Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This is less of a tech support issue than a request for advice, so I'm going to forego the standard format if that's alright.

I started working at a small (3-person) company a couple of years ago, and will be moving into our general manager position later this year. We've got all kinds of antiquated ways of working that I want to bring into the 21st century, but chief among them is email. Right now we have a terrible email server provided through our ISP. We're changing ISPs, though, and I've talked our owner into migrating our website and email off of our ISP and onto a normal webhosting service.

What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to set up our email. Right now, we have two problems I'd like to fix:
1. Whenever someone emails all three of us, we get three copies of the email, which isn't the end of the world, but generates a lot of clutter.
2. If one of us responds to an email, there's no way for the other two to see the response or know they've responded, unless we CC another one of us, which once again, isn't a huge issue, but creates more clutter over time.

In addition to moving our email off of our ISP, we're also all moving to Outlook since right now all three of us use different email programs. What I'm wondering is the best way to actually set up things so that we can accomplish all of the following without a ton of confusion: basically, we kind of want what is effectively a single email inbox that all of us can see and access, and identify at a glance what emails have been responded to and by whom. We'd need to be able to respond to an email under any of our names from any of our three workstations, ideally, which isn't currently the case. We'd also like to be able to read and respond to emails on our phones when we're out of the office and be able to identify when stuff's been dealt with by someone else, to avoid a distressingly common problem of two of us responding to the same email without knowing it.

I know this is probably a comically easy thing to set up, but email isn't really at all my wheelhouse, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to get started or what to search for to figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Do you have access to exchange and/or Active Directory?
Or is this more of a thing where you're going to be using outlook to connect to webmail?

If it's the former, yeah it's pretty easy, you just make a 4th e-mail address and give the 3 users send on behalf of rights, and read rights, then hook that mailbox up to your 3 outlooks as well.
Then train the users to spot the difference between their main inbox and the extra account's and how to use the 'send as' box.

That won't solve not knowing if someone else is handling something though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Do you have access to exchange and/or Active Directory?
Or is this more of a thing where you're going to be using outlook to connect to webmail?

If it's the former, yeah it's pretty easy, you just make a 4th e-mail address and give the 3 users send on behalf of rights, and read rights, then hook that mailbox up to your 3 outlooks as well.
Then train the users to spot the difference between their main inbox and the extra account's and how to use the 'send as' box.

That won't solve not knowing if someone else is handling something though.

No Exchange/Active Directory, we're likely just going to use Outlook as the client for whatever webmail service we get as part of our hosting. I don't know what Office 365 subscription we're on but I at least don't have access to Exchange.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

...basically, we kind of want what is effectively a single email inbox that all of us can see and access, and identify at a glance what emails have been responded to and by whom. We'd need to be able to respond to an email under any of our names from any of our three workstations, ideally, which isn't currently the case. We'd also like to be able to read and respond to emails on our phones when we're out of the office and be able to identify when stuff's been dealt with by someone else, to avoid a distressingly common problem of two of us responding to the same email without knowing it.

I think Gmail could be configured to do what you need. I haven't done it myself but you basically want some of the functions of what's called:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LISTSERV

A listserv worked by basically having an email address like business@business.com that'd forward an e-mail to all users on a list. If you want to give outsiders your individual emails like user1@business.com, user2@business.com that would make things more complex but it might be doable as individual accounts could autoforward to business@business.com.

As far as avoiding double responses you'd want the e-mail configured to always CC business@business.com
The sender would get a duplicate e-mail but I don't think that's a big deal.