Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Aliens take on some characteristics of their host so I bet if we let a facehugger get feenix we'll end up with a stupid xenomorph who needs to wear a crash helmet and kneepads at all times and is wrong about everything.

But they won't make a toy because who would want such poo poo?

Also im reading the prequel to Aliens. River of Pain. So I get to read about how everyone pretty much dies horribly before best movie starts.

(No clue if that big crossover comic series that also had Prometheus stuff in it is added into it. Or if it matters.)

Aliens owns and I have nearly every unique home system game in the AvP ip sphere except for a lovely MSX side scroller because its expensive and bad. Like people who diss Aliens bad.

(Alien too is good and part of a great list of 70s horror. Halloween. Jaws. Dawn of the Dead. All goddamn classics from when i was more or less in diapers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Excepting that dude who seemingly considers Aliens what Laura Loomer thinks of Twitter most of yall know what the gently caress is up. Aliens is the goddamn best. I saw it in the later 80s when I was like 12 but it would be a couple years later when I would become a fanboy of it thanks to the Aliens Dark Horse trilogy. However it has lead to me buying a whole gently caress ton of Alien and Predator related merchandise over the years as my budget and desire has allowed.

Permit me to share with you the non videogame, normal DVD, or comic related stuff here because I have so much of this crap and this will already be stupid long. And was helpful because it got me to do some dusting. But it also shows I need a bigger storage tub shelf thingie for all my Alien stuff which will in many cases not need to be dusted because it'll be in a storage thing and I will know where it all is when I need a Xenomorphical pick me up. And yes I have had multiple nightmares involving them. (But also Michael Myers, zombies, and nuclear APOCALYPSE of varying degrees. Still the worst ones involve being at work or somehow being back in the military. A therapist would have a field day with my sadbrain.)

We begin with what novels I can find and a couple other books. The hardback version of the first Dark Horse miniseries was a gift from a friend and I never need open it having the original trade paperback. So it can be pristine compared to a well read copy I've had since.. 90? 91? Somewhere in there.

I got this cheap but in rough rear end shape. But it's a mass market 70s Alien boardgame. Aimed at kids. I have sadly never found anyone to play it with. :smith: luckily I have gotten the odd game of Space Hulk and Tyranid Attack in which are Warhammer 40k NOT ALIENS games. Also I have a couple other similar type games where you have a thing full of not Xenomorphs to kill or to escape from. They all don't really fit the scope of this megapost.

The Aliens rpg I won't ever run because the rule system is wonky and I can do it better in Chaosium Basic Roleplaying or D6 System. And that sought after Colonial Marines book. I think it got a reissue recently? It was going for fat stacks for a while... sadly no I do not have the Aliens boardgame and expansion Leading Edge made. And it keeps going for mad amounts for being cheap paper.

I do however have tons of the only good Wizkids Clix game, Horrorclix. Multiples of the main Alien set and also the Predator set not shown as they are in with the rest of those minis. Eagle eyed folks may notice non AvP models in one box as I was playing it a few months back with a friend but I did GATHERING OF JUGGALOS AT CAMP CRYSTAL LAKE. Jason is a loving beat stick that even the mightiest of the Dark Carnival cannot stop. Yes this does mean you can have Aliens vs Predator vs Freddy vs Jason vs Hellboy vs lots of generic horror stuff that is totally not Buffy or Ghostbusters.

Let's get more books in here before I forget including 2 that were constantly advertised in early 90s Heavy Metal issues one of which is my most read Coffee Table book.

My Blu Rays and a model kit I still haven't built since 99? 2000? A long rear end time.

Let's get to the birth control section of my collection! Friends actually bought me that big Hicks v Xeno box. It stays in there to not get dusty. As we will see some poo poo really gets dusty and cleaning Xenomorph exoskeletons is a gently caress.

We see the Mcfarlane Alien Queen which broke and I had to glue her arm back. Not that she had any move and play value ever other than looking great for the 25 bucks she was. The Dropship sadly has a cockpit defect you can't see until you take it out and it was from a store with a NO RETURNS policy. I suppose I could try whining to the manufacturer? A blind box Xenomorph with egg I got at Target, and then most of the Mez Its Alien toys. They generally have fun little play features like chestbursting captive, facehugger on Astronaut Kane, Alien jaw action.. they are fun even if the Ripley is weird as gently caress looking.

