Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Where's Dietrich?!

Everyone I’ve shown the movie to for the first time doesn’t spot that xeno until it moves and it’s great.

There’s no special effects or trickery or anything, it just blends in really well until it’s time to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Worth mention that the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is actually a decent movie, and far better than Resurrection.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I guess part of it is the original is so perfectly paced sacrificing that down to very good/excellent is worth the tradeoff for more scenes, for me.

As far as structure, I guess that just doesn't matter much to me beyond the first viewing.

I think I’m of the mind that people should see the theatrical version on their first viewing and the special for the ones that follow.

BaconCopter posted:

This dude knows what's up. The extended and additional scenes really change the movie from blah to pretty good.

Thing is it’s not really just extra or missing content being reinserted into the film like most special editions - it’s a complete reworking to the point both cannot be considered canon because they directly contradict each other. I remember reading the novelisation before I saw the film (the novel is basically the same as Assembly Cut) and being confused as gently caress as to why the xeno came out of a dog, and why Golic vanished out of existence.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

RossMan4Life posted:

Anyway, it was an incredible game that I'm sorry everyone missed out on.

I dunno dude, I seem to remember that both AvP Gold and AvP2 were very popular in their heyday, everyone who could run it was playing it at my school at least. Unfortunately it’s stuck in the same licensing hell that NOLF is so we won’t see a rerelease anytime soon.

One that did seem to get massively overlooked is Alien Resurrection for the PS1. It was terrifying, bastard hard and also was one of if not the first game to use the dual analogue control method all console FPS games have used for over 18 years now.

It also had a neat mechanic where upon being facehugged, you’d pass out for a bit then awaken with a timer running. If you was able to use a special device to remove the parasite (the game supplied them fairly and you could store them in your inventory), you got a neat video of it vaporising the chestburster and all was well.

If not, you got to experience your character writhing in agony before your chest explodes and it’s game over.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Code Jockey posted:

welp just had my first death in Isolation waited a bit too long in the transit car looking around. That scared the poo poo out of me and this owns

I was like why is the music getting all tense? Is there going to be something scary in the transit car? It got there and nope, empty, so I think oh lol the game was faking me out, I'll just look at the magazines wait what is that souOH gently caress OH GOD

Please continue to update this thread with your experiences as I am reliving my first time through Isolation through you and it owns.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Code Jockey posted:

Okay so I didn't make it much farther in Isolation looking for the chip to fix the door hacker-thingy but I have some questions about mechanics of the game:

Tell me how the scavengers work. Do they just roam freely? I ended up hopping the transit car to the reactor looking for the chip, searched around the reactor area for a while, and came back to find a group of scavengers in the transit area preventing me from going back to where I was before (essentially trapping me in the reactor area). I tried to figure a way around them, couldn't, doubled back to the reactor thinking there may've been a hatch or something I missed, didn't find one, and came back to find the scavengers had moved to another room, unfortunately closer to me, so I couldn't get back to the transit area at all. All I have right now is the wrench thing still, no way to shoot them, and no apparent way to have sneaked around them - is it possible to just hide and wait for them to leave? Given enough time, will they on their own?

I was also thinking about my encounter last night and it owns in retrospect. I was doing a dumb video game thing just idly looking around the environment and dragging my rear end despite something really loving bad happening which should've made me panic and run away and I got killed for it. I love it

also there is no fuckin way I will ever play this game in VR lmao

My memory is hazy as it’s been a long time since I last played but you should be able to make some noise and draw the scavengers to investigate and clear you a route. Alternatively if you make enough noise that the xeno appears, it will murder the scavengers very quickly and you can slip by in the chaos.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lmao holy poo poo did they really go for a "the androids are all programmed for magazine murder" thing, and not like maybe Ash is just a loving weirdo who doesn't really know how to kill someone and is trying to improvise with the first thing that comes to hand

It was just a small bit of fan service, the Working Joes usually strangled folks, broke their necks, or just plain beat them to death.

Don’t run. Running causes accidents.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqzYjWLqgNA

This is so bad it wraps around to being good.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My partner, who generally isn’t very good with horror movies, bravely decided to take the plunge.

I’ve got the 2010 blu-ray versions and Alien looks absolutely phenomenal. Despite being the oldest I’d say it’s definitely the best looking, as Aliens seems to have used that grainy film that all movies used in the 80s.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

purple death ray posted:

Was thinking about Ripley's line to Parker towards the end of the movie, "Obviously that means killing it." That's such an understated hilarious line

I'm quite fond of Lambert's "I like griping" myself.

Glenn Quebec posted:

What makes Alien so good is Ash. Him overriding Ripley's quarantine and sound decision making is what makes it plausible. Cut to Prometheus / Covenant and you can just play yakety-sax over everything. Especially the beginning of Covenant when the landing ship gets destroyed via banana peel slipping over blood.

