Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Watched this one last night. Olenna was a bad rear end.

Prediction: Arya joins the dead army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFf-gmxYQ3k

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Most of her organized army was taking Casterly Rock. Jaime based a token force there to defend it, but otherwise he had his whole army against the Dothraki.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Defending your home from foreign invaders is a strong motivator and source of "fighting spirit." And training (like the Lannister army had) goes a long way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

yeah whatever, it's awfully coincidental that you'd say something like this when your av's colours are red and gold, gee who uses those again????
:thunk:

FWIW the Dothraki DID steamroll the Lannisters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0QQL-G1DY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_5UQry3T4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

beanieson posted:

Last scene better be Bronn and Pod safely rowing off to Essos while all of Westeros is over run by ice zombies that kill everyone else of note.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I thought all the episodes were supposed to be longer than usual.

That said, they loving kicked off a whole bunch of poo poo quick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn it, I KNEW Arya was gonna try to jump Gendry's bones after flirting in E1. Was less certain about whether it would work or not.

Lot of people gonna die in E3. This was the episode to remind you how much like your favorite character(s) before you get stabbed in the heart.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gendry, Podrick, Brienne (watching Pod die), Sir Friendzone, Davos, and one of the Stark daughters are done. Probably a dragon, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's pretty drat funny.

Edit: So is CNN having a headline: For the record Maisie Williams is 22 years old

:lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wouldn't want to have those feature-length episodes we were promised. :mad:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I gotta say: the first few episodes have just felt off. Yeah it’s been two years, and it’s pretty much just been reunion time.

Reunion and "say goodbye" time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't think Bran's done yet, but I think you're more right than wrong.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You mean two episodes of the remaining living desperately trying to escape and the iron islands discovering that undead dragons fly

I want the dead to leave a garrison in the north to pin down Winterfell, while the dragon goes and just sinks the loving Iron Islands.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sarah posted:

I don’t think she’ll kill Jon. I’ve been doing a total rewatch and she just said in an episode I watched that was in Qarth that she isn’t going to have human children. Her dragons will be her only children.

Ah, but her source on that was the black magic witch who "saved" Drogo and as someone (I forgot who) pointed out, she might not be the most trustworthy person.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

piL posted:

Imagine how well they would have done if they put the soldiers behind the fortifications instead of in front of them.

Edit: I enjoyed the episode immensely.

Considering the dead were up and over the walls about 90 seconds after they got up to them, it would've gone worse. They had two tiers of defense prior to the walls to thin the dead army...of course it's all meaningless since once the Night King's army is wiped out, he can just wave at your fallen soldiers and wake them up to switch teams.

A Bad Poster posted:

Pretty sure Gilly got smoked too? Haven't finished watching the episode yet though

I thought that was her too, but my tv is a piece of poo poo and I'm not sure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That giant looked familiar...the one that died in the tunnel? Or outside with the mammoths?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Madurai posted:

A) horse cavalrymen who had B) never been defeated and were C) never big on discipline in the first place. The miracle was that they waited as long as they did before turning themselves into human projectiles against an enemy who out-horded them.

It's not like misuse of cavalry is a rarity in history, either.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Here's a headscratcher that I had: Didn't they repeatedly say that this was going to be the biggest battle in TV and film history?
When I kept hearing that I figured they'd be operating on technical terms like non-CGI, or most extras involved throughout shooting, or some other metric, to even compete, and I still enjoyed the heck out of the episode, but how was that even remotely close to the biggest battle in history?

It was about 100 minutes long. I don't remember ever sitting through anything besides a documentary that went on like that. That most people weren't bored 15 minutes in is pretty drat impressive. Long battle scenes are tough to pull off for anyone.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 29, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nobody who died mattered. That and the choice to make it as dark as possible are my biggest issues. We should've lost at least one Stark/Lannister.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TCD posted:

Arya: List of names - but it will be too much I think if Arya kills both Cersei and the NK. Maybe she'll die fighting against the Mountain and we'll get cleganebowl.

This is actually what I was thinking today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It makes sense for her to die soon. Having her kill the Night King and Cersei would be pretty lovely, and that leaves the Mountain, Ilyn Payne, and maybe the Hound...she doesn't seem too interested in killing him, but I could see her letting him live until he stops being useful. She'll probably get Payne, but after that? I dunno. If she gets the Mountain that rules out Clegainebowl which I think the producers WANT to do, and yeah I don't think they'll let Arya take out both big bads. So she's a goner.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I like how the general favorites to win the throne are an inbred psychopath and one of the worst battlefield commanders in the series.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Let's not forget baby executions throughout the city.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was Joeffry and Janos Slynt. Tyrion even shits on her for being unable to control her son.

