Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So this is just a reminder that Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Don't even try to argue that.

I probably watch Aliens about 20 times a year. If I'm doing something on my computer I'll just put it on in the background and let it play. The director's cut has some great and very important scenes that they cut out. Like the entire reason why they went to LV-426 in the first place!!! Also the turret scene is great. It starts the beginning of the tension of them being hunted down while they're holed up.

Why aren't you watching Aliens right now?

This is also an excuse to bring up one of the best actors of all time. Bill Paxton. I was very upset to see him go, and it was due to complications from surgery. It was not his time and the dear lord stole him from us.

Paxton's character, Pvt Hudson, almost stole the movie if it wasn't a piece of god drat perfection in itself. He was the ultimate badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds
(this is first scene is from the director's cut I believe, whose loving idea was it to cut this out?) 49 pages and I finally reread the OP, this isn't true in the least bit.

So tell me goons. Now what the gently caress are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty poo poo, man! That is... unless we discuss this cinematic masterpiece.

Also, here is Michael Biehn (Hicks) saying hi to all of us.

Jay_Zombie posted:

Thinkin' bout Aliens maybe a little too hard ITT.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

feelix posted:

Aliens is a really bad movie, OP. Alien was a wonderful, unique, rich film with interesting characters, while Aliens is a lovely action movie full of cardboard cutout cliches. It's loving rear end.

You are true garbage. Get out of my thread.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Tell us more about the missing scenes, OP! Why did they go there in the first place?

So Newt's parents are surveying the land and come across the original spaceship from Alien. Welp, it does not... go... well... Scene ends with Newt screaming as a facehugger is wrapped around her dad.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Bill Paxton owns in Aliens so much. Game over, man! Paul Reiser is hilariously awesome too. I love how he plays the perfect smarmy corporate goon.

Alien is the far superior tense sci-fi thriller movie, but Aliens is fun as hell as a cheesy action flick where it goes so wrong.

Yeah you really really learn to hate Paul Reiser. He did an excellent job.

This is heresy to some but I like Aliens better than Alien. And that's because to me they are two different types of movies. Alien is a straight up horror whereas Aliens is an 80s action flick. They both hold special places in my heart.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Alien was better

No one is arguing this and Alien isn't what this thread is about. It's actually about Aliens.

Waltzing Along posted:

When you say Aliens is one of the best films ever made, how long is that list? 100? It might be in the top 100.

If it is just action films, then fine, it's top 20, no problem.

But greatest of any genre? I think it would be hard to put it in the top 100. Top 200 maybe. Top 500? Sure. Let's say it's in the top 500 films of all time. But is that really truly great?

Top 10.

edit: MY top ten

Waltzing Along posted:

Basically, what I am saying is that if you think Aliens is one of the best films of all time you need to see more movies.

I like movies, but I'll watch more. My tastes are simple. Hell, I like superhero movies. They're dumb as poo poo but fun. It doesn't have to always be an multiple award winning film. But I can also appreciate art. Sue me.

edit: Aliens was nominated or won 24 awards.

Felix posted:

dumb stupid absolute garbage bad words

You're too edgy for this thread.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mutant Headcrab posted:

A day on Something Awful is like a day on the farm. Every thread a banquet! Every post a fortune! I love the forum!

I love you. And so does Apone.

Look into my eye.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I hope you get facehugged Sid

:hmmyes:

Millions of Crows posted:

Alien and Aliens are required viewing for understanding sci fi/action/film in general from from the late 70s onwards.
Aliens is the best film from 1986, easily. What else is remembered so well from that year? What else established the space-marine aesthetic everyone is still copying? For Doom to exist you need Aliens.

Any "modern" and "gritty" space warrior is based off of the USCM (United States Colonial Marines for you plebs) (edit: also I can't back any of that up, I'm sure there were other movies that did it, that's not the point. The point is that Aliens is amazing). Not only are they a badass fighting force but they are also working for a corporation. Huh.... interesting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhaAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

wadn't funny man

In school I used to do this on my desk when I got bored. Usually with the eraser down. But sometimes when I was feeling saucy, I'd do it pencil tip down. :smug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Durzel posted:

Sometimes you just want to be enthralled from start to finish, without thinking about the villain's motivations or how the film is a modern day metaphor for foreign policy or trickle down economics or something.