Like, you can make the characters smart and tough, and do logical things but poo poo falls apart anyway -- which, imo, is way more scary. Watching competent people fail.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - there isn't really any action which the crew of the Nostromo takes which could be considered stupid. Arguably the closest you could get is Lambert freezing in terror and indirectly getting herself and Parker killed, but while its not smart, its certainly very understandable.

Ash breaching quarantine is another one where if you was ignorant as to his true intentions could easily be put down to him not wanting to leave a fellow crewman out on some inhospitable rock to die. Again, quite understandable.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ghostnuke posted:

fake edit: I just thought of something else. What's with the Bishop copy at the end trying to act like he was the real human? Wouldn't that guy be hundreds of years old by this point? Who's going to fall for that?

Was this the theatrical or Assembly Cut? I can’t remember if it is in the theatrical version but in the Assembly Cut he is bleeding red after getting twatted on the head, and screams “I’m not a droid!”

The whole idea of multiple copies of Weyland androids in charge didn’t come until a lot later. I’m pretty certain he was the real deal in Alien 3, at least as far as the filmmakers were concerned.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the Nostromo crew actually have laser pistols - Dallas and co. have them on their hips when they go find the Derelict, and Kane even draws his in the director’s cut when he investigates the egg.

The whole reason the filmmakers gave the Alien acid blood is to explain why the characters don’t just shoot it.

Ironically in hindsight shooting it and quickly evacuating/sealing off the section where its blood compromises the outer hull probably wouldn't have been a terrible way to deal with it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thank you so much for posting that. I always remember the "SEND IN THE MARINES!" part of it.

:hmmyes: I'm actually playing a game right now so I turned on Alien 3 in the background. Maybe I'll pick something up via osmosis.

Speaking of the game, I'm playing Colonial Marines the Stasis Interrupted. Someone mentioned it a few pages ago I think. I didn't even know there was a new campaign until they mentioned it. I'm too lazy to look for the post but they mentioned it being great. Well I'm just about 5 or so minutes into it and it's pretty great. You have no weapons and are currently just trying to get out of there. There were a few jump scares that genuinely got me.

If anyone has Aliens: CM check it out.

edit: Whats the deal with the aliens controls in A:CM? Is it for multiplayer or something?

edit 2: Finished the Stasis Interrupted campaign. Wasn't too bad. The beginning was nice I guess because it felt a bit like Isolation. There is a ton of dialog of Michael Biehn. A bit of Lance Hendrickson too.

Stasis Interrupted is noticeably better than the main campaign I have to agree. ACM is an interesting one because despite Gearbox being a bunch of dishonest assholes and the general slap dash nature of the game (esp. the likes of the AI typo) its clear that there were at least some people involved who really cared about the film. The game absolutely nails environments such as the Sulaco, Hadleys Hope/LV-426 and the derelict. With the appropriate graphics mods its not a bad looking game either.

The sound design is absolutely on point as well - I don't think the Pulse Rifle has ever sounded better in any other Aliens/AvP title - its pretty much the only game aside from AvP 1999 that I don't feel compelled to install a sound mod for. The soundtrack is very good, and takes just as many cues from Alien as it does Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-zrsYzKxM

Unfortunately even with graphical upgrades and mods that make it a damned sight better than how it started out, the game just has far too much human vs human combat, too much co-op bullshit that leaks into the single player experience (nothing says tension after just barely surviving a xeno attack than a massive "RANK UP!" graphic appear over your HUD), and constant "WOOOO MARINES OO-RAH TO ASHES SEMPER FI". I seem to remember the marines in the movie were a lot more cynical.

The first time I played ACM was at launch with the first patch installed, and I'm now going through it with the ACM Overhaul v5 mod installed running ultra quality Master Effects/Reshade, and its gone from "this is pretty terrible" to "this isn't that bad".

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The biggest crime is that its been nearly five years since Alien Isolation released and we've not had a sequel. Given the success of Mr X in the Resident Evil 2 remake it seems an opportune time to take advantage of the "implacable enemy hunting you down" concept being popular in the mass market.

Another crime is that if you Google search "Alien Isolation" the only review to show up on the first page is IGN giving the game a 5.9. Funnily enough the guy who wrote that review appears to be the same dickhead who spearheaded volunteering efforts at Tesla centres.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I was just thinking about that last night. After firing the pulse rifle for a while I was like, "drat, this sounds exactly like the movie." It even stutters every so often like how they fire short bursts in the movie. I don't think it cuts off your bullets when it does that but the sound is certainly there.

As strange as it sounds when it comes to games the Pulse Rifle and Smartgun are really the only weapons I ever give a poo poo about in terms of sound accuracy in any kind of game. I think its because of all the real and fictional weaponry in media there is nothing that actually sounds like them; they both have very distinct noises when fired that immediately make you think "Aliens", and I guess thats crucial when it comes to immersion.

