Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Remulak posted:

And with Return of the Living Dead we’re back to Dan O’Bannon. What a great movie with so many unforgettable scenes AND one of the three best soundtrack albums of the entire decade.

Other two being Purple Rain and Repo Man, with Heavy Metal, Drugstore Cowboy, and This is Spinal Tap as honorable mentions.

Not Hardware?? For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Per request, I’m x-posting this from the cosplay thread.

Doctor Zero posted:

Proving that I have more money than sense, I now have the most accurate Colonial Marines armor you can get without owning an original set. I'm 3d printing a shoulder lamp right now, and modifying / fixing / upgrading the resin pulse rifle I bought waaaaaaay back when no companies were making replicas. I can post pics of all that jazz and I can also answer questions about the armor. Are people interested?

Do you recognize this man?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ChickenHeart posted:

Is that mother-fukken Terry English

Yes! :swoon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Micro. Changes.

In air density.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

you will want to look at this guys scale model APC, as he was thinking about aliens on a level we cannot even comprehend:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/594532837265674/posts/7519695934749295/

Meh, the soldier vitals are all the same just out of sync. 2/10.

:aaaaa: :wow: :perfect: :monocle:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

She did that as a distraction anyway and afterwards he called her out on it.

But still, if Dance were to ask me to dance, I'd do the Waltz.

Yeah, exactly. Humans getting all horny and wanting to gently caress after life threatening trauma is an actual Thing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redshirt posted:

Are there any generally successful techniques to survive xeno encounters?

I understand the words, just not in that order.

Seriously though, one of the themes of the Aliens movies is people mostly don't survive. Mostly. Even the ones who live are all kinds of hosed up afterward.

I would say the tenets of an Alien move are:
1. You never know what you're walking into
2. You never have enough equipment / supplies
3. The xenos always find a way to gently caress up your plans or get into the worst possible place to be (for you)
4. (almost) Everyone dies

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redshirt posted:

This is why we need to bring one back to Earth. To study!

:hmmyes: Would you like to apply to the WeylandYutani Biowea.... errrr... Research Division?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah they exchanged the heat for cold

‘s hot as hell in here.

Yeah man, but it’s a dry heat!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I'm sure they don't *like* cold, but Xenos can survive in vacuum and I have it on good authority that 'it is verrrry cold .... in spaaaaaaaaace.'

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

Correct, and one of the Aliens uses it to murder a random soldier when all the Aliens escape.

You know, that movie had a lot of problems, but the xenos slaughtering one of their own to escape was loving brilliant.

On a related note I have discovered the key to enjoying AvP 2. I realized that AvP 2 is essentially "What if Aliens and Predators fought in Dawson's Creek" and >bam< just like that it's a super fun movie.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't this factoid a creation of the comics? I remember a line like that in Theory of Alien Propagation or whatever it was called. But we can hear the Queen breathing in Aliens, and while I concede this doesn't necessarily mean vacuum hibernation isn't possible it seems to me that the movie canon is less clear on that.

Either way though, being blown out an airlock seems like a one-way ticket to an eternity of drifting, unless she happened to come across the unluckiest space ship in history.

Interesting. I could have sworn Ash mentions that in Alien, but nope. Big Chap climbs back into the Narcissus' engine at the end of Alien, but that doesn't prove it can survive long in space. I always thought that vacuum survival and extended hibernation were canon Xeno traits, but I can't find reference to those in a canon source. Clearly eggs are viable for hundreds or thousands of years (the derelict was envisioned by O'Bannon to be ancient) but not the rest of the life cycle.

Regardless, yes it was in the comics.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Want some better pics of my USMC armor? 'course you do!

For gently caress's sake someone make me stop trying to build new pulse rifles. :argh:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I ran across this Alien behind the scenes playlist by CinemaTyler on Youtube that is excellent. He definitely did his research. I even learned a new thing or two from it. Tempted to get his Patreon to see the other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGciYgiR4atF_ovvv0e0Qtd5H4lVpUzsd

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mister Speaker posted:

Well that sounded dumb as poo poo but the ending was quite decent. I'd like to hear more synopses from you if you're interested in continuing this.

