Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm going to admit the opening got to me. I did not expect that. I know Stan wasn't always the greatest human being, but he did have a huge part in making Marvel what it is and has been. DC was the 900 pound gorilla and they've spent 50 years trying to play catch up and that's because of Stan.

I loved Goose. The movie felt like a chapter of a larger story. There weren't any major missteps other than the musical choices but it wasn't as adventuresome as it could have been. I knew when I saw the patch that it was inhibiting her ability rather than supplying it. I liked the final "nope, we aren't fighting". The second end credit scene was hilarious.

I've sat in front of some computers on dial up so I laughed a little at the references. Someone needed to be on the Space Jam website.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

I swear there was a line when they first entered Mar-Vell's Lab ship about there being many more groups of Skrull and it being implied that they were going to be off to find more. Hence not giving a gently caress about the Tesseract.

That was in the movie. The Skrulls never want to stay and no one is forced them to leave. There was no character saying "You can't stay here." They wanted to go to find the other members of their race and find a homeworld outside of the range of the Kree, CM is helping them do that. In real world terms the ending isn't "Refugees have made it to Crete, now they need to GET OFF!", it's "Refugees have made it to Crete and are now going to Germany, where they have relatives."

If there's a Captain Marvel 2 it's possible that they reveal that the Skrulls are fudging things a bit and that the Kree Skrull war is more even than it's made out to be here. It's just as possible that CM2 would never touch on it other than saying briefly that the Skrulls are all safe on a new homeworld as CM has unrelated adventures.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Fart City posted:

I have a weird feeling Captain Marvel’s gonna find itself on an equal hate pedestal. Like a considerable amount of comments on that extended Shazam clip that released yesterday were just people bitching about CM. With multiple, multiple replies to each comment. So look forward to YouTube recommending random-rear end CAPTAIN MARVEL RUINED THE MCU videos to you until the heat death of the universe.

It feels like a great deal of the hate for Captain Marvel is coming form people who are deeply invested in DC. They are personally insulted that Marvel has done more business and are latching on to anything to attempt to tear down Marvel. So yeah, in twenty years we'll have the DC Marvel war, only it will be battle lines of fat virgins wearing capes versus everybody else.

Edit:lol at the BoTL being banned.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Discussion of the film seems to actually only cover the marketing and box office. The film itself is vestigial.

People aren't reacting to the movie. They also aren't reacting to the interviews / press. They are reacting to the reactions of the reaction to the movie/press, some of which is imaginary.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Was anyone else hoping that at the end when Fury wrote "the protectors initiative" and then looked at the picture, thought better of it, deleted "protectors" and started writing something else it was just going to cut to it saying "The Carol Initiative" and him looking incredibly pleased with his loving stupid name for his super cool special project?

I can't really put my express why but that scene bugged me. Fury wasn't the head of SHIELD at that point, so rather coming from the highest authority, this super special project that's utterly important to the universe came from a middle manager? If it had been a folder he was handed only to have him cross out and change the name it would have been better.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Yeah, nobody's going to debate you other than to call you stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I wonder if it's because Bree Larsen is so normal. She's not an Olympic Godess, she's someone you'd not really notice working the register at a decent restaurant. It's like the CHUDS are going into panic mode at the thought a normal girl having power and authority.