Aliens is a perfectly exquisite meal that one can enjoy over and over without it being diminished in any way. I could probably recite the script to at least half the film and yet I'm never bored of watching it. It's the cinematic equivalent of a pint of beer, you've had countless ones before but the next one is just as good. Yes it's both great food and great beer.

Also the only thing decent from the Directors Cut is the sentry scenes, the rest just screws up the pacing and overexplains stuff.

I like you a whole lot.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so... we should have nuked Vietnam from orbit?

Eh, they mostly just used the Marine's attitudes after Vietnam. Going in to gently caress up some natives and getting their asses handed to them. At least that's my guess.

Julius CSAR posted:

Which also brings up one my favorite things about Aliens, all the graffiti on the armor and uniforms was done by the cast member wearing the outfit.
Michael Bhiens's painted heart with a padlock attached to it is super rad. And Vasquez's "ADIOS" on the smart-gun.

Yeah I heard about that somewhere. They were all able to gussy up their own gear. Also they went through a "boot camp" period of maybe 2 weeks where they had to do a bunch of military stuff. Probably to build camaraderie.

Julius CSAR posted:

Also, lol if you don't like Aliens

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Grape posted:

So poorly remembered that they only based an entire Starcraft unit around her.

They based a few of things around Aliens in Starcraft. One being the "Cold Fusion" cutscene where they are setting the nuke up and then the Zerg start attacking them from all angles. You can just get a sense that they picked up some stuff from Aliens.

I also believe that Brood War took some stuff from Starship Troopers. More of the big Zerg (bugs) cutscenes where they're fighting a huge army that's just rushing over them.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Aliens is awesome. Now, Aliens based video games.... Not so much.

There were some decent AvP games. Aliens vs Predator 2010 version wasn't too bad. I always hate playing the Marine though because poo poo is scary as gently caress. You can't see anything, the Predator can kill you from the other side of the map, and the xenomorph can come at you from any angle, and with friends.

Actually I enjoyed Colonial Marines. I waited a few years so they could get the bugs out but the story wasn't too bad. I have Alien: Isolation but, and I'm being dead serious here, I'm too afraid to play it.

The first AvP game that came out was loving amazing to my teenage self. My friend and I were playing it for the first time. Well it was me and him standing over my shoulder. You start out in an APC. Once you take a step outside.... beep.............. beep.............. beep........ uh oh, I'm getting scared. Beep....... beep........ beep..... poo poo. Beep.... beep.... beep..... ok what do I do now where are they? beep beep beep beep beep.....

I pointed my pulse rifle at the ground and set off a grenade. gently caress that poo poo. It was his turn.

That was also one of the first "survival" games to exist. My friend and I would do multiplayer, just him and I, and we'd do the bunker map and wave after wave of aliens come at you. Get myself a Smart Gun and go to loving town until the inevitable happens and they overrun us and take us down like Hudson in a blaze of fire.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 3, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Where's Dietrich?!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone have experience with Alien: Isolation? Is it possible for a gigantic pussy to get through it without upping my dose of a bunch of klonopin?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

etalian posted:

I remember playing the marine demo back in the day again and again. Was pretty replayable since the game uses random enemy placement which made the encounter somewhat unpredictable.

Remember the facehugger insta-kill animation?

gently caress.... facehuggers.... forever.

They're super tiny, fast, and can jump anywhere. If there was one in the room you just start emptying mags left and right while holding the back button down. Fire was the best way to deal with them. Just fill the whole god drat room with fire.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh poo poo, I didn't know there was a 1994 3D version. I was thinking of the 1999 version.

edit: nm it's in there

edit 2: oh... I see. So literally everyone who designed a facehugger in any Alien game is a loving dick.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 3, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oxballs, have you ever been mistaken for a good poster?

etalian posted:

Avp (2010) was also somewhat decent.

Colonial Marines on PC was greatly improved by the mod scene which fixed the graphic issues and many of the AI problems.

