Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Domestic na Kanojo (Domestic Girlfriend) ドメスティックな彼女 is a manga series written by Kei Sasuga (author of Good Ending) that's been going since 2014 and this thread is about the currently airing anime adaptation by Diomedéa that aired on the 12th Jan 2019.

Synopsis :ohno:

quote:

Natsuo Fujii is in love with his teacher, Hina. Attempting to forget his feelings towards her, Natsuo goes to a mixer with his classmates where he meets an odd girl named Rui Tachibana. In a strange turn of events, Rui asks Natsuo to sneak out with her and do her a favor. To his surprise, their destination is Rui's house—and her request is for him to have sex with her. There's no love behind the act; she just wants to learn from the experience. Thinking that it might help him forget about Hina, Natsuo hesitantly agrees.

After this unusual encounter Natsuo now faces a new problem. With his father remarrying, he ends up with a new pair of stepsisters; unfortunately, he knows these two girls all too well. He soon finds out his new siblings are none other than Hina and Rui! Now living with both the teacher he loves and the girl with whom he had his "first time," Natsuo finds himself in an unexpected love triangle as he climbs ever closer towards adulthood.

The OP is a major bop and I highly recommend checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywhzUjQjjGI

Characters

Natsuo Fujii

Protagonist, high school student, aspiring novelist and surprisingly well grounded/mature for a male lead in a romance drama. He's head over heels for Hina and in an attempt to get over his feelings for her ends up bumping into Rui at a mixer and having casual sex with her. Then due to WACKY CIRCUMSTANCES his dad remarries and the woman he marries.... is Hina and Rui's mother! Wowzers, how is he going to deal with having his crush and the girl he lost his V to living with him as siblings?

Hina Tachibana

An English teacher at Natsuo's high school. Beautiful, smart and easy-going, she is dating a guy called Shuu who was her sensei back when she was a student who she knows is currently married and stringing her along promising he'll divorce to be with her. Her love life is a trash fire and she is the target of Natsuo's affections.

Rui Tachibana

Best girl and Hina's younger sister who is in Natsuo's year at high school. Socially and emotionally awkward, she is introverted but slowly comes out of her shell after her encounter with Natsuo at a mixer. I ship them.

Momo Kashiwabara

A classmate of Natsuo and Rui, she has a reputation as being super easy and makes plush dolls she gives to people she likes. Her family life is poo poo and she self harms. She's actually super clever but loses her focus when she's dating.

Miu Ashihara

A shy, gentle girl who is a member of the literature club. That's uh pretty much it? Her arc kind of got skipped

Masaki Kobayashi aka Marie~

Flamboyantly gay cross-dressing owner of Café L'amant where Natsuo's friend Fumiya works. Ex Yakuza. Secretly the best character

Kurimoto Fumiya

Natsuo's best friend and personal advisor.

Alex J. Matsukawa

A transfer student from overseas. Yells English words a lot.

The anime is currently on episode 8 and updates every Saturday. The manga is a never ending hell, you have been warned.

Discuss!

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Davincie posted:

adtrw fears gently caress

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have nothing to say other than Minami, the singer of the OP, is very good and you should check out her channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YF8vecQWYs

I'm not a big fan of melodrama, so I'll be skipping the show itself :v:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Eps 8 spoilers Folks, Hina is just hitting on Nat again so that Rui gets angry and is supportive of her relationship with Shuu. How scandalous!!!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I've dunked an iphone in water exactly like Hina did and it was fine

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm still reading the manga and I'm not sure why

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

:same:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Just read all 221 chapters of the ongoing manga and ahahahaa

this is literally a telenova soap opera jesus christ

i hope rui finds a nice boy who isn't that rear end in a top hat chef

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

New ep today!

Who puts a tomato on a parfait :psyduck:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahah holy poo poo there's an anime of this? The manga is absolutely hilarious. I haven't read it in a while, but I got to the part where he got with the younger sister a while after the older sister was sent away, and then she started working as a chef and there was some other chef boy who obviously had the hots for her to create more drama. The older sister is honestly a total sleazebag for hooking up with her teenage student like that, and totally deserved the punishment she ended up getting. The people in the manga comments section who think she's the "best girl" are hosed up, because even if you ignore the age gap and teacher thing she still totally sucks. The biggest issue with the series as a romance is probably the fact that neither sister is remotely compelling as a character. The younger one starts out okay but ends up becoming lame later. I also feel terrible for their poor parents, whose son is loving or has hosed both his sisters. I forget if they ever find out.