I've got a real soft spot for Alien I think because the first ever FPS game I played was at a friends house on his Playstation. That game was Alien Trilogy and it blew my mind. Then a bit later my family got our first ever games console for Christmas - a Playstation - and one of the games bundled with it was Alien Trilogy. I hadn't seen any of the films at this point, and then my dad decided to let me stay up late one evening and watch Aliens with him.

At the end of the Playstation's life I was playing the poo poo out of Alien Resurrection (an underappreciated gem if any goons here haven't played it), and then my family got a new and pretty decent computer - and one of the first games I got after that was Aliens Versus Predator 2, which introduced me to the world of PC fps games, online multiplayer and internet forums through a site that I think was called AvP News? So I was getting introduced to all this new stuff, and this franchise was involved with loads of it.

All these years later my long term partner and I are buying a home, and I'm planning to propose. Still have them though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Xenomrph posted:

Today is my birthday and while I'm not thrilled with that for reasons unrelated to Aliens or this thread, expect photos of some of my random Aliens (and maybe Predator) merchandise posted later today.

Happy Birthday dude. Are you the same Xenomrph who frequented the AvP/GameGossip forums back in AvP Gold/AvP 2’s hayday?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hey Alien fans, if you haven't ever played Alien Resurrection for the original Playstation, you really should! The game is one of those gems which a whole lot of people never looked at due to a multitude of factors. The game spent time in development hell and released 3 years after the movie it tied into. Said movie was poo poo. All the PS1 players were too busy cumming furiously over the brand new Playstation 2. All the PC players were making GBS threads their pants playing Aliens Versus Predator.

So yeah, it really didn't do as well as it deserved to. Which is a real shame as Alien Resurrection is seriously impressive when you consider its a PS1 title released 19 years ago.
  • The environments and everything in them are all 3D; weapons, enemies, props etc, no sprites here.
  • This is one of the very first, if not the first console FPS games to use the dual analog control scheme all modern shooters use - which ironically got it savaged by certain reviewers back in the day. Aiming is still tricky at times due to the suboptimal frame rate, but the controls have aged incredibly well.
  • Theres an inventory system - items such as medkits are picked up and can be used at anytime later. They will also carry through to subsequent levels.
  • You play as Ripley for most of the game but you get to play as different characters on a few levels. The differences aren’t huge, but enough to shake things up a bit (Ripley’s immunity to acid blood is the most noticeable).
  • There are no loading screens mid-level; all are hidden behind elevators or airlock style doors.

As it happens the game natively supported the Playstation Mouse, so I got it in my head to get it running via emulation to basically play it with a mouse and keyboard. Which was brilliant - when it worked. Retroarch kept making GBS threads the bed and I don't have the patience to spend ages tinkering around with that bullshit anymore, so the only solution was to dig out the real deal.

This game is survival horror in FPS clothing. The way the combat and inventory works makes this game feel almost like an early version of what you'd get if you mixed Alien Isolation with Resident Evil 7. There's no actual puzzles, but progress is made by collecting keycards, shutting off forcefields, deactivating security systems and so on. Other methods of progress are more complex, such as searching for detonators to eject a soon to explode lifeboat from the ship.

The only music in the game is during the title menu. There is literally no ambient or dynamic music of any kind in the game, outside of combat ambience is provided by the noise of the ship and its systems, and the sounds of distant clashes between whats left of the crew and the xenomorphs, creating an oppressive and lonely atmosphere. The only voice you'll hear through the course of the game is from Father - the ships computer.

It's hard. Another thing that it suffered for critically back in the day is how the game is really quite difficult. Ammo is scarce, xenos do a lot of damage and are difficult to hit, and there are large distances between save points. Fortunately your weapons are very potent and you just need to think about what you're doing and make your shots count. The levels themselves are large and complex, and xenos will try and get the drop on you. The good news is that alien and human enemies will fight each other rather than gunning it for you all the time, so its often advantageous to let both sides slug it out before finishing off the survivors.

It has the best facehugging mechanic in any Aliens/AvP game by far. Alien games have varied drastically on how they handle the little fuckers. Alien Trilogy had them hump your face for a few seconds while you lost a small bit of health, but they were only a real threat if you was on the verge of dying. By contrast, AvP, AvP2 and Isolation had them instantly kill you if they were able to jump on your face, making them the single most dangerous enemies you could encounter. AvP 2010 would have you throw the facehugger off provided you was at max health; less than max meant instant death, and in typical Colonial Marines fashion you simply mash a button to repel it making them no real threat whatsoever.

