should be all sent to everyone now! Please contact me if there are any issues.

Thanks again everyone for participating and for those also who took the time to help judge and vote. This was fun. I've more than paid for the the sousvide system I won from an NICSA a few years ago so finally I get the chance to pay it forward and it's nice to see so much cool stuff happen in this one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks of offering to run this, That Works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Thanks of offering to run this, That Works!

My pleasure