Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Notes, queries and corrections:

• I thought the jaw hinges of the OG Alien were made of condoms, not the lips?

• Michael Biehn got paid because he happened to find the A3 crew using a dummy of his body they’d made without permission initially. After they’d paid for the rights they used the photo.

• Bill Paxton is also super in True Lies.

• These are a series of essays on typesetting in Alien and Blade Runner. If you haven’t ever read them, do so, as they’re amazing. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/typesetinthefuture.com/2014/12/01/alien/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

VikingSkull posted:

yeah it's this

they don't have eyes, remember

The novelisation has an alien attempt to attack him while he’s in the pipe, because he’s making a lot of noise, but it doesn’t press the attack when it realises he’s not human. Caveat: I haven’t read it since 1986, apologies if I’m misremembering.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xenomrph posted:

In the original script, when Ripley, Brett, and Parker go looking for the chestburster, they were going to find that something (reads: the chestburster) had gotten into the Nostromo's food stores and gone to town.

This is in the novelisation, as is a scene where they’re just about to blow the alien out of the airlock and Ash sets off an alarm to warn it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

It always struck me as so weird that they were marketing these toys to kids based on an R-rated series. I'm not sure if that even happens anymore.

There’s got to be Deadpool toys right?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

null_pointer posted:

Random Alien question that I've always wondered about but never found an answer to:

Why was the crew of the Nostromo so bummed about having to go back into hypersleep? When Lambert tells them how long they have to go before getting back to Earth, they all collectively sigh and the mood in the room just plummets. At one point, Brett tries to put a joke on it about having to go back "to the ole' freezer-inos" but you can tell he's trying to make light of something.

Was there ever any cut scenes or backstory or anything to describe why the crew hates the thought of going back into hypersleep?

This thread being what it is, someone can correct me if I’m wrong: the novelisation (which I haven’t read for at least thirty years) has hypersleep be gooey, for want of a better word. The novelisation was based on the initial shooting script, I assume, since it contained the cocoon sequence and the airlock plan.
In the book they’re totally immersed in something like low temperature hair gel, or that poo poo from ‘The Abyss’, during hypersleep. I don’t remember if they actually breathe it, or if they have some kind of apparatus on their faces (which would be ironic), but it was described as pretty gross in the book.
The aversion to going back under might just be an artefact from an earlier version of the script where we see that it’s an icky process?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The American side of my family omit the ‘L’ in soldering, the British use it, if that helps?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pennywise the Frown posted:

American's don't omit the "L".

Do you mean soldiering? Like being a soldier?

Soddering is how my father in law says it, unless it’s a regional thing.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hell, I can't remember a single thing Ron Perlman did in that film besides not die.

He hangs upside down on a ladder firing two guns at one point, unless I’m remembering wrong.

I love watching movies like this, where you know it was only two years before ‘The Matrix’ came out and the action sucks so bad because they were relying on cgi that wasn’t quite ready for prime time: just because it makes me remember how mind blowing The Matrix was back then.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If you’ve ever had sex, cherish the memories, because you aren’t getting any more with that on your mantlepiece.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghostnuke posted:

heck yeah, I wonder if he got into the spicy stuff though. If you look at his samples on cameo now, he looks pretty out of it.

He’s an alcoholic. There’s plenty of youtubes with him talking about his recovery. He’s probably fallen off the wagon a bunch.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xenomrph posted:

But even if the characters are going “ho hum, another detour to look at space aliens” they still had never seen anything like the Xenomorph and definitely weren’t prepared for it.

They don’t take anything approaching a weapon with them to explore the ship, and when it becomes obvious they need one it takes a while to fabricate one. This isn’t a society that has had lots of encounters with dangerous life forms, as apart from the (subverted) quarantine procedure, no one acts or behaves as if there’s even a possibility of danger. I’m probably just overthinking a basic horror movie trope (lone teenager exploring weird noise in basement).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vagabundo posted:

Oh man, now I wish Paul Verhoeven had directed Alien 4

Fixed.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s done in the Godfather.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A coke spoon and a built in bong.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The level of hubris they displayed in inventing a new monster beggars belief. If your starting point isn’t an artist of the calibre of Herr Geiger, what are you even thinking? I laughed out loud in the cinema when I saw it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

purple death ray posted:

I could really see Hudson or someone having this exact backstory

It’s either that or be a supporting character in a Springsteen song.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Code Jockey posted:

oh my god that owns

adult size pattern pls

Just lol if you think there isn’t already this in a range of washable fabrics with anatomically correct genitalia and slime reservoirs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think the Aliens novelisation explicitly calls the end of the Queen’s tail a stinger.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

skasion posted:

Yeah I’m honestly kind of surprised there hasn’t been a period piece Predator yet. Ten Thousand Predators BC. Prædator. Crusadator. Aztec vs Predator.

Schindler’s List but with Predators instead of Nazis

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

We were sitting right next to each other since we were using the ol' router and I kept being creepy. He backed into a corner, right below the shaft, and was frantically looking around. I came down the shaft a little until my jaws opened up and BOOM. He screamed. It was great.

