Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Been playing this with the gf now that it's out on steam. Is it just the state of multiplayer (the game warns that its a WIP) that we get a lot of positional de-syncing? Like no issues building and making things, but trying to follow her around is basically impossible because her character will de-sync and get stuck running into an object on my end. Fighting monsters and driving the truck is also giving a lot of problems for similar reasons.

Like, I don't think we have a bad connection, is this sort of thing just to be expected with where MP is at right now?

As for planning: I'm finding myself conflicted between trying to adhere to ratios creating dedicated lines (eg: 1 mk1 Miner: to 2 Smelters to 4 rods to 6 screws) and just saying gently caress it and pooling all of the iron together, then splitting it as needed, even if it might not work out perfectly, since I can probably just add more iron in down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

space doesn't feel too endless early on, or at least, it feels like you really quickly run into "oh god i totally put this in the wrong place" or "oh hey, as I expand in this direction suddenly i realize there are deadly fart cloud zones in the way."

On a different note: I have no idea how to gauge my coal supply vs. coal plants. I also set up a very, very long belt which seems like it was maybe the wrong thing to do? Like I have access to trucks, but I didn't really want to figure out setting them up, and I should probably consider doing that?

Is there some kind of filters/sorters that come later? Right now I'm guessing if I want to use trucks they're only going to be able to carry one good for now?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nielsm posted:

Splitters and mergers have unlimited capacity, except if you built it on top of an existing belt.

I dont understand the "except" part. What other situation can splitters/mergers be used in? You can't attach a splitter directly to the output of a building, can you?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can coal be used to fuel trucks from a truck stop? I'm belting coal into the fuel portion of the truck stop but it seems like it's not fueling up the truck?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

It certainly can. Do you have another type of fuel in the truck tank? Have you tried to put a unit of coal in just to get it started?

I'll try resetting it, maybe solid biofuel got in there at some point.

Also, it looks like calculators are out of date? They say steel produces at 30/m but it looks to be 45/m

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is the alternate recipe for steel (iron bars + coal) better? Or is it just good if you want to centralize iron ore -> iron bar?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's 50% more steel per iron/coal, it's amazing.

I probably should have realized that by comparing numbers. :doh: I was wondering if maybe I was just confusing myself somewhere along the way.

I spent a good hour setting up 2 normal iron deposits with a rich coal deposit which eventually fed 6 foundries thanks to the recipe and was nearly saturating a t3 belt. Felt good, until I plunked down some beam and pipe makers and realized just how quickly I used up my production.

I found a bunch of power shards so I think I have an option to scale it up. Just kinda wish I planned ahead a bit better since I don't know if I have the space or not.

When they say "oil is limited resource" can nodes literally run out? Or is it just that there's not really enough nodes to waste on other things?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 18, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I started a solo file and used the second easy/desert start - got a lot of nice close nodes for the real early game, then I hit coal and like, the closest node is like 1500m up a sheer cliff?

I could maybe scam it with foundation & ramp but it is a very tall cliff. I don't know if I want to "cheat" by looking at a world map or something, but anyone got tips for this?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That one came up on scanner for me in my MP game. It has some iron deposits on the way back to where we put our base so it ended up being the perfect node for steel.

Meanwhile in my desert start I finally got to the top of the cliff only to find the node was only normal. :negative:

I found another node nearby but its in the middle of a ton of the gas plants.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the spot up there is basically perfect for setting up coal power, honestly glad I checked the node map because I was going to go for coal in a much worse location originally.

This is the mess I use to get up/down though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I only transport raw materials, because if I unlock a new recipe or find something that needs a specific ingredient, I'd rather take care of it at my main base. I don't even do Ingots; all forging takes place at the hub.

I can respect that logic. I haven't fallen to a consistent strategy yet - I like the idea of centralizing but it's not entirely convenient for me to do so at the stage of the game I'm at.

Doing some stuff on-location makes sense to me - I found a ton of coal by some big lakes, so I might as well just do power all right there. (And I also actually forgot my ratios a bit because after deciding I'd dedicate that spot to power and find other coal for steel, I eventually re-did the math and realized I have enough coal there to do 48 coal plants. I know it'd be foolish to call that overkill, but I assume I can probably reach another power source before I hit capacity.)

For the time being my decisions lead a bit towards how annoying it is to move things. I belt Caterium ingots rather then quickwire since its more dense in terms of belt capacity.

I have a steel facility that's doing beams/pipes/encased since i had some coal and iron near each other and not a particularly easy way to belt the steel home.