Yeah I think my favorite modern AvP game is the 2010 version. I might have to play it again.

I'm still trying to work up the balls to play Isolation. I might have to get really drunk or something, but I doubt that would help. I heard the game is fantastic.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's fair.

But the question still stands.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^ edit: VR.... I'd probably have a gun on hand to shoot myself just in case

Yeah survival games are definitely not my thing. I don't like tension at all unless it's in small doses. I just heard it was good and it's closer to Alien than Aliens so I figured it was an interesting change.

I'm just a big weenie and am literally afraid to play a game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A bit late but I'll accept it. :golfclap:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm thinking I might reinstall AvP 2010 and give that a run through. I always love being the alien. Yeah, I'm the baddie so it's less scary, but then again if someone breathes too heavily on me I burst into acid.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Everyone I’ve shown the movie to for the first time doesn’t spot that xeno until it moves and it’s great.

There’s no special effects or trickery or anything, it just blends in really well until it’s time to strike.

I believe the set/alien designs were all based after H R Giger's original Alien poo poo and it was just so organic and awesome. Right when they enter the "nest" it turns into Giger world.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's only 17 minutes longer collectively. I think it establishes some much needed information.

However. If you're watching it for the first time, yeah, you're better off with the theatrical release. But for people that have seen it 142 times, the special addition adds some more information and fun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is a classy thread bitch. About the best movie ever.

But I mean, I'm not gonna complain or anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The Pulse Rifles props were built on Thompson submachine guns. The under-barrel grenade launchers were Remington 870 shotguns with SPAS-12 parts added on.

The original props were brown, but set lighting made them look green. The green color was later adopted as the official color

Also the M56 Smart Gun was mostly based off of the MG-42 used by the German army. They used steady-cam gear to make them more.... awesome.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

onedayholiday posted:

goddamn this movie is so good. anyone who says it isn't should be forced to watch it Clockwork Orange style until they learn to love it

I kinda agree.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah AvP2 mutliplayer was excellent. I loved being an alien and scaring the living poo poo out of people. They had teams locked with certain numbers of units. Like the predators could only have 2 or something. Aliens 4 and marines 300.

skasion posted:

3 is an okay sequel to Alien, but a terrible sequel to Aliens

Alien 4 has a great cast that it wastes on dreck. Like, how do you get Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott and Brad Dourif in the same movie and still have it suck rear end.

The dialog was embarrassingly bad.

When the guy in the wheelchair pops up after they thought he was dead he actually says, "Who were you expecting? Santa Claus?!"

I just watched it about a week ago and I was cringing so bad. Terrible one liners. They seem so forced and even like Sigourney Weaver was actively not trying to say them but had to or her family would be killed.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I do like it better, I appreciate the argument for theatrical I just happen to disagree.

It does probably makes sense to see that one for the first time though.

My thoughts exactly. First time? Watch the theatrical. Want to just see more movie and a few neat things? Special Edition.

I don't have strong opinions regarding this issue cinematically. I've seen it hundreds of times so I enjoy the extra scenes. I don't care if it throws off the pacing because I've seen it all before. Only for NEW people would I even give two shits.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 4, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thing is it’s not really just extra or missing content being reinserted into the film like most special editions - it’s a complete reworking to the point both cannot be considered canon because they directly contradict each other. I remember reading the novelisation before I saw the film (the novel is basically the same as Assembly Cut) and being confused as gently caress as to why the xeno came out of a dog, and why Golic vanished out of existence.

I went from meh, I don't ever have to watch Alien 3 again to, ok this is a genuinely good movie. I don't remember what scenes were deleted but I'm pretty sure in the theaters the alien came out of a bull and not a dog. Completely changing what it should have been.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

Other way. The ox is in the assembly cut, it’s the dog in the original.

Ah right that's the one. The dog testing stuff was hilarious. It did not work out so well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

lol but seriously I posted:

should have been a twist that dog aliens come out extremely friendly and the movie is the hardened criminals protecting the xenopup from ripley's murderous & revengeful rage

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The movie Alien is on TV right now. AMC.

COINCIDENCE????

I had a nap at night which always blows so I'll probably be up really late. If that's the case I'll watch Alien later.