I did always think it was weird how the theatrical cut seemed to imply Burke just got headshotted and not - more logically - taken and cocooned like the defenseless moron he is. I get how the deleted scene would have cheapened things in the final showdown, though.

The deleted scenes in both Alien and Aliens with the cocooning process would have majorly interrupted the tension of the ending more than anything.

That’s one thing that always bothered me. They show the jaw shoot out, but as far as i can remember they only ever showed Parker with his skull caved in. I wonder if they can use that to “lobotomize” the host, but then again they’d probably bleed out. :iiam:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

In other news I’m having dinner with Andrew Gaska (author of the Alien RPG) tomorrow, and he’ll also be at the Game On Expo in Phoenix this weekend.

Tell him he nailed it.

Re: Alien: Romulans: I wonder if they're taking inspiration from the unused William Gibson Aliens sequel script that featured an airborne pathogen. I'm not a fan of it because it ruins the whole 'something lurking in the dark hunting you' theme. I'm also dubious about bringing an Ash-alike back c.f. Princess Shrekface Leia. I guess we'll see.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I mean Mark Zuckerberg looks more and more like an android every day. ask him.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

They really just need to do a faithful adaptation of ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’.

But David Bowie is dead too. :smith:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Code Jockey posted:

A friend ran Alien yesterday, and I am shocked - it holds up folks

It absolutely still feels like a modern movie 99% of the time.

the 1% is when Ripley pushes Ash’s head down on the table which to be fair looked fake as hell in the theater too

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sentinel Red posted:

Ash is key to the film being as great as it is, it's just such a great reveal. Even when you suspect he's not telling them everything, the absolute freak out, the insane way he tries to kill Ripley, the TIT GRAB OF DOOM on Parker, and subsequent milk fountain once Parker knocks his head off are just GOAT poo poo and gets first time viewers to this day.

Without him, it's 'just' a stunningly beautiful monster movie.

Oh that whole scene is a beautiful mind gently caress and absolutely crushes any hope for the characters you may have had. It was the cut I was referring to, yes. I really would have thought they could have fixed that by now with some re-editing.

:corsair: The first part of the movie was terrifying and then Ash goes berserk, bleeds milk, makes strange noises, and tosses Parker like a rag doll. Androids were never mentioned as A Thing prior to that. Seeing that opening night just kind of spun me off into a feeling of madness just minutes after getting a sucker punch to the gut that The Company did the whole thing on purpose. It's just absolutely masterful.

And yes, I was traumatized - I was 11 and had 6 months of nightmares - why do you ask? :shobon:

quote:

In other news, disappointing to hear Cameron hosed the 4k remaster with uncanny smooth skinned nonsense. Guess I'll stick with my OG bluray.

What's this now??

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm fairly certain someone has already pointed out that The Queen Alien is now technically a Disney Princess.

Wouldn't it be a warrior? The Queen is ... well, a queen.

RE: Prometheus - I was disappointed in the :airquote: plot but I didn't hate it. I thought it was alright. Then I watched the deleted scenes and :tviv: the plot actually makes sense! Or at least more sense! I think it desperately needs an extended edition ala Alien and Aliens, but I doubt that will happen.

Short version: Watch the deleted scenes. I have NO idea why they cut those.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mister Speaker posted:

It looks cool. The plot details someone posted upthread sound like dogshit but then again I also kind of want to see Civil War, so I'm not above debasing myself for some stupidity just to see some fools get got by gangs of facehuggers.

Speaking of, what's that shot of something coming out of someone's mouth around halfway through? Could that be a successful facehugger removal operation?

I think it's a chestburster.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Is Romulus going to end with a horrible CGI Sigourney Weaver getting the plans to the Death Star getting a copy of the transmission?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

zenguitarman posted:

I kinda like the horde of facehuggers. That's a kind of terror I never really considered. the AvP bullet time scene doesn't count, that was dumb as hell

I literally shouted in panic when I saw that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Romulus is supposed to completely ignore all … that.

Thank god.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MarcusSA posted:

Well then how is it a prequel??

It can ignore it (in the sense of just not mentioning it) and still be a prequel.

