Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
they mostly come out at night

mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Colette Hiller as Corporal Ferro, the dropship pilot, is probably the best character of all the Marines and no one remembers her

we're in the pipe, 5 by 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vESxCZe0HA

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I'm weird though, I like Alien more because it's a slow burn

same reason I like the first Mad Max the best, too

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

skasion posted:

Alien is better than Aliens, but no way is Mad Max better than Road Warrior

that is not an argument I can make in good faith

road warrior is real good but Bubba Zanetti and the Toecutter are the best villains in the whole franchise

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Kuato posted:

Aliens is easily the best film of all time. Glad to see an aliens thread in ol gibbis

that's actually Predator

Grape posted:

So poorly remembered that they only based an entire Starcraft unit around her.

I never played Starcraft

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Predator is so good because they had the second unit director shoot the first action scene so it looks like a typical Arnie action flick and then BOOM you're in the best loving slasher movie of the 80's with skinned people hanging from trees, CONTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACT and Billy standing on a log carving his chest with what's basically a sword

it's really good

e- and it has the best score, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnAxydhZ8M

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah I mean the main antagonist being a corporation who wants to somehow harness the power of the alien as a weapon is kind of strange if you really focus on it. Like, of course their hubris in trying to control the uncontrollable gets their representatives killed but also causes a lot of havoc for innocent people to make sure we know they're evil.

But how could you monetize the alien? Or is the idea that if Yutani had actual control over them, they could just nakedly obtain power and sic a xenomorph on anyone who got in the way?

they wanted them for biowarfare

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This was a huge thing that bothered me with Prometheus and Covenant. Visually, it looks like they have more advanced technology that in all of the other movies. I mean, come on we're on a timeline here. It would have made it much more gritty and less clean if they used CRT and other older poo poo. Make the movie what it is. A prequel. Back in time. Before the other movies were made with their advanced technology. Ugh.

I think the CRT stuff in the original movies still works because of course that's what a space bulldozer would have

seriously, get in a bulldozer or big truck today and it's still all analog gauges and levers, so space CRT's make a certain kind of sense even if we have smart phones

it actually enhances the vibe because of the industrial look

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
yeah it's one of those things, like maybe it's easier to make lcd's on Earth and it's expensive to get them to an orbital shipyard, so only smaller craft and high end stuff has them, meanwhile you can make vacuum tubes out of poo poo in the asteroid belt really cheap

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
yeah I mean the Nostromo is literally a space tractor

like it gets said alot in regards to the roles the characters play but for real they are on a gigantic space tractor

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

One of favorite things about Alien, even from when I was a little kid that didn't know much about the world, was that the crew on the ship were just average schlubbs. Basically truckers in outer space, and I could never shake the feeling of how loving screwed over by their company these dudes on the lowest rung of the totem pole get. Like, they don't know what's on the planet, they don't know that the ship's computer has been programmed to not give a poo poo about them. They don't know that their on board physician, the man they rely on for their very health and well being, is also a computer that does not give a gently caress about them, and actually quite the opposite really. As crazy as the chestburster scene is, Yaphet Kotto yelling "ASH IS A GODDAMNED ROBOT!" is almost more unnerving, espc considering it follows hotly on the footsteps of Ash shoving that magazine down Ripley's throat, which stuck with me for a very long time.

Probably also why I enjoy Ripley's line in Aliens to Burke "You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage" so much.

loving hell Ash creeps me out. Loved the guy in the office chair in isolation with the rolled up magazine in his throat you can randomly find, which confirmed for me beyond a doubt that the robots were for sure evil.

like, I gotta go back to my point, it's not even a space truck, it's a space tractor

they are towing a giant refinery, not cargo, and calling it a truck gives a certain feeling of the open road and with it a sense of freedom

these people are all heavy equipment operators at an industrial site that just happens to move on its own, and it conveys a very different feeling to them. they don't just travel from point a to point b, which is why the detour is so meaningful

e- like, a truck has a cargo, and the driver of the truck may, over a lifetime, be worth more than the cargo, so they are worth saving..... that refinery is worth more than the crew on just that one trip, which sets up the fact that the thing most important to the story is what's on the ship and also why the crew is expendable

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 10, 2019

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
If anyone wants the SS13 experience but at a slightly more, uh, manageable level try out Rimworld, it's great. You can harvest organs and make space crack

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

frogge posted:

I've been showing my girlfriend the aliens franchise because of this thread and so we watched Alien first. She'd never seen it before and she guessed most of what was going to happen next. It kind of made me realize how different pacing in movies was back then compared to more recent films. Aliens later this week. I can't wait.

I trust that you explained to her that the reason she recognized the pacing is because the movies that informed her of it were ripping off Alien

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Earth as a planetwise quarantine zone/prison, full of dangerous monsters and scattered tribes of humanty would be a cool predator premise.

that's literally what we are in that universe

you know how rich fucks go and shoot elk in Africa? that's us, we're the elk

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Fish of hemp posted:

Rich people. Money buys you everything.

the wizard person was right they dont have elk in africa really

i was thinking of antelope

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Splicer posted:

Which is what the predators did with the aliens in avp so it really was a good analogy

oh poo poo that's right

didn't the lead lady in that book have a katana

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Splicer posted:

At some point in the past 30 years people forgot how to make horror or action films with coherent storylines. A series of unconnected action sequences showing off your sub-par CGI is not the same as a plot.

Also when did the IDF become a fetish.

Dredd and Fury Road at least keep the hope alive

Fury Road is like a fever dream of an 80's action movie and Dredd straight up could have been a Kurt Russel movie in 1984

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Dredd was loving amazing. I just watched it again a few days ago in fact.

I have a man-crush on Karl Urban. He's perfect for the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJH-zUYOoc

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Literally every scene in the movie makes it a cool movie.

Predator 2 only looks bad because it's the sequel to the best action movie ever

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

A Strange Aeon posted:

I haven't seen them recently enough but would love this thread's take on the RoboCop trilogy. I had a RoboCop vs the Terminator comic by Frank Miller I think as a kid and it was really awesome.

robocop is like mad max

the first two own and the third is the disney adaption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

gary oldmans diary posted:

to an alien he might look and smell more like an inanimate object or just the landscape than something to hunt. but if he made a bunch of noise that would be different

yeah it's this

they don't have eyes, remember