In Alien Resurrection, should a facehugger manage to get you, you black out for a few seconds before waking up to a dead facehugger at your feet and a mysterious new health bar slowly counting down. Should this bar empty completely, you are treated to a violent game over sequence as the chestburster emerges. Luckily, scattered around are items called Autodocs that you collect which remove the offending critter. While impregnated, facehuggers will half heartedly jump at you and do minor damage, so should you fall victim to one be sure to hold off using the autodoc as long as possible while you destroy as many facehuggers while they can't hurt you. So the mechanic balances facehuggers really well between being a minor annoyance and terrifying instadeath machines. This is fortunate, because...

There are a LOT of facehuggers. Outside of Alien Trilogy most Alien games used these creatures quite sparingly, and some such as the marine campaign in AvP2 you didn't have to fight them at all if you didn't want to. Alien Resurrection on the other hand not only has lots of them, but eggs will usually open if fired upon. Mercifully where there are eggs/facehuggers there is usually at least one Autodoc around, so if you're careful you shouldn't die from the chestburster. Autodocs can be collected and stored in your inventory like other items.

Xenos are smart. Being a PS1 game there's not exactly going to be some advanced AI in play here, but the game does a good job nonetheless. While Xenos will run straight at you, they'll also come at you from the ceiling and the walls, jump out from around doors and corners, and try and flank you or get behind you.

If you have a Playstation or Playstation 2 knocking around and can find a copy, its seriously worth a look. Lastly I leave you with this gem from the review Gamespot did when the game was originally released.

Gamespot posted:

Fans of console first-person shooters or the Alien film series will probably be better off waiting for Fox's recently announced Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PlayStation 2. While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet, this is one instance where the unknown is preferable to the devil you know.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the Alien Resurrection game was the first console FPS to have dual-stick controls.

People at the time complained about the “counter intuitive” control scheme, and now it’s an industry standard.

The best thing about the Gamespot review is the Medal of Honor style controls are an available option, if he’d bothered to actually look.

It’s like giving a pc game a bad review because you didn’t like the default keybinds instead of just changing them.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It's been fuckin' forever since I played this game. I don't recall how far I got but I explicitly remember having no problem with the controls because:
1) Dual-analog felt natural enough as a controller equivalent to what had become the KB/M standard for PC FPS games by then.
2) TimeSplitters had already been out for a while by the time I actually got around to trying Resurrection for myself, and it featured the same dual-analog controls for moving/aiming. I had no problem getting used to that either.
How or why GameSpot thought this dual-analog setup was counter-intuitive I don't know! :shrug:

But god drat if I hadn't been spoiled rotten by other FPS games, even on the PlayStation alone, by the time Resurrection finally escaped development hell and rolled around to release. It wasn't unenjoyable; I actually had some good fun with it and things could get genuinely tense at times, but all I really remember about the map designs in Resurrection boils down to a bunch of dull metallic grey-brown environments, often comprised of bland narrow corridors (which is understandable given the source material, so I can't knock it there) and some absolutely horrible draw distance, even in supposedly well-lit sections. Basically, I don't remember anything specific about any levels because there was often gently caress-all enough to see that would actually leave an impression. I have the same complaint with Alien Trilogy, now that I think about it. Thick dark fog everywhere and samey corridors for miles.

The Facehuggers, however, just gently caress those things. Of all the Alien-based games I've played, only Isolation got it right because they're rare, only appearing toward the very end of the game, and nearly everything kills you instantly anyway. Every other time, even in stuff like that old SNES Alien 3 game, they just ended up being tedious and/or frustrating to deal with as things progressed, and Resurrection was no exception to this. On one hand the timer/Autodoc solution is better in this instance than the Facehuggers being the insta-kill mechanic they so often are, but on the other hand they're really unnecessary and dealing with them to prevent you going on an item hunt just slows things down too much, and often ends with you going on that very same loving item hunt anyway.

All that being said, I really should give it another go. It's definitely a better way to spend two hours than watching the lovely movie.

Edit:

Oh poo poo, speak of the devil etc.! Can see myself going through this properly with saves and that speed cheat (even though the latter may well end up making the game harder...)

Funnily enough I replayed Alien Trilogy a few months back after I went and retrieved my family's PlayStation from my parents house, and I honestly thought as far as "Doom clones" go it held up very well. Sure the enemies are sprites and theres no proper vertical aiming, but as the controls are digital only it felt like you wasn't hamstrung in any way. Environments are of course limited by the source material as you say, but I thought it did a bang up job replicating the feel of Hadley's Hope, Fury 161 & the Derelict. The music was petty damned good too.

I didn't play a huge range of console FPS games back in the day, but I do seem to remember short draw distance being a thing due to hardware limitations (Turok springs to mind). I also remember Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both had long draw distances but horrific framerates.

