Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I like Alien for what it is, I like Aliens for what it is. 3 has some actual good parts in it but is a mess due to everything it went through, Resurrection uses the word Resurrection in it's title therefore dooming it to be poo poo.

One of the things I like about the aliens but is seldom touched on is that the host they are born from may actually influence the alien. Kane liked Lambert in the original (according to various tidbits that later came out above the movie), now when the creature finds Lambert later in a deleted scene it does this bizarre walk towards her on all fours while it's tail is pointed upward, it was ditched for looking goofy but it's one more sexual reference that can be taken from Alien. It supposedly acted that way because of Kanes sexual attraction towards Lambert being imprinted onto the alien itself. In Aliens we get another moment of how you can see a host might have influenced a creature by them cutting the power, how would it know to cut the power or what power even is exactly. From the host is the answer. Perhaps not the exact technical know how, but the idea or skewed perception of severing some wires might make things darker and causing problems for the humans. Might be the host helps influence an aliens intelligence.

Always loved the alien nest in the original movie, the idea that an Alien could produce an egg from a person, it adds to the overall "alien" nature with it being something different to what we know and understand. A Queen, a nest, warriors etc always made it felt like the Aliens got shoe horned into an ant comparison and took away some of that unknown of what they could do or be capable of. The body horror of being dissolved and reshaped into this thing that would try and give birth to another that would face hug someone, that's pretty nightmareish. It fits perfectly.

Ripley being able to make it right into the nest and face the Queen herself is a pretty good indication by that point most of the aliens were dead, be it due to colonist fighting back or the marines inflicting enough damage overall. Saw a youtube vid not that long ago touched on this and the colonist numbers that explained it pretty good. If I remembered what one I'd link it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So is there anything to say that the derelict ship was destroyed or not. Some say the thermonuclear explosion destroyed it but we know the ship wasn't remotely near the settlement. People had been on the world for over two decades and never once came across it, nor did any fly overs or surveys even see it so it stands to say it must had been in a rather isolated spot far off. They only found it because Burke informed them of the exact location coordinates due to the previous discovery of it, and if it wasn't destroyed.....well, after Aliens you can bet they'd send more to investigate what happened. That means looking over what Burke sent transmission wise, knowing where he sent the colonist to look.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That sounds like one comic which had a bunch of lepers impregnated with Aliens but due to their condition the Aliens weren't fully born or they were put into a coma like state unless the body was killed. Due to carrying Aliens the lepers could walk right up to an full adult Alien and slap them and get little more than a hiss in return.

It also had a synth that was born of both machine and alien DNA, kinda beat the whole David thing by a good many years. She had a connection to the Aliens and the lepers and were fiercely protective of both due to that Alien influence, they were both her hive in a sense. I heard she shows up in an Alien Vs Predator story later on but never read it. But then a lot of the comic stuff is kind of trash, bad stories, bad art or just repeating the same old thing as time went on. The Earth War stuff certain went places. Not to mention had to retcon Ripley, Newt and Hicks into brand new characters once Aliens 3 happened.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So what's the opinion of folks about the derelict or others of it's kind being either constructed, grown or a little of both? We know it's tough, if one takes Prometheus into account the drat thing can take another ship crashing into it at great speed only to explode and the alien craft will show no outward damage. It got knocked back planetside but if actually damaged or not isn't exactly clear.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Reading through some of the comics and I'm reminded of one thing.

I really hate that the aliens get classified as bugs so often. It feels like a huge simplification and really dumbs down what they are if not de mystifies what they are, intelligent creatures that can and will surprise you in the worse ways possible. Especially when you consider that they might have memories or some aspect of the person that had been impregnated allowing them to do all sorts of things you wouldn't expect, like cutting the power. Hell the first alien "liking" Lambert due to Kane having a thing for her makes them all the more creepy when such traits are carried on from host to alien, it's a pity they didn't really do more with that.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Owlbear Camus posted:

So, I like this read, I'll probably do something with it in my TTRPG... but is this textual in the movie?

I honestly didn't pick up a ton of romance unrequited or otherwise among the crew. I know there was a cut scene foreshadowing the Ash reveal where Lambert and Ripley are talking about how he never sleeps with anyone, unusual among the libertine crew.

