Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Just thinkin' 'bout premiers...

https://twitter.com/Ruby_Stevens/status/1283423321388994560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

PeterCat posted:

Thinking about how prissy and effeminate Ash's outfit is.
It's a speed suit!
-Dr. Venture

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

...forbidden donut...

I can only imagine the level of preservatives packed into a contraband pastry to make the haul out to the colonies. Then again, people are still smoking. The 2170s were a hell of a decade.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

How long after we're declared stale can we expect a restock?

Seventeen days.

Seventeen *days*? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Well, that explains it then. The A2s always were a bit twitchy. That could never happen now with our temperature regulators. It is impossible for me to burn or by omission of action, allow to be burned, a batch of cookies.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hopefully Homes didn't get the full series scripts and had to draw his self-insert getting embarrassingly mutilated in the finale.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Thanks, OSHA thread!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Alien: donut
Aliens: box of Timbits
Alien 3: brookie
Alien Resurrection: croissant

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

License managers are the dumbest motherfuckers in the licensor's company without fail. Something been meticulously researched and well within canon? 'I'm not too sure about this...' Something completely hosed up that people will lose their poo poo over when it gets published? 'Looks great, go to press!' I have a feeling like most of them get the license approval job because they have hosed up enough other jobs that they get bounced there and people figure they can't gently caress things up too badly.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Rascar Capac posted:

Xenomorph Runner in the bottom right looks like it's just received some bad news.
They all kinda look like they are working through some things.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Young Freud posted:

It had made me initially wonder the feasibility of even weaponizing the xenomorphs, especially in an corporate ecosystem that can develop and distribute weaponry rapidly. Like WY develops the xenomorph into a reliable bioweapon, there's nothing stopping a competitor to developing and fielding a synths or a cyborg or a mech suit that counters them, especially something that ends up cheaper (since pretty much all attempts to get to the "reliable" part fail).

Does WY even have a competitor? They seem pretty dominant in the media I can think of, but xenomorphs are kind of their pet obsession, so the stories tend to have a limited focus. Guess it is possible that General Farms is the big dog wherever the other side of the galactic ring is, they are just too far out to hear about.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Classic 80s valley girls.

'Like, Becky just like GRABBED the Colonial Marine I had been like STALKING for like HOURS, and then just like TORE it in half instead of like COCOONING it... What a BITCH.'

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I thought I read somewhere that the (in universe) assumption that the way they worked is that they were essentially living batteries (since, y'know, they hadn't had much chance to get a hold of one to see how it ticks...). They were chock-full of battery acid and just needed light/heat/some kind of energy to get the cycle started, and if they didn't have it they would run out and hibernate until they charged back up again. They didn't really need to eat, as much as get resources to make their outer carapace and then they were essentially good. Another thing that comes to mind is a foggy memory of an Alien script draft where Brett finds some poo poo like cables with the insulation stripped off that the Alien ate because it needed whatever to grow.

Given how long I have had that head canon, I am guessing that I likely got it from some old-rear end Dark Horse Aliens comic since there was gently caress all other media out other than the movies.

Tinkin' 'bout dem ding-dong Aleens (an' how dey work...)

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus, did they do that in Solo? I thought it was bad enough when the marketing was all "Learn how Han Solo got his name!" A question I don't think anyone had ever thought to ask, and if they did would probably have answered with "I guess Mr and Mrs Solo liked the name 'Han.'"

That is my go-to complaint about that movie. EVERYgoddamnTHING we know about the backstory is explained in like three days or whatever (other than him enlisting and getting the surname Solo). After a whirlwind like that no wonder dude was so burnt-out and jaded. The OG trilogy definitely have an Uncle Rico 'watch me throw this football over that mountain' vibe to him now.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

Compare and contrast that to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy gets literally every character trait and iconic piece of equipment over the course of like 15 minutes during the opening of the movie.

Harrison Ford characters ain’t got time for this poo poo, man! You want a loving Deckard origin story? Too bad, you blinked and missed it!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

Eh I dunno, I liked ‘Solo’ :shobon:

For as much as I complain about it being Han's Best Weekend EVAR!®, I'd personally put it in my top half, third, I dunno... of those crazy Star Wars. I would also KILL to see the Lord Miller cut/version, like thinking about what could have been if they had let Neill Blomkamp loose on Alienses.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, Bishop was full of dairy, but at that point the android tech had been established and was a decent enough shorthand for gore for them to get away with.