This is my issue with the prequels. Aliens were created by a human-built android. Really? Then how does an ancient derelict containing hundreds or thousands of eggs end up on Acheron? Remember that the Space Jockey is loving fossilized. That doesn't happen in a couple hundred years. I have no issue with David finding the tech and loving with it, but to imply that he created xenomorphs is ridiculous.

Also it completely fucks up the life cycle of a Xenomorph. Oh it gestates and becomes a giant squid for... reasons? The idiot scientist that gets infected turns into a yeti for ... reasons? (in the cut scenes they had him transform into Xenomorph hybrid which made way more sense.) It's just full of dumb Hollywood "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that again, don't make any freaking sense in the context of the other movies.

Don't even get me started on the whole implying that Jesus was a 12 foot bald porcelain skinned engineer.

Again, I actually like the movie, but more as a "What if" than anything canon. I really hope the whole concept fades away and goes to live with Midichlorians.

Fake edit: Oh, and the Engineers are humanoid instead of this unfathomable alien that is one of the most unique and baffling aliens on film. Bleh. "I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT SO gently caress IT IT'S A SUIT." :rolleyes:

Fake edit edit: Oh gently caress I completely blocked the goddamn disembodied head that is still alive and explodes into goo for .... who the gently caress even knows anymore. :fuckoff:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 21, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

^^^ yeah. I didn't get that idea from the movies though maybe I misunderstood. I'll have to watch them again.

Zadok Allen posted:

Good lord this is a sweaty post :kiddo:

Yeah I was kind of on a bender yesterday.

So let me back-up and re-iterate that I quite like Prometheus and even Covenant for what they are. I was looking forward to a follow-up of Covenant in the hopes it would go how I hoped. Here's my (less sweaty, hopefully) head-canon.

NOTE: +/- 4 billion years
-200,000 years ago: The race of Space Jockeys that we see in Alien are expanding into the galaxy. They encounter Xenomorphs, which may or may not be natural. (Even they don't know.) To weaponize them, they experiment and re-engineer the Xenomorphs. What you would expect to happen, happens and hilarity ensues wiping out the Space Jockeys.

-10,000 years ago: The Engineers we see in Prometheus rise and expand into the stars. They find the remains of the Space Jockey civilization and at first worship them, but as they advance technologically, turn to a deep reverence. They adapt the Space Jockey's tech, having to build the suits we see in the movies in order to interface with it. Of course, they find Xenomorphs (or find the Space Jockey's attempt at re-engineering them) and think it's dope. They adapt it and seed the Earth.

-2,000 years ago: The Engineers lose control of their re-engineered black goo and hilarity ensues leading to them being wiped out. As a last-ditch attempt to break the cycle, the remaining few gear up to wipe out their creation (humans) so Earth doesn't become a hive world (or maybe so we don't get our hands on the goo). They fail, 'natch. The one Engineer freezes himself to hopefully wake up later in case things get hosed. Which they do.

Prometheus: Humans find the Engineer welcome signs made 10,000 years ago before the Fuckening. All the stuff happens and they wake up the Engineer who is at first confused why there are Humans there, but then sees that Humans are building androids to be immortal and now have the black goo, so it's pretty loving clear everything will go to poo poo all over again. He tries to carry out the original plan but gets eaten by a squid.

Covenant: As feared, David fucks with the black goo making poo poo he shouldn't be making. His drawings are the result of him studying the goo and unknowingly making a new strain of Xenomorphs.

Alien: The Nostromo finds the distress beacon of the derelict which crashed on Acheron almost 200,000 years before. It's carrying a full load of natural Xenomorphs for inscrutable reasons, but ultimately with hubris thinking they have control and can use them "safely." Nope. The Company knows about the signal. Do they already know about the Xenomorphs? Maybe. Probably. They at least know about the Engineers, so it stands to reason they might have learned about the Xenomorphs (I'm ignoring AVP & AVP2 here). The Company picks up the signal somewhere else (anywhere within 200,000 light years) and re-route the Nostromo which is unfortunately closest, already knowing the signal's content.