It's mostly in material about the movie. There is one cut scene you can see on youtube that features this weird walk on all fours it does towards her with it's tail raised up between it's legs, it was cut for looking.....well stupid but yeah the basic principal was it was due to Kane's feelings being somewhat carried through trough to the alien in a horrifying manner. It might even play into her death as you see it's tail rising up around her legs. But yeah it's not something that really gets touched on much unfortunately.

Some of the other material about the movie is that such crews like those on the Nostromo tends to screw around, like literally, I mean what else are you going to do in space on long voyages? Especially when crew mates may change. I think Ripley even ask Lambert about Ash which might be a hint towards that.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Looks like there's a The Making of Aliens book out on May fifth, so if you want it use some of that Force the day before to make it happen.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Luke, use the Force to think about Aliens

Truly the best thing to use the Force for!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I have a confession to make.

Resurrection was the first movie I ever saw on the big screen.

I still have no idea how Ripley's DNA can enable an Alien queen to be born in her as well. drat Hollywood sci fi wackiness.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Jay_Zombie posted:

Shoot his bollocks off. That'll teach him!

It wouldn't. They'd grow back. No seriously. There was a comic book follow up to Salvation of course and Marcus comes back, his body regrew a new heart. So yeah, his body has a healing factor going on, only it's not speedy.

And on that fun fact back to Aliens.

So I was looking at my copy of The book of Alien Augmented Reality Survival Manual and it basically straight up says yeah the company knew about the alien ship, they even had decoded the warning. Ash was straight up put there for that purpose. I know most of us thought that was the case but it's the first time I've seen anything official to actually confirm it to be true. Kinda surprised me as didn't expect that. Oh and turns out Kane had a serious drug and alcoholic problem that lead to him to getting stuck on the ship, probably after a bunch of gently caress ups.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

mind the walrus posted:

Did anyone actually read Green Lantern vs. Aliens? It was Kyle Rayner back in the late 90s and I regret not really digging into it when I had the chance.

Kyle was the best Green Lantern, and this was a good book.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I liked the Thing prequel, sure they screwed up by not using the practical effects but overall despite a few issues it wasn't too bad. The greatest problem it has is that there's almost zero way to ever match the original due to peoples perceptions of that film so it's always going to come off as a poor follow up.

Speaking of the Thing, I remember hearing once someone wrote up a story from the Things perspective, it even won an award. Anyone ever read that?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Awesome, thanks.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I purchased this Alien Queen a few months ago:

It's great.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Cartoons these days suck. They're all for babies. Including anime. Well that's for creepy grown men.

Try the Venture Bros.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
You know there was a pretty drat good Aliens game on the DS called Aliens Infestation. You played as the marines, you had four or five, one die? He dead fool, then you use one of the others. There were others you could find and get to join you as well.

I made it to the final Alien Queen, never beat her, somehow I got knocked through the ship and into space and figured, well fine, let the Aliens win. About time they spaced someone, even if it was thanks to another kind of bug entirely.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
In the comics you some times see strange Alien types, there were giant whale like aliens in one. How do they get impregnated? I figure whales or other giant creatures are so big the drat thing simply goes into their mouth and pop out the alien embryo from the inside. No face hugging needed.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Fassbender is definitely the best thing about the two prequels.

The focus on David and what he does however is also one of the main reasons the second prequel sucked so bad.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
You know Covenant might have been better if the crew were constantly running into the results of Davids tinkerings or evidence something was going on without really finding him, he would have been in essence the Alien hidden away helping to get them killed only to pull a switch a roo with Walter at the end to continue his devious works without anyone being the wiser. No don't let the bed bugs bite scene only a malevolent grin on his face.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
He wasn't an alien! Maybe.

Speakings of Aliens one thing really aged badly and I can't imagine being good to begin with.

Destruction of the Nostromo cost a vast..........42 million dollars in adjusted dollars. Not counting payload. Earth must have had gone through a serious financial meltdown that re established what value in the dollar was.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I wonder how many people know if you watch Aliens right after the end credits you can hear an alien egg open.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 10, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Shaocaholica posted:

Title credits?