You think she spoke up against it when the plan was formed? Naaaaaah. Her reaction when Tyrion calls her out makes it clear she was on board with infanticide.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Pretty sure those are the norm for these armies given that Gregor Clegane was commanding forces for a while and he is a real rape enthusiast (tm)

The norm for Lannisters, Greyjoys, and Targaryans. I don't see the Tyrells, Starks, or Martells doing that.

It's also likely that Dany's cities in Slaver's Bay are suffering shortages of food and other supplies, since the slave-holding cities they have to trade with to survive don't really want to go anywhere near there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It hit me a bit late, especially after I already said I originally expected the battle of living vs. dead to be like three episodes to close out the show, but we've essentially had 7 seasons of build-up for the White Walkers to gently caress poo poo up, and then they're waxed in a single episode after having spent like half an episode loving up even the remotest bit of Westeros since breaking through the wall.

I'd say the crown of "wettest-fart failure post-huge-buildup" safely passes from Stannis to the Night King.

The main focus of the show has always been the human politics. The dead were always the "other" issue.

Dead Reckoning posted:

After thinking on it, I'm really disappointed by the producers' post show bit where they say that they thought they had to give Lyanna Mormont a worthwhile, deserving death. The thing that I really liked about the early seasons of the show, what made it good and suspenseful, was that who lived or died, and how they died, wasn't tied to audience expectations, or fan favoritism, or whether they deserved it. You can write a great show about the wicked being unpunished, I submit Breaking Bad as an example.

This I agree with, although hearing her armor/bones get crushed was pretty metal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sarah posted:

My prediction:

Jamie is going to die heroically saving somebody’s rear end (probably Sansa). Arya is going to take his face, get close to and kill Cersei, then take the throne. (I’m not like a huge GoT nerd so I don’t know the conditions of taking someone’s face. Do you have to actually be the one to kill them or can they just be dead by some other means?) This will cause turmoil between Dany and Jon. Final showdown will be Dany and Arya.

This is way better than whatever the real ending is.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

the gently caress everyone doing in Essos anyway none of the white walker poo poo effects them right what do they care

It’s like the North and South American continents for Westeros, maybe with a small body of water between North/South...and then Europe all the way across the Atlantic right

It's basically England and the Iberian Peninsula.

Dead Reckoning posted:

What exactly did Qyburn say that wasn't true? I don't want to restart medieval tactics chat, but equal numbers doesn't seem that great when one side has a position they've clearly been fortifying for a while, giant ballistae, fresh troops, and control of the sea.

If a city isn't well supplied (which it sounds like King's Landing isn't) siege is very effective. Fortify all you want, when tens of thousands of people inside get hungry, you have a whole new army to fight on YOUR side of the wall.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fragments of great stuff mired in poor decisions and plot armor.

Edit: Yeah I do wish they'd do a better job of managing the passage of time, but there's enough cool and enough awful that I'm not going to dwell on that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 9, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GD_American posted:

Jaime kills Cersei
Cleganes kill each other
Arya kills Jaime
Jon kills Daenarys

Ghost kills Jon and takes the throne.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

disabled winterfel veteren
every septim helps
7 bleessings

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:stare:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's gonna end like The Sopranos (which turns 20 this year :corsair: ).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Yeah, HBO.

Goddamnit.

EFB I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Honestly I think too many main characters are still alive to do anything else but rush.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is that Encino Man? Holy poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I’m telling you it’s like Battlestar Galactica

Built up all these cool concepts, ideas, and side stories, but don’t know how to write themselves out of it. This season has just been poo poo through and through I’ve been telling y’all. It just all feels rushed and them burnt out and going through the motions to finally finish this

What kills me is that BSG's ending would've been awesome if they hadn't written themselves into the corner about Starbuck. They didn't really have anywhere satisfying to go with that, and it's their own fault.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I mean to be fair, Daenarys at least has been shown to be unstable as gently caress and this is completely in character for her.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You know that old saying about monsters and abysses?

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The abyss has been gazing back into her for a long-rear end time now.

Tyrion has been trying to keep her from going ballistic literally since Jorah dropped him off.

Prediction: Bronn shoots Dany.