Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Gonna book some form of Sky Ticket to get GoT, though I should probably check if it airs in 4K before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hittin' the hay, gonna catch the new episode at 4am before work. My body is ready etc.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The recurring elephant nagging was pretty funny. Also, the golden company duder has the most merc of mercnames, Jesus christ, GRRM.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I mean, it's not entirely surprising, you've got Sophie Turner and Maise Williams both at what - age 14 - starting when the show aired first like ten years ago, but while Sansa has consistently been portrayed as becoming a grown woman with smarts, cunning, courage and responsibility throughout the poo poo she lives through, Arya was still portrayed as a dorky pudgy girl that just became more badass until like the last season and a half, and was still constantly referred to as "a girl" until the beginning of season 7.

Nevermind that at this point in the books, John Snow, Arya, and Sansa are all still like 17 years old or whatever, without even mentioning GRRM's obsession with copious amounts of rape, incest, and child abuse.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Iirc the season trailer showed Arya injured and fleeing from a threat, so coupled with the fact that she had this badass moment of confidence in the last episode regarding facing the army of the dead, I'd assume she's a goner.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My bad, it was also in the lSt preview iirc, so I assumed it was old knowledge.

In any case, I'm pulling the pick out of my rear end anyway, because her surviving poo poo like that seems more probable considering their tendency to surprise-kill mogherfuckers

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

quote:

Maisie Williams, who portrays Arya, told EW she initially thought it was a joke because showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have sent actors bogus scripts before to pull their legs.

"At first, I thought it was a prank," she said. "I was like, 'Yo, good one.' And [the showrunners were] like, 'No, we haven't done that this year.' Oh f***!"
Williams first learned of the scene from her bff Sophie Turner, who portrays Sansa Stark on the hit HBO series.

"I called Maisie and was like: 'Have you read it yet?'" Turner told EW. "And she's like, 'I'm midway through episode one.' And I'm like: This scene, this page, read it! This is awesome! She was very happy."
By the time they got to the table read, Williams said she had some thoughts about her character getting busy with the character played by Joe Dempsie. "I got to the read-through and I'm reading the scene and thought, 'Oh, we're actually going to do this. When do I shoot this? I need to go to the gym.' A whole list of things," Williams said.

Not all of the viewers were happy with the scene, however.
There was some discomfort on social media with a nude Arya whom many watched grow up on the screen.

:lol:

Sophie and Maisie own.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

There be spoilers about, beware ye

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, we're getting the first 1h23m episode tomorrow, and it's probably 100% the battle at Winterfell, but it just occurred to me that I had previously kinda assumed that the final battle between dead vs. living would be the end of the entire show, with like 30-50 minutes for the aftermath, but it's kinda looking to me like the living vs. dead battle is going to be decided and over tomorrow, with two more episodes of alive-on-alive crime / shenanigans.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I mean, anything's possible, but since Cersei and the Lannister forces aren't anywhere near the north in the next episode (barring some more of that teleportation action we've been getting since last season), I don't see any probability for Cleganebowl tomorrow. I'm guessing the final battle of the season / show is probably gonna be remaining living vs. Cersei, so the Hound is probably safe tomorrow.

I also kinda feel Arya is definitely safe for tomorrow and possibly the next episode, because considering her arc, I don't feel like she'll die before either having at least attempted to kill Cersei, or be party to her death.

I definitely see at least one of the pairs of interchangeable role characters dying, like Champion-wise, I think either Jamie or Brienne eat poo poo, same with characters like Jorah and Grey worm, or Davos and Tyrion as advisors. In terms of my death pool, that unfortunately makes almost everyone except for two people from that fire-side drinking/bullshitting/knighting scene from last Sunday supremely vulnerable.

I'm okay with absolutely everyone dying, though. Just :killing: already, damnit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

By the way, if you would have told me before the beginning of the show that ~THE DEAD ARE COMING~ at the end of the 1st season and that they wouldn't actually get to Westeros until THE THIRD EPISODE OF THE LAST loving SEASON, I would have laughed you out of the room.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So, we already agreed on everyone in the crypt being hosed because it's called the safest place to be.