I wouldn't say item hunting is actually a thing - the game plonks the Autodocs right in or before areas you're going to encounter facehuggers to the point its actually a good tip off that you're going to encounter some in the next few moments. Plus being able to store them in your inventory means even if you somehow miss one you're good - I'm on the third level having used 1 autodoc and have another 4 in my inventory.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tell that to Rebellion circa 1999-2000

AVP1's facehuggers are the loving worst to the extent that I honest to god never bothered playing AVP2's Marine campaign as a result

No they really are used sparingly. My memory is a tad hazy but I seem to remember in the marine campaign in AvP1 there are none in the first mission, 3 in the second (medlab), and no more than half a dozen in any of the missions that followed. By contrast I'm about 2/3 the way through the first mission in AR that has them, and I have so far killed 32 of the little fuckers.

Good news though! You do not have to fight any facehuggers in the marine campaign of AvP2 if you don't want to. There is one segment where you shut down the containment system to cause a distraction which spawns them, but you can easily get away without having to fight them, and the rest will only emerge from eggs you stray too close to. Like most other games in the franchise, eggs can be destroyed without risk of them opening. Any others are part of scripted events and will not attack you. Have fun after you reinstall AvP2 friend!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I’ve made it to the fifth level in Alien Resurrection and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a difficulty spike this dramatic before. The first 4 levels steadily increase in challenge and it would be accurate to describe them as hard, but fair.

The fifth level switches you to another character, so right away you have none of the items you’ve been collecting so far (and my Ripley is tooled the gently caress up), but it doesn’t feel like the level design takes this into account. The game throws substantially larger numbers of enemies at you with substantially less ammo available.

This wouldn’t be so bad on its own, but added into that mix are armoured human enemies packing pulse rifles and grenade launchers, lots of environmental hazards (steam, laser grids, security bots etc), and very little in the way of health pick ups. This level really starts to take the piss with facehuggers; not only do they attack in concert with adult xenomorphs, but some are placed in such a way that even if you know in advance that they’re there you will still get facehugged. On more than one occasion a facehugger would attack right as you step off a ladder before you can even turn around, or are placed so close behind a door they jump on you before the door has finished opening. Or after descending to the bottom of a ladder you turn around to find half a dozen eggs that you couldn’t see from above, and again you get swarmed before you can even react.

To top that off there are very few autodocs, so dying from a chesburster is a very real danger. Aiming on its own is very difficult as the PS1 hardware is not up to the task of rendering so many enemies at once, so there are moments when you’re being swarmed and the frame rate is down to single digits.

It honestly feels like the person in charge of the level design was an obnoxious power gamer who set out to gently caress over players as much as possible. Not only is it brutally hard, but it’s unfair and relies on constant cheap shots. I’m hoping this is an anomaly similar to Medical in Isolation because it’s so out of step with the rest of the game to this point, so I’ve activated some cheat codes to get through the really obnoxious bits, but if the rest of the game follows the same pattern I may have to retract some of the praise I gave it in my earlier post.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Syd Midnight posted:

So just for the hell of it I took the dialogue from the first battle and ran it through the GPT-2 neural network for a while to make a procedurally-generated extended scene. It had a tough time with it. fuckin chaos..
I have no idea what that ending means

My god this is brilliant.

quote:

Ash: Ripley, for God's sake, this is the first time that we've encountered a species like this. It has to go back, all sorts of tests have to be made.
Ripley: Ash, are you kidding? This thing bled acid, and who knows what it's gonna do when it's dead?
Ash: I think it's safe to assume it isn't a zombie. Dallas, it has to go back.
Dallas: Well, I'd soon as not...burn it at the stake, but you're the science officer; it's your decision, Ash.

Ripley: ...what? Ash: I know this, Ripley, and you know this, Dallas, but the team is out here and Ash can have all the evidence he needs...
Dallas: And the reason we must do this is to save the girl, Ripley.
Ripley: And do you mean to say it! We do not want her to be dead!
Dallas: We are here to save her. What we cannot do is tell her that the only way to save her is to give in to Ash's demand to put her in her coffin. Ripley... I feel I must ask you again. Ash... when did you learn that...that you and Ash can't just walk in, throw that thing of yours away, and go? Ripley: I think I remember...the last time I saw the one Ash threw away!
Ash: Just once. He said it was "good enough."
Ripley: Then he was right! Ash, how would you like for...for us to have a baby?"
Ash: Ripley, there are so many things I don't want to hear. Just listen! I don't care what they say! Just tell me! Ripley?
The twins talk about what they would have done if Ash left all the pieces in the coffin.
Ripley: No, wait! I've got news! We did it! We did it! We...
Ash starts to run from the building. Ash asks what the twins think of the way he acts.
Ash: They think I'm a complete jerk.
The two girls say Ash can handle what he goes through, but he can't handle the guilt. They make their way up a hallway. They hear a scream.
Ruby: There's something inside me.
She's crying.
Rose: I'm glad you're okay.
Giles: Are you okay! Just...what happened to Ash?
Sun: I'm glad it worked out for everyone and for me.
Sun tries to comfort Ruby.
Giles: Ruby! Don't worry. Don't worry...it'll be fine.
Giles and Summer laugh as she asks if she can keep her job. Ruby nods as though she's having a panic attack.
She asks to change into her new outfit. After that, they move into a nearby kitchen while everyone is back in their rooms discussing their plans for Team RWBY.
Sun: You know, it's weird. I'm sure my grades haven't been too bad, but...I'm not sure...I really get why I'm going to Beacon.
He asks what's wrong and Ruby says, "Well, it was something so...simple." She pauses and then suddenly stops for what felt like seconds. She slowly gets up and leans down to hug Ash. Suddenly, she sees the blood on his pants. He looks at her, and he says, "I don't know. It didn't seem right."

