Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Aliens is still a good movie and I might watch it again for the 10th time this year, at least.

Only 10? I guess you're not a fan of the film, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Prometheus and Covenant are not canon.

Someone should hit Ridley Scott over the head and take 'his' franchise away from him.

Honest opinion: When Ridley Scott adds his canon to his previous works, it's usually to their detriment. I always hated the "Iz Deckard be a replicant?" poo poo in Blade Runner. gently caress OFF, RIDDLES.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It actually just came up in CineD a couple days ago, it was a lot more civil than it usually goes. :suicide:

Oh yeah if you like Michael Biehn and you like videogames, do yourself a favor and play Far Cry: Blood Dragon, it’s :krad:

Also I can’t personally vouch for it yet but he and Lance Henriksen recently worked on an audio drama based on William Gibson’s rejected Alien3 script draft. I’m planning to listen to it this weekend.

Alien III: An Audible Original Drama https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY1BGD1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.YZvDb5ZKP5AV

Is it worth getting an Audible account for this?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

He reads a couple of them I think.

Uhhh... including this one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In all fairness, it was a pretty lovely joke.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh man, now I wish Paul Verhoeven had directed an Alien film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Is it worth getting an Audible account for this?

So yeah, got an Audible account. I've been listening to the audioplay to and from work. I'm enjoying it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

T2 Sarah Connor, because there's something far more reassuring about her than Vasquez. Vasquez would probably get you killed, and she's clearly insubordinate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Sarah Conner wanted to survive

Vasquez wanted to kill

When Sarah Connor had the opportunity to kill, she chose not to, because she didn't just want to survive, she wanted to save. Sarah Connor is muscly lady Jesus and is therefore the best.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I teach at a girls' school, and I showed my senior students Terminator 2. They all genuinely LOVED Sarah Connor.

That's my Sarah Connor story, thanks for being a great audience.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Allen swarm was excellent.

I thought it was Alan.

https://www.mysoti.com/designer/slightlywrong/product/1764400/slightlywrong--tshirt--Alan

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

But in A3, the company is able to get a ship to that planet in 2 hours once they found out ripley was hosting.

I think space travel in the Alien universe is a lot like the force in sw. You make it up as you go.

I'm guessing there are corporate ships stationed here and there that can make it to a place within an X number of days. Marines are low priority, so they can wait 17 days, but a massive boon to a top secret project they're trying to get off the ground? That poo poo gets priority, and they'll expedite a ship there within a matter of days.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Paxton the only actor in Hollywood to have been (presumably) killed onscreen by an Alien, a Predator and a Terminator?

RIP :(

Hudson is never seen getting killed, last seen getting dragged down through the floorboards by a bunch of Xenos, presumably to get cocooned and facehugged later. He probably died in the explosion caused by the dropship crash.

His death in Terminator is also off-screen (I think the Nightstalker from Cobra is the only one we actually see getting killed), although I think it was confirmed in dialogue.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Him and Lance are the only ones.

Lance Henriksen is killed by a Terminator and a Predator, but Bishop technically survives his encounter with the Queen.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

skasion posted:

Hudson gets grabbed after the dropship crash, he probably got nuked by the reactor explosion

Well, yes. The reactor gets all broken and explodey later on because a USMC dropship smashed into it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Torquemada posted:

This probably sounded different in your head.

Now they're married and raise sheep together on a farm.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone remember Aliens: Colonial Marines where the Aliens acted nonchalantly like they were strolling to the 7-11 and refused to attack you unless you walked straight up to them and started whaling on them with your fists or whatever?

And how removing a space from a string in an .ini file nearly fixed it?

Yeah it was something like that. I saw a video of a guy who fixed it, and apparently it does somewhat improve the game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, an ideal cut would retain the stuff cut from after the Marines are introduced. The "life on the outpost" stuff, while fine in a vacuum, seems superfluous and Ripley's daughter, I won't miss too much if it were excised.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember liking the underwater attack and topsy turvy ladder scene but I don't know if they hold up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Absolutely nothing in Alien, Aliens or Alien 3 suggests anything of the sort. They were just space monsters with a nightmarish method of making more space monsters.

I dunno, the fact that the Derelict had all the eggs all neatly organised in rows to begin with does suggest something's up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

On an express elevator to horneyposting.

Going down.

Yo! Start your grinnin', and pick up your linen.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, Pennywise the Frown, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out. Independently targeting wank-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart lube, phase plasma pulse lotions, latex gloves. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got lube, we got more lube, horneyposting...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did everyone's pants just drop sharply when I was away?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They're cumming out of the goddamn walls.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looks like someone dicked one of Ripley's bad guys.

Acid for cum.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey Bishop, do the thing with the penis!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

Look into my brown eye.