Durzel posted:

I'm also somewhat ashamed to say that I really struggled to play the single player as Marine.

:smith::respek::smith:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 5, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So let's go with the klonopin thing then.

I'm thinking of installing AvP 2010 tonight. That really was a decent game. I just hate playing the Marine and if you do the campaign I think you have to do that. :saddowns:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Donovan Trip posted:

Have you seen Galaxy of Horrors, OP? it's a film Cameron worked on in 1981 and is a near perfect blueprint of Aliens. HOWEVER, it's good in a terribly cheesy way instead of a classic Cinema way, like Aliens. It's interesting to see how much execution matters and in the hands of someone competent, the same story has a totally different energy. I recommend it if you are a big fan of Aliens.

Galaxy of Terror? Looks like Galaxy of Horrors came out in 2017. Neither got decent ratings but I'm well aware that that doesn't mean much.

Robert Englund is in it???? :swoon:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Alien 3 should have let Ripley, and company make it home. Weyland-Yutani does a complete PR job on the incident at LV-426. Ripley, Hicks, and Newt are made to look like mentally broken survivors of an unfortunate nuclear meltdown that wiped out the colony and the marines sent to rescue them. The plot could still do the whole prison planet thing, but up the population of the planet. Have WY bribe some corrupt government officials into letting them turn aliens lose on the prison planet in an attempt to create a giant hive.

Have Ripley discover the plot but be treated like a total nut by the media, and anyone else she tries to tell the truth. In the end you could still kill her off but it'd be far more sinister to let some WY assassin do it. After all she went through in the end Ripley gets killed by a bunch of greedy back stabbing corporate hacks for trying to whistle blow. Squeals can continue from there, eventually have the Aliens make it to earth ect...

You should write an expanded universe book.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CelticPredator posted:

It also picks up the sound on your mic if you’re using that. So you can actually call the alien to your location by saying whatever you want or farting

what the :stare:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Strange Aeon posted:

But how could you monetize the alien? Or is the idea that if Yutani had actual control over them, they could just nakedly obtain power and sic a xenomorph on anyone who got in the way?

As far as I know this was the exact idea.

In Alien Resurrection, Brad Dourif punishes one of the xenomorphs with blasts of ice cold air when they misbehave. What he was trying to do was "train" it.

My guess is that they could just drop a few xenomorphs off into wherever the enemy is and let 'em go to town.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Code Jockey posted:

yeah that's always been my thought about how to effectively use them as a weapon

or like, if the target is a space station, just send over a transport / cargo ship full of them or something

you'd need a way to kill them or pacify them when you're done though, if you wanted to actually get anything out of the place when they were done, but let's not let that little detail stop us

Yeah either two things imo. Go in and sweep up, killing all of the xenomorphs. Or maybe they get them so well trained that they can recover them. Knowing Weyland-Yutani.... they'd just kill them all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like that idea. Breed them to die quickly. I'm sure they're are a thousand different things they'd like to do to their biology. We could probably go on for hours speculating this.

Basically I just think at the superficial level... WT wants a weapon they can train to kill other people. And that's about as far as the writing goes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:aaa:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh poo poo, what do we have here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLKwrmYd6A

edit: uggghhhhh audio is off

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 6, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Segment in the making of. They all started talking about the weapons and how they were made and especially how the crew reacted to them. Here's Al Matthews mentioning some poo poo about handling guns around him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V--gH9ayR-o&t=4032s

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm not sure that's fair, they were handicapped with no live ammo at first, had a tactical doofus calling the shots, combined with poor intel.

This is the answer to the gently caress up. I bet they really were highly trained and they already mentioned at least one other deployment they've been on. Hell, Hicks falls asleep in the absolutely horrifying dropship drop because he's so experienced that it's all just routine for him.

The answer to the Marines being incredibly full of themselves and cocky is because they are Marines.

Cessna, you can back me up on this.

edit: it's because Marines are, in fact, badass

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

One of my favourite scenes is when they first start treating her with respect,

https://youtu.be/kXs1lB0y6bM

I love that too. Apone's realization and him cracking up is sort of endearing.