Actually this one is probably better.

quote:

Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert: You admire it.
Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor...unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Parker: Well, I don't. I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.
[Ripley moves to turn Ash off, but he interrupts]
Ash: Last words.
Ripley: What?

Ash: Leave right now.
Lambert: If I am not the one who's dying, there wouldn't be a need for me to save them. The way things are, I'm not doing my job at all.
Ripley: But, Ash...you are.
Ash: I am. I'm a parasite. My only task is to do the job we were assigned to do in the First Colony.
Ripley: But...you're a human...
Ash: I am not. I am an extension of the First Colony, a clone of the original.
[They look up into a mirror, looking to see themselves in a bright pink and white and pink, blue, and green.]
Ash: I understand the dilemma of the colonists. They were genetically engineered to work for humanity...
Ripley: And you've grown attached to human society, too?
Ash: I do. I've been...
[They look at each other, seeing how they have created their own lives and relationships, and now it's time to leave.]
Ash: ...and I have an appointment. And a little bit of time.
Ripley: The assignment was that we would travel to our new colony in twenty five years.
Ash: And I thought I knew what it would be like.
Ripley: But, you seem to have no ideas...
[Ripley turns to the mirror. Suddenly a young white girl appears in it and looks confused. They stare at her]
Ripley: Well, hello there.
The little girl's father: [looking through the mirror] Hey honey,
are we having dinner again? (She turns to Ripley and smiles)
She smiles back and starts to walk away.

Giles: So, what are you doing for dinner?
Gill: I'm just visiting for a little vacation, ya know, just some fun.
Giles: You've had a lot on your plate with the show you're doing.
Gill: Well, I'm not gonna forget about it now.
Giles: Yeah but it has to happen, and you've got to have some time alone.
Gill: Well, maybe we can talk to our mothers about that. (They leave)
Giles: But, we can still do some fun things together.
Gill: Well, that's not what I meant, is it?
Giles: You sure?
(They walk up the aisle to the bar)
Gill: Thanks.
(They head inside)

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Final scene of Alien: third prequel:

INTERIOR, Maternity Ward, Earth

DAVID8, LOOKING THROUGH THE GLASS AT A NEWBORN:
You see, I created her, too, with a Special Destiny to meet and overcome my Other Creation because something something thesis antithesis this is all Very Profound, Audience; are you taken in by this profoundity?

tracking shot as he looks through the glass into the nursery at a crib labelled "Ellen Ripley."

quote:

You see, I created her, too, with a Special Destiny to meet and overcome my Other Creation because something something thesis antithesis this is all Very Profound, Audience; are you taken in by this profoundity?

tracking shot as he looks through the glass into the nursery at a crib labelled "Ellen Ripley."
This is in a very, very special light and you can just see how this little girl would have taken in some very, very special information from this.

You see, there is more to Elly's Special Destiny than how well you understand it yourself. Elly may feel you must understand it in order for you to care and be loved by her but really, if you are a father, you care about your wife, your kid, your baby, and it is not that easy of a task to go on with the business of loving each other and trying to solve problems for them.

I am not telling you that Elly is perfect. There is something a little bit, what it is called, in the recesses of her being that is so much like an angel from Heaven that is quite beyond, far beyond even the very basic concept of marriage (though this child is very much within the basic...

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Beet Wagon posted:

its me, Elly Ripley

e:

These Virgin vs Chad memes are getting out of hand.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

quote:

Final scene of Alien: third prequel:

You see, I created him, too, with a Special Destiny to meet and overcome my Other Creation because something something thesis antithesis this is all Very Profound, Audience; are you taken in by this profoundity?

tracking shot as he looks through the glass into the nursery at a crib labelled "William Hudson."

David appears as "Bill Hudson; Born July 17th; Age 19. Died December 1st. Name Unknown; Height 6' 3". Hair is brown. A face without the scars and holes would indicate the death at an industrial accident; he had no arms, legs or chest. He was a bright, cheerful person. "

- Alien: Covenant:

DIALOGUE

This is a recording of a phone conversation between David and himself between 15 April and 16 April 2012. The time is approximately 1 minute and 54 seconds into this audio.

CAMERA STREAMS

This is a voice-over recording of David as he talks about his childhood, his mother and his father.