On a different note, I unlocked hypertubes, how would I want to set them up if I have multiple destinations in the same direction? Is there a setup to split the tube, or is it just easiest to have a stop-off where it dumps me out and I hop into another?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How much can a water extractor send water vertically before I need to add in-line pump? I think it mentions something on the pump description but I'm not too sure how to easily judge vertical distance. Like, having extractors on a lake and coal plants up a bit of a hill maybe not taller then one or two assemblers shouldn't be a problem that would need extra pumping, I'd hope?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think it's the reason you're not getting power, but I think that pump/pipe setup won't be good for max power. The 3-pump to 8 coal setup I saw mentions you need the middle pump feeding between plants 4 & 5 because of max pipe capacity:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd recommend fixing it now rather then when you have demand and have to worry about tripping breakers and stuff (though you can probably just configure you wires in a way that you can kickstart water pumps with biofuel)

Also, if you have the coal/supplies to spare (120 coal feeds 8 gens, so if you have 2 normal deposits or a pure, 240 coal/s can feed 16 gens, provided you have mk3 belts to move the coal) I'd scale up now as well. 500-600MWh probably won't go as far as you'd hope. (and you probably want wiggle room regardless since if you're anything like me a big chunk of your factory might be backed up, so you won't have a real picture of your max draw.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This is my current power set up

Feel like I could have maybe used the lake space a little better, but there is also another lake beside this one. Also, even before any miner and belt upgrades I still could another 1200 MWh, but I probably should worry about actually unlocking new stuff at this point. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So, I currently need to make versatile frames. My steel is in one base, and my modular frames are in another, It'd be kinda messy to run a belt, plus I need to scale up eventually.

Closer to my steel, is another 3 pure iron nodes and 1 pure copper node. Assuming I did my math right, I can set up 9 Bolted Frame makers with the assistance of some other alt. recipes.

I worry I may be making a huge mistake / going totally overkill. On one hand, I'll probably need good production for the heavy frames, on the other, I'm putting a lot of iron towards this one thing.

Also I'll need to set up 25 screw makers alone, and figure out how the hell to organize the belts.
My spreadsheeting kinda sucks because I should probably round things or something.

I've barely even begun....

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Getting a good bit into the quartz research tree unlocks the map. Worst case scenario you could just aim a road at your hub marker.

By road do you just mean laying down foundations?

Also, how do trains work? I don't have them quite unlocked, but will I need to build a loop, or can they go back and forth on a single track?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well one fuel generator does a max of 150MWh but I'm not clear on it's max fuel consumption rate. For how expensive they are to put down, I hope they're more efficient then coal generators running petro coke.

I'm curious, is the game smart enough to prioritize where it pulls power from? or does it just do it universally? With something like a refinery that sends bi-product to power, I feel like low demand could lead to a back-up. (Or alternatively, a backup of product could lead to a drop in power)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd say it's really accessible - there's nothing terribly hard about this game - it's largely just a matter of figuring out how to make thing go from point A to point B, and then later regretting how you did it because now you want more space or something.

There's optimal and better ways to do things, but you can kinda brute most anything with sub-optimal setups or things that "just barely work"?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, one of these days I'll add a 2nd floor to my main base and automate the basics. As it is I'm halfway through Tier 6 and I've never had more than 4 or 6 Iron smelters and 2 Copper smelters going, but I've managed pretty well.
Not to like, shame you, but this seems like insanity to me.

quote:

It's just that the number of assemblers and constructors needed to keep a steady supply of intermediate components seems extremely daunting, especially since someof them already require 2 intermediate components. Setting up a steady, independent production line for Motors is a thing on its own, but then you remember that Rotors and Stators go into a bunch of other stuff on their own, etc.
I feel you, but I've found the ratios for that stuff often doesn't work out perfectly, so you shove a storage container between stuff and end up with overflow. Or just make extra machines to make excess rotors/stators. So long as your rotor/stator supply outpaces motor's consumption, you''ll end up with a bit of everything.

quote:

I should fire up that production planner just to give myself a headache. Even without the plastic/oil-based intermediates like Circuit Boards, you'd really want a dedicated assembler for, at least, Modular Frames, Reinforced Iron Plates, Encased I-Beams, Rotors, Stators and Motors. Coordinating the proper numbers of screws/rods/plates for all that is...yikes.
It can get really headachey when you want to supply multiple machines with an amount that exceeds what your belts can carry. That said, you could always just be sloppy? Go find some new nodes and just do what you can there, set up tubes and just bounce around between bases. Also if you explore enough you might end up with alt recipes that can simplify a production line. I found a steel ingots -> iron rods recipe that seemed kinda dumb at face value (steel is more work to set up!) but it just lets me turn all the iron into steel, then I can balance the steel back into iron after, and suddenly a base where I was trying to figure out how to make rotors at, has the iron rod supply for it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, tbh now that I've got a steady oil outpost going, automating more stuff seems like the next thing to do, other than exploring the map I guess.