Now that I think about it, Aliens doesn't really have as much gore as you might expect for a flick like that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the Chestbursters neither of the first two flicks is nearly half as gory as the reputation would suggest. Even for their time.
Yeah, when I was thinkin' 'bout them Aliens and what the bloodiest scenes were, the only one that really came to mind was Kane.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL, X-Men already had The Brood when they did their crazy Claremont Shi'ar space adventures. Featuring such highlights (going off of my comics-addled memory...) as Wolverine's healing factor rejecting the Brood totally not a facehugger and Psylocke (before she was a ninja) mentally fighting the Brood Queen via her implant (that one I am a bit more vague on, but sounds 'right' in terms of how that character was treated). Can't wait to find the wiki entry on that storyline to see how close/way the gently caress off I was on that. Y'know, since I can't be bothered to get the comics out of the garage and go down that rabbit hole...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck Haspulse, but that price is legit like half what I expected it to be.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Point Break, but Patrick Swazye is actually a Predator. He pulls off the Reagan mask... then pulls off a Swayze mask.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Babby Ash still looks shifty as gently caress. Don't trust 'im...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Lil' Parker looks like he just stole the cookie jar out of the Nostromo's galley, and snuck it down to him and Brett's hideout :v:

They probably have a sick treehouse down there.

'NO ZEENOS ALLOWƎD!'

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

its xenos
should I be upset that you spelled it wrong

:thejoke:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The dude standing on the cooler so the chain link fence won't gently caress with his sweet camcorder skillz gets me EVERY time...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why the gently caress wasnt covenant just naomi rapace exploring space with michael fassbenders head in a bowling ball bag

Was she shomer shabbos?

She doesn't work, doesn't drive an M577, doesn't loving ride in a M577, doesn't handle full shares, doesn't turn on the uplink tower, and sure as poo poo *doesn't loving explore space*!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Good thing Skynet never watched any Cronenberg flicks.

'What if the gun was made of MEAT? And the bullets were TEETH? And the bones were their MONEY?'

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Considering how much all the other food supplies cost, he ain't gonna pass up free water!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

That 'smartgun' is just baffling. A lot of work for... what?

That SmallRig harness is made for phones and DSLR bodies, so the shotgun probably cost more than it did. The shotgun does have a pretty impressive rate of fire, but why wouldn't you just get a replica MG42 and have something that makes more sense to have an armature assist.

Just all around :psyboom:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I like how Vasquez was hardcore enough to have a spare for her spare and Drake was the dude that would be like 'yo, lemme copy your homework.'

Guess that is how she almost got off that rock.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That movie is awful and so is the country it's set in.

Earth? Man, what a shithole...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Those doughnuts are hella stale now.

Also, #RIP hamsters.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, some people like it, and I've had these same discussions at much greater length over on BGG with people who swear they love it. But it's just so odd as it's by Gale Force 9 and they have put out a ton of good games, and it seemed to have a long development cycle.

After Sean Sweigart died and Aaron Dill left, there was a pretty significant drop in the quality of their games.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am really not sure what to tell you if "The 90s" And "Giger" bring up anything other than Tool in your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrRoDd9CxM

Carcass? If you had said 'the 80s', then Celtic Frost.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

What would the big musical numbers be?

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible

'Right'
'Riiiiight'
'Right (reprise)'

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Ferro, I am always getting hosed over by my co-workers.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

I like to think that Alien, Predator and Sweet Home Alabama take place in the same universe.

PROVE THAT IT DOESN'T, NAYSAYERS. PROVE THAT IT DOESN'T.

It gets hot as gently caress down south, I am sure Yautja LOVE Alabama, just the ones that go there are big into college football.

'clickclickclick Boomer Sooner...'

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought of all that but I think we could work around it and the story of how she survived has never really been told as far as I know. If they got creative with it, I could see it working somehow and who says she can't craft things?

I guess what I'm really saying is that I want a sequel to that game and Newt is as good a place to start as anything else I can think of.

The what now?

Home Alone 426

‘Keep the change, ya filthy Xenos!’

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Azubah posted:

That sounds more like an interactive story than an Isolation follow up.

Do an 80s platformer where every level Newt is teamed up with another colonist, but the other one gets facehugged at the end of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

The one good thing about the cancellation is that Derek's death was one of the best deaths I've seen in a TV show and it probably wouldn't have happened if the show was renewed.

If I remember, that last season was a miracle that it even happened in the first place, so thankful for all that, but when that scene happened that was pretty definite in that they weren't coming back.

Which sucks because they set up a bunch of poo poo that would have been good threads for at least another season or two.

Every now and again when someone talks about a character getting written out or a show ending I'll think about that scene in particular and just darkly laugh to myself.