Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Objects in Space is a "modempunk space trading game", according to its website.

quote:

Objects in Space is a modempunk stealth space-trading game set in Apollo – a huge cluster of star systems dozens of lightyears away from Earth. You are a lonesome ship’s captain, buying and selling wares in order to keep your bucket of bolts afloat and stay one step ahead of pirates, organised criminals, corrupt governments and shady laws.

The developers' goal was a game in which spaceship piloting felt less like a WW2-era fighter plane and more like a WW2-era submarine. The ships are cramped and ugly little tubs with tiny windows that just show spinning starfields - every interaction you have with the space around you comes through your computer systems. There are also space stations in which you can buy and sell cargo, pick up contracts, equip your ships, get bounties, etc. Have some pictures.

The human models have, uh, character.

The thread title's reference to DOS is literal, enjoy typing MAIL.EXE to check your messages and NEWS.EXE to find out what's going on in the Apollo cluster. This is obviously not for everyone, but struck me as a very Goon Game. I've only been playing it for a day or so but I'm hooked. It's rough, janky, and weirdly compelling.

Game site: http://objectsgame.com/the-game/overview/
GOG page: https://www.gog.com/game/objects_in_space
Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/824070/Objects_in_Space/

Launch discounts are currently in effect, it's cheaper on GOG by $2 at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Game is amazing. Will play a lot more once there are a few more ship types added. Very impressive work for a 1 person team.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I absolutely love this game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm kind of amazed that anybody saw this thread after two months of no replies. have you guys done any combat? It's something I haven't really looked into at all aside from just running like hell.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

andrew smash posted:

I'm kind of amazed that anybody saw this thread after two months of no replies. have you guys done any combat? It's something I haven't really looked into at all aside from just running like hell.

Get a weapon system with a bunch of tubes, since you can't reload.
Heavy torps for ships, one or two light torps for anti-torp duty (yes, you can target and shoot down torps)
If you're looking to do bounties, use EM torps. 1 hit with them and the bounty is fulfilled. So run silent, get a lock on your dude (they'll almost always be a unique ship type) and fire. When it hits you can jump out and collect your cash. Make sure to get a full color display so you can see which nebulae is safe to hide in.

If you get shot at, you CAN dodge torps. It's not too hard, but its also not guaranteed. Basically right before it hits go full throttle 90 degrees off your previous course for a bit, then start moving in a square pattern. If you time it right the torp will keep missing you and then run out of gas.

Multiple inbound torps are bad news.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
This looks like a great game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

limaCAT posted:

This looks like a great game.

It's real good, play it and post about it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7nr6MwNwU

Decent semi-blind let's play. This convinced me to purchase the game. Does anyone have a good beginner's quick guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Game seems to be on sale on both GoG and Steam, with GoG being the cheaper option.

I have some hesitation as supposedly the devs have abandoned the game, and there are still some pretty serious bugs present. Can anyone comment? It looks like the single-player spaceship game I never knew I wanted.