First half of my other toy and Minimates stuff pics. I like Minimates because they are cheap and neat. Also because I can more or less remake the Aliens boardgame with them as I think I have everyone from the game scenarios and only Ferro missing from the main cast. Because nobody needs Weyland Yutani exec toys. Not even little ones. The only issue is making the game boards. The rules are easy enough to find scans but the boards require rasterbating or spending lots of cash on nice big rear end poster images. There are even fan redoes of the boards that look great but again making them into a good playable game board.

Most of the rest. Pretty much every Marine here. And the old Kenner Mantis Alien! Some Kubrick blind box figures for maximum Ian Holm watches John Hurt get mouthraped action! Some of those Mattel Lego type figures. A Kenner Alien my friends found for me at a flea market in the later 90s because they knew my love for the Alien. That Reaction line remake of the Star Wars sized Alien Kenner was gonna do till they discovered the outrage over R movie as toys for kids. The Neca Aliens Xeno first issue. (You can get boxed ones at Target now. Basically the same but in 2 color variations. I don't need another one or two especially at 25-30 bux.) A Sci Fi pop culture blind box Xeno too!

Some blind box re colors of said remade Kenner Alien. The center one is a pretty transparent gold with metallic flakes while the other 2 are blood splattered glow in the dark CIA types who are observing me play old rear end computer games on an actual Mac IIsi using a VGA dongle thing. Because I do many different stupid rear end things! I just rarely go ALL IN on any one thing. It's a buffet of nerdy nonsense. There are many cheap things to be sampled to ensure I die alone!

And we end this photographic evidence of my consumer whoredom/shame with some more non toy McFarlane toys. Again I buy cheap mostly. So I'm only mostly a dumb gently caress. Mostly.

But comics and DVDs and Videogames will be a post to embarrass me on another day as its snowing outside and I gotta do more on my long rear end driveway to keep it from being hell. On the upside there are still a few other goons who are bigger fanboys or girls than me but is this comfort that I could be worse?

:negative:

Vvv:the rpg is the infamous one whose rules are actually lighter than the game it shares a ruleset with called Living Steel? Or is it Phoenix Command? It's one of those that also did a Coppola Dracula and a Terminator game. They had an Aliens (and an apparently poo poo Dracula) boardgame that there is a pretty sweet flash game version of but it'll kick you in the dick. Sadly guess which one I don't have?

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 4, 2019

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's a good point. They probably purposefully sent in a small team just so that no one would get back alive or at least fewer people to talk about it. Burk had his orders from the company to bring that thing back, if it existed, and Ripley called him out saying that he could just sabotage a few hypersleep chambers and boom, he's the WT hero.

It was interesting that Ripley spilled the beans during the hearing and they just brushed her off. Then they lose contact with the exact same place she mentioned this horrible creature she described in perfect detail. They wanted it and they'd do anything to get it. Just like when the company first heard about the exact same organism in the original Alien.

Crew expendable.

fake broken thought train edit:

Wait, I just thought of this. Ripley mentions that Burk signed orders to send out Newt's parents specifically to the derelict spaceship to investigate. They probably reported what they saw, sent it to the company, and then maybe they let the colony get wiped out. They "lost contact."

MIDPOINT SPOILERS FOR A NOVEL 99% OF PEOPLE EVEN IN THIS THREAD WON'T READ HERE....

In that novel I am reading WY built a colony there more or less to figure out wtf happened to the Nostromo. They had a science team and a marine presence. When the hero of the story shows up (a Marine Captain) he gets pissed these Survey Prospector Teams are going out with Marines especially as one team of brothers has one of them more or less lose his mind being on the planet and a vehicle accident makes them have to take shelter in one of the outer processors. That was poorly maintained. To the point of being about to blow up. And his smarter not lost his mind brother is injured trying to repair it. The Marines with them are... not the best and things much worse.

So basically our hero might have killed everyone by following official protocol to not send out Marines with prospector teams and thus Newt's Dad gets facehugged. Course where I am at in the book they are foolishly exploring lots of it because they figure ain't nobody else gonna get to see it once the Science Team goes in. The Jordans more or less see lots of dead Xenos and Engineers including a Queen in there.

OK POSSIBLE CRISIS AVERTED FOR THAT ONE DORK LIKE ME.

