Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

What’s so great about Sekiro is you only beat bosses by mastering them rather than a lucky round

I think the very first Red Eye Ogre is the best example of teaching players this. If you just try to wail on him as hard as possible you’ll get grabbed and one-shot, so you have to be patient and learn his rhythm and then all of a sudden it clicks and you effortlessly crush him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
And then you'll have fought him 20 or 30 times over the course of the game and on NG+ he will immediately grab you and hurl you off the cliff

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah well by NG+ you realise you just run up the little hill to the left where the spear grunt is. Instantly mikiri the grunt then have a nic evil area to fight ogre where his throw won’t get you off the edge

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What's the Isshin thing you get from Emma after you master the Ashina techniques? I want to know if it's worth it or if I should just use my points for more attack power.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

What's the Isshin thing you get from Emma after you master the Ashina techniques? I want to know if it's worth it or if I should just use my points for more attack power.

I think a dragon mask shard. Dragon mask let’s you convert like five exp points into an AP point iirc. Not worth it at all. Your AP will always grow totally fine on any NG+x from just beating the bosses

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I already have the dragon mask though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’m it sure what your talking about then. If you master a full skill scroll path then Isshin gives you a new skill scroll. Other than that any ending item stuff you should have gotten by now. Did you get the second memory bell?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah I bought the final Ashina skill and Emma gave me the new upgrade path (old Isshin is dead). I missed the second memory bell.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That scroll just has a few more ultimate techniques that are straight upgrades of some others iirc. Once you have all the healing and posture recovery skills none of the rest really matter outside of mortal draw and it’s upgrades as well as mikiri

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i always remove the combat arts so i don't accidentally trigger them by hitting attack while my finger's still on block ... more trouble than they're worth imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i made sure to use as many combat arts as possible on ng+ cycles to justify the time i spent unlocking all of them. theyre all pretty cool but mostly useful fighting regular mobs

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bestowal blade ftw, but ftl that they never let you use it in 99% or worthwhile encounters. Removing it from the owl and LB fights is unfair

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i liked the ashina double tap weapon art a lot

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
well done, sekiro

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The only weapon art I ever use is the nightjar little flip attack/retreat one. They all cost too many emblems for me, I throw ninja stars constantly. I dunno it's fun.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

the weapon art you get from beating inner genichiro at the end of the first boss gauntlet is pretty useful, it does a bunch of unblockable damage and it pops you up into the air so you can use it to punish sweep attacks

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mortal Draw is my go to. It makes so many fights a tonne easier in gauntlets when you use an opening to do a tonne of vitality damage so that you can build and stick their poise much faster. Owl especially is much less of a pain when you punish him harshly the first time he does his big overhead so the rest of the fight races in.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

EmmyOk posted:

Ah well by NG+ you realise you just run up the little hill to the left where the spear grunt is. Instantly mikiri the grunt then have a nic evil area to fight ogre where his throw won’t get you off the edge

You can just hook him when being thrown to not fall off any cliffs too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That’s a lot harder to do and often you won’t get the prompt

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I just spam the button while locked on and it's never failed for me

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

for the first time im trying my best to beat the game sekiro

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

bitmap posted:

for the first time im trying my best to beat the game sekiro

When the chained ogre on the stairs throws you spam the hook button and let us know how well it works

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Man with Hat posted:

When the chained ogre on the stairs throws you spam the hook button and let us know how well it works

I had to take a detour through the drunkard before I could beat the ogre because I have only played souls games where you could roll before sekiro

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just beat Genichiro at the top of the castle on the second try. Brb gonna go bench press a small car and climb a mountain

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fortaleza posted:

Just beat Genichiro at the top of the castle on the second try. Brb gonna go bench press a small car and climb a mountain

Hell yeah

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Badass

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

Well done

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

First attempt was a disaster yesterday because for some reason I thought that fight was endgame only and I'd just get a cutscene with emma and the kid for now but lol nope. Survived all of 20 seconds

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Guardian Ape down. Good lord what a fight. Trick for me was to pause right before phase 2 started and walk away for a while then come back later with a clear head and relaxed hands

e: wow the double apes were a cakewalk after that

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 30, 2022

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

Guardian Ape down. Good lord what a fight. Trick for me was to pause right before phase 2 started and walk away for a while then come back later with a clear head and relaxed hands

e: wow the double apes were a cakewalk after that

double apes are such a great hilarious gently caress you boss. also sad because u kill his GF

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's a crime that we never got substantial DLC for this game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Can you imagine prequel DLC where we played as Orangutan in his prime and had Kingfisher and Tomoe as bosses? I need it

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it does feel like there could be more memory bells

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sekiro 2 is coming, I know it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Journey to the west sekiro...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sekiro 2: Shadows Die Thrice

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Guide I've been using to mop up areas theorized that there'd be a DLC involving the black mortal blade and going to the underworld with Takeru and Tomoe as potential bosses. Based on what the sort of scenery they made for Elden Ring it would've been sick, and probably sickening too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
They need to give me more games, and the sooner the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It would be chill if they made a bunch of like 8 - 10 hour Sekiro sequels every 2 years a la a Tenchu or Onimusha-tier series.