The one thing I have to give this series credit for is that in the manga the protagonist is actually a very good looking guy, and with the whole "novelist" thing I can actually easily comprehend him being popular with the ladies. It looks like they made him look more "generic" for the anime, though. (edit: I just noticed that the author is a woman. I wonder if this partially explains the "protagonist being a guy who is actually believable as a chick magnet" thing.)

Momo is the only good character and the only person who isn't a shameful disaster of a human being.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 9, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beasteh posted:

Just read all 221 chapters of the ongoing manga and ahahahaa

this is literally a telenova soap opera jesus christ

i hope rui finds a nice boy who isn't that rear end in a top hat chef

I hate that I read it

I hate that I want to read more

I hate this series because there is clearly a part of me that absolutely loves it

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've been following the manga basically from the beginning, having been a big fan of the author's previous work in Good Ending. I like the art style, I like the constant melodrama, and I like the fairly constant sexcapades. As other's have said it's really hard to stop reading it once you start, which I think is a sign that it's doing something right. The latest chapters have kind of hit Peak DomeKano when immediately after being dumped, a woman immediately latches on to the protagonist when he's dragged to a mixer, just kind of goes into his apartment and refuses to leave, and really wants to have sex with him to pay him back for letting her stay there.

I think I personally like it too much to really call it a guilty pleasure, but for obvious reasons it's not for everybody. Despite the problematic premise I like the writing and the art, it's kind of got the whole package. If you want to read something that's about as good, very similar in style/tone, and doesn't get into step-sibling romance then you can't really go wrong with Good Ending.

While I haven't been following the anime as it airs I did like the first episode well enough so it's on the ever growing list of anime to catch sometime, and I'm glad the mangaka's getting an anime of their work.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I've got a pretty good idea of where the anime is going to end

Okinawa trip, cliffhanger of the photo of Natsuo + Hina smooching in the hotel window

this probably means we'll see Alex being rapey and auuugh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress? Is this written by coin flips and random encounter tables or something?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

I've been following the manga basically from the beginning, having been a big fan of the author's previous work in Good Ending.
HOLY poo poo, GE: Good Ending! Back when OneManga still updated!

:corsair:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'm reading Good Ending! and the plot is beat for beat the same as DnK lmaoooo

..why can't I stop reading, gently caress

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ As someone who has not read Good Ending, what would this imply about who Natsuo ends up with? My prediction would normally be Rui, partly because she's the "first girl" and partly because I refuse to accept the possibility of it being the teacher.

Btw if you guys like romance dramas that are "played straight" (as opposed to being more along the lines of romcoms, which seems to characterize most romance manga), I'd recommend looking into some Korean webtoons. On average they seem to have far more compelling characters than their Japanese counterparts (obviously with exceptions, but I've generally had better luck).

NowonSA posted:

I've been following the manga basically from the beginning, having been a big fan of the author's previous work in Good Ending. I like the art style, I like the constant melodrama, and I like the fairly constant sexcapades. As other's have said it's really hard to stop reading it once you start, which I think is a sign that it's doing something right. The latest chapters have kind of hit Peak DomeKano when immediately after being dumped, a woman immediately latches on to the protagonist when he's dragged to a mixer, just kind of goes into his apartment and refuses to leave, and really wants to have sex with him to pay him back for letting her stay there.

I totally forgot about this; I actually did reach the part with the other love interest woman. I remember something about her waiting inside his apartment and then I think Rui/Natsuo finding her and Rui being like "girl why you do this"

I feel bad for Natsuo's friend who very rarely shows up and is only ever used for Natsuo to vent about his exciting sex life.

edit: Unrelated, but one other thing I find kind of funny about this series is that it has a few parts where it comments on how "adult-like" Hina is, which is funny since she's way more immature than her sister.

edit2: Also, does the subplot between Miu and the sexy literature teacher ever go anywhere? I remember her being in love with him. Literature teacher guy is another example of this series having actual good-looking male characters for a romance series primarily aimed at men.

Beasteh posted:

this probably means we'll see Alex being rapey and auuugh

Ahh, I forgot about this. This part was very weird because he had previously been portrayed as a decent dude and IIRC is portrayed positively after that event.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2019

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Wark Say posted:

HOLY poo poo, GE: Good Ending! Back when OneManga still updated!

:corsair:

Haha yeah exactly, those were the days.