[The image of David is from the movie, Aliens.]

DIALOGUE

INTERIOR, Maternity Ward, April 16th, 2012

"I remember when I was six I was very young and there was very few things in life I missed. The first time that I went away on a honeymoon and I was five months old, I thought I was going to lose someone so I was happy to go to sleep on the bed and wake up and I saw a large golden retriever named Gus staring at me with its eyes wide open while holding my hands and I thought, 'Oh my God, this is someone I should see my father' and the next thing I knew, Gus was on top of me and he was licking my hand and trying to rub it and he was very gentle and he kept saying, 'I love you...oh my God! I love you...' and I was thinking, 'Oh, he loves me' and then I think I knew and I said, 'Gus, come in, come in, come in'.

"I told my dad what had just happened and I went right out and did some shopping and he was home and I didn't know what to think. The day that I left he went looking for me and said, 'I've got you looking good at our house and you look like a nice boy, but, you know, my mom has told me that you're going to see him as soon as possible and I think she had said this when she came back."

Not sure that Gus the Talking Dog is the right character for an Alien prequel but I’ll roll with it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hell Stink posted:

End of dream.

Sorry.

quote:

The ceiling of this cargo hold was high, extremely high, and poorly lit. Looking straight up a facehugger dropped. I couldn't raise my heavy rifle quick enough.

I fired two more shots and it got me. But then I saw a facehugger coming towards me from behind. It was too fast, so it was too easy I barely managed to move out of a prone position but I was out of shots. I'd tried. I wasn't prepared or prepared for a facehugger. It was fast and I could barely hold my rifle without dropping it. Just like before, it hit me in the forehead, it was too much. I couldn't pull the trigger, not even to try and shoot them from behind. So the shotgun started a fire, it worked, I wasn't able to shoot back but I was able to keep fire up.

This was the third time this week that we'd been ambushed and I just kept my rifle down. The next two times there had been an incident, each one ended in deaths. The last time I was with two friends. The third time it was a group of four people, just five. The last time they were on my floor and this is when I first heard my parents scream, all I could hear was my parents screaming. And now, this. They'd killed me. And now the worst thing.

I'm sitting here, in the hospital, bleeding from five gunshots in five different places and, finally, my parents, just sitting there, just waiting for this to happen to my wife. (laugh) And now, here I'm, talking to this old woman, and I'm talking to that woman who is going to be my only daughter. I'm trying to put all of this behind. But this isn't even as bad as I thought it would be. If they weren't here with me right now, I wouldn't have let it happen. I'd be just glad for nothing.

What a tragic ending. This is how it gets to me. I think there's a lot behind it. If anything, I've gotten better since all the times we saw each other as kids. But at the same time, if they had told me then, and I'm honest here, they would have told me again, "Oh, you don't want to see you kids again?" I guess I just don't want to miss them.

Probably best the dream ended where it did tbh.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ElectricSheep posted:

oh wow seeing earth hive is giving me flashbacks to high school

Jay_Zombie posted:

Same. I'm fairly certain I've read Nightmare Asylum at some point. Probably in junior high, I don't remember any detail but I distinctly remember thinking it was cool that the local library had Aliens novels.

I remember reading all three in the library at secondary school. Good books.

Had some relatively explicit sex scenes in them if I remember right.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Zombie Guy posted:

One of the books goes way into the xenos as soldiers bit. Can't remember which novel it was, but the gist was (spoilered just in case) an army guy captures a Queen, and uses her to control the drones. By threatening to burn up the Queen's eggs, the Queen is pacified, and the drones are somewhat domesticated. It gets to the point where he spraypaints unit numbers on the drones in preparation for warfare. IIRC, as the first battle is about to begin, the Queen goes "nah, we're done now", and dude gets splattered.

Sounds like Nightmare Asylum.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Final tally (minor spoilers):
KIA:
Bartolomew (Pilot) - Drowned in the ocean after being blasted by a Xenomorph
Carmichael (Company Captain) - Killed in thermonuclear explosion
Logan (Hacker) - Killed by a Xenomorph, also killed by his own friend
Claudette - Killed by being shot with a Stun Baton
Bianca - Killed by the Xenomorph's tongue after it tried to grab her
Carol (Synthetic) - Killed by the Xenomorph's tongue
Dr. Hagen - Killed by being hit by a car while trying to get the Alien to escape
James (Synthetic) - Killed when the Xenomorph bit him
Pomona - Drowned in the ocean after being blasted by a Xenomorphs egg
Mortis - Killed by his own father
Pomona (Nurse) - Shot in the head by his own father
B.O.W. - Killed by his own mother
Dr. Hagen (Alien's Dad) - Shot and killed by a Xenomorph
Dr. Hagen (Alien's Father) - Killed by a Xenomorph (After the death of his daughter, he had the Xenomorphs kill him)
Dr. Hagen (Nurse) - Killed by a Xenomorph
Mortis - Drowned

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Oh hey look what I’m going to see in March.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m replaying Alien Isolation, because it rules and you should all replay it too, and I thought I’d have a peek at the thread it had back in the day to see what the general discussion around it was like.