Aliens: The Nostromo is lost, and the Weyland Yutani secret program that diverted the Nostromo is secreted away. Burke is a jerk for profit, re-igniting the idea (pun intended).

Alien3: All that happens. Weyland Yutani finally gets close to a live specimen, but Ripley fucks it up.

Alien Resurrection: Humans experiment and re-engineer the Xenomorphs and hilarity ensues perpetuating the cycle.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 22, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Aw, don't tease me with a fully integrated head canon and just skip over stuff.

Personally I like the idea from the Dark Horse comics that Terminator is canon to the Alien franchise, it's just so far in the future that it's not really common knowledge.

Well, it's easy enough to slot in, but doing so raises other issues. But, I do mentally leave in the possibility that AVP & AVP2 was the first time Weyland as an organization got an idea about what's out there.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I always assumed they were as they have the jockey ships and space suits. And with the opening scene of Prometheus with them seeding life on earth I'd assume they're like billions of years old.

:doh: Yes, Doctor Zero, life on Earth adheres to Biblical timelines. So, add 4 billion years to my timeline and then we're good. :shobon:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 22, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

That’s the Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comic, a comic series so bad that I, Xenomrph, EU apologist and completionist, don’t own it in its entirety and am telling you to avoid it like the plague because it’s dogshit.

Do you know it's taken me until just now to realize there's no second 'o' in your account name?

e: Jesus Christ my account is old enough to drink. :corsair:.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This marks a transition from sci-fi horror to full-on speculative fiction - and the bridge is comedy.

Prometheus is the fifth movie in a multimedia franchise (the tenth, if you include Predator films). It goes without saying that not all of these stories are actually scary at all, nor even intended to be. In this context, Prometheus is specifically a horror-comedy where a guy smokes the weed in a haunted castle and then dies of a sex joke.

I want to hear more about how Prometheus is a comedy. That’s an interesting statement I’ve never heard anyone else talk about.

You guys are making me want to watch Prometheus and Covenant again now that it’s been years and I can re-watch them with fresh eyes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fair point. I always thought Weyland would have enough money to fund a proper expedition, but now with morons like Musk and Bezos aiming for Mars and that guy who was giving tours of the Titanic, it’s pretty drat prescient.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

James Cameron?

The other guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_submersible_implosion

The moron that said ‘safety interferes with innovation’ and used a loving Logitech game controller to steer his deathtrap.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 25, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

Depends on the material, some of it (like the crew manifest easter egg from the old ‘Alien’ DVD, or the revelation that LV-233 and LV-426 orbit the same planet from the Prometheus blu-ray) has been incorporated into other stuff later on.

Wait, what? Really? So much for Acheron being some super distant planetoid with a strange ancient distress beacon nobody has heard before. It’s practically a tourist hub. :jerkbag:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Happy Easter to all goons who celebrate.

I wouldn't fit in that dress.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

tango alpha delta posted:

I saw Aliens in 1986. I will never forget how loving loud the dropship sequence was.

It was awesome.

That pipe bouncing off the atmosphere processor after the drop ship crash gets me. Every. Time. It always sounds like it’s behind me IRL.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Way back before the Aliens TTRPG was a thing, Winson Paine ran some Colonial Marines forums games with a different system (GURPS??). I was in 2 out of 3 of them, and none of them had actual Xenomorph aliens in them, yet he did a great job of making things super hosed up and deadly. I've been trying to find the threads in archives, but I'm not sure they survived. :-(

Basically there are no shortage of hosed up Earth companies or factions willing to bio-engineer native fauna or even Earth fauna and have things get way out of control.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

How come every character in every Alien movie investigates things by sticking their face directly over it? Reminds me of a D&D game I played:
DM: There's a pool of clear, cool water.
Me: Hmmm. Okay, I'll go ahead and try out a sip.
DM: DO YOU DRINK WITH YOUR FACE?
Me: .... uhhhh no.

And on the note of movie people doing dumb poo poo, I watched Prometheus again, and overall by opinion of it hasn't changed. Keeping in mind what was said in the thread, I can see that I indeed did assume a lot of what was going on was unambiguous, although that also implies that Lindeloff was intentionally misleading viewers with an ulterior motive to be found out later, but yeah, he's not that good of a writer.