Beasteh posted:

I'm reading Good Ending! and the plot is beat for beat the same as DnK lmaoooo

..why can't I stop reading, gently caress

Yeah admittedly there's plenty of similarities, I'm sure that's why I like Domestic as much as I do though, giving me that same fix of the romance manga cliches in the same way. I also really like how much the mangaka varies up the surroundings and where the hijinks are occurring. From what I can recall domestic has way more minor supporting characters than GE, though in both of them you definitely get characters fading in and out of being focused on.

Ytlaya posted:

^^^^ As someone who has not read Good Ending, what would this imply about who Natsuo ends up with? My prediction would normally be Rui, partly because she's the "first girl" and partly because I refuse to accept the possibility of it being the teacher.

I totally forgot about this; I actually did reach the part with the other love interest woman. I remember something about her waiting inside his apartment and then I think Rui/Natsuo finding her and Rui being like "girl why you do this"

My heart hopes for Rui but I get an aching feeling that he actually ends up with someone outside the family, and given how long the manga has gone on so far I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't even been introduced yet, or if they're around then he may not have dated them yet.

Regarding the latter part of the above quote, nono this is a whole new character separate from that woman. It's wild times man.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Does the subplot between Miu and the sexy literature teacher ever go anywhere? I remember her being in love with him. Literature teacher guy is another example of this series having actual good-looking male characters for a romance series primarily aimed at men.

She takes a long time internalizing it, but just as she's about to confess on the rooftop he says a bunch of wholesome stuff that makes her realize how much she's improved as a person being prez of the literature club, and she is thankful just to be content with that feeling

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

There's also been the occasional tease that maybe that subplot could end in romance, given that a time skip/time advancement to post-high school happens and it's not necessarily a teacher/student thing now

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'm happy that

Momo got with the insecure blond kouhai and is totally perverting him

And the bookish stuck up glasses guy got with secretly busty glasses girl who's families had some kind of work related beef? anyway super satisfying to see those arcs get resolved

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

New ep!

Wise fwom your gwave

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 15, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

hahahahahaha holy poo poo

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Gigguk did a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OQu9yMh9k

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up with the show and while I am glad that I have watched it, I am really unsure just what I think about it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Picked up this show, then read the manga as i wanted to know what happened next.
Marathoned it the last week. all 224 chapters. I couldn't stop reading.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and he, stupidly and against self-preservation, did another thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZ70sS5gd4&hd=1

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

The bluray has the uh uncensored version of ep1

the .5 chapters of the manga are basically H anyway

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

and he, stupidly and against self-preservation, did another thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZ70sS5gd4&hd=1
Not a fan of Gigguk, but wasn't this basically a "Hot Ones" mini episode?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

New episode! Oh good christ

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yep that sure was a continuing spiral of stupid decisions by all participants involved.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Domestic na Kanojo - MC is a (stepsister) Banger

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm pretty sure that is the joke my friend

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sure seems like it. I'll be honest, though: For all the "guilty pleasure!" this has written all over itself, there are moments where I legit find myself going "Wait, am I having this much fun with the anime equivalent of a telenovela?"

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
ikr

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

The Anime Equivalent of McDonalds Fries

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooood

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

So there's like 0 chance of this getting a season two right?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

This is essentially a 'now read the fukken manga' adaptation so chance of S2 is probably slim to nil

Which I strongly suggest doing, the anime adapted something stupid like 6 chapters per episode and missed a lot of vital stuff plus the art is gorgeous and the .5 chapters/omakes are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I binged this and this is a hosed up disgusting show, and I have pretty much zero interest in continuing to read the manga. I had fun watching it though.

I got skewed by the literary teacher way faster than Hina to be honest. How he handled Natsuo at the rooftop and telling to pupils to kiss would both already be grounds for sexual harassment. That being said Hina absolutely is bad for pursuing a relationship with a.. minor? Also, she's by youngest like 22 or so? No idea how long you take to graduate to teaching roles in Japan. Honestly even Natsuo disgusts me with how forceful he was being with Hina. Pursuing the relationship and almost taking advantage of a sleeping person. I think he did some other forceful acts too that I forget. It's still morally extremely questionable but I would have found the thing redeemable to a degree if Hina would have avoided any relationship prior to graduating.

And like some other poster mentioned both Rui and Hina are actually rather flat characters. Honestly Momo seems way more interesting than any of the main cast.

This anime makes me want to watch a deconstruction where the protagonist acts like an actual proper human being and doesn't seek improper romantic relationships and doesn't walk to the bathroom where his naked...step? whatever sister is in, even if called.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2019