It is amazing just how badly Colonial Marines poisoned the well. It’s also quite notable how the thread moves from making GBS threads all over it, to cynicism, then to cautious optimism when the positive reviews start appearing, a slight hiccup as people go through medical, and then finally gushing praise. Almost like a bizarro world version of the stages of grief.

gently caress you Randy Pitchford.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Mandolorian is seriously some good sci-fi. It's what you want Star Wars to be. Only took drat near 40 years for someone to figure it out.

I couldn't stand everyone talking up the isolation game so I just got it on steam. Its gonna be weird cause I haven't played a game on my PC in ages. That thing became my wife's work computer cause of covid.

I get stressed out by games sometimes so I doubt I'm gonna be able to play it for more than a little bit at a time.

General advice - don’t crouch walk everywhere, just walk normally until the xeno or any other enemies are close. It sounds counterintuitive but honestly confidently strolling around is the best way to get through the game.

If you find such games stressful play on easy or normal. The game recommends you play on hard, but as someone who’s finished it on nightmare normal is the fairest way to go.

Be sure to update the thread when you reach the second half of mission 14, you’ll know it when you see it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The only “issue” with lifecycle mode was by the time your emerged from your victim they usually have respawned and wandered back over to their corpse just in time to blow you away once you popped out. Meaning you’d usually spend the overwhelming majority of a match as a facehugger.

Which wasn’t really a problem because playing a facehugger was fun as hell. You could opt for the solo stealthy ambush approach or just rush opponents in groups and overwhelm them.

I’ve got exceptionally fond memories of AvP2 as it was the second game I ever played online multiplayer for (Star Trek Voyager Elite Force being the first), but the first that I really got into in terms of playing online long after I’d finished the single player campaign. It was also because of AvP2 that I joined my first ever online community, namely the GameGossip/AvP forums, which I believe sadly withered away and died many years ago.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Shame they couldn’t have used Jed, the dog who played the Thing in the 1982 film to do it. Probably one of the best dog actors there’s ever been.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On a recent binge of Alien/Aliens stuff, I discovered that Alien Trilogy is actually a bad game.

:smith:

Whoa let’s not say anything we can’t take back here.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

No it really is. Shoddy, janky, inconsistent... I want to like it but holy poo poo. You move like a slug and hitboxes are just whatever the gently caress they want to be. It's crap!

I'm biased here as Alien Trilogy was both the first ever FPS I played along with being one of the first games my family actually owned...and one of the first to be played on the first console my family ever owned. Theres a lot of firsts. Not THE first mind, that goes to Bust a Move 2. Thanks mum.

Anyway, you have to remember its a product of its time, and comes from a period where FPS games were still referred to as "Doom clones". While the enemies are 2D sprites, the full 3D environments and lighting was really good looking for the time. Yes the movement and controls are so so dated, but it absolutely nails the atmosphere and as far as Alien games go its definitely up there. When I was little the swimming pool full of facehuggers on the third level was absolutely terrifying.

With that being said some of the later levels in the derelict have aged really badly, especially given the dated controls. The worst offender is the one with zig zagging walkways over acid pits.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m watching Alien with my other half and it’s depressing how many of the actors sitting around the table at the start have died. Inevitable with films this age but sad nonetheless.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Apologies if it’s been mentioned before but Aliens Fireteam is now included in GamePass, so if you was on the fence before you have no reason not to try it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

As a someone who has completed Alien Isolation many times I have to say it is remarkably satisfying getting to shred these pricks in seconds.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Whats the performance like? I'd prefer to play this on PC but my machine is pretty antiquated but still above minimum spec. Got an i5 4670k and a GTX 1070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Decided to pick up Dark Descent in the Steam sale, figured if it doesn't work well on my ancient PC then I can always refund it. I'm pleased to say that with a mixture of low and medium settings my machine (i5 4670k + GTX 1070) can usually hold around 60fps at 1080p.

Absolutely brilliant game and I'm glad I paid attention to all the positive opinions about it in this thread. Some highlights for me so far:
  • Lost a marine who's trait was "Bad Luck" on day 1 after being dragged off by a xeno, seems appropriate.
  • Lost half my squad in my first trip into a hive and just barely got the surviving half out intact.
  • Went back in with a full strength and upgrade squad and still barely completed the mission leaving all of them heavily traumatised.
  • Gave a speech to try and boose morale but it backfired and left all my marines exhausted.
  • Had a fight break out between two marines which left them exhausted also.
  • Have managed to develop a badass sniper lady but she is also heavily traumatised and takes forever to reload anything.

10/10 would bug hunt again.