Re: the iron and copper - I just checked and the game says I've played 18 hours (Epic store says 45, not sure which is more accurate, I thought the game kept running when you alt-tabbed out?), but tbqh I haven't stopped doing new stuff for a minute! Actually the progression has been incredibly smooth, way better than a lot of other crafting games. I guess what I'm saying is I never really felt "drat I have nothing else to do this tier, maybe I should start running more iron production lines" or anything.

OTOH your screenshots are like OCD fever dreams for me (in a good way, I'd love to have actual enclosed, multi-level factories like that!) and I guess "get used to scaling up in a big way" is a good starting point for that. Your poo poo just seems so absurdly organized!

Honestly getting a little bit of multiple things going is never a bad thing (particularly if you're stockpiling) - it took me forever to get to oil because I was spending a ton of time getting other stuff "just right" when it probably would have benefited me more to just get oil started. (I'm up to 75 hours according to Steam, but that's split between two sessions)

For me, it's been less "I need more iron production lines" and more "I want to have automated reinforced plates, but I don't want to figure out the tangle that is my existing stuff, let me use a new set of deposits and dedicate them to this."

I think you might be mixing me up with someone else, (unless you mean the royal you referring to the thread :v:) I haven't posted much in the way of screenshots - other people in the thread blow me away too. Keeping stuff organized is hard, particularly without knowing what's ahead, and particularly when supplies are limited and you're just trying to make things go. I generally try to give myself extra space where possible. I've spent plenty of in-game time pacing back and forth just trying to think about how to tackle a problem.

Tenebrais posted:

Note: Power efficiency savings only apply if you're underclocking the buildings to match the supply.
Don't machines only draw power when running? If everything backed up, stuff will stop running & using power. Won't it work itself to similarly over time? (Granted, you'd be more at risk of big spikes.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think yeah I mixed you and another poster up but even these are friggin' gorgeous

Ah heck, well thanks!

You're sure to get the hang of things though - those setups are really just using foundations to line stuff up. (Mergers and splitters are very good for keeping stuff lined up, even if you aren't making full use of them)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 23, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

my main thing against this game is for whatever reason everything takes so long to do, and everything needs to be sprawling. but to do that you also need to spam out foundations which doesn't look... great and also takes a tidy amount of time to do.

why do I have to make twelve coal power plants just let me have one cool one

also the multiplayer is hilariously on fire but that's unity I guess

the map is pretty but frankly completely useless and ignoreable, especially with a focus on making foundations. it's a lot more just scanning and meandering towards a vein then going "dang check out this sweet swamp (filled with hogs)"

I mean, there's gigantic warnings that say MP is still WIP/buggy. :v: It's been functional for me, but de-syncing of player and enemy locations happens over time but it doesnt seem to get in the way of factory building in most ways.

And the reason you need "twelve coal plants" rather then one cool one is because that's like the "challenge" of the game?

I do kind of feel you on the "just put foundations everywhere."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It might be a spot with a bunch of gas? One of the closer quartz deposits in the grasslands area is in an area that I think is deemed to be a poison cloud, even if parts of it don't look it?

Like, I think I know the spot you're in because I would have to climb up a very tall cliff to get to it, or you can go through a big long spider cave.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I noticed this game makes my PC really cook. Checked performance and it is 99%-ing the 3D processing in my GPU. Anyone else experienced this and/or know how to fix? I run a 1080 gtx so it shouldn't be too taxing.

Don't have advice, but I personally noticed something similar when I found the side of my case to be really warm during a long session. Made me check my temps probably for the first time since building this PC and my CPU was running really hot (85C) - apparently my cooling just isn't all that great (but also not unexpected for my CPU & Cooler?)

But I'm wagering this game might just be intensive cause even though I'm sure there's optimizations for doing less with stuff you're not near, it probably still needs run updates and calculations a ton and it probably just scales like crazy as you build more.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

I'm just annoying myself cause I can't make nice, parallel busses with my conveyor belts.
Foundations help with that. (They create a grid for stuff to snap to.) It's still a bit of work to get belts tidy though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grasslands seemed okay to me? There's not a lot of coal, but it's also not that far, and while it's in odd spots, it's not that hard to get to.