But it just occurred to me that the crypt is full of corpses.

The White Walkers raise corpses.

:unsmigghh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Don't you try to nail me down on specifics, I want to see zombie Ned and Rickon Stark tear poo poo up :colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flikken posted:

Lady was Sansa's Direwolf.

Yeah, he made the same assumption as I did, thinking you meant Catelyn Stark, who is resurrected in the books and goes on a zombie rampage of vengeance, hanging Freys and Boltons left and right.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SquirrelyPSU posted:

THE CRYPTS VERY CLEARLY WERE NOT SAFE

HAHAAAAA, CALLED THAT poo poo :lol:

(still, no one of import died, so welp my prediction)

Flikken posted:

That's because uhhh, that's not how you use light cavalry.

I laughed my rear end off at that. The episode kicked off absolutely amazingly, the music was so loving harrowing in the beginning, and then Melisandre lighting up all of their Dothraki Bathleths or whatever.
And then they ride off into the loving pitch-black and my immediate reaction was "UUUUUUHHHHHHH..." :stare:

And then I legit laughed my rear end off

holocaust bloopers posted:

Jorah
Lyanna
Theon
Edd
Baric Dondarrion(?)
Melisandre

The dragons survive; Ghost does too—they’re in the ep 4 trailer.

The trailer also had what looked like a dragon with properly-emmentalered wings, so I'm assuming that's not somehow Viserion, but one of the other two with massive battle damage?

But hoooly gently caress, what an episode. I guess we could have seen the ending coming, what with the dagger meant to kill Bran ending up saving him. But the second Melisandre told Arya she was meant to close blue eyes (again), I went "OH poo poo, HELL YES"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Game of Thrones is fun but go ahead and write 1000 word screeches about what you picked up from Rome: Total War II

Seriously, this.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of stuff they could have done better, but good lord, how does someone start to dissect realism and strategy/tactics (or lack thereof) in the very last season of this dumb show?

"They hosed up the battle of the bastards". If you think "they" hosed it up, go read the book where George RR Martin does even more ludicrous poo poo in that battle. The writers of the show toned it down for TV, because a ton of the stuff the dude wrote is so far beyond "over the top" that it's hard to put into words. The battle for Blackwater Bay had Tyrion pull up a giant loving submerged chain all across the bay to keep Stannis' ships trapped. Where's the 1000 word write-up on that being ludicrous because ships aren't agile enough to just spin like a top and moonwalk out of the bay. Where's the write-up on wildfire? Where's the write-up on the constant teleporting around of not just characters, but entire fleets and armies in the last 2 seasons that the show writers had to build in because they had to start wrapping up?

There are enough things to criticize the show writers over but not-smart generals and dubious tactics...in the last season of the show? Come on, son. Relax and enjoy the show, smoke some weed or something, idk.

If there's something that genuinely annoyed me about the show writers, it's how they massively hosed up the entirety of the Dorne storyline in season 5 (?), complete with comically lovely fight choreography and hilariously stupid lines. "You want the good girl, but you need a bad pussy" :lol:

I'll agree on the point of almost all of the main characters making it out of that episode unscathed, because that was some serious plot-armor bullshit, but hey, I'm like 100% certain that a whole bunch of audience favorites are gonna get popped before the show is over.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Here's a headscratcher that I had: Didn't they repeatedly say that this was going to be the biggest battle in TV and film history?
When I kept hearing that I figured they'd be operating on technical terms like non-CGI, or most extras involved throughout shooting, or some other metric, to even compete, and I still enjoyed the heck out of the episode, but how was that even remotely close to the biggest battle in history?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flikken posted:

Dorne's armies are largely untouched right?