Honestly even the minor part of this the Director Cut has in is too much info. Ideally it would show the Jordans by the derelict then CUT. No showing Russ with the facehugger. Alien watchers would know what's up, non would know something bad is gonna happen then that's it.

No idea how the above novel fits in with Newt's Tale or the Fire and Stone series if at all. Non movie canon is never canon anyhow and even movies and TV shows have trouble sticking to their own goddamn rules and world. So take that kind of but not really spoiler from a book how you will. Then there is the Halloween franchise that just has multiple sub continuities like Godzilla.. Alien isn't quite that bad but I'll take Verheiden Dark Horse Trilogy over SPACE DILBERT (Prometheus), Alien 3, or AvP the Comics done mediocre at best in Antarctica instead. It's a lot better and sticks to the first 2 movie rules instead of Meth Facehugger poo poo and White Bald Dudes and the Androids who hate them...

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Aliens is still the best and only one other Adventure Thriller (is that a term or did I just make it up?) Is on its level and that is JAWS. Except even the bad sequels to Aliens are better than the Jaws sequels no matter how much fondness I have for Jaws 3d which is stupid but in a really fun not completely moronic way.

Aliens has way better videogames though as almost every Jaws game except that one super short fan made text Adventure sucks.

Have I shown my Alien/Predator games collection yet? I forget where my collection image dump photos stopped and it's been a few months...

Eh gently caress I'll post em anyhow and save comics and book type merch for another time.

As far as I can tell the only gameplay unique titles I am missing are the lovely MSX Aliens game and AvP arcade and given that the latter is currently only going to have a home port in an enormous 2 player 250 dollar plug and play Capcom logo THING. My commitment to the Hive is not that strong. I'm cheap.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

I got a bunch of this for practically nothing in the mid 00s.

Still pretty much in plastic wrap. Like 30 odd main bugs, 32 Roughnecks armor MI, 3 big suits, that big bug, and 6 flyers.

I should probably assemble them and do something with the things. Or see if they are good Ebay value. I got them to use in RPGs and similar type stuff but if I'm not even building them?

It ain't like I don't have things I could use them in...
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2019/12/battle-systems-uk-frontier-core-set.html

And a fuckload of Alien and Predator Horrorclix too.

I can do good poo poo provided my sorry rear end can find people willing to try stuff out on a weekday.

Vvvv other side of the country aka either side. But I linked your post to a Wisconsin goon who games and is a huge Alien fan. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 13, 2020

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Owlbear Camus posted:

If that APC were a tad smaller I'd get it for 32mm doll purposes. Ten buxx is a steal.

That's a 15 dollar one. Also the Power Loader set. 3 price points all cheap by modern prices. Though the odd 20 years ago my MacFarlane Queen set was like 25 dollars at Suncoast.

And these if you want more of a minifigure scale Xenomorph. 10 bucks for a 2 pack in an egg of slime with 2 Facehuggers. 3 different varieties of Xeno pair colors. I've only got 2 of the types but enough to make stupid color combos because I can. (There was a proper Xenomorph color and a generic Colonial Marine released a few years back in carded form.)

Edit: funny pics not upside down on Discord. Oh well its Aliens. Still works!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The thread needs more good Survival Horror sci fi ish flicks to discuss I think.

No love for The Descent and Event Horizon? Because they are both loving awesome. Although one has a terrible sequel that is ruined by a typical horror movie stinger end.

Also some love for Deep Blue Sea which is like the 2nd best killer shark movie after Jaws. (But I actually enjoy Jaws 3 even if it's around the 5th or 6th best in that genre. Bait, Jaws 2, and The Meg are in that group. J3 is probably better than Meg though. Worse SFX obviously.

Those are all legit survival horror with sci fi elements. (Oddly enough I was playing my original long plastic box release of Resident Evil yesterday and got eaten by the Shark. I had gone so far without having a save point that I decided that's enough janky gameplay. Though the other reason I got my PS1 back then was Alien Trilogy which still holds up completely. Even if AvP2 is still the superior Alien fps.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Acheron Mountain Oysters.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Xeno defeats my collection hands down and I'm ok with that. Makes me feel like I don't have a problem in comparison!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Prometheus is good but its because its SPACE DILBERT as because like Dark Helmet has told us "Even in the future nothing works!". People don't work either as the world is finally starting to figure out. An inept egomaniac megacorp owner is afraid of dying, has his daughter cover for him while hiring people who are presumably skilled in their fields but as most people are ACTUALLY NOT, and they go to space.