When I started in the western desert, the coal it pointed me to was up a ridiculous cliff. There's certainly some more easily accessible coal in that area, but it was out of range of my scanner.

Black Griffon posted:

gotta say I enjoy this lets game it out guy's voice and joke's more than zxibitzit
I think the hypertube video was both the first gameplay I saw for Satisfactory, and the first I saw from their channel. I can't help but get a slightly weird vibe from that channel, but there's some good stuff on it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that's a little annoying but from what I gather you mostly want to over/underclock to a target output - and you can specifically tweak the target output by clicking on that instead of sliding the bar around.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How have map updates worked? I only started playing with the steam release and I understand that the eastern desert got added/updated at one point. Have they added new space, or has it just been overhauls? In either case have major updates invalidated old saves?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hm, I don't seem to have an engine.ini file in that directory. Does doing something create it? (I'm on Steam Version, for what thats worth)

e: vvv Found it there, thanks!

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 10, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Holy poo poo that's really cool. I doubt I'd have the patience to pull that off because while I like to make stuff compact, I really try to make "organized" so it ends up taking up a ton of space.

is that rightmost conveyor lift functional, or just aesthetic? It contributes and odd amount to giving the building the right vibe?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Very little stops being useful, so you usually want to keep old things going and just expand and scale up to meet the demand of more complex products and make dedicated lines for the various different things. Keep an eye on the parts per minute numbers (in and out) since they're a good way to figure out ratios and how you can make the most out of your resources.

The space elevator parts don't get used in other crafts, but I think the first two or three end up as materials for later space elevator parts, so don't dismantle the production lines.

I personally don't pipe space elevator parts into the elevator itself, I just have them output to a container and carry them over as I need them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'll sometimes set up buffers even on perfect ratios, since unless you're dumping stuff into a resource sink, something will back up sooner or later.

Biofuel is absolutely a pain in the rear end. It's not a bad idea to try to push for coal before you worry about optimizing your factory.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought it was a lot more effective on my second file when I just let the smart plate maker do it's thing while I was messing around with all my new toys. By the time I cared to tackle the elevator again, I had a ton of smart plates ready to go.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hypertubes have been insanely useful for me since I setup a secondary base and didn't want to have to belt it all back to my original. Also, i've tended to go searching for new nodes and resources all in the same direction, so a hypertube hop to the other end of "my territory" saves me a ton of time walking.

I also have my power creation in a semi-remote location, and having a hypertube there meant it was easy to go back and expand it when I needed to.

This is what I've got: West is my original base with most of the early stuff, central is basically steel and higher tier stuff (with more production to the east) - North is Oil, and south is a power station. (Yellow lines are hypertubes.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I do a lot of manual early on out of lazyness and power/material limitations, but at some point it might be good to set up some kind of semi-auto biomass stuff so you can just collect & dump into containers and spend more time doing other stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wouldn't some kind of thresher be more appropriate?

Bonus points if you can also collect monster bits with it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

appropriate, sure, but bulldozer is more fun

I feel like when I said "thresher" you maybe pictured a grain harvester.

What I'm imagining, is like, two big spinning spiky horizontal drums on the front a of a big truck. I feel like that would be a kind of Ficsit solution to like, truck-based tree solutions?

I guess what i'm saying is, bulldozers feel like they don't have enough dangerous sharp spinning bits to make it feel like they'll really get those trees.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like you can't really main bus in this game like you do in Factorio because belts really just don't have the capacity, and node clusters are too far apart.

It's also not very easy to scale up input so it seems better to try to be slightly precise with your ratios, at least early on?

Things to consider for scaling up: Maybe plan, like, one "mark" ahead? Mk1 miners do 30/60/120 and Mk2 do 60/120/240, and you can always overclock. So if you're putting down 2 smelters for 1 miner, leave room for 4 smelters so you can scale up later when you're able to replace with a mk2 miner or overclock & also have the belt capacity to support it.

You can also always expand vertically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Compromise: you can blow them up and plug the holes, but you increase the risk of a random gas explosion somewhere on the map.

e: I will say that after having put a few days now into Factorio, the enemies in this game are much less of a relative annoyance. If I didn't already have multiple hours in my file I'd restart a map with no Biters or whatever the gently caress they're called. Just let me build a factory without having to worry about placing, supplying and upgrading gun turrets.

I think there should be a console command or something you can switch to at least make them passive (not attack first.)