The acting was actually better than I remembered, but it suffers from some weak character motivations. Good actors like Idris Alba can get away with it. Charlize Theron was better than I remembered but unfortunately most of her character's motivations disappeared in the deleted scenes. The effects hold up phenomenally, although I was surprised by a lack of haze/dust/fog that Scott loves so much. I used to think David was well acted but inconsistent, but I realized that David had an ulterior motivation all long because of Weyland and was a manipulative son-of-a-bitch from the get go. I don't know why I never caught that before.

The survey team being complete morons really can't be hand handwaved away completely. It was just really lovely writing. Characters do things because Plot and not because it makes sense. The geologist with the super advanced mapping drones gets lost trying to leave??? Really? The biologist trying to tame alien life with his hands is still especially egregious. The entire survey team is loving blind as well as stupid. The only people that have hint of knowing what they are doing is the ship crew. Although kudos for there actually being a ship crew and a separate survey team. That was refreshing. That's something that always bothered me about Aliens. Who runs the ship? The computer? And there's absolutely no one left behind incase the platoon gets in trouble? Really???? It'd be like the Marines taking their own Cruiser with nobody else onboard and deploying into combat with nobody to come get them if poo poo goes wrong. I don't think that happens, but I could be wrong I suppose. It wasn't a special forces thing like Predator. Anyway...

The Autodoc was clearly a WE HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING SHOCKING LIKE THE CHESTBURSTER SCENE and watching it again it was laughable. I CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE I AM CALIBRATED FOR MALE ANATOMY. Okay, fine just remove this object. OKAY I WILL DO A LITERAL CESARIAN NOW. :rolleyes: And the thing doesn't administer anesthesia? Really?

Shaw is supposedly some super field surveyor yet she just runs around like she's in Disneyworld and her "boyfriend" basically does nothing but serve as a literal vehicle for bad poo poo to happen to her. Her character is written maudlin and almost panto. The whole infertility thing comes out of nowhere and lasts just long enough for Plot. She also suffered from "she's a scientist and also the protagonist so she knows everything about every science." What was her field?? Genetics? Biology? Medicine? Anthropology? Archeology? :iiam:

The severed head still made no sense. MAYBE WE CAN TRICK IT INTO THINKING IT'S STILL ALIVE. :v: a 2000 year old severed head? Really? Okay, so let's say you really do suddenly know everything there is to know about the neurology of an alien you discovered 45 minutes ago .... WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THAT? Did she think they'd get it to talk? Did she just want it to make strange faces? It's senseless HEY LET'S TORTURE THIS CORPSE BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY CREEPY.

Shaw and That Guy were also strangely hostile toward David. Okay, sure some people won't like androids, but they had no pre-established cause for it like Ripley did. They are also arguably the protagonists and it just made them seem like huge dicks for no reason. Halloway was just completely unlikable. Not to mention that their reaction to not finding living Engineers is sort of understandable, but they took it WAY too far. Like if someone figured out that Atlantis was real and went there would they REALLY consider the whole thing a failure if the Atlantians weren't alive? I doubt it.

I still think the implication that the Engineers created humans is loving stupid. The concept in itself is fine, but it really doesn't fit with the rest of canon IMO, so I'm sticking with my head canon that the Space Jockey was actually an older race that the Engineers imitated. Not only that but DNA AND GENES DON'T loving WORK LIKE THAT. I think Lindeloff saw a headline that said chimps and humans share 99% DNA and stopped there.

So, I'm back to mostly liking it but still having huge problems with the writing, just for different reasons. Next up is Covenant.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 9, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

That's a really lovely reaction. Collectibility, fan value, you'll just miss out, etc. etc. :jerkbag:

All he had to do was say "Yeah, we know, but because of REASONS, the production costs are higher on this one and we don't have another disc to spread the cost out so..." and left it at that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redshirt posted:

Fuckin' Spunkmeyer

WEIRZBOWSKI!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ah yes. The 50s and 60s movie trailers where every actor stares into the void with glassy eyes and everyone moves like they huffed a bunch of ether from Bugs Bunny.