Opps, I mean end credits.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
God drat that's a whole lot of concentrated awesome.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Avatar was a perfectly fine movie, it was enjoyable and lovely to look at. It tends to get a bit more hate than it deserves, not mind blowing but not worth the hate either.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So would anyone be horribly upset if they upended what we know about the Aliens and show there is much more to them undiscovered? Have them be able to create eggs from people ala that cut scene, show that they can infect people ala the black spores from the prequels movies or behave in ways that doesn't always match how they were in Aliens, have them be more methodical and able to show that they can make use of the knowledge or memories of the people they came from which has only been hinted at. Basically not acidic ants needing their queen but something more.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Why not, they already treat any continuity like toilet paper with pretty much everything since Aliens.

It's mostly about adding some mystery to them and making them less insectish.

Also:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Shaocaholica posted:

Y'all missing the forrest for the trees

Species was a good movie. Also the actress is a very nice woman, saw her at a con once and she was down to earth as you could possibly be, even filled in for someone that had to leave for a stage session of questions and answers.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Secreted.....secreted from what?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://www.ign.com/articles/alien-predator-marvel-comics-xenomorph-iron-man-avengers

Marvel gets the license to Aliens and Predator.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Oh poo poo. I say we take up a collection, bid on it. If we win we can hold a contest where we see who can spit acid and bite someones face off the best, the winner gets to keep it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Xenomrph posted:

Might as well not waste everyone’s time and just give it to me. :smug:

Well shieeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

ProperCoochie posted:

On YouTube, Oliver Harper posted a review/retrospective of Predators yesterday. His r/r vids are always good, I especially enjoy his Alien 3 one.

The man does great work, love his vids.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Devol_Tettran posted:

He's a great editor, but dropped two of his friends for a sniff of fame (and money?) as soon as his Action Heroes doc picked up traction, so less of a good person.

(Richard Jackson and Duncan Casey do stuff on Youtube/Twitch as ValVerde Broadcasting if anyone wonders where they went)

Oh what's the story here, you got me very curious.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Just watched a vid about the back stories of ten characters in movies and one of them was about Lambert, remember how in Aliens while Ripley was dealing with the people from the company we see pictures of the Nostromo crew on a screen behind her and various text about them. Now the text was too blurry to read at the time about what was said about each person but the complete text was eventually released and turns out Lambert is transgender or as the text said a male to female convert. That's one tidbit never heard about before until today.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The first comic issue of Alien - The Original Screenplay came out today, it has some of the same beats as the main movie we know and love but a lot is different from the characters to their ship being called Snark. Yeah, really. The Alien ship is different and so is the space jockey who can be seen on the cover:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Predators was great.

Fight me.

It's definitely one of the better Predator sequels. I quite like the first half and even a lot of the second half but it feels like the film runs into a wall when Lawrence Fishbournes character shows up.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Mister Speaker posted:

Just like Dallas!

I had a similar experience and it's really a great testament to how the xeno AI in the game adapts to your behaviour and favourite hiding places. My first playthrough - coward that I, am I was on the easiest difficulty - I also thought the vents were a safe space because I'd spent the entire game crouching and moving slowly anyway. That changed on the very last part of the game (the room is on fire, there's a large vent system underneath the place, there are at least two xenos and I think their perception is buffed). Jump scares rarely do it for me; nothing in Dead Space 2 made me flinch at all, but no word a lie when I turned around to the alien clambering up on me, I screamed and threw down the PS4 controller.

The higher difficulties are a nightmare.

The Alien AI is actually two AI's. There's the Alien itself but there's a second secret one that gives the Alien AI clues to where you are. So if you ever thought to yourself it seems to know where I'am but at the same doesn't that's the reason for it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Terrible snipe crosspost from the DeviantArt thread incoming

If a facehugger hugged your butt where would the poo-covered chestburster come out? The small of your back? Would it be able to survive in an intestine like a tapeworm or could you poop yourself to safety?

If a facehugger couldn't get to the mouth it probably would go for the next best hole and that would likely be the rear end.

Safety tip, keep clenched.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 25, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If it had no alternative.

Which raises a question, say if a facehugger encountered an animal that didn't have the usual biology for it to insert it's appendage would it actually create a hole into the creature, similar to how it melted peoples helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wintermutant posted:

We're not the only ones thinking about Aliens:

https://www.cnet.com/news/alien-tv-series-announced-for-fx/

I don't like the sound of it being set on Earth in the near-future but we'll see how it goes

It could work. With the right people anything can.

I'll hold out hope they stick the execution and landing.