Didn't they just straight-up sink the entirety of them off-screen when Euron (with his iron fleet of 1,000 ships that were created out of thin air) teleports onto Yara's fleet (that was like 100 ships but quadrupled in size over 2 episodes) after they were sent to pick up them up in Dorne?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM just secretly calls it quits and decides to occasionally beat the drum about the books while never really intending to finish anything beyond the winds of winter, so he can have his legacy rest on the overwhelming popularity of the show, as well as "what could have been" in the books before kicking the bucket.

There are so many deviations from the books before the show even "properly" departed from the books around the end of season 4 (?). There's two additional Greyjoys that matter, Euron has some form of loving dragon remote-control, undead Catelyn Stark is roaming the lands, Rickon never dies, Robb's wife doesn't die at the Red Wedding (or something to that extent), Sansa was never wed to Ramsay, but instead some Doppelgänger, the Dornish are going to war and the Sandsnakes aren't a wet fart, etc.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yo, something that just occurred to me

Qyburn saved up some hand of the zombie dude they brought in from beyond the wall.

What if that sly Motherfucker worked out the formula to have the dead walk the earth?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It hit me a bit late, especially after I already said I originally expected the battle of living vs. dead to be like three episodes to close out the show, but we've essentially had 7 seasons of build-up for the White Walkers to gently caress poo poo up, and then they're waxed in a single episode after having spent like half an episode loving up even the remotest bit of Westeros since breaking through the wall.

I'd say the crown of "wettest-fart failure post-huge-buildup" safely passes from Stannis to the Night King.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Sarah posted:

My prediction:

Jamie is going to die heroically saving somebody’s rear end (probably Sansa). Arya is going to take his face, get close to and kill Cersei, then take the throne. (I’m not like a huge GoT nerd so I don’t know the conditions of taking someone’s face. Do you have to actually be the one to kill them or can they just be dead by some other means?) This will cause turmoil between Dany and Jon. Final showdown will be Dany and Arya.

I think either Jamie or Tyrion are gonna die due to the hit Cersei put out on them. I doubt both will eat it, and I have no clue which one is more probable to die, because on the one hand, Jamie dying would leave Tyrion in place to act as consigliere for whoever assumes the throne after Cersei dies (I'm kinda banking on this happening), but then again, I also had a previous prediction of one of each pair of roles surviving, so Davos could probably take the place of hand to the King / Queen. And Tyrion could also easily die in some moment that has Bronn "realizing the flaws of his ways" or some poo poo in the final moment. That'd also give the producers a chance to provide one of those closure-moments for his character arc of eating poo poo for the entirety of his life and then going out in a redemptive blaze of glory or something. Maybe by saving Jamie after him and Brienne finally find love (tm).

Could be literally anything, and I'm fine with that.

I'm still assuming that the show is going to have an end that leaves literally not a single fan satisfied, like, legit heartbreaking ending that sends the nation into two weeks of social media grieving before realizing they live under a Trump administration.
Hell, Cersei might survive this thunderdome.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

This guy makes really good video essays and captures a poo poo ton of stuff that was wrong with this episode.

https://youtu.be/GI7zy1PTMp0

Ho-lee poo poo, thirty-seven minutes of this :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

The main focus of the show has always been the human politics. The dead were always the "other" issue.

I disagree. I get that intrigue and the literal game of thrones was always the meat of the show, but from the very first episode, the key point was driven home that none of the conflict mattered in the bigger picture of living vs. dead. The entire purpose of the wall was to defend against the white walkers after they were beaten for the last time however many thousand years ago, and a major part of the plot arc of the Night's Watch is that their purpose isn't to just range out against wildlings, but protect the realms of the living. Hell, Jon Snow's entire declared purpose (before he finds out he's actually the heir to the throne) is to raise awareness of the real danger to the north.

I just feel that they could have concluded Intriguefest 2019 before the final battle of living vs. dead, though that would probably have been a logistical nightmare to film.

In any case, I really hope they somehow tie up Arya into the whole Azor Ahai plot, because otherwise...what was the point of that? Stannis was supposed to be it, but then his legacy ended up being a wet fart, and instead, Jon is brought back from the dead, because he's actually Azor Ahai, but then Jon meets with Dany and the red woman, and we learn that Azor Ahai was totally mis-translated and it's actually a chick, and it's totally Dany this time, but then Arya kills the Night King.