Looks like love at first sight to me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ripley: Don't we have fleshlights?
Aaron: We've got thousands of them, but no batteries. I told you, nothing works.
Ripley: Wanking? Do we have the capacity to self-pleasure? Most humans have enjoyed that privilege since the Stone Age.
Aaron: No need to be sarcastic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

HICKS: M-41A 10cm pulse-rabbit, over and under with an 30cm pump-action g-spot locator.

Ripley hefts the weapon. It is heavy and awkward. But there is an irrational promise of satisfaction in its lethal cold steel lines, to at least the sense that she will be in some greater measure the master of her own fate. She raises it clumsily.

Ripley: What do I do?

You started this. Show me everything.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hrrrgh, I'm trying to lay eggs for the hive, but I'm dummy thick and the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps em poppin back in.

Are we still horneyposting?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

Fake edit: damnit, I started clicking on more Robocop gifs and now I'm going to have to watch it again sometime this weekend.

Dead or alive, you're cumming with me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

Cum quietly or there will be trouble.

e: Well give the man a handjob

Cobra rear end Cannon. State of the art BANG BANG!

I like it!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Icing sugar for blood.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

This movie also introduced me to Joss Whedon, which correctly formed my opinion of him.

Pretty much the same reason I never bought into the JOSS WHEDON IS FEMANAST JEZUS! poo poo from a few years ago. The icing on that cake is his insistence that it's everything but the script and specifically the script that's wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

^^^ Yeah, no doubt.

For the Ridley Scott dementia prequels, it was the opposite for me. I actually kind of dug Prometheus the first one or two times I watched it, but slowly the criticisms people were making became apparent to me and now I can't watch it at all. The only scene worthy of the Alien franchise is the emergency c-section scene, that still makes my skin crawl.

I consider them to be akin to stuff like Superman: Red Son or The Dark Knight Returns - other universe tales that while are still part of the Alien films, are only tangential to the overall lore of the series.

I wanted to like Prometheus, but I hated it it the first time I saw it. I rewatched it again last year, and I found my opinion on it has softened somewhat, although I still think it's pretty loving weak.

IMO, the strengths are (in no particular order):

1. The creature designs and practical effects
2. The body horror aspect of the film
3. The exploration of the temple is actually pretty neat
4. The haunted house in space angle it takes on
5. I liked Marc Streitenfeld's score

And its major weaknesses (also, in no particular order):
1. The characters are more poorly drawn out caricatures. The film is also hurt by the fact that Shaw is a fundamentally boring wet blanket of a character, and while I suppose Holloway is meant to be unlikeable, they lean way too much into it. The guy's just a complete oval office to David for no reason.
2. The major plot points that are meant to be profound or meaningful, but are never given enough time or gravity to be meaningful. Case in point "OMG Vickers was Weyland's daughter!" or "Old man Weyland was alive and secretly on the ship the whole time!" Because neither really get any significant follow-up, it's like "who cares?" No one onscreen seems to.
3. The film collapses in on itself in the final act, when its attempt at profundity ends up becoming an overreach. It's like the film is trying to convey all these ideas, and never quite sticks the landing anywhere.

The whole "why did David know what would happen if he put the black goo in Holloway's drink?" criticism that I remember popping up back then though, IMO, was bullshit. It's loving obvious David had no idea what would happen, he just knew it would be something bad, and he wanted to find out what that would be. Plus, gently caress Holloway, so why not use that shitcunt for such an experiment.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Torquemada posted:

gendered slurs. more than one in fact.

You might want to read up on the use of "oval office" outside of the US.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I occasionally wonder how the franchise would've turned out if OJ Simpson had gotten the role.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So I got a small Xenomorph statue that Weta Workshops made.

https://www.wetanz.com/shop/vinyl-figures/mini-epics-xenomorph

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Common things to watch out for/avoid or things to make sure you do?

In order to win, you have to avoid losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I finally got around to finishing William Gibson's Alien 3

I liked the UPP B plot.

I felt like the pacing was off and the story was rushed.

I don't like that Newt and Ripley are just removed from the story.

The idea of people exploding into Xenomorphs was cool but ultimately didn't work for me in the context of the story and universe. Bio-weapon gone wrong is one thing but making people explode into xenomorphs? The whole "xenomorph taking over human DNA" thing is another massive rule change with regard to the xeno's and its one I don't personally like.

They didn't make clear why the "natural" xenomorph attacked the red-eyed xenomorph. I interpret the red-eyed xeno as some kind of man-made variation that the natural ones don't like but its still super vague and unexplored.

I think its a good foundation for a good director. I would've loved to see James Cameron working on this screenplay rather than the Alien 3 we got.

Yeah, that's my overriding impression of it as well.

Like Ripley is out of commission and it feels like it's building towards her making a late arrival into the story, but nope, she literally gets rocketed out of the plot.

Definitely a draft or two away from being a fully satisfying story.