This probably sounded different in your head.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hick’s “How long ‘til it blows?” is a masterpiece of resignation.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jay_Zombie posted:

See also:
Christopher Walken
Christolph Waltz
John Goodman

Add Harry Dean Stanton to this list.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“… but secreted from what?”.
“Its penis. Or cloaca. Definitely its wing wang or hoohoo.”

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vagabundo posted:

I consider them to be akin to stuff like Superman: Red Son or The Dark Knight Returns - other universe tales that while are still part of the Alien films, are only tangential to the overall lore of the series.

I wanted to like Prometheus, but I hated it it the first time I saw it. I rewatched it again last year, and I found my opinion on it has softened somewhat, although I still think it's pretty loving weak.

IMO, the strengths are (in no particular order):

1. The creature designs and practical effects
2. The body horror aspect of the film
3. The exploration of the temple is actually pretty neat
4. The haunted house in space angle it takes on
5. I liked Marc Streitenfeld's score

And its major weaknesses (also, in no particular order):
1. The characters are more poorly drawn out caricatures. The film is also hurt by the fact that Shaw is a fundamentally boring wet blanket of a character, and while I suppose Holloway is meant to be unlikeable, they lean way too much into it. The guy's just a complete oval office to David for no reason.
2. The major plot points that are meant to be profound or meaningful, but are never given enough time or gravity to be meaningful. Case in point "OMG Vickers was Weyland's daughter!" or "Old man Weyland was alive and secretly on the ship the whole time!" Because neither really get any significant follow-up, it's like "who cares?" No one onscreen seems to.
3. The film collapses in on itself in the final act, when its attempt at profundity ends up becoming an overreach. It's like the film is trying to convey all these ideas, and never quite sticks the landing anywhere.

The whole "why did David know what would happen if he put the black goo in Holloway's drink?" criticism that I remember popping up back then though, IMO, was bullshit. It's loving obvious David had no idea what would happen, he just knew it would be something bad, and he wanted to find out what that would be. Plus, gently caress Holloway, so why not use that shitcunt for such an experiment.

gendered slurs. more than one in fact.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
https://www.thewrap.com/syd-mead-blade-runner-and-aliens-concept-artist-and-futurist-dies-at-86/

Rip Syd Mead, you were a real one :sadwave:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The dropship is parked elsewhere according to the novelisation, on a landing pad I want to say? It’s been a long time.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I loving love the music from the prom also, for such a seemingly throwaway scene it's really stuck with me.

https://youtu.be/JOwtI8nLXIc
Maybe because Bowie owns?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Buttigieg 2020
A Perfect Organism

I already use ‘his structural perfection is only matched by his hostility’ to refer to my shiba inu when people try to pet him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They appear to have tried to retcon the first point by giving terminators the ability to sense time disruptions or some poo poo in the new movie, so Carl sends the coordinates of arriving terminators to Sarah to give her some purpose in life. I’ll leave it to you to judge wether this is satisfying or not.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The magic land of Tir Nan Og?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wutang-Yutani posted:

Have you guys been taking about Aliens (the movie) for 121 pages?

Everything in the Alien canon really. Also The Thing, Predator, Terminator and Starship Troopers make appearances.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Fans of Michael Biehn (who comes up in this thread a lot) can be happy, he just got cast in season two of The Mandalorian: I wasn’t crazy about the show, but I’m glad he caught a break on a big project like this.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

I can't believe I haven't been banned from the IDF twitter page. Every once in a while I like to remind them that they murder children.

No such thing as bad publicity. They get to ignore you and seem above replying to such base allegations from a grunt (no offence), while simultaneously cultivating a reputation for being willing to do literally anything.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ripley promised her ten year old daughter that she'd be home for her 11th birthday so we can assume FTL travel with no weird time dilation relativistic effects.

It’s this, I think. There’s no visual indication at the beginning of the movie they’re at ‘warp speed’, but they are. The Nostromo ships metal or whatever back to Earth, they aren’t doing this to benefit people thousands of years in the future. They get in the truck, drive to Sirius to pick up a load, and drive back in time for Xmas. Time not at ‘warp’ leads to the conversation about the LV426 trip adding 8 months to their travel back.

Arcturus, home of the infamous poontang, is a 75 year journey at .5c, and the marines in Aliens refer to it like it’s a trip to Coney Island.

The answer to your question is almost anthropic: the story requires that people come and go as they please around the galaxy, so they do. Trying to explain things gives us loving Prometheus and Covenant.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

HiroProtagonist posted:

Saw this this morning and thought of this thread (and also Alien[s]).

I’m always annoyed at Ash dropping “You do your job, and I’ll do mine” on Ripley like it’s some sick own, when in fact she was and he wasn’t.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I get extremely anxious just watching let’s plays of it on youtube, actually playing it will never happen.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I shall be watching Alien this Wednesday with my wife, who has never seen it, and is a big fraidy cat.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

You have to let us know how that goes. The opening of the eyes.

If I could find a way to rig a camera I would.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Count me among the ‘watched Alien at ten with my dad at midnight’ crew. Kids with a regular upbringing love being scared when there’s no actual danger, it’s a formative part of growing up, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So it turns out my wife wasn’t that freaked out by Alien! In fact she only jumped at the two cat scares. Random quotes: as Brett leaves to find Jonesy “Don’t split up the party! You never split up the party.” “Whoever did the production design on this had a really clear idea of what the future was going to look like”.