So my hopes are that they kinda tie this up in some way instead of just leaving it at the audience going "oh, lol, I guess it could have been Arya the entire time, makes sense".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

They legit need to kill some characters tonight.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Things that owned about this episode:
- Jon's speech at the massive funeral pyre
- Tormund drinking
- Tormund drunk-talking poo poo
- Gendry's lordification
- The drinking game where they just kept pounding back booze despite having figured out basically every participant has poo poo on another on account of other participants having told them everything they shared in private over the last 7 seasons
- Tormund doing the most excited sulking in the history of people just having been cockblocked
- Sansa getting a solid laugh out of Clegane by saying she ended Ramsay with hounds
- Arya friend-zoning LORD GENDRY
- Jamie & Brienne's super-awkward hook-up
- Sansa continuing to have big brass balls
- The setup for the rift between Jon and Dany. The audience saw it coming from a mile away, and I'm glad the writers didn't just immediately have Dany ice-shoulder Jon solely based on the revelation of who he is, but sets up the involvement of Jon's family, as well as the way Dany feels an isolation from everyone else. Coupled with Cersei killing Missandey, it's a nice setup for how Dany's hand is forced. Honestly didn't even feel that rushed or forced despite happening within two episodes
- Upgraded Ballistas. gently caress, I love me some dope siege engines
- The setup for Euron betraying Cersei
- Missandei telling Dany to burn poo poo to the ground. So loving cool.

Things that did not own:
- Seconding the thing everyone else said about the comical lack of reconnaissance. Like, come the gently caress on, that could have been written less awkward by having Tyrion come up with the plan to engage the iron fleet they expect to be around Dragonstone with dragons, because it sits smack loving in the middle of the entrance to Blackwater bay, if I learned anything from Davos little swim back to shore in season 3 or whatever. That way you could still play the surprise-card of the upgraded ballistas on the iron fleet, and chalk up the whole shitshow to Tyrion failing Dany yet again, which sets up his removal as hand. The way things went down is just hilarious, in that I legit laughed at it because that amount of stupidity from our heroes was actually entertaining
- Jamie peacing out to join Cersei again. This was a headscratcher for me because I figured Jamie was just lying to Brienne to keep her from coming with him, and he intends to somehow kill Cersei himself. But then Benioff and whatshisname tell us in the epilogue that this is him rejoining Cersei because of loyalty and self-realization and love and, all because it just loving now occurred to him that she might die. Come on, now. If the singular payoff for this is that Jamie tells Euron Cersei was pregnant before, it's still awkward as hell, because everyone in the North new about it, and Tyrion literally just told Euron just...:psyduck:
- Teleport-mania. I mean, I get it, we need to wrap things up, can't really talk too much poo poo about this one, especially after the amount of intercontinental teleportation we had in the last seasons, it just felt awkward
- Cock-teasing main characters getting killed when you haven't had the balls to kill any significant number of main characters since deviating from the books in season 4
- Ballistas OP, pls nerf, Blizzard
- I cannot stop laughing :lol:

Yes, yes, this is a Wendy's drive-thru etc. it was a fun episode, but a bunch of stuff in there just felt unnecessarily sloppy or forced when it could easily have been written better with barely any impact on filming-logistics, as opposed to the Battle of Winterfell

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 6, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

further thoughts

jaime is off on a suicide mission and was driving brienne away before he dies, i cannot see it any other way even with the showrunners bullshit

This was my initial reaction as well, all Kingslayer-revival style, but the producers specifically explained that his reasoning was loyalty and love and realization that he's actually also a bad person and whatnot.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

RIGHT?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

They say the following:

"When he hears what Cersei has done, that's the turning point for him. At that point Jamie really has to take a long and uncomfortable look at who he really is. As much as Jamie cares for Brienne and admires and loves her, he almost has an addiction to Cersei that he just can't break. So even if he's given a chance at happiness and some kind of a different life for himself, he can't pick it. He makes the choice to go back to Cersei."

