Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
How does the multiplayer work in this game? A mate and I both picked it up for steam and we’ve independently played a few hours each. Do you just have a different start point on a fresh map and both work towards making something? Does the game still give you the little objectives at the start? Or do you play in your already existing maps from single player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I just got my space elevator and chainsaw and I feel like I’m going to ruin this planet.

Realising that the better conveyer belts need reinforced plates and also getting the smart plates for the space elevator has me with a few iron ore patches doing plates rods and screws, I’ve got another two iron ore patches running into an assembly doing reinforced plates that hooks to another two patches doing rotors to assemble the smart plates.

I feel like I need regular plates abd rods for everything but this feels so inefficient. Do you eventually move past the need for normal plates rods etc or should I be say, splitting them at the source now and instead of one ore plot making makes, have it splitting and making multiple things?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Christ. Better look for more iron :/

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’m starting a new game, I’m not super experienced but just really like this start of the game and want to see if I can make a more efficient base.

With a pure node and a mark one miner for say, iron what should I be aiming for?

The miner says on the builder page it’s 60 per minute but when I go into the actual miner building it says 120. But my mark one conveyers are only 60.

From what I can gather the 60 is what will cap it so I until I can get better tracks I should split it into two smelters for maximum efficiency and go from there right?

Edit: also what’s the fastest way to bee line for coal power or not having plant power christ. I’m in northern forest

teacup fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 24, 2020

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Rynoto posted:

The miner output is multiplied by the node's purity - ,5x for Impure, 1x for Normal, 2x for Pure. Until you get access to mk2 belts (120/minute) you'll be capped at that 60/minute output even if the miner is doing more. Once you do get the belts splitting the mk2 into two mk1s works just fine.

Ah thanks for that. I was getting a bit confused at it all.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Klyith posted:

Basically this conflicts with making a nice starter base from square one, because the fastest way to beeline coal is to throw down a quick and dirty iron line to support 2 assemblers making reinforced plates and 1 doing rotors. And get a copper line making copper sheets and cable.

You only need 50 smart plates for the first space elevator unlock, so get 50 reinforced plates and 50 rotors and hand-feed a temporary assembler, then shove them into the elevator. Now you can do coal power as soon as you have the stuff to unlock it, which is also the stuff you need to build coal generators. Plus a few stacks of copper sheet for the pipes. (But be sure to get logistics mk1 and mk2 on the way, mk2 belts are kinda important for you with all the pure nodes the north forest has.)

Once you get your first 600mw of coal up, you can start tearing down all that quick and dirty crap and make a nice starter base.

Tip: when you are trying to beeline unlocks at the very beginning, doing stuff by hand on a craft bench is worth it. Beating things with a hammer produces 2-3x faster than machines. Put something heavy on your spacebar.

I might do that. I just can’t bear the running around getting leaves thing :/

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I’m really enjoying this game but all this chat about factorio has my interest piqued.

What I like about satisfactory-
Ridiculous production chains
Writing down on my notebook what ore and production times will need to match up with how many machines etc to have the perfect production line
It’s chill

I don’t like-
Collecting biofuel to power my base but I do like the chainsaw?
Some of the finicky 3d stuff of things encroaching space etc
Liquids confuse me a bit

Is factorio good for this? Does it go on sale a lot? I prefer steam but honestly don’t care

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm a real newbie at this game, played it a bit a few months back but stopped around coal power then got back into it this week.

I'm not even at coal power again (echoing post above on Coal, fml cutting down trees is frustrating) but realising this update is coming out. Is it only going to affect the higher tier stuff? My lowly pathetic base will come out untouched?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah but if someone says they think building factories is tedious it’s like the entire game right. I do think some parts could be tightened up (specifically around belts and bigger machines as mentioned) but it’s also a certain type of game and it won’t move too far away from that.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Things like say smart plate versatile Framework etc after you’ve reached that milestone in the space elevator do you need to keep factories around for them? Or just get rid of them. I can’t see any actual other things built with them as parts

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Have they officially said what day the next update hits experimental? I’ve only seen “early June”

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mayveena posted:

Thanks. None of that is enough to make me want to update however. Hopefully the peaceful mod will be able to be updated and still work. I do wish they'd implement a peaceful mode, that would be the best answer.

They likely will eventually. I guess this is one of the downsides of an early access title.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mayveena posted:

I do hope everyone enjoys the update. What are folks most looking forward to?

I keep restarting, playing a bit and never getting past like, computer chips so I’m looking forward to maybe looking at the new zone and making a play to keep going there.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I don't really get the criticisms of it in satisfactory to be perfectly honest, although I'm not saying you can't make them just... they are trivial to mod out. it's an early access title, things are in flux. It's also just... part of the game? I don't like running around collecting grass to fuel things at the start but it's just part of the game. Sometimes with these sort of crafting / automated / whatever games I think people can get a bit funny with "I expect THIS or THAT in or out of the game" like it's a tool or something. Every game will have things in it you like or don't.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What's the best mod for mass laying foundations / walls/ etc, I had one ages ago but I can't find it, and I'm starting a new game and jfc it's so tedious

I'm in experimental

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Has anyone played Astro colony? Is there a generic automation / factory thread we can post about for it? Wondering if I should pull the trigger

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Tamba posted:

The Management games thread is probably your best bet
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

Thank you!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Are they still talking about adding a story mode to the game? Any timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I can’t watch the video at the moment, do they mention much about what the single player “campaign” looks like at 1.0?

I think there was some talk over a story and what some of the artefacts and stuff would do but unsure if they’ll ever pan out