Also Noomi was banging in it. And Fassbender was a goddamn boss.

But it's not exactly a movie that necessarily intended its lesson to be PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY DUMB. It's just what its actually about. (Unlike say Se7en which is obviously about urban and moral decay in the 90s. Whose audience didn't go in expecting such a thing.) As an Alien prequel its butt. As a very lovely to look at movie that is more or less OFFICE SPACE IN SPACE it owns.

I mean hasn't anyone ever had a job or been around people in their jobs or just seen the current US White House? Prometheus is REALITY through a sci fi lens is all like the best speculative fiction should be. It teaches us important lessons about the Human Condition.

(That nobody learns. Also see much better overall teaching sci fi film Jurassic Park. Wisdom can be learned if only we open our hearts, eyes, and mind. Also I would like a #2 medium, no pickles or onions on the burger, and an iced coffee for the drink 1 cream and sugar please.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Not just thinking about Aliens but playing games with them.

Still need the expansions out. Plus the way this game called Core Space works they can pretty much be used in it too. So you want the Colonial Marines competing with the Ghost Crew from Rebels against 40k Tyranids? Its possible!

it even has terrain to bolt on and hive up the normal stuff.

So what are you waiting for sweethearts? Breakfast in bed?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Splicer posted:

Oceans 11... then the predator shows up

Oh my god

Make it part of the regular FF franchise. It wouldn't even stand out that much.

And the sequel, Acheron Drift.

Ripley: if you ain't out of control you ain't in control!
*Apc drifting on top of the Derelict*

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

We all know the correct Titanic crossover. (It was originally a cover to G Fan magazine in the 90s.)

No I don't want to think about a Xenozilla. Especially not with Shin Godzilla. Or Hedorah.

They mostly come out in Tokyo Bay.. mostly.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Owlbear Camus posted:

I remember having an alien game for the vic 20 that was literally a pac man clone only you were smashing eggs and the ghosts were xenos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJsF4NlcsrI there was a 2600 Alien game like that. I own it with manual actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJbs6EGGXg and this game that was on the C64 which again I own because I have nearly every physically released Alien and Predator game that's not some online only thing. Best I can recall im only missing the Arcade Alien v Predator game because that giant Capcom arcade stick thing is an expensive ugly monstrosity that my hoarding rear end doesn't have the space for, and the MSX Aliens game which sucks and averages like 150 bucks for a loose cart. (I do have loose cheaper carts of MSX Goonies and Castlevania which are good and interesting games respectively.)

My commitment to Sparkle Motion has limits. (Also why I won't have a complete US Master System collection even if I am willing to import the PAL region versions to save money. 100 bucks for ALF? I'd feel like a ding dong spending 50! )

Edit: there ARE TWO C64 Aliens games. Again have both. Activision made one thats a collection of mini games you need to practice if not make actual maps for 3 parts of, and then the UK first person one. There is also an Alien 3 game but its basically just a compromised version of the Genesis game that was done on a half dozen platforms. (The SNES , Arcade, and Game Boy Alien 3 games are unique however. Snes is cut from the same cloth as the Genny A3 but vastly different in execution. )

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Newt's Tale was effectively redone by one of the novels. "River of Pain" iirc.
Her mom and brother go out really sadly. There are a few survivors but I don't think it meshes with the Fire and Stone comics which also had some people escape the events. (But that's OK as said comics event tried to basically fit Prometheus continuity into it and im not sure I like it or Covenant as being any sort of canon to the wider Alien universe. )

I have gotten yet another way to Alien in a solo game ill have trouble playing because videogames are easier and I don't feel like as much of a waste of a person as I do playing a board game by myself:

The name of the ship is the Konrad. I wonder why. Couldn't have anything to do with some of the ship names in Alien, nope.

See you buy a 20 dollar core ruleset then 20 dollar boxes containing 2 different final girls to play in plus the location and killer letting you mix and match a bit. This one being Ellen and Jenette. No relation at all nope.

What the sets (and mini vignette ones) are and what movies they are totally not ripping off according to a BGG poster. You can even buy minis for the seasons if nice simple colored meeples aren't your thing. Most sets also have special rules like the Evomorph has a life cycle, Gepetto has his puppet minions, ect.