I mean, there's still a chance they'll just renege on that or have that just be the initial motivation for him to go back (which is still pretty dumb imo) before making him have YET ANOTHER come to god moment and realize for YET ANOTHER time that welp, Cersei is actually pretty bad and he is forced to turn Kingslayer again because destiny and redemption or whatever, but Jesus Christ.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Zombie Clegane has been shown to be many things but light on his feet he is not. If they write him teleporting to grab Arya from the shadows I'm gonna feel pretty disappointed.

Maybe not the right thread for it but that Chernobyl show is pretty terrifying, particularly if you've done any reading about the incident. Managed to convey how completely hosed most of the people there are.

I'm so stoked for watching the first episode tonight.

I never really had a huge historic interest in Chernobyl, outside of remembering that my family wouldn't eat mushrooms or a whole bunch of produce types for like 7 years, but once I started playing Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl, and the whole science-fiction/mystery element behind it, I suddenly gained a shitton of interest in the incident and gobbled up a ton of books and every documentary I could get my hands on.

Was hyped when I watched the trailer, and I'm really curious to see if they manage to capture the creeping dread that surrounded basically every step of the way. I didn't read up on the series itself to keep more to the element of surprise, but I hope they cover the actions and fate of the biorobots/liquidators.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The atmosphere reminds me quite a bit of "The Terror" so yeah I think they nailed the creeping sense of dread and doom that responding to a meltdown of that magnitude would likely cause.

I'm about half an hour in, and hell yeah, they nailed it. This constant droning of a horn in this menacing way.

And the first shot of the outside of the building fully ablaze...

I'm hooked.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh poo poo, it's Maester Aemon. :lol:

Guess talking about the show in this thread is cool now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Since the Battle of Winterfell, I've noticed I'm not "as stoked" anymore for GoT. Not because I disliked the episodes and poo poo on them, because I liked them (with a couple points of criticism), I assume it's probably because I really had this whole conflict of living vs. dead as my focus for loving ever, and now I'm kinda...eh.

Still somewhat excited for the next two episodes, but I'm honestly looking forward to the next episode of Chernobyl just as much.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hell, they conjured "remaining" dothraki and unsullied out of nothing

(Again)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, that certainly was an episode :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This Episode was equal parts "holy poo poo, that owns, and" and ":lol: that loving lazy writing"

Seconding that Jamie and Cersei better be dead as all gently caress.

Dany IDDQDing through the entirety of what we were made to believe was a city with overwhelming air defense was hilarious.

The smash cut to Qyburn saying "all the scorpions are gone now lol" was equally hilarious.

The outrage online over this one might be the greatest thing about the episode. gently caress the producers for not doing ten episodes though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

They could have added the lowest effort line in ten seconds after they said "the iron fleet won't be a problem" or whatever they said.

Like, say that the scorpions seem to have a max elevation angle, so Drogon can just HALO drop from the clouds into the middle of the iron fleet and airdrop some bad breath on them, so he'd be literally be unreachable by the scorpions. Or add that the scorpions on the land-facing walls would be trained towards the unsullied, and there's a chance to hit them from a blind angle in a surprise.

But they did nothing whatsoever outside of the hint that he'd be coming out of the Sun. And then she low-altitude holding-patterns casually over king's landing and suddenly all scorpions are gone in 30 seconds.

Looked cool as all gently caress, but jesus, write like three extra lines, guys.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Read up a little on the online buzz about the latest episode, and it turns out the Green Bay Packers QB was a guest extra as a King's Landing citizen getting brutally incinerated, and they apparently "forgot" that Jamie had a prosthetic hand in his final scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm fully assuming at this point that Dany somehow survives all attempts by her former advisers to kill her, because that's the only way this whole show ends up in a way that Ramsay Bolton would sum up as "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" by disappointing literally every single last furiously-committed viewer of the show.

I'd be fine with it. Burn it all down.